Chapter Seventeen

A Change Of Heart

   

                “He’s pregnant… Daehyun’s pregnant…”

                Yongguk kept repeating the words in his head as his car accelerated on the road. The unknown caller had told him the place where Daehyun was left. It turned out to be a narrow alley quite far from the busy city of Seoul. He yelled at his phone, almost throwing it to the wall because his wife didn’t deserve to be there, moreover if he’s really pregnant. But the guy cut the line off just like that.

                Minsoo got really panicked. Never in his life had he seen his brother being immensely angry that he looked like he would murder anybody in his sight at the moment. So Minsoo just stayed quiet until Yongguk told him to go home and before he could protest, the elder was gone.

                The car made a screeching sound when it stopped by the roadside. Yongguk frantically got out of the car and rushed to the stated place. There were many buildings with alleys in between but since he’s an architect, every single place in the city had been kept in his mind.

                “Jagiya! Daehyun!” Yongguk shouted as he ran further into the alley. It was dark, dirty and smelled really bad. He couldn’t even imagine that his wife was left there, all alone.

                “Urgh…”

                A whimper caught Yongguk’s attention. He knew that voice so well. It was coming from behind the large trash, under the black covers. “Daehyun!”

                Yongguk kneeled on the ground, yanking the covers away. Daehyun was really there, with his eyes closed, and bruised. His cheeks were also turning blue, his head and lips were bleeding. Yongguk couldn’t breathe. His heart felt like it was being ripped apart, his mind was jumbled up, his eyes were getting blurry because of the forming tears.

                “Daehyun…” Yongguk breathed out the air he was holding in. Slowly, he lifted Daehyun’s body, cradling the vulnerable figure closer to him. The hair in Daehyun’s face was brushed away and he softly caressed the younger’s cheek, afraid if he would add even a small scratch on it.

                Daehyun’s brows furrowed as he tried to open his eyes. “Yeo…bo…” He looked at his husband with eyes half lidded. His face contorted in such a painful way that Yongguk almost couldn’t bear to watch.

                “It…h-hurts…” Daehyun cried, his shaking hands clutching tightly to the shirt on his stomach.

                Yongguk traced down Daehyun’s body. He placed his hand on top of Daehyun’s over the stomach. Maybe, it’s true that Daehyun was pregnant. So he’s trying to believe the baby, their child was still there. But when he saw blood pooling around Daehyun’s bottom, he knew he shouldn’t be hoping too much.

                “It’s okay…” Yongguk kissed Daehyun on the forehead. “It’s okay, you’re going to be fine…” He assured tough his voice was trembling. Wrapping Daehyun’s body back into the covers, Yongguk carried him to the car in haste. He carefully placed his wife in the passenger’s seat. “Please hold on a little longer, jagi,” He once again pressed his lips on Daehyun’s head although the younger was falling into and out of his conscious state.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                “Your wife’s 14 weeks pregnant,” Said the doctor, his tone was sympathetic, surely not what Yongguk expected it to be if he was told that he’s going to be a father. The middle-aged doctor looked at him with pursed lips and Yongguk seemed to know what’s coming next.

                “But the baby…couldn’t be save…”

                Yongguk could only clasp his mouth, tilting his head up in order to prevent the tears from falling down again. He just knew that his wife was carrying his child but the baby was no longer there. It’s a mixed feeling of guilt, sadness and disappointment that couldn’t be expressed with words. He was supposed to have a child. His wife was carrying the baby for more than three months but yet none of them knew. It was as if they had thrown away a present they received without opening in to see that it’s actually the greatest gift in their life.

                “And since the injuries are pretty bad, it might be a little hard for your wife to get pregnant after this. But never lose hope. Keep trying,” He gave Yongguk a pat on the shoulder. Yongguk dropped head and nodded silently.

                “I’m sorry…” With that, the doctor walked away from where they were standing which was in front of Daehyun’s ward.

                Yongguk lingered in the same spot for a while. He needed some time for himself to calm down and get his mind straight before meeting his wife. Daehyun still didn’t know about any of this. Yongguk had a thought on how cruel it would be to tell Daehyun about it. He wished he could just shut his mouth and pretend none of this happened. But then it would be even crueler.

                He stopped in front of the door, peering into the room through the glass. Daehyun’s face was cleaned and patched up. It’s a bit pale but still as beautiful as ever. The fact that he had seen the peaceful angelic face writhed in pain was hard to accept. It just felt like a bad dream. He’s truly an irresponsible husband for letting his beloved wife to go through all of this.

                Yongguk pushed the door to get in before slowly closing it back. He looked like a mess with his white office shirt pulled out from his pants and his sleeves rolled up because of the blood stains. Sitting down on a chair beside his wife, Yongguk the soft locks of Daehyun’s hair. His other hand was rubbing the back of Daehyun’s hand.

                Somehow his act had awakened the person lying on the bed. Daehyun’s eyes squinted open as he tried to adjust to the bright lights. They roamed around the white ceiling in haze. He was totally confused about everything.

                “Hey…” Yongguk once again caressed Daehyun’s head, telling the younger that he was there. “Jagiya…?”

                Daehyun slightly turned his head to the side. “Yeobo…” He’s relieved to see the older man by his side. He tried to widen his eyes but because of the bruises, he looked like he’s getting sleepy right after waking up.

               The sudden throbbing of his head made him hissed in pain. Then he remembered, when he’s brought to an unfamiliar place, when he saw Jihyun, when he’s beaten up to death. “How did I get in here?” He asked because after those incidents, it’s all black.

                Yongguk couldn’t look into the younger’s eyes. He darted his eyes elsewhere, failed to act calm in front of Daehyun. It seemed that Daehyun didn’t remember meeting him in the alley.

                “Yeobo, what’s wrong?” Daehyun shifted his body in order to get a clearer view of his agitated husband. A new thing he discovered while doing that was the cramped feeling below his stomach. He pressed a hand over the painful spot as he let out a low groan.

                “Are you okay?” Yongguk asked worriedly.

                Flashes of the scene when his stomach was kicked by Jihyun came across Daehyun’s mind. Only then he remembered how tortured his stomach was in that time. There’s something he didn’t know and Yongguk was keeping it from him. He looked up at his husband with fear in his eyes. “Something’s wrong with me, right…?”

                Yongguk opened his mouth though he’s still trying to find the right words for a start. Daehyun was gazing expectantly at him, making him to think that there’s no any other way to tell his wife about it. He just had to brace himself for the aftermath. So he bit his lip, lowering down his head. “I’m sorry…”

                “But why?” Daehyun was desperate. He reached out his hand to grasp Yongguk’s arm. “Yongguk, please tell me…”

                “I should’ve been there, I should’ve been by your side…” Yongguk shook his head over and over as if he’s saying the biggest regret in his life. His voice was cracking up but he wouldn’t let the tears spill in front of the other. “I should’ve protected you… I should’ve protected…our baby…”

                Daehyun’s grip loosened, his breath stuck in his throat. “B-Ba-Baby…? Y-You mean…” He paused, taking some time to piece everything together. He looked down to his belly, rubbing it softly before his hand began to quiver. He clenched his teeth as the first tear rolled down his cheek. “H-How’s our b-baby??”

                They stared at each other. No words were needed at the moment. Yongguk’s doleful eyes were telling him everything. Blood rushed to his head, his heart thumped loudly. It was insane. He felt angry. He felt sad. He felt that it’s not fair for him. Daehyun brought up his hands, grabbing his hair into fists when his head felt like it’s going to burst.

               Yongguk just couldn’t stand seeing his wife in that state. “Jagi, I’m sorry,” Yongguk stood up before embracing Daehyun in his arms, lifting the smaller man’s body slightly from the bed. His eyes were burning, his lips were trembling from holding the tears. So he closed his eyes, brows knitting together while his lips pressed onto the top of Daehyun’s head.

                Daehyun clawed the elder’s back. All the injuries on his body was nothing to be compared to the pain in his heart. He screamed his lugs out, screeching away the agony and they were all muffled by Yongguk’s chest that was willing to take them in.

                “I’m sorry…”

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                Things eventually cooled down after quite a while. Yongguk was afraid that Daehyun would never stop crying. But the doctor had come to check on him before giving some pills for Daehyun to take. Now he was spacing out while lying on his side with his back facing Yongguk.

                Yongguk was still running his hand on Daehyun’s head. He had climbed the bed and sat beside the other with his legs stretched out. “Are you sleeping?”

                “No,” Daehyun retorted in a flat tone. He loved the way Yongguk’s kneading hand soothing his headache. It was exactly what he needed after dealing with all the bad things. “Did you tell our parents about it?”

                “Not yet. I’ll do it later,” Yongguk didn’t forget about it. He just wanted to put the first things first and waited for everything to settle down, for both he and Daehyun to take a breath, before doing anything else.

                “Don’t.”

                Yongguk’s hand stopped working as he arched up an eyebrow. “You don’t want to tell them?”

                Daehyun let out a heavy sigh, making the upper part of his body to rise and fall. “I don’t want them to worry. Besides, what would they say if they know that I lost my baby because I got beaten up? I don’t want any more people to get involve in our problem.”

                Daehyun was right. Yongguk didn’t have any clue on how they would react if they were to know that the culprit was his own ex-girlfriend. It could be a disaster. “Well, Minsoo’s really worried when he knew you’re missing. I guess I need him to keep it from our parents. And Joonmyeon, you know I can’t hide anything from him. It’s impossible to do it when he’s the one to help me figure out who did this to you.”

                There’s a moment of silent which was used by Daehyun to digest Yongguk’s words. He carefully turned around so that he’s lying on his other side and faced his husband. Yongguk had given him a help, also slipping an arm under his head. Daehyun looked up, his hand placed on the elder’s chest. “You know who did this to me?”

                Yongguk took a hold of the hand before giving it a squeeze. “Why didn’t you tell me she’s bothering you all this while?”

                Daehyun stared with his beautiful almond eyes, one of Yongguk’s favourite features on him. “I just don’t want to stress you out…”

                Of course Daehyun would do something like that. He always put someone else before him. Daehyun being a sweetheart had got him fallen in love to the younger in the first place. He brought Daehyun’s hand close to his mouth and kissed it fondly. “I would never forgive her on what she had done to you. I’m going to make a report to the police, I’m going to find her, I’m going to make her apologize and make sure she receives her punishment.”

                Daehyun didn’t object because truthfully, he was tired of being a good guy. He had never hated someone as much as he hated Jihyun. That woman wanted to take his husband, tried to ruin his marriage and had done the most unapologetic thing to him which was killing his child.

                Daehyun was starting to cry again and Yongguk quickly tightened his arm around the smaller body. His hand was back to rub soothing circles on Daehyun’s back. Daehyun wished the time could stop because all he wanted in his life right now was to be with his husband in peace.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                Yongguk made a report to the police on the same day. The officers had come to the hospital to take evidence from Daehyun. They were now in an effort to track down the perpetrators. Since they knew who they were, it had made their job easier.

                The same night, Yongguk just arrived at the hospital to visit Daehyun after going home to change his clothes. He got a call from the police station when he’s at home saying that Kang Jihyun couldn’t be found at her apartment. Well, it made sense if she ran away because of the offense she committed. The police would keep searching for her though.

                Yongguk was casually walking at the parking lot when he saw a fist suddenly targeting his face. He quickly dodged it, backing a few steps to see the attacker who was clad in a black hoodie. “What the ?!” He yelled once he recognized the other.

                “What happened to Daehyun?!” Inguk roared, charging towards Yongguk to grab his collar.

                Yongguk didn’t answer immediately. Something hit his mind. “How did you know?”

                “It doesn’t matter! Now tell me how is he?!” Inguk was getting angrier by the second. He made the collar tightened around Yongguk’s neck.

                “It does matter!” Yongguk pushed Inguk away before rubbing his sore neck. “The person who told you about it is maybe the same person who did this to Daehyun!”

                “What do you mean?” Inguk straightened his body, now more collected as he talked to the older man.

                Yongguk sighed. For the first time, he’s not actually mad at Inguk. “Daehyun was kidnapped and he’s beaten up. He has a miscarriage.”

                “He’s pregnant?” Inguk asked, surprised and disbelief.

                “Yeah, we just knew about it too,” Yongguk rubbed his face when the scenes where he had found Daehyun bleeding in pain flashed before his eyes. He really didn’t want to be reminded about that nightmare.

                Inguk on the other hand was trying hard to accept that Daehyun was indeed pregnant with Yongguk’s child. It made him realized that he’s really the third wheel in their relationship. He shouldn’t have being reckless in striking at Yongguk just now. “And who the hell could beat Daehyun up like that? Why did they do it?”

                “We don’t know. Maybe they can’t watch me and Daehyun being happy together,” Yongguk lied because just as Daehyun had said, he didn’t want any more people to get involve in thier problem. “Just, give me the number.”

                “It’s no use,” Inguk shook his head. “They only sent me a message saying that Daehyun is in the hospital. I’ve tried calling the same number but there’s no answer.”

                Yongguk nodded. “It’s okay. I could give it to the police for the investigation.”

                Inguk finally pulled out his phone and searched for the number in the call logs. He handed it to Yongguk and the elder copied it into his own phone.

                “So, is Daehyun fine?”

                “He’s okay,” Yongguk returned Inguk’s phone back to it’s owner. “But…he would cry if he thought about the miscarried baby.”

                Just by looking at Yongguk’s sad face, Inguk knew it must be hard for both of them. “Can I see him?”

                “I don’t think he wants to see anybody right now. He’s still mentally unstable,” Yongguk gave a bitter smile and Inguk nodded in understanding. “I’m sorry. And thanks for your help.”

                Inguk returned a genuine smile. “Take care of him.”

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                Two days later, Daehyun was ready to go home. He had been good under the supervision of the nurses and doctor at the hospital when Yongguk went to work. Actually, the elder didn’t want to because he would rather take some days off to take care of his wife. Daehyun surely didn’t let him by using the reason which they paid the bill so the hospital had to do their job in taking care of him. But today, Yongguk really took a day off to bring him back to their home.

                Once they arrived, Yongguk ran to the passenger seat and opened the door for his wife. He held out a hand for Daehyun to grab it. The younger slowly stepped out of the car and Yongguk immediately closed the door.

                “Wait here,” He uttered before running to unlock the door of their house and let it wide open.

                Daehyun frowned watching his husband acts. The elder then came running to him and in a swift movement, scooped him up in his arms. Daehyun blushed, realizing that they were out in public and other people might be looking at them.

                “Put me down, yeobo. I can walk,” He mumbled although both of them knew he walking was no faster than a snail because of the miscarriage he had.

                “No. The doctor said you can’t do any vigorous exercise for the time being,” Yongguk said, walking leisurely along the path while carrying the slim body which he noticed had lost some weight.

                “Walking, is not included in any form of a vigorous exercise, you know,” Daehyun kept poking on Yongguk’s chest to clarify his statement.

                “From my point of view, it is for you,” Yongguk looked down and smiled at the pouting Daehyun. He kicked the door close after they got in and went up the stairs to their room. “So, you can’t cook, clean the house, do the laundry, iron my shirts, or even prepare my working tools. All you have to do is rest,” He lowered Daehyun’s body to place him on the bed.

                “What if I got bored?” Daehyun crossed his arms as he leaned his back onto the headboard.

                “Then you have to rest a little more,” Yongguk stated and Daehyun huffed. He sat on the edge of the bed with his hands at either sides of Daehyun. “So what do you want for dinner? I’ll be your chef to serve today.”

                Daehyun grinned. “Anything but ramyun,” He gave a peck on Yongguk’s lips.

                Yongguk raised his brows. “What was that for?”

                “It’s my act of gratitude,” Daehyun laughed and Yongguk never feel this grateful to hear that ringing voice again after days of comforting his crying wife. Daehyun’s face was gaining back the brightness in itself as the wounds were slowly healing.

                “Alright then. Anything but ramyun coming up, my queen,” Yongguk chuckled before leaning in for another kiss.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." ―William Arthur Ward

 


I know I'm really really late and I'm really really really sorry (シ_ _)シ

I've been occupied with assignments and tests for the past few weeks and so I get a break this week. I actually planned to update this earlier but then I caught a cold and was sneezing non stop – I'm still sneezing now ugh (-д-)

I'm hoping that I can update another chap within this week coz I know this chap is not enough for my dear readers ^^;

 

Also, my 1st anniversary on aff is getting closer and I'm gonna start a new fic on that day yay! \(≧∇≦)/

 

Thank you to all upvoters, subscribers, commentors and readers! I love you!!!

 

#1000DaysWithBAP ♥♥♥♥♥♥