Chapter Twenty-Two

A Change Of Heart

 

                Yongguk got out of work later than usual. There’s no reason for him to be home early. Nobody would wait for him unless he didn’t send Daehyun away. His wife called him just now, asking if he’d had dinner yet and he said that he did with Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo.

                Yes, they’re calling each other now. No more tiresome texting which got them longed to hear each other’s voices. Daehyun always contacted him during lunch and dinner while he would rang the younger every morning after he woke up and every night before going to sleep. It felt like they’re a dating teenage couple who had a long distance relationship.

                Done parking the car in front of his house, Yongguk went to unlock the door. He was planning to take a shower afterwards, clean the house a little, watch some news, the most important – call Daehyun, and then go to sleep. Man, he couldn’t wait to talk to Daehyun even if it’s just through the phone. He grinned so wide at the thought.

                He stepped into the dark house and took off his shoes. But when the switch was flicked on, his smile faded. The place he was living in was a complete wreck. His jaw dropped and his eyes almost popped out from their sockets.

                He staggered to the middle of the living room. Newspapers and magazines were thrown everywhere. The glass vases Daehyun used to put new fresh flowers every Monday were broken into pieces. The frames with their pictures together were scattered on the floor while their wedding pictures on the wall were torn aggressively, especially Daehyun’s face.

                Yongguk’s breath was ragged as his heartbeat increased rapidly. This was a nightmare. He hoped it was. His mind strained to think about the culprit who would do this to him. His feet got him running to the kitchen, finding out it’s also a huge mess.

                He then hurried up the stairs, going to the bedroom he shared with Daehyun. It’s the worst Yongguk had seen. The closet was opened, showing Daehyun’s remaining clothes which were all ripped violently. The large mirror was broken. Everything was on the floor. The pillows burst and the stuffed bunny lost its head.

                Yongguk quickly run to hold Bokshil in his hands. “No… No…” He wailed, shaking his head in agony. Even if it’s just a stuffed toy, it meant so much for him because it’s the first thing which belonged to him that he gave to another person. And that important person was Daehyun who loved it so much.

                He collapsed to the floor, crying silently without letting go of Bokshil. That was when the image of Jihyun flashed across his mind.

                It must be her, the culprit. Wasn’t it obvious? Who else would clearly show their target was Daehyun after breaking into the house and made a mess of it? Yongguk nodded, convincing himself that he was true. He couldn’t just sit here and weep like a baby. He needed to report this to the police. He scrambled up and went to the door. But all of a sudden, the phone in his pocket rang.

                Yongguk took it out and saw an unknown number again. That time, his heart felt like jumping out of his chest since he kind of had an idea who was calling him. He never hesitated to answer it. Bringing the phone close to his ear, Yongguk carefully listen to it.

                “I see you’re taking a long time to drop the charges,” A woman’s voice emitted. There’s no mistaking that it was Jihyun. “You think I wouldn’t know? What do you think I am? Stupid?” Her tone was loud and resentful.

                Yongguk gritted his teeth in anger. “I was waiting for your call. I thought you’re already dead since I didn’t drop the charges,” He paused as he heard the other’s heavy breathing. “And you won’t be alive any longer because I’m never gonna do it.”

                “So you really want me to kill myself?!” Jihyun yelled. “How could you?!”

                “How could me??” Yongguk mocked. “I just want you to go to jail. You’re the one who wanted to kill yourself. So go on! It’s better for you to die than hurting my wife!” He snapped back.

                “Oh yeah? Then maybe, I could kill your ing wife first before I kill myself!”

                Yongguk’s breath hitched. His body was trembling as he shook his head. “You wouldn’t dare to do it…”

                “ing watch me,” Jihyun grunted. Yongguk tightened his grip on the phone, feeling like smashing it on the wall. If he did, it would be the second time he broke a phone after talking to this crazy .

                “Oh, I’m telling you, I know that your beloved wife isn’t home for the time being. And I guess, that maybe, just maybe…he’s in…Busan…?”

                Yongguk could almost see the smirk on Jihyun’s face. The sweats trickled down to his cheek as Jihyun was one step ahead in finding his wife. And the words she said couldn’t be taken lightly. “How can you be so sure about that…?” He tried to sound calm and collected. A psychological game had started between them.

                “Of course I can. I’m totally sure about it,” Jihyun chuckled. “So, see you later? I have a flight to catch up.”

                Yongguk’s eyes widened. His mind was blank while he stood rooted to his spot.

                “Ah, one more thing,” Jihyun spoke up again. “This ring is a little loose on my pretty finger. Maybe I should cut it smaller.” A little more laughs and the line went dead.

                Ring… Ring… The ring! Something hit him. Yongguk quickly turned around to look at the bedside table. The ring was gone! The ring he bought together with Daehyun for their marriage was gone! Daehyun’s wedding ring was taken by Jihyun!

                Yongguk ran and kneeled in front of it. He desperately searched for the said ring among the things that had been tossed out from the drawers. Jihyun must be joking. The ring must be here somewhere. She didn’t take it with her.

                A while of struggling, Yongguk began to throw the things everywhere. He clutched to his head, screaming his lungs out in madness and frustration. He crumpled to the floor and continued to cry. “Daehyun, I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry, jagi… I’m sorry…” With legs folded to his chest, he chanted to himself with his head on his knees.

                But it was not for long, he remembered Jihyun saying that she had a flight to catch up. Did that mean she’s going somewhere right now? Yongguk wondered before he realized. “Don’t tell me she’s going to Busan…?”

                Yongguk immediately crawled to pick up his phone that he had dropped on the floor. He dialed all the airlines in Korea, frantically asking if there’s any available flight to Busan for him. Unfortunately, it’s already late at night and all the flights at that time were full.

                Yongguk groaned. He got up from the floor and went out of the room. If he couldn’t go to Busan, maybe he could find Jihyun at the airport and stop her. But it would just take three hours if he went to Busan by car. No, the first choice was better. So Yongguk was ready to leave the house and drive to the airport. He just didn’t see it coming when someone was outside after he opened the door.

               The stranger was shocked as well. It looked like he was about to press the bell but the door had already opened. They stared at each other. Yongguk wondered what the man was doing here, looking really suspicious with a black hoodie. But the more he stared at this guy, the more he seemed familiar to him.

                “You…” He murmured as he finally recognized the man. All the past memories came flooded to his mind. “What are you doing here?!”

                The man straightened himself, a cool expression fixed on his face. “I wanted to help.” He uttered firmly with hands in his sweater’s pockets. “And my name’s Junggi.”

                Yongguk frowned. “Help? Help what?”

                “Catching Jihyun.”

                Yongguk was confused. As long as he remembered, Junggi had a thing for Jihyun. He saw the hatred on the guy’s face when he caught him having with that woman, and the jealousy while Jihyun was begging him to stay. “But why?”

                Junggi took a deep breath as if trying to prepare himself. “Remember when she kidnapped your wife last time? I was the one who called you.”

                It only took seconds for Yongguk to fume with anger. “So it’s you?!” He charged towards the other man, grabbing the front part of the sweater. He pulled Junggi closer to glower at him menacingly. “You’re in this too!!”

                Junggi struggled to peel Yongguk’s grip on him. “Hey! Chill! Listen to me first!” But he was ignored and Yongguk just kept his hold tight. “I really want to help you!” He attempted in persuading. “I want her to stop all of this bull!”

                Yongguk was becoming less tense than before. He studied Junggi’s eyes because the man didn’t seem to be lying.

                “Just…let go of me…” Junggi muttered timidly. Yongguk did as he said. He got to stand upright again and fix his clothes.

                “You betrayed her,” Yongguk stated instead of asking.

                “I did…” Junggi admitted.

               “Why?”

                Junggi shook his head slowly. “It’s just… I’m tired… I’m tired of her, I’m tired of all her wrong doings, I’m tired of listening to her!” He suddenly burst out his anger. He was quiet for the next seconds, just to steady his emotions before looking up to Yongguk.

                “I’m tired of waiting. I thought that after you left, she would love me, she would be mine. I thought she really did when she stayed with me. But after she’d found you again, everything was a lie.”

                The pain was clearly showed in Junggi’s eyes. Yongguk almost felt sorry for him. But he had been hurt in the first place when Jihyun cheated on him with this man. And they didn’t stop there. Daehyun had also suffered because of them. So maybe the fact that Junggi was hurting because of Jihyun, was because of karma.

                “I still love her though,” Junggi added. “I’d do anything for her, just to make her happy. But now, she’s not herself anymore. She’s not the same woman I know before. She’s gone crazy,” He laughed weakly. “Crazy for you.”

                Yongguk didn’t know how to react by that. It’s not his fault Jihyun couldn’t let go of him. She was the one who made him leave.

                Junggi sighed heavily when Yongguk didn’t say anything. “Listen, the only thing that I want right now is for all this to stop. You need to make her realize that you’ll never go back to her.”

                It was the same thing Yongguk had ever wished for.  “How can I trust you?” He asked, in a matter of being careful.

                Junggi shrugged. “I don’t know about that, but, I called you the other day without her permission and I came here today without her knowing.”

                Yongguk rubbed his chin, thinking that the other man did have a point. “And how can I make her stop?”

                Junggi had his eyes on Yongguk’s as if he was scheming for a plan. “I’ll bring you to her.”

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

               Daehyun was sitting on his old bed with his back leaning against the headboard, patiently waiting for his husband’s call. The night was still early but he didn’t know why he anticipated this call so much. He was feeling uneasy as long as he didn’t receive any call from Yongguk.

                He unlocked his phone before admiring his wallpaper. It’s a picture of him with Yongguk during their dinner date at a restaurant. They looked so happy with their cheeks pressed together back then. He really loved the picture but actually, he was contemplating to change it because it was taken when he was pregnant in which he didn’t have any idea about it at that time. Daehyun sighed as he locked his phone back. He wished he could turn back time and returned to those happy moments where his child was still in him, so he could tell unborn baby something like – ‘You’re my first child. I’m your mother. I love you,’ while rubbing his belly.

                Unconsciously, his hand really did that. As soon as he realized it, Daehyun hastily shook off his fantasy, afraid if he would get carried away with it. The last time he did that was weeks ago and he cried for hours when nobody else was in the house.

                Bored of waiting, he headed to the kitchen to get a glass of water. The phone was still in his grip and the uneasy feeling never subsided. He put it on the kitchen table before taking a glass and a bottle of cold water from the fridge. The glass was placed on the same table and he poured the water into it. He closed the bottle lid before turning around to put it back into the fridge, only to accidently knocked over the glass of water. Daehyun gasped as the water spilled directly onto his phone.

                He quickly put the bottle on the table to snatch his phone away. But he’s just a little too late. The screen wouldn’t light up no matter how hard he pressed the on and off button. “No…please, no…” He whimpered in despair.

                “Daehyun?” Mr. Jung suddenly appeared in the kitchen.

                Daehyun looked up and immediately feeling like crying once he saw his father. “Dad…” He whined sadly.

                “What is it?” The older man asked.

                “The water got into my phone. It won’t turn on,” Daehyun reported. He was in the verge of tears.

                “We should dry it then,” Mr. Jung suggested casually. He approached his son before taking the phone from him. The cover was removed, as well as the battery.

                “B-But… Yongguk is going to give me a call…” Daehyun finally broke into tears. He didn’t care what his father was doing with his phone anymore. The uneasy feeling was growing rapidly. He was just afraid if it had something to do with Yongguk.

                “Really?” Mr. Jung got some paper towels to lay the parts of the phone on them and wiping them at the same time. “Then you just have to call him back later,” His reply was nonchalant. “That’s if your phone turns to be alright. But if not, we need to have it fixed somewhere tomorrow.”

                Daehyun couldn’t accept his father’s idea. So he cried louder. “No… Yongguk is going to be worried about me… I am worried too right now… Though I don’t know why… I just need to hear his voice before going to sleep…”

                “Yah, slow down!” Mr. Jung whispered. “Don’t make your mom wake up,” He warned. Daehyun listened to his father but he was still sobbing.

                Mr. Jung scratched his head, thinking of a way to make Daehyun stop crying. “Here,” He held out his own mobile phone. “Just call your husband and tell him you broke your phone.”

                Daehyun pouted. Sniffling a bit, he took it from his father and dialed Yongguk’s number while his father proceeded to clean the mess he made. The first time he called, Yongguk didn’t answer. The second time he called, Yongguk didn’t answer either. After the fifth call, he gave up.

                “Dad!” Daehyun shout, almost making his father spurted out the water he was drinking. “Yongguk didn’t answer my call!”

                “Maybe he’s in the bathroom,” Mr. Jung said when he had done wiping his mouth. “Or maybe he’s already asleep.”

                “No way… That’s impossible…” Daehyun stared at his father’s phone, hoping that Yongguk would call him back. The uneasy feeling suddenly surged throughout his body, making him have severe goosebumps. He decided to send a text.

 

 

To : Son-in-law Bang Yongguk

Yeobo, I broke my phone. Please call dad back if you read this. – Daehyun –

 

 

                “Please, yeobo…” Daehyun murmured to himself. “Please don’t let me think about something bad… Please tell me that I worried for nothing…”

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

                “Isn’t she going to Busan right now?” Yongguk asked from the passenger seat as Junggi was silently driving his sports car.

                Junggi’s brows furrowed. “Who? Jihyun? What makes you say that?”

                “She called me saying that she has a flight to catch up. And she knows Daehyun’s in Busan,” Yongguk retorted.

                “Really?” Junggi glanced at the other before looking back to the road. “But I don’t think she really knows where Daehyun is. She hasn’t told me anything about it.”

                “Then, where are we going now?”

                “To my apartment. She’s there before I went to your house. If she’s not, maybe she really does have a flight right now.”

                Yongguk carefully listened to Junggi’s theory. “Shouldn’t we call the police?” He inquired.

                “It’s up to you. But I think you really need to talk to her. She has to erase all the feelings and hopes on you, or she’ll forever find a way to ruin your life with your wife,” Junggi spoke up his opinion.

                Yongguk was quiet for a moment. “Right…” He muttered. “Then I’ll just inform the police about our plan,” He took a glimpse of Junggi and saw him nodded. He straightaway pulled out his phone from his pocket. But unfortunately, the screen was just black.

                “Damn it!”

                “What?” Junggi was a bit startled with Yongguk’s shout.

                “My phone died.”

                Without hesitating, Junggi held out his own phone to the other. “Here, use mine.”

                Yongguk slowly took it. When he’s about to dial the police number, something crossed his mind. “Wait,” He turned to look at Junggi. “If I call the police, maybe you’ll get caught too.”

                Junggi sighed. “I don’t mind. I did something wrong and I deserve to be punished. Why’d you think I looked for you in the first place? I was thinking to turn myself in after Jihyun has been captured.”

                Yongguk didn’t know what to say. He was angry at this man before but now he felt pity towards him for being used by Jihyun. He’s also a victim in this situation. “Thanks…” That’s all he could say.

                Junggi chuckled softly. “No need… Just think of it as me repaying you for all that I’ve done before…” He sighed once more. “She told me she’s going to break into your house today, must’ve wanted to find and hurt your wife again. She asked for my help and I rejected. I tried to stop her, but she listens to nobody,” He turned to Yongguk with an apologetic expression. “I’m the one that should be sorry…”

                Yongguk prompted Junggi to look back to the front. He thanked god in his mind because Daehyun was safe in Busan. If he didn’t send his wife away, he didn’t know what else would happen to Daehyun. He made the right choice after all.

Returning to the phone, Yongguk finally contacted the police. “If we can get this done, I’ll totally forgive you,” He uttered before pressing the phone to his ear. Junggi smiled, gladly telling Yongguk the address of his apartment to be informed to the police.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

I’ll hold you in my hearts, till I can hold you in my arms.

 

 


 

Yeap, I'm going to stop here and start with the next chap which is hella hard to write =_=

 

Thanks to all upvoters, subscribers, commenters and readers! I love you!! <3<3<3