Page 12 (Talk Things Out)

Vehement Brightness! [Hiatus]

 

 
 
 

 Page 12

J: “And he and his mom will be staying for dinner today (^_^). Isn’t it exciting?”

K: “Noona (-_-)… (you spilled the beans…)”

C: “WAIT, WHAT’S GOING ON?”

K: “Let me explain hyung; (bows with his face to the ground) I guess I should’ve told you earlier, sorry. I just noticed Noona was down, so I wanted to walk her home since she seemed lonely. That’s why I didn’t attend the party.”

C: “Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve walked her home instead of going to the party too.”

J: “Huh? No wonder Kai didn’t tell you.”

C: “What’s that supposed to mean Ji Yeon?”

J: “Aren’t you the fan’s favorite?”

C: “… yeah…”

J: “It would’ve been so disappointing if you didn’t show up for her party. It’s a good thing that Kai didn’t tell you. And why exactly does Kai have to apologize to you anyway? (-_-) I can walk with whoever I want. It doesn’t always have to be you, you know?”

C: “Yeah… I know… but…”

J: “But what?”

C: “… (scratches his head) never mind… I was being selfish again.”

J: “(sighs)… it was just a walk home. And another thing, it’s not like you’re my boyfriend chan yeol. Why do you have act like that?

“Yeonnie?”

J: “Oh omma (mother).”

M: “Here’s Chan Yeol’s water and juice for you and Kai. ^_^ I’ll be making dinner soon. I’m just in the kitchen if you guys need anything.”

J: “Yes Omma. Thank you.”

K, C: “Thank you.”

Ji yeon’s mother leaves

Silence fills the room

J: “O…k… Kai and I are going to study for tomorrow’s science test Chan Yeol. Want to join?”

K: “(looking sad) Please join hyung; I’ll make things up to you by teaching well.”

C: “…”

Even though Chan Yeol was feeling depressed about the whole situation, he knew that Kai didn’t mean any harm. He knew that Kai would never betray him and just wanted to cheer Ji yeon up. But he was still jealous despite knowing all these things. In the end, he decided to join them in studying; anyway he could never resist a sad-looking Kai. Kai’s a really nice guy after all; in fact, he should even be thanking Kai for being there for Ji Yeon on a situation where he couldn’t be. He doesn’t even really have the right to be jealous since he and Ji Yeon aren’t dating or anything. But the thought that some other guy had been alone with her… it was very unsettling.

Soon as diner time was nearing, lecture with Kai was coming to a close. Kai really did teach well. He made things easier to understand and related the concepts to everyday life in such a way that science actually became interesting. Poor Chan Yeol; if only he wasn’t such an average guy regarding studies, then maybe Ji Yeon would’ve asked him for help in studies instead. If it was something related to PE, (-_-) he would be so much better.

 

K: “Oh, look at the time! Omma will be home soon. If you guys don’t mind, I’ll go over to my house now and wait for her. When she arrives, I’ll ask her about dinner with you guys (^_^). You’re joining too, right hyung?”

C: “Me?... well… I’ve eaten dinner here a few times before back in elementary, … hmm… (scratches his head) let’s see, I don’t really have plans today...”

J: “Then why not? Come join us.”

C: “Oh,… ok I guess. If you’ll have me.”

J: “Sure; I’ll go tell omma”

Ji yeon leaves the room and heads to the kitchen. Kai could tell that during the whole time, Chan Yeol and Ji yeon weren’t talking normally. There was an uncomfortable aura between the two; they sounded so stiff when talking to each other. Kai knew it was all his fault…

K: “I’m sorry hyung…”

C: “(chuckles) what are you being sorry for? Ji Yeon’s right; I don’t have the right to be jealous. And another thing, if I had heard Ji Yeon was feeling down and lonely, I certainly would have skipped the party to walk with her. So it was right that you didn’t tell me. Don’t worry about anything Kai. I understand your motives; you just wanted to cheer her up. If anyone, I’m the one who needs to apologize; I’m sorry for getting all worked up about you walking her home. Actually that’s a good thing. But you see… I’ve been the only close friend of Ji Yeon for a long time… it just felt so unusual and uneasy for me to find out someone else was starting to be close to her too… and since I like her, that feeling of uneasiness turned into jealousy (-_-). I’m so sorry Kai.”

K: “There’s nothing to apologize for (smiles)”

Kai and Chan Yeol hug each other

C: “Ok Kai, go get your mom.”

K: “Yep (^_^)… um hyung, when will you confess your feelings to Noona? I mean, I know everything you do and say is a dead give-away (-_-), but she still doesn’t get it; I think you’ll have to tell her directly.”

C: “Well… I want to tell her… but I’m scared I’ll lose this connection we have… I don’t want to risk it… She’s so dear to me; I don’t think I can bear losing her. But maybe in time, I’ll gather the courage to do so. Just give me a bit more time; I’ll definitely be able to do it. (smiles) For now, I’ll just keep hinting it around by spoiling her (^_^) ”

K: “Then how about on our graduation? When we finish our last year of middle school (^_^)”

C: “What!? (0_0) I know I told you to give me time, but I didn’t mean it that way.”

K: “Yeah, but isn’t it the perfect time? You have at least 2 years to gather your courage, and upon formally confessing on graduation Noona will have a whole summer to think about her reply. Then when we reach high school… I guess you’ll either spend it as a couple, or continue staying as friends… but I don’t think Noona will ever cut off connections with you. Even if it will feel awkward at first, Noona really cares for you hyung. So don’t be afraid to take the risk (^_^) Alright? Think about it…”

After that statement, Kai leaves the house to go tell his mom

“… Alright Kai, I’ll think about it… but things will be a bit complicated after that...”

“…considering that Ji Yeon doesn’t really know me like she thinks she does…”

 

Kai ran to his house and waited there for about 15 minutes. His mother arrived and he told her the news about eating dinner at Ji Yeon’s place. His mother was shy about it at first, just like he was. But he pleaded and begged, and pretty much used his “charming-son” tricks. Eventually his mother gave in to the cutest son imaginable. So they both walked hand-in-hand to Ji Yeon’s place. As they made their way there, Ji Yeon and Chan Yeol helped to set up the dining table. It wasn’t long before Ji Yeon’s father arrived, and her mother told him that they’ll be having Chan Yeol and 2 other guests for dinner. Excited about having more people to talk to, Ji Yeon’s dad dropped his bags immediately and helped bring the food to the table. This gave everyone a chuckle, and Chan Yeol offered to bring Ji Yeon’s dad’s bags to the living room.

 

Living room

Chan Yeol puts the bags down on the floor near the sofa

C: “Wow, it was a bit heavy. Just how much paper work does Uncle do?”

“It depends. Sometimes a lot, at other times not so much.”

Chan Yeol turned around to see Ji Yeon looking at him with a blank face.

C: “(smiles) What is it? Let’s go to the dining room now; Kai and his mom are probably almost here.”

J: “Chan Yeol… why did Kai need to apologize to you? we’re not even dating. You should tell him that there’s nothing to worry about, ok?”

C: “Of course; I already told him. I’m sorry for getting worked up like that.”

Chan yeol walked past Ji Yeon, but she grabbed his arm

J: “Chan Yeol, I know you’ve always been like this, saying cheesy lines and acting a lot like a boyfriend (blush)… I know that you do it because we’re the closest friends ever, but it’s going to create misunderstandings like this one in the future, so please don’t overdo it. Don’t get worked up so much when I hang-out alone with people other than you. And don’t think that you should be the only one beside me; I want to make a lot of friends just like you. You’re a super sweet person Chan Yeol; I’ve never met anyone who cared this much about me even though he wasn’t even a relative (blush). But please, take it easy   (-_-).

C: “Hahaha (^_^) (pats Ji yeon’s head) Ok, I’ll cool down.”

J: “Geez (-_-) Thank goodness we sorted things out; we were so stiff with each other during Kai’s lecture, I was worried he might’ve noticed.”

C: “Um… if you don’t mind me asking, just when did you get so close to Kai anyway? This was the first time he ever walked you home or showed you dance moves. And now he’s having dinner here too?”

J: “Actually, it just happened today. I don’t know, but it makes me happy (^_^) Remember the thing I couldn’t tell you this morning before school? I was able to tell Kai.”

C: “What!? (held Ji Yeon’s shoulders) You were able to tell him, but you couldn’t tell me? Why?”

J: “Um… well (blush)… I didn’t know what it was at the time we were talking, but Kai helped me figure it out… so now, I think I can tell you what was bothering me a while ago… the reason I didn’t want to join you at the Exotic’s birthday party...”

C: “Really? You can tell me now? That’s great! (hugs Ji Yeon) alright then, what was bothering you?”

“Well… you recently started talking about the Exotics more and more. It became like an everyday topic. For some reason, it made me uncomfortable… when you asked me if I wanted to come to the party, even though there was free ice cream I didn’t feel like going… because it was about an Exotic again… But I didn’t want to tell you that, because your fans made you happy. So even though I didn’t like you talking about the Exotics so much, I just held it in because a smile would always be on your face whenever you talked about them. I was wondering why I felt this way… I have always told you what was on my mind; I didn’t know why this time was different. Kai noticed I was uncomfortable; I don’t know how he did it, but he did (^_^) And he skipped the party to cheer me up and confront me. I found out…”

“I was jealous Chan yeol…”

“I was jealous that you kept talking about other girls when you were with me. I was jealous that they got your attention. I was jealous that they all wanted to get to know you… and be close to you… because Chan Yeol…”

“I’ve been your closest friend all this time…”

“So I guess, now that I think about it, just like how you didn’t want Kai to be alone with me… I didn’t want you to only ever talk about the Exotics… (chuckles) I guess we’re even (^_^). I’m sorry for being jealous; I’ll try to see things differently from now on.”

Mouth wide open, Chan yeol couldn’t say a word. He went over to Ji Yeon and placed his face on her shoulder.

J: “(blush) Chan yeol!? What’s wrong?”

C: “ You have no idea how worried I was this morning… I wondered so much why there was something you couldn’t tell me… now that I’ve found out, all my worries just disappeared… for the first time (lifts his face and looks at Ji Yeon with a grin), you were jealous Ji Yeonie; jealous of me being close with other girls. I’ve never heard of sweeter words than this… I thought I was the only one who wanted to be special to you… but you want to be special to me too?

J: “Umm… (blush) well, I suppose that’s one way to put it. But don’t get the wrong idea; I don’t like you in a romantic kind of way. I just really like you for being Park Chan Yeol—the best puppy in the world. (^_^)”

C: “(sighs and smiles) Ok, fine; I can live with that (^_^) Can this puppy get you to ruffle his hair?”

J: “… (blush) well, that’s weird; but I guess I’ve got nothing to lose (smiles). Could you crouch down a bit; you’re too tall for me to reach your head.”

C: “Ok.”

As Chan Yeol crouched down and lowered his head, he felt the touch of Ji Yeon’s hand gently ruffling his hair. It was a minute of nothing but utter bliss and he felt that perhaps Ji Yeon was starting to care a little bit more in the romantic way; she just didn’t know it yet. After all, Ji yeon was actually jealous (>_<); just the thought of it had Chan Yeol at the top of the world. Chan Yeol made a mental note to be sure to thank Kai for helping Ji Yeon realize she was jealous. Ji Yeon and Chan Yeol then went to the dining room. Soon Kai and his mom arrived and dinner started. When Chan Yeol’s eyes met with Kai’s, he immediately gave Kai a thumbs up. Kai smiled back and felt at peace; looks like Ji Yeon and Chan Yeol had talked things out. Everything was back to normal… except one thing… That night everyone had a great time at the dinner table; introductions and interests were shared. Kai’s mom was enjoying the company and even offered to have dinner at her house some time. Chan Yeol was smiling as wide as ever and Ji Yeon also seemed to be in a good mood; she laughed at her dad’s lame jokes and ate a lot. But… inside Kai knew something was wrong with him… he wished it hadn’t appeared out of nowhere, but it did… and now, he had to make sure he got rid of it before it became anything serious…

He had to get rid of his crush on Ji Yeon