Come What May

Life Starts Here

“Liz… Liz?  Can you hear me?  Please wake up…”  Cat’s voice swam through the fog of Liz’s mind, and she blearily groaned, waving her hands in front of her face.

 

“Shut up, Cat… Go back to sleep…”  She mumbled, trying to turn onto her side and crying out in pain as she tugged at her IV.  With sleep-filled eyes she stared at it with a confused expression, then reached toward it as if to pull it free from her skin.

 

“No!  Don’t do that!”  Cat cried, grabbing her sister’s hands and holding them between her own cold hands.  “You need that.”

 

“But… what happened?”  Liz murmured, trying to sit up in the hospital bed, squirming as she slipped on the sheets.  “Why am I in the hospital?”

 

“We got in a fight with some saesang fans at SM Entertainment after you left rehearsal… You were beaten up pretty bad.” 

 

Liz looked at Cat, her brow furrowed as if seeing her for the first time.  Her sister’s jaw was bruised, and nasty bruises on her arms and shoulders were peeking through her tank top, green and purple monstrosities that marred her pale skin.  “But… why are you hurt?”

 

Smiling wanly, Cat shrugged.  “I-… I protected you.”

 

“But you’re the little sister!!  I’m supposed to be one doing the protecting!”  Liz cried in protest, slamming her fist down on the sheets, causing her heart monitors to beep frantically.  Tears came to her eyes as she felt the tugs of all the monitors, IVs and various tubes sticking out of her arms, and she glared at them all but made no motions to pull them out.  “Why do I look all invalid-like?  Is there a reason I need to be half machine?”

 

“You had a severe concussion, and then passed out.  They were worried you had swelling in the brain so they sort of induced you into a medicated coma, to make sure you’re okay… You’ve been here for… a while.”

 

That caught Liz’s attention, and her head snapped toward her immediately.  “A while… How long is a while?!”

 

“…four days.”

 

“Four days?!?!?  But... But that means the video shoot is in two days!!!  I have to go get the guys ready!”  Liz cried, flailing against the tubes and such again, nurses running in to restrain her. 

 

“ELIZABETH!  STOP IT!”  Cat screamed, hovering against a wall as she stared at her sister.  “Stop… Please!  Everything’s been taking care of!  They’ve been rehearsing, and we’ve done a few makeup tests.  We’re taken care of, Lizzy…”

 

At her full name she froze, breathing heavily and shaking off the nurses, muttering how she over reacted and she’s fine now.  Looking at Cat sideways, she sighed and lowered her head.  “I feel so stupid.  I let idiot saesangs rile me up and get me to the point where I can’t help them anymore.”

 

You’re doing fine, Liz-ah.”  Chanyeol’s deep voice rumbled from the doorway, and both girl’s looked up to see him, and all the rest of the members standing behind him, various flowers and stuffed animals in their hands.  “Can we come in?”

 

The nurses nodded, explaining to them to remain calm and not excite her then quietly left the room, closing the door behind her.   Cautiously they crowded around her bed, murmuring their apologies and bowing as they watched her with worried eyes.

 

Hey, guys…”  She murmured, painfully aware of their eyes focusing on the tubes in her arms as she slid them under the blankets.  “How are your rehearsals going?”

 

Great, actually!  Cat-ah has filled in for you as choreographer temporarily.  She isn’t as sharp as you are, but she knows enough about the routine to shove us around.”  Chen chirped, pointing at Cat, who was snuggled securely under Sehun’s arm, her head nuzzled under his chin.

 

R-Really?  Cat?  How’d you learn the dance?”

 

Cat turned toward her and flushed, smiling nervously.  “I watched the tapes of the rehearsals and taught myself.  I loved the dance and wanted to learn it, but was too embarrassed to ask you to teach me… But when the hospital told us you had to stay for a while, I decided I’d offer myself as a temporary substitute.”  Swallowing hard, she shrugged.  “I’m not the best, but I figured they needed someone to at least make sure the moves were sharp.”

 

Yahh!!  Cat!  You did fine.  You certainly made someone stand up straighter.”  Suho chirped, throwing suggestive glances at Sehun who glowered in return, his face turning an interesting shade of red against his brown hair. 

 

Liz couldn’t help but laugh, smiling as Xiumin slid a large stuffed bear onto the bed next to her.  “I’m sure she did fine.  Thank you, Kitty Cat.  It means a lot.  Do you think you guys are ready for the shoot in two days?”

 

That doesn’t matter.  Are you okay?”  Chanyeol, finally speaking up again, stood nervously in the back corner, holding a small teddy bear in his hands.

 

I’m fine.  Whether or not the nurses agree, well... that’s to be decided.”  She grinned, causing the members around her to chuckle as they placed their gifts to her around her on the bed, and various flat surfaces in the room, filling her room with the sweet scent of flowers.  “Thank you everyone, it’s very much appreciated.”

 

We figured since it was our… our ‘fans’ that did this to you, it was the least we could do.”  Luhan grumbled, folding his arms over his chest and exhaling sharply.  “I wish we knew who they were… I’d love to give them a piece of my mind.”

 

I think we all would!”  D.O. observed as he stared out the window, obviously not liking being in the hospital environment.

 

We’re all just glad you’re okay, and to say we’ve been thinking about you.”  Sehun professed, smiling softly as he bowed his head, smiling.  “You girls were in some serious danger that day… and we couldn’t do anything about it.  So we’ve decided something.”

 

All of us.”  Kris boasted, hands on his hips.

 

We’ve asked President to give you two a guard of your own.  That way if anymore saesangs come near you, this won’t happen again.”  Tao assured, his hand resting on Liz’s foot under the blanket.  “We can’t have our choreo- and makeup-noonas in the hospital all the time.”

 

Or ever.”  Sehun murmured, pulling Cat tighter against him and resting his chin on the top of her head, careful to avoid the worst of her bruises. 

 

Cat… You were in here too… What did they do to you?”

 

Cat shrugged, smiling nervously. "It's.. It's nothing."

 

"Bruised ribs and jaw, nothing broken but it's a very close call." Chanyeol recited, looking at Cat with a stern expression.

 

Fire sparked in Liz's eyes and she growled under her breath, muttering obscenities and threats dark enough to make a sailor blush. "Cat, you shouldn't have jumped into that group. I would have been fine."

 

"Fine?!?! You're far from it, Liz, if you haven't noticed. You're in the hospital! For four days! We couldn't talk to you, only the doctors and Cat. We had no idea how you were! I had no idea how you were doing!" Chanyeol snapped, beating his chest with his fist at the last statement. "I don't care what you said to me in the studio; my feelings are there and I can't ignore them. And to have you kiss me, then tell me to back off in the same breath, only to get beaten to a bloody pulp in the next!"

 

Cat drew her breath in sharply, looking at Liz and Chanyeol, then up inquisitively at Sehun who shook his head slightly, signaling they'd discuss it later.

 

"Chanyeol, I... I'm sorry... I didn't want you to get distracted by... by what you may feel."

 

" distractions, Liz! Do you think I can focus knowing that, because of me, you got bloodied up right outside my door?!"

 

"Chanyeol, that's enough." Cat snapped, stepping over to her sister's side, looking up at him and ignoring Sehun's murmured pleas. "I understand your feelings, but you have to stop. You need to let her relax, and heal, and you all need to go back to the dorms, now."

 

"And you need to go home too, Cat." Sehun murmured, looking at the floor as he walked up toward him, brushing past Cat to go to Liz's beside. "Liz she's been here the entire time. Barely slept, even though the doctor told her she needs to rest almost as much as you."

 

"Sehun!" Cat hissed, grabbing his hand and trying to shush him.

 

"Send her home, Liz. Please. She's the only that will listen to you, and if you don't send her home she'll stay here until she passes out or hurts herself. Please send her home." Sehun pleaded with her, staring at her intently.

 

Liz looked up at his eyes, full of fear and worry, then back to her sister and noticed for the first time how she really was swaying on her feet. "Catherine, go home. Now. I'll be fine, and the boys need you whole for the music video shoot. Please go home, sleep, and stay there." She then paused, and looked at the rest of the members with a thoughtful look. "If you want to help me, bring her home, and keep her there. I don't care how, stay there with her if you need to; just don't let her come back, okay?"

 

Seeing how serious she was, the boys nodded, bowing deeply. Without saying a word, Tao walked behind Cat and directed her toward the front door, ignoring her protests. Pausing, Sehun looked at Liz, pursing his lip and smiling slightly. "Thank you... I'll keep her safe."

 

Nodding, she smiled as she watched him run out of the room after the retreating members. Suddenly she became painfully aware of Chanyeol still standing in the room, and she looked up at him nervously. "Y-You're not leaving?"

 

"...Only if you tell me to. Do you really want me to leave, Liz-ah?" His voice was low and husky, and he slid next to her, pulling her bandaged hand out from under the blanket and sliding his into hers nervously.

 

Pausing, she sighed, looking away from him. "I don't really want to... but I have to make sure you, Cat, and the rest of the members are rested for the film. So.. please, go home, Chanyeol..." She murmured, rolling away from him.

 

Hurt, he stared at her back for a moment then nodded, swallowing hard. "F-Fine. I'll see you later, Liz-ah." Soon he was gone, causing Liz to truly realize how alone she was.

 

 

Gloomily Chanyeol met up with the rest of the members, who were currently ushering Cat into their van, Sehun carefully cradling her on his lap. Ignoring the rest of the members he slid into the front seat, kicking his feet up on the dash and murmuring to the driver to go to the girls' house.

 

When they arrived, the boys all clambered out, exclaiming about how cute the house was. "This is where you live, Cat-ah?!" Suho exclaimed, inspecting every aspect of the house and yard.

 

Chuckling she nodded, digging in her pocket for her keys and opening the door. "Come on in, guys. Make yourselves at home. I don't really have many beds... but the couch can fit a few, there's Liz's bed and chaise in her room, chaise in my room, and plenty of blankets. It's a free-for-all."

 

"...DIBS ON LIZ'S BED!!!" Kris screamed, running down the hallway. "CAT?!?! WHICH ONE IS LIZ'S ROOM?!"

 

"The one with dance posters, you moron!" Chen bellowed as he ran past the bewildered boy, into Liz's bedroom and slamming the door in his face. "HA!"

 

"Oh come on Chen! That's not fair!" Kris pounded on the door, trying to get in. "I obviously can't take Cat's bed!"

 

"Yea!! We know who will be in there, eh?" Lay cackled, immediately claiming the large armchair and curling up in it, yawning. The sun was beginning to set, and all the members were certainly feeling the stress of the past few days.

 

D.O., Luhan and Kai were on the long couch, Lay had his chair, Xiumin was contentedly wrapped in a blanket with a pillow on the plush carpet, Chen had acquiesced and opened Liz's door, allowing both Kris and Tao into the room, Tao taking the bed and kicking Kris to the chaise lounge. Baekhyun had dragged Cat's chaise into the living room, and Suho and Chanyeol were on the floor. Sehun stood awkwardly next to Cat and looked at her, rubbing the back of his neck. "Is there a blanket I can use? I'll be out here..."

 

"No... Please. I don't want to be alone." She murmured, looking at him nervously as she slid her hand through his and sighing. "Nothing will happen... I just... I just can't be alone."

 

He nodded, smiling softly as he looked at her, very aware that the rest of the members didn't even make fun of the potential situation, just were watching the young girl nervously. He allowed her to lead him to her room, and swallowed nervously as he saw the one bed, even though he had anticipated it.

 

Cat stood on one side of the bed, pulling off her medical ID bracelet and throwing it into the trash. Reaching up she pulled her hair down, letting the light curls fall onto her shoulders and she turned, looking at Sehun with nerves on her face. "J-just a second." Turning, she walked into the bathroom, emerging a few moments later wearing light blue pj shorts and a matching tanktop. "Do you need anything?"

 

"What? Oh, no. I'm fine. Thank you." Sitting down on the edge of the bed, he kicked off his socks and jacket, pausing for a moment before removing his shirt as well and placing it on the floor.

 

Cat crawled onto the bed and with a sigh, collapsed onto the pillow and watched him carefully. "If... If you don't want to be here I understand."

 

"Cat... you said you need me. I'll be here for you. I promise." With a yawn he laid down on the other pillow, staring at the ceiling. Looking over at Cat, he saw her curled up on her pillow, looking small and scared. "Come here." He murmured, pulling her next to him, nestling her head on his chest. His hand absently rubbed her back, and he sighed, smelling her scent.

 

"They kissed... And she didn't tell me." She murmured, her eyes closed as she listened to the steady thudding of his heartbeat. "Well.. to be truthful she didn't have the chance... We went straight to the hospital afterward. And of course I wouldn't have been surprised... He's obviously crazy about her."

 

Looking down at her, he smiled softly, folding his arm behind his head. "This is true. He hasn't stopped talking about her since they met. But then again, I haven't stopped talking about you."

 

Cat's heart stopped, and she trembled, looking up at him and feeling her face burn as he looked down at her. Beneath her fingers she felt his heart begin to race, and she her lip nervously. "Sehun, I-..." What she was going to say was suddenly lost, as he turned her face up with his hand, pressing his mouth tenderly to hers.

 

"It can wait, Cat... For now, just sleep, okay?" He murmured, smiling at her dazed expression and tapping her nose with his finger before wrapping his arm around her warmly, tugging the blankets up over her and feeling her snuggle into him sleepily. "Just sleep..."

 

 

-----------

Hey guys, sorry about the delay in posting.  I caught that weird- 24-48 hour bug, and was down for the count for a couple days.  Thanks for still reading! :D  I hope you like it; I know I'm loving writing it, kekekeke.  Oh, the things I have planned for you all!! MUAHAHAHA~!