Page 24 (It Takes Time pt.2)

Vehement Brightness! [Hiatus]

 

 
 
 

 Page 24

Chan Yeol waves and turns his back to head home.

 

“Geez… why are you so weird Yeol?”

 

 

The week passed by.

 

 Saturday, 8:00 AM

 

Ji Yeon waits outside her doorstep for Chan Yeol.

 

The night before, her mother kept insisting that she wear a dress because she was going to meet Chan Yeol’s parents for the first time. First impressions are very important, you see. Her father on the other hand, kept going on and on about how he approves of Chan Yeol and how this is about time this happened and blab bla bla. So yeah, Ji Yeon ended up wearing a dress this fine Saturday morning, and spent half of the night wondering what Chan Yeol’s parents are like.

 

 

 

 

Maybe his father is as tall as him… maybe his mother has a pretty smile

 

“Ji Yeon!”

 

Ji Yeon’s thoughts were interrupted as Chan Yeol’s voice boomed through the air. She could see Chan Yeol’s locks flying as he merrily ran to her; eyes in their usual crescent shape and dazzling white teeth showing all their splendor. Ji yeon didn’t know why, but looking at Chan Yeol made her smile today. Nothing was different though; the image of Chan Yeol scurrying to be beside her was a normal thing. So for him to seem so sparkly today, in a plain white tee with ripped light blue jeans, was weird. Just weird. Like when they were seated together in the bus and Chan Yeol asked her to do her aegyo for him. He was quite handsome back there. WEIRDDDDD~~~

 

And there was another surprise. Ji Yeon’s eyes widened when he saw a kid pulling on Chan Yeol’s shirt, desperately trying to keep up with how fast the latter was running. All thoughts about Chan Yeol flew out the window as she worried for the kid. Pretty soon, the 2 boys arrived in front of Ji Yeon.

 

 

“Yeonnie! Good morning!”

 

“Umm… yeah. Hey Yeol, you should apologize to the kid first; you were running too fast for him.”

 

Ji Yeon walked past Chan Yeol’s open arms (waiting for a hug, obviously) and crouched down in front of the kid. Kids were cute, so Ji yeon liked kids. And they were innocent little creatures, so she liked taking care of them; little people who didn’t know about the big world and who needed a guiding hand. The boy was still panting, but after a while he was breathing normally again.

 

 

“What’s your name, buddy?”

 

“I’m Kim Dong Joon. I’m five. I’m Chan Yeol hyung’s secret agent.”

 

Ji Yeon raised a brow at Chan Yeol, asking for an explanation. So Chan Yeol crouched down beside Ji Yeon.

 

“Well, I’ll explain that on our way to my house. First thing’s first: introductions! Park Ji Yeon, this is Kim Dong Joon: he’s five and he’s in the elementary of our school. He’s also my secret agent and right hand man. Kim Dong Joon, this Park is Ji Yeon: she’s in middle school like me and she’s my best friend.”

 

Dong Joon gasped when he heard Ji yeon’s name.

 

“Chan Yeol hyung, this is Ji Yeon Noona? Your princess? Ji Yeon Noona, please kiss hyung! Get married later!”

 

Ji Yeon was immediately shocked, eye brows furrowing madly and mouth falling open. Chan Yeol was also surprised that Dong Joon said that, and chuckled nervously while ruffling the boy’s hair.

 

“Hahahaha. Oh Joonie, you’re so funny. Maybe I ran too fast and that drained all your oxygen when you tried to catch up with me. Sorry about that.”

 

“What’s oxygen?”

 

“It’s a fancy word for air. ANYWAY, let’s go to my house! I’ll race you there Joonie!”

 

At that, Dong Joon sprinted ahead while laughing hysterically, saying something like “Hyung and his future wife can’t catch me!”

 

 

 

Ji Yeon glared at Chan Yeol, and he just laughed nervously. B-U-S-T-E-D. Chan Yeol stands up and tells Ji yeon to do the same; saying he’ll explain everything along the way.

 

And so he did.

 

 

 

 

“Alright Yeonnie; I’ll try to explain everything in chronological order. As I was coming to pick you up, I ran into Dong Joon who was playing with some kids. Then he tagged along with me since he’s never been to my house either. Dong Joon is one of my elementary friends at school. They call me the laugh monster because I smile too much, as you know, then I tickle them whenever I see them. But I play with seven kids, so it gets tough chasing after all of them especially since some can fit in small places I can’t reach. So I took Dong Joon as an accomplice. In other words, he became my secret agent. He tickles three kids for me, and they don’t see it coming at all. Dong Joon’ can hide really well. So he’s my right hand man too; he’s earned that position. And on days when we just chill together, I may or may not have mentioned your name to the kids…”

 

 

 

 

“And? What did you tell them?”

 

“I may or may not have told them you were the princess I was destined to kiss, so that I would return to normal.  Because before I became the laugh monster, I was a very very very hot knight. But we can’t kiss until we get married. So we’re waiting for the right time.”

 

 

Ji Yeon proceeded to pinching Chan Yeol’s ear.

 

 

“Owowowowow! Yeonnie, let go!”

 

“YAH! What kind of nonsense are you telling the kids!? I never agreed to this!”

 

“It’s just a story, OWWW! You don’t have to marry me for real, you know? OWWW!”

 

“Aish, you’re crazy! Seriously, why would you even make up something like that?”

 

“Is it wrong to dream?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Is it wrong to have fantasies of what could be?”

 

“Huh? Chan Yeol I really can’t understand you sometimes.”

 

“Owowow! What was that for?”

 

“That was for being un-understandable! I am pinching your ear all the way to your house.”

 

 

 

“Yah!” came Dong Joon’s voice.

 

“You two lovebirds play later! I thought we were racing! But then I remembered, I have no idea where your house is hyung.”

 

 

Finally, the three reached Chan Yeol’s house, much to his ear’s delight since it was painfully red now. After Dong Joon called them lovebirds, Ji Yeon pinched his ear so hard he thought she was gonna tear it off. While Chan Yeol was busy rubbing his poor ear, Ji Yeon continued to look at his house. It was rather… small? Somehow, she expected that it would at least be the same size as her house (2 floors), but it looked like Chan Yeol’s house only had one floor. And it was plain. By plain, she means that it was simply painted white and that was it; no designs at all. she was thinking that the house would at least be as bright as the owner, but it was just too simple it didn’t really make much sense. She wondered why Chan Yeol’s parents had this choice for a house. Strange.

 

 

“Alrighty then; let’s go in guys. Get ready to meet my family Ji yeon.”

 

 

Ji Yeon’s thoughts about the house was pushed aside as she started to get all nervous to meet Chan yeol’s parents. Chan Yeol opened the door and they entered what seemed to be the living room. And there she saw Kai and Sehun.

 

“Kai, Sehun!”

 

“hyung!”

 

Ji Yeon and Dong Joon remained at the door, as Chan Yeol ran to hug Kai and Sehun. The three of them then walked to the two at the door.

 

 

“Ji Yeon, Dong Joon, these are my brothers Jong In, also known as Kai, and Sehun. Kai likes to dance a lot, and Sehun doesn’t talk much until you get close to him. They’re both younger than me. Say hi to them you guys.”

 

Kai said hi and Sehun waved at them, both trying to stifle their laughter. Dong Joon also said hi, pretending to be innocent and believing what was going on (he’s actually part of the whole plot). Ji Yeon was about to hit the three idiots, but seeing how Dong Joon believed their act, she decided to play along for the kid’s sake.

 

 

“H-hi…”

 

Ji Yeon raised a brow as she spoke.

 

“Kai and Sehun, you say? Those names sound quite familiar… have we met before?”

 

 

“Nope Noona.”

 

Kai smiled mischievously.

 

And Sehun shook his head no, also smiling as though it would reach his ears.

 

 

“Alright, alright. Time to meet our parents Ji Yeon. Let’s head to the kitchen.”

 

 

Since the house was small, it only took a few steps to get to the kitchen which was at the right side of the house.

 

“Omma! Appa! I brought my friends Ji Yeon and Dong Joon!”

 

 

Kyung Soo was wearing a pink apron, chopping vegetables. And Suho was reading the newspaper while drinking coffee. The two looked up, smiled, and stopped what they were doing. Suho put an arm over Kyung Soo, and the two approached the group.

 

 

“Hello there. I’m Suho; the father of Chan Yeol, Kai and Sehun.”

 

“And I’m Kyung Soo; their mother.”

 

Ji Yeon covered to stop the laughter softly erupting. Now these people were just being silly. Dong Joon continued to say hi innocently and introduced himself, so Ji Yeon did the same. But deep down inside, Ji Yeon was already questioning why Dong Joon accepted Kyung Soo for a mother when he was clearly male. Also, there was that other fact that the parents looked almost the same age as their children.

 

 

“Wow; Dong Joon’s such a cutie. And Ji Yeon’s very pretty.”

 

“I agree; but no one can compare to you Kyung Soo. You’re the fairest of them all~”

 

“Oh please Suho; not in front of the kids.”

 

“Why? They can handle the truth dear.”

 

“Just stop it you~ You’re embarrassing me.”

 

 

Chan Yeol, Kai and Sehun were all clutching their stomachs and hitting on surfaces, trying not to explode from laughter at how Suho and Kyung Soo were acting. Ji Yeon laughed as she facepalmed. Dong Joon, being the kid he still was, stuck his tongue out in disgust at the “icky lovey-dovey” act in front of him. Even though he knew it was pretend, it was still gross of course.

 

 

 

“Alright Omma, Appa; I’ll show them to our room now.”

 

 

A few more strides across the small house, passing by the living room once again, they arrived at the shared bedroom of Chan Yeol, Kai and Sehun, which was at the left side of the house. Chan Yeol opened the door revealing a small room that contained a closet, 2 small cabinets on the opposite side, and a thin-looking mattress on the floor with a pillow and folded blanket on top. That was it.

 

 

“All three of you fit in here?” Ji Yeon asked, confused.

 

 

But before she could get her answer, a holler was heard from the door.

 

 

“Everyone! I’m here with snacks!”

 

Then in came Baekhyun.

 

 

 

“Oh, what great timing!”

 

 

ChanYeol gathered the group to the door.

 

 

“Ji Yeon, Dong Joon, this is our uncle Baekhyun. He’s our nanny.”

 

Baekhyun shrugs off the last part of the statement and winks at Ji Yeon. For that brief moment, although Ji yeon’s face did not show any signs, her heart skipped a beat.

 

 

“Rather than a nanny, I’m more of a child-care expert. People need expertise like mine nowadays, especially with children such as my nephews.”

 

 

He called us his nephews, Kai silently blurted out with a little chuckle, which earned him a nudge on the ribcage courtesy of Sehun’s elbow.

 

Having done all the introductions, everyone gathered at the living room to eat the snacks that Baekhyun bought, while watching television. By this time of course, Ji Yeon was ready to end the whole “we’re Chan Yeol’s family” charade.

 

“Ok guys, enough is enough. Dong Joon, these hyungs aren’t really Chan Yeol hyung’s family.”

 

“Yep; it’s ok. I knew Noona.”

 

Dong Joon smiled sweetly at Ji Yeon.

 

“You fell for our joke Noona~~ Noona is a silly princess! Hahaha.”

 

“Huh? You were part of this too?”

 

“Heehee. Of course; I’m Chan Yeol hyung’s secret agent! Now I shall tickle you!”

 

 

Dong Joon proceeded to tickle Ji Yeon’s arm.

 

"Tickle tickle tickle tickle!”

 

Ji Yeon wasn’t really a ticklish person, but all of Dong Joon’s cuteness was getting to her so she just pretended.

 

 

“Hahahaha! Oh no! I’m going to explode! Too much tickling!”

 

 

Ji Yeon turned the tables on Dong Joon by grabbing him and seating him on her lap. Now it was her turn to tickle him. Dong Joon’s squeals filled the air, as he struggled to get out of Ji Yeon’s lap. The Exo members smiled fondly at how the two were playing around. Chan Yeol was blushing a bit at the sight; if Ji Yeon was this good with children, she’d make a great wi... Aaaand Chan Yeol stops his embarrassing thoughts.

 

After a while, Ji Yeon decided that the tickling was enough and she let Dong Joon go. His cheeks were red and he was a little out of breath from all the laughing. He swayed a bit as he made his way to Chan Yeol and flopped down on his lap. The lids of his droopy eyes were starting to fall from tiredness. Sure it was just a small trip to Chan Yeol’s house and a tickling match with Ji Yeon, but a five year old can only take so much.

 

 

“No wonder Noona’s your princess. She tickles just like you hyung; she’s crazy! You should marry her and be crazy together. But don’t kiss in front of me; I’ll barf.”

 

“Ooooooohhh~” came the teasing sounds of the Exo members.

 

Chan Yeol just blushed at Dong Joon’s words, and carried him in his arms to cradle him. He stated to rock him to sleep.

 

 

“You’re tired, aren’t you Joonie?”

 

“Yeah… all my oxygen? Is gone now because I laughed too much.”

 

“Go to sleep then.”

 

 

Chan Yeol gently brushed aside Dong Joon’s bangs, and slowly moved his hand down to caress Dong Joon’s cheek.

 

“Good night Joonie~”

 

Dong Joon yawns and snuggles closer to Chan Yeol’s chest.

 

“One day noona and hyung will get married… And will have lots of children… and I’ll be one of them…”

 

 

Dong Joon’s eyes were fully closed now, lips slightly parted as he entered dreamland. Chan Yeol stood up and went to the bedroom to tuck him in. While he did so, Sehun and Baekhyun who were sitting next to Ji Yeon, started audibly whispering things.

 

 

“Hey hyung, Chan Yeol hyung would make a great husband.”

 

“Yeah I know. He thinks like a kid, but knows when to be fatherly. He’s cool~”

 

“Yeah; and handsome. He’s veeeery handsome.”

 

“Just not that smart though.”

 

“It’s a tiny flaw; his bright personality makes up for it.”

 

Ji yeon playfully hits the two on the head; it’s so obvious what they’re trying to do. But Chan Yeol’s her best friend; they shouldn’t mistake Chan Yeol’s feelings for her—thinking he likes her or something. And she doesn’t like him that way either. But this was a new side to him; seeing him take care of Dong Joon really was kind of cool. Unbeknownst to Ji Yeon, a small but sincere smile formed on her face as her cheeks were dusted a shy shade of red.

 

 

Chan Yeol soon came out the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

 

 

“So, did you like meeting my family Ji Yeon?”

 

“Chan Yeol, I meant your real family. You know that. Although this was a pretty fun surprise, I was looking forward to the real deal.”

 

“Hahaha. Actually, like I said before, my parents are out because of their job, so you really won’t be meeting them anytime soon.”

 

Chan Yeol pauses for a while, then continues.

 

“I myself haven’t seen them for a while… but to say that EXO isn’t the real deal is wrong—they are my real family. Aside from my older brother and uncle, they’ve been with me for what seems like forever, even though forever started at 3rd grade. You’re part of the family too Ji Yeon. I consider all of you part of my family tree.”

 

 

 

The EXO members smile at Chan Yeol’s words, and so does Ji Yeon.

 

The EXO members discreetly nod at each other.

 

 

“Chan Yeol, Ji Yeon, we have to go now.”

 

“We had fun! See you guys!”

 

“Don’t forget to get married!”

 

“Yeah; don’t disappoint Dong Joon!”

 

“Bye!”

 

 

The members left because they understood that Chan Yeol needed privacy. It was never easy for him to retell his story; just recalling it made him feel depressed. They’re not even sure if Chan Yeol was going to tell Ji Yeon everything now, but for sure he was going to spill some beans. That’s why he never really invited Ji yeon over before. He knew if she saw his house and his situation, she would be curious about many things. And he’d have to answer to that curiosity. But he wasn’t ready yet; until now he still isn’t ready.

 

When the members left, there was an awkward silence in the air. At that moment, questions were forming in Ji Yeon’s head; why was Chan Yeol’s house so small? What was the occupation of his parents? Where was his older brother? How come his uncle takes care of him? She was about to open to speak, when Chan Yeol cut her off by starting ahead of her.

 

“I know you have a lot of questions, but before that I just want to let you know I won’t provide you with all the answers. In fact right now, I’m going to tell you the only things I’m capable of telling you as of this time. Is that ok with you? I’ll be able to tell you the other stuff, but just not right now. Is that alright?”

 

 

Ji yeon noticed the hint of sadness in Chan Yeol’s voice. She soon realized he wasn’t ashamed of his parents always leaving him; it was something much more than that. But she wasn’t going to push him to say everything; she understood that he needed some time.

 

 

 

“Yeah; that’s ok with me Yeol. Go on.”

 

“Alright.”

 

I know my house is kind of small and simple, but that’s because I’m the only one who lives here. I’m not really artistic or anything, so yeah—plain white it was. My uncle used to live here too. He came to take care of me when I was in elementary—he usually slept in the couch here in the living room. Auntie couldn’t live with me because she had to take care of their business back at home. To think they were married and lived separately for my sake, yet they didn’t complain; they loved me as if I was their own child. I love them very much, and am very grateful to them.

 

When we became middle schoolers this year, I didn’t want to bother them so much anymore. So I told uncle to go back and live with auntie. At first, they both wanted uncle to stay until I reached high school, but I told them I could take care of myself. I told them I was old enough; I told them I could handle things—that they should at least give me a shot at it. So in the end, they gave me the ok and uncle moved out the next day. He still pays for the school tuition, electricity and water bills. The only difference is I’m on monthly allowance now—for food, laundry, and other miscellaneous needs.

 

Later I found out auntie became pregnant; it made me even more glad that I stopped uncle from coming over to take care of me. At least now, he can take care of his own family. He still visits me though, sometimes; to check up on me.

 

When this year started, I basically lived on convenience store food like ramyun. But when EXO found out uncle stopped coming, Kyung Soo took it upon himself to prepare my meals. In short, he really is my mother—sort of, except he’s not female. But anyways, he makes me my three meals and cleans the house sometimes. I was really thankful to him, so I took the cleaning part off his hands because he didn’t have to do that for me. Just cooking was already a life saver. I don’t clean as well as him, but I think I’ve been doing a decent job at least.

 

Suho’s been the one checking up on me always. Whether it’s about homework or if I can’t sleep at night or if there’s a cockroach in my room, I’ve got Suho on speed dial and he literally comes here flying. Even if he has to sneak out of his house sometimes. He always runs to care for me, so he really is sort of my father.

 

Kai, Sehun and Baekhyun are all brothers to me. Baekhyun just played uncle because someone needed to play that role—Baekhyun was the eldest among them, so he took it. Since Kyung Soo and Suho are a bit busy at times, these guys always make a way to visit my house when they’re free. They’re fun to joke with, they have their immature sides like I do, and I just feel like we’ve been separated at birth sometimes, because wow; I think I share a special bond with them like the one I have with my real brother.

 

Well… my real half-brother, I mean. Because we have the same mother, but different fathers. I haven’t seen him in a while too, like my parents…

 

 

Anyway, then there’s you.

 

I call you my best friend, and I assure you that you are.

 

But it’s not just that; when I’m with you, I feel more.

 

Not just a best friend, not just like a sister, but more than these.

 

 

Ji Yeon didn’t understand the last part Chan Yeol was talking about. More? What more is there than being best friends or siblings?

 

Just as she was about to ask, a knock was heard on the door.

 

 

 

“Chan Yeol! I have ice cream!”

 

Chan Yeol quickly stood up as he heard the voice. He went to the door, held the doorknob and turned to Ji Yeon with a smile.

 

 

“You’re lucky Yeonnie, you get to meet my uncle.”

 

 

Chan Yeol opened the door, and in came his uncle.

 

“Uncle, this is my friend Park Ji Yeon. Ji Yeon, this is my uncle slash second father slash best care-taker in the world, Uncle Jung Yunho.”

 

 

 

Ji Yeon stood up and bowed to Yunho.

 

“It’s nice to meet you sir.”

 

Yunho laughed light-heartedly at how formal Ji Yeon was being.

 

 

“Please; you might as well call me uncle, dear. I think I practically know you since Chan Yeol talked non-stop about you when he was in elementary. Come, let’s all go to the kitchen. I brought ice cream with me, so please grab your bowls and spoons!”

 

Upon reaching the kitchen, Chan Yeol took out bowls and spoons for everyone, while Ji Yeon sat down with Yunho at the small kitchen table.

 

 

“So, you’re the famous Park Ji Yeon I’ve heard about. Well, my nephew wasn’t wrong—you’re certainly pretty.”

 

 

Ji Yeon blushed.

“Thanks uncle.”

 

Chan Yeol brought the bowls and spoons over to the table. He was about to sit down when he remembered that Dong Joon was still sleeping in his bedroom. He excused himself and went to fetch the kid, then they ate together. Yunho was delighted to see the little boy.

 

 

“Little Dong Joon here reminds me of the baby inside my wife’s stomach,” he said warmly.

 

“6 more months to go Chan Yeol, and you’ll have a new cousin.”

 

 

Chan Yeol’s lips curled up into a smile after eating a spoonful of his ice cream.

 

“Another addition to the family; I’m so excited uncle.”

 

“When the baby’s born, I’ll be sure to send you a picture. Show your friends; EXO right? That’s what you call them? How are they?”

 

“They’re still the way they are uncle; they’ve been taking care of me well.”

 

“That’s great to hear son; I’m happy you have such good friends…”

 

 

“ummm… so… are you and Ji Yeon a thing? You know; a dating kind of thing?”

 

 

Both Chan Yeol and Ji Yeon frantically shook their heads.

 

 

“No uncle; Chan Yeol and I aren’t like that.”

 

“Not yet; but they’re going to get married and, they’ll kiss,” Dong Joon side-commented.

 

“Joonie, is that all you think about?” Chan Yeol ruffles Dong Joon’s hair.

 

Yunho just smiles at them.

 

 

“Well, for future purposes if ever, you don’t need my permission Ji Yeon; I approve of you. Come take Chan Yeol away from me whenever you like.”

 

 

After finishing their ice cream, Chan Yeol sends Dong Joon and Ji Yeon home.

 

Chan Yeol and Ji Yeon accompanied Dong Joon to the convenience store nearby, where his mother later came to pick him up.

 

Chan Yeol walked Ji Yeon home.

 

“Well, that was all I could say to you Yeonnie… I’m not ready to share about my parents or my brother. When I met EXO too, I didn’t tell them right away. Only when we finally met Kai and I heard his sad back story, did I only decide to share mine. It still isn’t easy for me, but at least you got to know how I’ve been living since you met me. I’ll say the rest when the time comes.”

 

“Yeah… that’s ok.”

 

“Well, you got to meet Uncle Yunho though. So what did you think about him?”

 

“He’s handsome Yeol. And he looks cool and smart. And he’s very nice.”

 

“Yup~ All those things run in the family.”

 

Ji Yeon hits Chan Yeol

 

They arrive at Ji Yeon’s place.

 

 

“What?? I was just stating the facts.”

 

“Very funny Yeol. I had fun coming over. Since I’m part of your family too, if you ever need anything… you know I’m always here.”

 

 

Chan Yeol chuckles

 

“Yeah. Goodnight.”

 

 

“Goodnight.”

 

Chan Yeol walks away.

 

That night Ji Yeon realized that there was so much about Chan Yeol she didn’t know. They were best friends for so long, but it seems like she’s just getting to know him now. Well, whatever he needs to say, he can say it when he’s ready. It must be something pretty serious for him not to tell her. Now, Ji Yeon’s more determined to figure out what it is.

 

 

------

Yey~ It took a while because of my laziness but another chapter has been added. Sorry for the wait T_T I suddenly decided to join a writing contest, and a new fic was born (slaps herself). I just made myself busier, but writing is fun so I just hope I can juggle it all. Here's the contest if anyone's interested :D

In Love & Insane | Writing Contest 

 

Oh yeah, and Yey for Jung Yunho being Chan Yeol's uncle! ^_^ He just has that uncle image, y'know? no? Sorry for being like this, hahaha >_<