Page 23 (It Takes Time pt.1)

Vehement Brightness! [Hiatus]

 

 
 
 

 Page 23

Oh, yeah… Shakespeare did say ‘the course of love never did run smooth’ or something like that.”

“Boy did he ever get it right. What are we going to do with all this growing affection bubbling out? I feel like Chan yeol hyung’s really going to have a hard time.”

 

 

The group arrives at the cinema and immediately proceeds to watch their movie— one entitled Divergent. As agreed upon, Chan Yeol sat beside Ji Yeon during the movie. And as cliché as it was, they both shared from a single container of popcorn (requested by Chan Yeol) and eventually touched each other’s hand by accident. If you could call Chan Yeol waiting for the right time to “unintentionally” touch her hand an accident, that is.

 

After the movie, they decided to just eat dinner together since it was rather late already. Those who needed to ask permission from parents started to make their calls. Ji Yeon noticed that both Suho and Chan Yeol weren’t calling or even texting. She thinks that maybe it’s because Suho is a very responsible person; that his parents trust him completely and never worry about checking up on him. Chan Yeol, on the other hand, is just too much of a goofball to get into any real trouble. Or, an alternative and much simpler explanation: they’re families were probably just more liberal. Nodding to herself, she settled for these thoughts. Then she suddenly realized she never had the chance to meet Chan Yeol’s family. Chan Yeol has been to her house like he almost lives there, but she was never invited over. She thought this was kind of strange, and it sparked a curiosity within her.

 

Calls have ended and they made their way to the foodcourt. After everyone was settled at the table with their meals, they thanked God for the food and started eating. Ji Yeon could have waited—she could have waited until they were alone later—but curiosity kept whispering to her ears: “Ask him. Go on. Just ask already. You’re curious; very very curious. It’s not like you’re asking for some deep dark secret.” Mulling it over in her head, Ji Yeon thought that the voice was right—she wasn’t asking for anything big anyway, so why hold back? Surely best friends would think nothing of this. Maybe Chan Yeol just never thought about inviting her, and would do so if she just asked. But, there was a bit of discomfort tugging at her heart—Chan Yeol has been her best friend for such a long time; is it even possible to not have thought about it? That’d be odd, considering how many times Chan Yeol goes to their house without even being invited. Ji Yeon’s face was all scrunched up—being torn from wanting to ask now and waiting to ask later.

 

The former obviously won the battle.

 

“So… Yeollie… I want to come over to your house this Saturday.”

 

Chan Yeol chokes on water while the others on the table ceased movement in equal shock. Ji yeon just raised one of her brows: did she ask a forbidden question or something?

 

 

“W-wow. You’ve never asked to come over before, why all of a sudden?”

 

“I just thought that I’ve never met your family or even gone to your house. You, on the other hand, know mine like the back of your hand.”

 

“Oh… ehehe. Yes, you’re right. Then I guess... I guess…”

 

Chan Yeol thinks for a while; brows furrowed and lower lip formed into a pout. The other guys worriedly watch over how Chan Yeol will respond. And again Ji Yeon is stuck there wondering what the big deal is. After tapping his chin thrice, Chan Yeol lets out a sigh and gulps.

 

 

“Ok, sure. I’ll pick you up Saturday at 8:00. Is that good with you?”

 

“Yeah… you know, how come you’ve never asked me over?”

 

“Hmm? Oh; I just never thought of it really. It’s not like I have much at my house to offer, so I guess it never crossed my mind.”

 

“Oh… I see…”

 

The atmosphere was pretty awkward after that conversation. The guys send worried glances at each other, but since they saw that Chan Yeol was taking things calmly then maybe he could handle things. Ji Yeon still had something to ask, but this time she controls herself—since the atmosphere’s kind of heavy, she’ll just have to wait until later.

 

After eating, everyone headed home. Pretty soon, it was just Chan Yeol and Ji Yeon.

 

 

“Hey Yeol, will your parents be around Saturday?”

 

“My parents? Why?”

 

“Well… I’ve never met them before, so I’m kind of excited at the thought of seeing them for the first time.”

 

“Ahaha. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think they’re out Saturday. They’re always out because of their job.”

 

 

“Oh… like my parents when I was kid?”

 

Chan Yeol pinches Ji Yeon’s nose and smiles.

 

 

“Yes Yeonnie; like that.”

 

“Chan Yeol, how come you’ve never told me? Were you lonely all this time?”

 

“Hahaha. No; of course not. Could I ever be lonely when I stick around you every day? And I have EXO too—you guys are all the family I need. I’m sorry I never told you. I’ll be better… I promise.”

“Oh… it’s alright; really, it is. But since I know the feeling of always being left alone at home, I just felt bad for you. Hahaha… and you’re always so happy-go-luck too, even though your situation is like this. You’re very blessed Chan Yeol; God gave you the power to be so bright in bleak times.”

“I also want to smile for you when you need it. My smile isn’t as dazzling as yours, but I hope the little light it offers will be a comfort to you. Like how you’ve been to me.”

 

 

Chan Yeol and Ji Yeon arrive at her house.

 

Chan Yeol hugs Ji Yeon.

 

“You’re so cheesy Ji yeon.; so full of cheese~~ like a cute cheesepuff~”

 

“Shut up; this is all your fault. Your cheese rubbed off on me.”

 

“Hahaha. Just how in the world did we get into this point of our relationship? It seems only yesterday you would be irritated with me and openly push me away. But now, you always miss me, don’t you? You’ve gotten used to having me beside you, right?”

 

“Eww, you’re doing it again—stop being a clingy cheese spray.”

 

“Sure, sure—pretend you don’t like it, but I know you do.”

 

“Yah!”

 

Ji yeon hits Chan Yeol on the arm.

 

 

“Go on, get lost doggie! Shoo!”

 

“Yeonnie, you’re such a meanie~ I can’t believe I let you bully me even though I’m older than you.”

 

Goodbye Yeol.”

 

“Yes, yes…”

 

“… actually, I think my parents might be home Saturday after all. Together with my entire family.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, hahaha. Be prepared. Oh yeah, and my hyung has been taking care of me ever since I was young—so I wasn’t entirely lonely Ji Yeon. Then later on, my uncle came into the picture when my brother had to leave.”

 

“Wait, you have an older brother? W-wow… why aren’t you telling me such important things?”

 

“Hehe, sorry Yeonnie.”

 

“I feel like you might be hiding an entire life from me now Yeol.”

 

“W-WHAT?”

 

“Chill; I was just joking. Seriously, I don’t get what the deal is with you guys. Just because your parents aren’t always around isn’t something to be ashamed of—I was through the same thing! Why do you have to hide it?”

 

“Oh… you think I was hiding it because I’m ashamed?”

 

“Yeah—I think so.”

 

“Oh, ok (^_^) let’s go with that. Bye Yeonnie~”

 

Chan Yeol waves and turns his back to head home.

 

“Geez… why are you so weird Yeol?”

 

-----

Wow, how long have I not written anything? I'm sorry! (>_<) Plus I think I'll be out for 2 weeks; the first for spiritual meditation at a youth camp thingy, and the 2nd to visit grandpa in the province :D

I'll write again soon! Happy Holy Week everyone! (Do people say that? hahaha)