Arrival

Life Starts Here

Almost immediately after touching down onto the tarmac, the girls were itching to get off the plane.  Despite the rather tasty meals on the plane itself, they were starving, sore, and itching to see the country they now called home.  Once their bags were gathered, their makeup touched up and hair fixed, they made their way to the limo driver who was holding up their names on the white placard. 

 

When they approached he beamed at them, bowing politely in the middle.  “Hello ladies.  My name is Hyun Joon.  Welcome to Korea!”  Reaching forward, he held his hands out for their bags, causing the girls to laugh.

 

Oh, thank you Joon.  But we’re alright to pull them right now.  In fact, we’ve been sitting so long the exercise feels nice.”   Liz chirped, smiling and bowing pleasantly at the man who seemed surprise at her knowledge of Korean. 

 

We do have to get to the college soon.  Did you receive the address we emailed to you?”  Cat murmured quietly, also bowing. 

 

Joon nodded, his eyes crinkling as he smiled.  “Yes of course.  If you follow me, we’ll get your things into the car and be on our way.  Unfortunately you’ve arrived during the time people go to work, so there may be traffic.  But you said your meeting was not until 11, yes Miss Elizabeth?”

 

You can call me Liz.  And yes, so we should have plenty of time.”  She agreed, following Joon as he turned and walked toward a large black van, sleek and fierce looking, yet not as large as a typical limo.  Quickly, with movements belying his slender stature, Joon loaded their many bags into the van, held the door open for the girls, bowing as he did so.  Soon he clambered into the driver’s side, and quickly took off into the streets, almost immediately hitting that traffic he mentioned.

 

The girls took advantage of it and leaned back, stretching against the windows, relishing in the feeling of their muscles relaxing.  “Are you nervous, Liz?”  Cat murmured, tilting her head sideways as she rubbed the back of her neck.   “Showing your dance skills in front of the college heads?”

 

“Probably as much as you are showing your portfolio.  It’s not going to be my favorite experience in the entire world, but it’ll get me into the department!   And when you get approved too, we’ll be able to start working almost immediately.  I’ve heard that once you’re accepted, they get you people to work with within the next week.”  Liz babbled, nervously running her fingers through her hair, tucking a piece behind her ear.              

  

Cat looked at her sister and paused, seeing how nervous she suddenly became.  Reaching out her pale hand, she rested it on her knee and smiled reassuringly.  “You’ll do fine, Lizzy.  You will.  You just have to show them how talented you are and they’ll immediately put you into their highest classes."

 

twitched at the corner, and she nodded sheepishly. "I just hope you're right. And the same goes for you, too. We've worked too long and too hard for what we've gotten." Grabbing her sister's hand, she grinned and nodded. "But we've got this. And soon enough we'll take the world by storm!"

 

The girls fell into relaxed silence as they continued their drive, both of them trying to resist the urge to nap due the time change. Soon enough Joon managed to break through the traffic jam and was pleasantly driving toward the school. Cat stared out the window in wonder at the built up cities, the thousands of cars and people, and let her air whistle out through her teeth. Her stress level built up and she chewed on her lip again, and she began to tremble on her chair. Would she be good enough? What if Liz made it but not her? Would they send her home? Force her to leave?

 

Before she could dwell on that thoughts too much they had arrived at the college; a large white stone building, perfectly manicured lawn and bushes, and beautiful flowers were everywhere. Smiling at the sight she felt her muscles relax and she grinned, looking over at Liz who had a similar expression on her face. Reaching over, she re-grabbed her hand, clenching it happily.

 

"First things first, we'll bring you to your on-campus apartments. 'll help you unload your things, then you're on your own." Joon smiled at them through the rearview mirror, driving down a side street next to some small cottage-like houses. After passing a few of them they pulled into one on the end with a green door, and parking in the small lot. "This is it! One moment, ladies." He jumped out of the van, opening their door to help them out. "Welcome home."

 

Liz stepped out first, taking the key from Joon's other hand. Clutching it nervously, she walked to the front door, vaguely aware of Cat following close behind her. Opening the door, she gasped when she saw the beautiful room in front of her. Deep mahogany wood floors, cream walls, white furniture with red cushions. There was a large couch in the living room, easily fitting ten people. A large square coffee table was in front of the couch, and there were many cushions across the floor.

 

Further into the house there was a beautifully stocked kitchen, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and steel pots and pans. There was fresh fruit in a bowl on the counter, and Liz grabbed an apple, biting firmly into the sweet flesh. Grinning she looked toward the bedrooms, two beautifully plush beds, large closets, with attached en suite bathrooms.

 

"It's beautiful!" Cat cried excitedly, jumping up and down in the hallway, staring at the bedrooms. Bringing her hand up to , she bit her thumb, grinning happily. "Liz... this is our house! We're going to be living here!"

 

Liz turned around and hugged her tightly, then turned back into the living room, seeing Joon standing there beside their small mountain of luggage, smiling at them. "Do you like it?" His voice was almost nervous as he stood there, his hands held behind his back.

 

"We love it!" The girls yelled in chorus, bowing to him. "Thank you Joon-ssi!" Liz reached into her pocket to tip him but he shook his head, holding his hands out in refusal.

 

"No no, it's quite alright. Thank you though. It was my pleasure. Now have fun girls! It was a joy to meet you." His eyes crinkled again as he smiled, and he bowed again, turning and taking his leave.

 

Once the sound of his van was gone, they collapsed on their new couch, remarking about the plush cushions. Stretching out on the furniture, both girls sighed heavily, relaxing for the first time since their flight.

 

After a few moments, Cat pushed herself to a standing position, grabbing her duffel bag with makeup and unlocking it carefully. A sly smile slid across her face and she grabbed the bag from the floor. "DIBS ON THE BIG ROOM!" She cried, running toward the bedrooms.

 

"Aish! Not fair!!" The oldest protested, trying to dive after her but slipping on the smooth floors and falling to her knees. Laughter erupted from Cat's room as she pushed the door shut. "I'm older! I should get dibs!"

 

"Oh hell no! This one has a makeup table! It's meant to be mine!" She giggled from behind the door, running to the white table and opening the drawers, slowly putting her makeup away. She smiled as order was slowly brought to the chaos in her makeup world.

 

"Pshhhh... Fine. You win. The other room has a bigger closet anyway." Liz laughed and walked across the hall, carrying her backpack and duffle in with her. Throwing it onto the bed, she grinned and nodded. This could work!

 

"Hey Lizzy! Don't you have to go to your audition now?" Cat called from across the hall, having opened her door and was working on bringing her suitcases into her room and was slowly beginning to unpack.

 

"AISH!" She cried, looking at her phone. "I'm going to be late!!!" Grabbing her dance gear from her back she bolted toward the door, leaving the key on the coffee table. "I'll be back! Don't wait up!"

 

Pausing, Cat laughed weakly, shaking her head. She would never understand why her sister thought it was a good idea to have her dance audition immediately after her flight, but if anyone could do it, she could. This was their life now; it's time to get used to it.