I

Taking Chances...

1


     The stars, albeit limited in numbers, still glisten above the busy city of Seoul beautifully making a certain guy in his early twenties think that after all, life isn’t that bad.

Byun Baekhyun, 19, lives a humble yet undeniably hard life. Abandoned by his own father at the age of eight and orphaned by his mother at the age of fifteen, he found himself left with no one but his brother. But it seems like life isn't really fond of him because soon after, his brother left him too. 

His brother left him with nothing but a single paper with the words 'I'm sorry. I'll come back.' written on it. He was really hurt when he abandoned him because they were so close. They were so insperable. So why? he kept asking the same question to himself. He still believed though, for the first couple of years, that his brother will comeback for him,. That he will take care of him again like it should be. But he can only wait for so much and soon enough learned to accept that yes, he's all alone by himself. 

At that time, people thought that he's a hopeless case. Some pitied him, some said he's nothing but just another useless human being lodging the earth. But Baekhyun thought otherwise. He strived hard to finish his last two year of high school with the little money his mother left him-them. And when he graduated, move to the city, never looked back and now, four years since his mother's death, he's in college.

He's currently attending University of Seoul, the most prestigous college in South Korea, taking Political Science in hopes of somehow continuing into a law school . He's on his second year and acknowledging the fact that it's not a smooth road. And it will never be. He was admitted in the university through the scholarship system when he passed the compulsary exam with flying colors so he not only have to 'pass' his subjects but also maintain a high grade.

He's working too. Two jobs actually, one in the morning and another in late night. And although being a student and working two types of job at the same time may not be an ideal way of living, Baekhyun has no choice but get used to it. He had to, if he wants to continue his studies. Yes, he's a scholar but of course the expenses he needs for research and projects is not covered by his school. There's also bills and house rent to pay so there's no time for slacking off.

Sometimes Baekhyun wonders how different his life would be if his father never left them or if his mother's still with him; if his older brother stayed for him. He's probably in his own room right now not worrying about a single thing. He thinks his life would be really wonderful if things are not as it is. He sometimes wish he could bring back the time.

A loud ringing brought Baekhyun back out of his reverie. And while he never wanted to break his gaze from the beautiful stars that made him somewhat peaceful, he had to, because his damn phone won't stop ringing. He separates his body from the small and only window of his flat and went in for a search of his phone. When he finally got a hold of it, he quickly answered it as soon as he saw his boss's name on the screen.

“Hello? “ Baekhyun positioned his cellular phone in a more comfortable way.

“Ahhh. Baekhyun-ah, are you free right now? I’m a little bit short of staff right now. I know it’s your day-off but please can you help me?” 

His boss sounded really troubled and despite feeling somewhat tired, Baekhyun is quick to agree. He can’t say no to an opportunity that will get him some extra money, can't he?

“Thank you Baekhyun-ah. See you later.” His boss hanged up and he quickly grabbed his wallet and coat and heads out to his workplace.

₰₰₰

“Live a little won't you Chanyeol? Come on go with us. It’ll be fun.”

An adorably annoying whine vibrated through a large bedroom that currently housing four guys. There's Jongin or Kai -as he wanted to called- with skin leisurely kissed by the sun giving him somewhat an adonis image. Kris, a walking demi-god who always looks like he just got out fresh from Vogue magazine. Sehun, the youngest of them all who doesn’t give a twig with what the others were currently talking about. And the last guy, which is the room's owner and the subject of Kai's nagging, there's Chanyeol.

Chanyeol, Kris, Kai and Sehun became friends due to their family connections. And while yes, they are all rich, good-looking and popular, they never acted like one. They are far from those rich guys depicted in manhwas who beat the arse out of random people just because they annoyed them. Although there's no denying that they somewhat look like that physically, but inside they’re just as normal as any other kids their age.

"I already ask for your brother's permission." Kai shook Chanyeol real hard.

“How many times do I have to tell you, I’m not in the mood Jongin.” Chanyeol hisses clearly annoyed with his friend's childish act. “Just go and have fun without me.”

“No!" Kai exclaims.  "We’re not going anywhere without you, right Sehun?” Kai turns and look at Sehun’s direction pleading for help.

“Huh?” Sehun asks absentmindedly and Kai is quick to throw him a glare instructing him to nod. “Ahhh. Yes.” He said unsurely.

“See?” Says Kai averting his gaze back to Chanyeol.

"How old are you again?"

"That's beside the point hyung." Kai smiles innocently. “Come on! Get your huge body out of the bed.”

Chanyeol sighed in defeat. “Fine! Fine!” He jumps out of his bed. “Give me ten minutes to prepare.” 

 

When Chanyeol emerged from his bathroom thirty minutes later, Kai clapped drammatically. "Wow. So much for ‘I am not in the mood’.” He mocks.

“Whatever.” Chanyeol made a face at him as he grabs his phone and wallet before heading towards the door. Stopping midway, and turns around to face his friends and gave them a blank look. “Well?  Are we going or not?” The other three quickly composed themselves and followed the tall guy outside the door.

₰₰₰

Baekhyun arrives at his workplace just barely twenty minutes after his boss ended the call earlier. The distance between his flat and his workplace is not that far; he can actually take the subway and be here in ten minutes. But since he’s still short for the month’s rent payment of his flat he needs to save in every possible way. When can I get out from this life?, he immediately pushed away the thought as soon as it came.

“Baekhyun-ah! There you are!” A man in his early thirties called out. His name is Siwon and he runs the club Baekhyun works in. Baekhyun is really thankful to the man because even though he’s still underage he is merciful enough to give him a place to work two years ago.

 “I’m sorry hyung, I’m late.” Baekhyun runs to his boss.

“Don’t apologize. I should be the one apologizing for calling you out of the blue. Don’t worry I’ll pay you double tonight.”

Baekhyun’s face lit up and mumbles a series of thanks when Siwon waved him off. He went straight to his locker and changed to his uniform. Baekhyun sighed as he checks himself in the mirror. He shook his head. 'Another night of serving people who loves spending their money in worthless things', he thought.

₰₰₰

“How are you two going to get in the club?” Chanyeol asks eyeing Kai and Sehun. The four of them now is heading to the club Kai keeps talking about.

“Don’t worry my friend; yours truly, already took care of that.” Kai smiles cheekily at him.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. True that, even though Kai and Sehun are both underage, the four of them still manages to get in any club of their choice because of Kai.  "Why am I friends with you again?"

“Because you love me” Kai fought back playfully.

The rest of the drive to the club felt like they already in one, all thanks to Kai, the president of the “Party Organization”. He keeps playing loud music and dancing inside the car. Chanyeol's suprise they haven't pull over yet.

“Aren’t you annoyed at him?” He turns to the guy driving.

“I’m used to it.” Kris shrugs.

Chanyeol sighed and massages his temples. “I’m so done with you guys.” Kris and Kai chuckles in unison.

 







And it has started my friends. Thank you for patiently waiting for this fanfiction to start. Okay so I gave you a little bit of Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s background to give foundation to the story. Also I adjusted their age. So Baekhyun is 19 here as well as Chanyeol. Kai and Sehun are 18 and Kris is 20. I’m not saying much so please wait for the next update. (Don’t worry I update fast) :D Hahaha. That’s a joke.

By the way Happy New Year dear readers! Hope you have a fun-filled year ahead. Also if you haven’t checked out my first story, “Back For You”, please do read it. It’s complete already.

That’s it for now. Till the next update!