A Friendly Face

Life Starts Here

The next few days were tricky; Cat was barely talking to Liz and when she was it was short and civil. It was hard to forgive the fact that she had bailed on her when they were in a new country, and in a bar neither of them had ever been to before. However, Cat also understood where Liz was coming from; she was celebrating a huge event in her life and wanted to blow off steam... she just hated being forgotten.

 

Both girls were getting ready for their first day of classes, and were spending the time primping to look 'just right.' Cat had dressed simply in a pair of black jean studded shorts, a loose fitting Harry Potter tanktop and a pair of black and gold gladiator sandals. Her hair was up in a loose messy bun, and she had a pair of black sunglasses on the top of her head. Makeup filled her leather backpack that was slung onto her back, along with her books and anything else she might need in her classes.

                             Untitled #5

Liz on the other hand was wearing a pair of white shorts, and a collared black and gray sweater with black and white nikes. Her wrist jingled with gold and black bangles, intermingled with pearled ones as well, while her makeup was more simple with a cat eye and red lip. She had a pair of glasses on her face, but more for show than actual necessity. All that she carried with her was a couple notebooks and pens, one tucked behind her ear; her classes much less "hands-on" than her sister's.

                              

"Cat... I-... I'm sorry." She murmured, looking at her sister who was standing by the door, her hand on the door knob.

 

Cat sighed, then turned and looked at her with a faint smile. "I know... and I'm sorry for the way I acted but-... But it just felt weird. And it hurt my feelings that you just left me at the bar for a boy you barely even met!"

 

Nodding, she rubbed the back of her neck, chewing on her lip. "Yea... I don't really know what came over me! One minute he's pissing me off because he's touching you, then the next-... the next minute his hands were on me and I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was the drink, lack of sleep or excitement... I just don't know. But I do know that this will never happen again! I promise."

 

Cat looked at her nervously, and then nodded, smiling; her eyes crinkling. "Alright. I believe you. But if it does, I'm taking all your clothes." She laughed as she opened the door, walking out into the bright sunshine and flipping her sunglasses down.

 

"Whaaaaat?!?! That's kind of harsh, don't you think?" Liz cried, running after her and shutting the door behind her. Linking arms with her sister, they chatted amicably as they walked through campus to their classes. Since they were both in the arts programs, they both had their classes in the same building, therefore making it an easy jaunt from their on-campus housing.  Once inside, they hugged quick, murmured some good luck wishes, and then headed off toward their different classrooms.

 

---Cat's POV---

Nerves had her on edge as she pushed the wide wooden door open to her classroom, unsure of what to expect.  dropped open as she saw all the tools they had to work with, placed carefully throughout a large white room; latex, molding tools, thousands of colors and brands of various makeup, and more brushes than she could begin to count.

 

Welcome to class everyone, if you would please find your station and have a seat, we’ll get started.”  Said a small, warm voice from the front of the room.  Looking up, Cat smiled seeing a small woman, slender and fair standing in the room, bowing to her students and smiling pleasantly.  “My name is Ms. Kim, and I will be your makeup instructor.  On your named station you’ll find a white train case, and when you open it you’ll find some goodies that might make your day a little brighter.”

 

Intrigued, Cat quickly opened the train case in front of her and gasped audibly, flushing red as her teacher chuckled.  There was at least $3,000 worth of high end makeup products in her box, and her hands itched to begin using them.  “Today however we shall be doing some makeup charts, so if you would be so kind as to pull out the sketchbook and colored pencils we recommended, we could get started.  In your top drawer of your station we gave you a picture of your inspiration; everyone is different so don’t think you can take ideas from your neighbors.  You’ll have one hour to design a stage makeup design similar to the creature in your desk.  Each of your inspirations have been carefully cultivated to challenge your skill set, and I’m very excited to see what you can come up with. Please, don’t immediately assume you have to create the makeup to make them the creature you receive. There will be four winners, and they will have models come in to actually execute the makeup on, so please do your best!  Begin!”

 

With eager hands she opened her drawer, and was rewarded with multiple pictures of wolves, both menacing and cute.  Pursing her lips, she spent a few minutes analyzing the photos which, thankfully, included different angles of the furry face.  Pushing aside the precious train case to make room, she pulled out her sketchbook and pencils, and quickly drew a few face shapes, along with different views. 

 

Slowly and deliberately she defined the features of the face, sharpening the jaw line, brow bone and narrowing the nose.  She smoked out the eyes but at the same time left them smoldering in an intense way, adding warm red undertones to make the eyes almost gleam.  A pale concealer with shadowing around the hollows of the eyes and cheeks made the face gaunt but at the same time vicious.

 

Alright, time is up.  Please gather your things together and place the designs on my desk.  We’ll name the four winners at our class next week.” Cat looked up, surprised that the hour had gone by so quickly!  Signing her name on the sheet with a flourish, she put away her tools and picked up her train case, dropping the sketch on Ms. Kim’s desk.

 

The small woman picked up her sketch and looked at it, her eyebrows raising appreciatively.  “Oh, you’re Ms. Bennings.  You’re Elizabeth’s sister, aren’t you?  I heard that she won the apprenticeship with SM Entertainment; that’s a large honor.”

 

Yes ma’am.  She’s quite excited and I’m very proud of her.  I hope to one day have half of the talent that she does in her trade.”  Cat murmured, bowing politely to her, smiling.

 

You come highly recommended yourself, Catherine-ah.  I was very honored to hear you’d be in my class, especially after seeing your portfolio.”

 

Cat blushed crimson, rubbing the back of her neck in her embarrassment.  “I-I hope to not disappoint you, Ms. Kim.”

 

By the looks of your sketch… you won’t.”  Ms. Kim smiled, her eyes twinkling mischievously then turned to another student to accept their sketches.

 

Wandering out of her classroom, Cat was on cloud nine as she pondered over her teacher’s words.  A smile slid onto her face as she wandered through the hallway, lost in her daydreams.  She had been let out of class early, and was now meandering through the building, curious as to what she would see.  Music came from a dance studio nearby, and hoping it was her sister strutting her stuff, she walked over, looking in the window.

 

Inside, she was surprised to see, was not her sister but rather a tall, slender man wearing a black hoodie and beanie, baggy gray pants and gray sneakers.  Music was thumping behind the closed doors, and he was ripping around in some hip hop fashion, his head bowed as he danced in front of the mirror.  

 

Hypnotized by his movements, she caught glimpses of brown hair escaping from the beanie and felt her heart begin to race.  Her hand rested on the door as she watched his passion for dancing, then saw who she assumed was his teacher walk up to him, speaking to him quietly.  Suddenly the teacher caught a glimpse of her face in the mirror, and she gasped, darting away and back down the hallway until she was back in front of the building.

 

Liz, who had been sitting and waiting for her sister to appear, raised her eyebrow when she saw the flush on her face and smirked.  “Now what did you get yourself into?”  She murmured, standing up and putting her hands on her hips.

 

“Nothing!  I heard music in one of the studios, and thought it was you… Well.. it was a boy.”

 

“A boy!  Ooooh… Little Kitty Cat has a crush!  How precious!”  Liz grinned, covering her face with her hands as she feigned amusement.

 

“Shut up!  I didn’t even see his face, so even if I did I wouldn’t be able to pick him out a line up!   How about you?  Did you see that boooooy again?”  Cat smirked, swatting at her playfully.  “Since you loooooved the way he touched you, you should try to find him again!”

 

You loved it, hm?” The same deep voice came from behind them, filled with mirth.  “Maybe I’ll have to try it again.”  The girls whipped around, and Cat laughed as she saw it was Chanyeol again, staring at them with his eyebrow raised.  He was wearing a similar set of clothing which made Cat paused, staring at him curiously.  “W-What?  What is it?”

 

It’s just that there’s someone with the same outfit as you… ”  She murmured, then shook her head as if clearing it.  “Probably just a coincidence.”

 

Yea… Probably.”  The same odd look from the club flashed across his face, and then he plastered the smile back onto his face as he looked back at Liz.  “You’re a lot shorter without your heels on.”

 

Yah!!  Of course I am, you idiot.  All girls are.”  Liz muttered, folding her arms over her chest, then looking sideways at her sister.  Obviously she was worried she would bail on her again, so she walked over and slipped her arm through hers.  “And sorry to disappoint you, but we have to go.”

 

Chanyeol shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck.  “Fair enough.  I have to go to the studio anyway.  See you ladies around.” As he walked toward the same studio Cat had ran from, she furrowed her brow, thinking.  Could there be some relation between the two boys?  It seemed too coincidental to be true.

 

“So how was your first class, Kitty Cat?”  Liz murmured, smiling faintly at her run in with Chanyeol again.

 

“It was really good, actually.  I got this beautiful new train case full of makeup and other goodies, and the teacher started the class off with a competition!  Apparently next week the winners will be having a model to do the makeup they designed, and see who has the best application style.  And she really liked my design!”  Cat grinned, holding out her new pride and joy case, her fingers itching to look at the different makeups inside.  “What about yours?  How was it?”

 

Pretty tame, truthfully.  We learned all the different techniques for teaching classes, stretching tricks and other sorts of stuff.  Then I had my own class where we focused more on the hip hop aspect of things, as well as how to exactly teach a class and identify problem situations with students.  I start work next week, actually.”  She grinned, obviously finding it tricky to contain her excitement.

 

"That's awesome!! I'm so excited for you! Do you know anything of who you're teaching? Or what you'll be teaching?" Cat babbled, thrilled that her sister is beginning to live her dream.

 

"No... not at all. But I do know that it's a boy band... So that should be fun!" She grinned lasciviously, waggling her eyebrows. "Who knows, maybe you'll find someone that tickles your fancy?"

 

Cat laughed, rolling her eyes. "Yea, sure. And the world will spin backwards, and it'll rain chocolate. You know the odds of that are slim! ...No one likes me. It's always you they like." She sighed, but smiled playfully with her sister. "I mean, that Chanyeol kid certainly seems to like you."

 

"Pfft! That kid? Nah. He's just cocky. He is obviously just trying to get a rise out of me."

 

Cat couldn't resist the jibe, and she leaned in real close, a devilish grin on her lips. "Aaaand maybe you've already gotten one out of him?"

 

dropped open that her little sister would say such things, and she gasped. "Aishhh!! Look at you now! A couple days in Korea, and you're already getting scandalous! You know I'm going to hold onto that until you have someone... then you're doomed."

 

"Again, like I said; it won't happen. It'll take a miracle to get someone to like me." She shrugged, rubbing the back of her neck.

 

"Chanyeol said that one of his friends thought you were cute at the bar. I don't remember his name, but he said he was concerned about you when-... you know." Liz hated bringing it up, but she wanted her sister to feel better. And as the oldest she had often received more attention growing up, and she knew it brought down Cat's mood.

 

Shrugging again, she laughed weakly. "Sure, Lizzy. Now, can we go home? Please? I'm tired and want to play with my makeup." Linking her arm through her sister's, she walked back toward their apartment. It had been a long day, and it was only the beginning.