Page 22 (Growing Affection)

Vehement Brightness! [Hiatus]

 

 
 
 

 Page 22

“I’ll tell her when I’m ready… just give me time…”

“But it won’t be soon, ok?... I really don’t like my past… I don’t like talking about it at all…”

“Telling the person I like that I used to be a thief—it’s not really the most attractive thing…”

 

-------

 

Time continues to move forward, as was its usual routine. It has been 2 months since his brother’s phone call, and Chan Yeol has been thinking about some things lately… about how his brother has been, or how his brother must look like right now since he last saw him as a kid… then, about when he’ll be ready to tell Ji Yeon his past, or if she’ll start to avoid him if ever he actually tells her… those kinds of things… It’s those kind of things that make him stare outside the window during class lectures, and Suho has to put a hand on his shoulder to remind him to listen to the lesson.

Ji Yeon, on the other hand, rather than being caught by lingering thoughts, was being graced with new ones every day. She and Kai have been getting along really well; not just helping her with science homework, but even chatting about opinions and such on their teachers, and anything else that pops up in their minds. A few times she would notice a faint tint of pink on the boy’s cheeks whenever they talked. She thought that was really cute—a different image than the one projected by his amazing dance skills that could probably even make female ants squeal girlish screams of admiration. He was Kai for the fans, but he was just Kim Jong In with the EXO members. She likes the fact he can see the plain side of Jong In that the Exotics don’t know about. Speaking about someone with dual personalities, let’s not forget the ever adorable Byun Baekhyun.

Math class had been easier these days ever since Baekhyun shared notes with her, and asked her for anything she didn’t understand. She was very thankful that Baekhyun could answer her questions. But not so thankful that every so often, he would about the way she smiles so blissfully whenever he praised her for asking a lot. Baekhyun says that it’s good to ask when you don’t understand—so he’s very happy when Ji Yeon asks a lot, because it means that she knows what she needs to work on, hence he praises her for the questions. She in turn, smiles happily; then he in turn, promptly teases her. Ji Yeon always denies that she likes him, but Baekhyun wasn’t born yesterday; he’s pretty sure he knows when someone’s crushing on him. Not to mention that he’s close with Sehun, who has become Ji Yeon’s text mate ever since the time Ji Yeon texted him about her first tutor session with Baekhyun.

Sehun’s all like:

“Hyung, you’re so evil~ You know Chan Yeol hyung likes her, and Jong In hyung so obviously is crushing on her too, then you show up then BOOM—it’s Game Over for the 2 guys without you even batting an eyelash.”

 

And Baekhyun’s all like:

“Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful~”

 

Sehun just rolls his eyes whenever Baekhyun made stupid remarks like this, but Sehun trusted Baekhyun; he always has. He also knew that Baekhyun wasn’t taking things lightly: being caught in a Love Square? Rectangle? was never really part of his plans. He surely didn’t like Ji Yeon that way, and would not even dare to entertain the thought because of how long Chan Yeol has had feelings for her. But he can't help remembering, on days when they have their tutoring sessions, the cookie incident… and how Ji Yeon’s fingers gently combed his hair as he was lying on her lap. Call him hung up on that incident, but hey—he has never experienced something like that with any other female except his mother. So obviously, he feels a little nervous when he remembers that—but he skillfully hides it all from Ji Yeon using his playful side. Constantly teasing her about her obvious crush on him was a way for Baekhyun to see Ji Yeon more as a sister, reminding himself not to get pulled in by her subtle charms—she already had 2 other men, thank you very much. But remembering his sister wasn’t exactly the best thing either. So far, it has only been Kai who mentioned his backstory to Ji Yeon… Baekhyun would probably have to tell his one day too, but he didn’t have to think about that for now.

Everyone in EXO has a backstory that they’re not really proud of or happy about; that’s why they know what it’s like to be quiet like Ji Yeon—to pull out poker faces when they would very much like to cry; to stay bottled up inside and be reserved out of habit, due to the fact there was never anyone to listen before. Like when Kai was a kid, he pretended to be innocent and unfazed, even though he knew his parents were considering divorce because of his father’s unfaithfulness. And on the day of the divorce itself, he remained calm the entire day, but cried rivers as soon as he was in his room. And now, he’s being a good kid to do his mother proud—being the man of the family. There are other interesting stories within EXO:

as to why Kai always calls D.O. his other half, and why D.O. knows has to cook or tend to gardens even though he’s a guy;

why Sehun has always been close to Baekhyun, and why Sehun doesn’t talk much;

why Baekhyun has dual personalities, and why thinking of his sister isn’t such a happy thing; 

why Suho is an overall achiever, and why he never once talked about his parents;

and why Chan Yeol’s brother is somewhere out there finishing some business, and why Chan Yeol called himself a thief.

 

All these things add up to why each member of EXO is the way he is; you could say their past made who they are in the present. Ji Yeon has only listened to Kai’s story; she still had a lot to figure out. But even though she wasn’t aware of how much she didn’t really know the guys, one thing was certain—there was growing affection. Being the quiet child that she was, this was the first time she could say she had a group of friends. Even if they’re all male, they can surely relate to her more than most people in her class who are busy with their own lives; much less the females in her class who do nothing but fangirl over them.

 

On their morning and after school walks, Ji Yeon has noticed that Chan Yeol spaces out more than he used to. She does get worried about it sometimes, but she decides that whatever it is Chan Yeol will tell her when he’s ready.

 

One rainy school day…

 

“It’s raining… I don’t like this.”

“Hey Noona.”

“Oh, hey Kai (^_^)”

“You don’t like rains Noona?”

“Yeh; they make me feel gloomy.”

“I don’t particularly hate them (^_^) On rainy days like this, my omma and I watch some movies at home while munching on junk food.”

“Oh… that’s such a cool idea Kai… maybe I’ll invite Chan Yeol to watch a movie at home with me later… how about you? want to come?”

“Umm (blush)… can I?”

“Sure (^_^) Actually, I should probably invite everyone in EXO… and maybe we should just go the movie theater at the mall instead...”

 

“wow… I’m actually scheduling my first outing with my first group of friends…”

“I’m so happy Kai (^_^)”

 

It was pretty hard for Kai to hide the wide smile that crept up on his face; Ji Yeon was really pretty when she was genuinely happy. He secretly texted the guys.

 

To: Suho hyung, Baek hyung, Yeol hyung, Kyungie hyung, Sehunnie

Fr: Jong In

Guys, Ji Yeon’s planning to invite us to go watch a movie later (^o^) She looks really excited since apparently this is her first outing with her first group of friends. Please say you’ll come!

 

  Sehun

Wow; we’re Noona’s first group of friends? I like that (^o^) I’m coming! Baekhyun hyung, buy me popcorn when we get there.

 

Baekhyun

I guess I’m free later, so sure I’m coming. Sehunnie, no I will not buy you popcorn. A movie in itself isn’t exactly cheap.

 

Sehun sent Baekhyun 2 images

Baekhyun

Sehunnie, don’t do this to me.

 

Suho

There’s no important agenda later, so I’ll come (^_^) Our first outing with Ji yeonnie! How exciting! Just because of that, I’m buying everyone’s tickets! My treat!

 

Sehun

Suho hyung—I love you~ Now Baekhyun hyung can buy me popcorn.

 

Baekhyun

Fine, fine. Anybody else? I might as well buy snacks for everyone.

 

D.O

Kai and I want popcorn hyung! If you buy the popcorn, I’ll buy the drinks.

 

Kai

Popccccooooorrrrnnn~~ Kyungie hyung, I want Sprite.

 

Baekhyun

Ok, deal. JoonMyeon hyung buys the tickets, I buy the snacks, KyungSoo buys the drinks.

 

Chan Yeol

I’m coming too of course! If this wasn’t already obvious, I reserve the seat next to Ji yeon (^o^) Also, who’s JoonMyeon hyung again?

 

Kai

Yeol, that’s Suho hyung’s real name!

 

Chan Yeol

Oh yeah; sometimes I forget. I like Suho much better (^_^) Heehee, Ji Yeon will be really happy!

 

Kai

Guys, let’s pretend we never had this conversation. When Ji Yeon asks you guys later, pretend to think about it really hard, like you have to cancel some plans or something (^_^). Let’s surprise her!

 

Everyone else

Ok!

 

Dismissal

The rain is subsiding

To: Omma

Fr: Ji Yeon

Omma, I’m going to watch a movie with my friends~ Is that ok?

 

Omma

Wow~ (jumps on rainbows) My daughter is going out for the first time with a group of friends! I’m so proud! How many are you?

 

Ji Yeon

There’s me, Chan Yeol, Kai, Baekhyun Oppa, and others you haven’t met yet—Suho Oppa (eldest), D.O. Oppa and Sehun (maknae). I actually haven’t asked them yet, except for Kai who hasn’t answered yet.

 

Omma

… All male?

 

Ji Yeon

Uh, yeah. I’m sorry that I haven’t made a female friend yet Omma :( Can I still go?

 

Omma

Oh it’s alright (^_^) it just brings back memories, really. Have I ever told you my group of friends was originally all male too? I started having close female friends only in university.

 

Ji yeon

Wow, I didn’t know that Omma (O_O) You have to share your stories with me some time (^_^)

 

Omma

Heehee (^_^) You don’t just have a group of friends—you have a handsome group of friends. I’m sure you’re in good hands dear! I don’t know if your father is comfortable about you being the only female in the group, but I’ll take care of him so just go have fun (^_^)

 

Ji yeon

Thanks Omma, I will! I love you see you later!

 

Omma

Love you too Yeonnie!

 

A while later, the boys arrive

The rain already stopped by this time

“Hey guys! Are you guys free?”

 

B- “Why? What’s up Ji yeonnie?”

J- “ Kai hasn’t told you? Let’s go watch a movie!”

Su- “That’s strange (^_^) it’s the first time you’ve made an outing. Any reason why?”

J- “Nothing in particular; it was raining this morning.  I thought it was going to be a gloomy day, but Kai gave me the idea of watching a movie at home. Then I thought, we should watch as a group in the cinema… so, are you guys free?”

 

“Hmm…”

All the boys pretend to think really hard; Suho checked his planner; D.O. looked up the to-do list on his phone; Kai was rubbing his chin while looking upwards; Baekhyun closed his eyes while holding his forehead; Sehun had his hands on his hips while staring at the ground; Chan Yeol was jumping in place while thinking.

Ji Yeon fell for it—she seemed to be worried that no one might come. But then she remembered what Kai said to her before…

 

“…You know I’m not really a fan of doing aegyo, but I found out it was an easy way to get what you want (^_^) Provided that you do it in front of the opposite gender…”

(For reference: see Page 9 Ji Yeon’s story)

 

So, even if it may be one the most embarrassing things she will ever do in her life, since her first outing with her first group of friends was on the line, Ji Yeon decided to try out some aegyo.

 

Oppa, Jebal (please)~

 

Everyone’s eyes widened in shock… was Ji yeon… doing aegyo?

 

The boys started laughing.

 

“WHOAH, OH MY GOSH, KAI YOU ARE A GENIUS!”

 

“I didn’t know! I seriously didn’t know she would do that!”

 

“Noona… do you know what you just did?...”

 

 

“Um… I did aegyo?”

 

 

 

“Exactly! You were good! Almost as good as me!”

 

“Yeah; you’re still miles away from Sehunnie’s expertise, but good start! (^_^) Ok I’m definitely going to the movies!”

 

“Us too!”

 

“But… what do you mean Kai’s a genius?”

 

“He told us to pretend we were busy, like we might not agree to go to the movies. But actually, we’ve already talked about it through text (^_^)”

 

“We’re all going! Suho hyung’s buying the tickets, Baek Hyung’s buying the snacks, and I’m buying the drinks (^_^). It’s our gift to you!”

 

“Welcome to the EXO family!”

 

 

Everyone engulfs Ji Yeon in a group hug.

Laughter fills the air as they make their way out of school and wait for a bus. Being accepted like this never felt so grand; there was so much warmth.

 

In the bus

 

Kai sat with D.O., Sehun, Baekhyun and Suho sat at the back seat, Chan Yeol sat with Ji Yeon.

 

 

“Hey, Yeonnie; how come you’ve never asked me to go to the movies before?”

 

“Well, I’ve never thought about it before… but now that I actually have friends, there are so many things we could do together! (^_^)”

 

“it’s too bad you only thought about it now… we could’ve done a lot—just the two of us.”

 

“Chan Yeol please; you’re being selfish again (-_-)”

 

“Hey, call me selfish, but I found you first didn’t I? (^_^)”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Ok, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It still takes some getting used to now that I have to share you with everyone. But anyway,..”

 

“can you show that aegyo again?”

 

“No (-_-); it was embarrassing!”

 

“But it was so cute on you! I would have died on the spot if you did it for me alone!”

 

“so you want to die?”

 

“No; it’s just an expression… but I really want a closer look for myself…”

 

 

 

 

And ONLY for myself. Please Yeonnie.

 

Ji Yeon, at that one moment, actually saw Chan Yeol differently…not like the usual puppy who had nothing better to do in his life but cling onto her, but as a…

…guy…

Chan Yeol was a boy…

A guy who was tall, slim, who had nice hair, elf ears and a bright smile…

Chan Yeol wasn’t just a boy;

Chan Yeol was a handsome boy she knew since childhood, who always kept her company.

Even though this was something she was always aware of, why does it feel so different thinking about it now? Was it because they were teenagers and hormones were making a mess out of her logic?

 

These thoughts made a small blush color Ji Yeon’s cheeks; and she supposed that maybe doing a bit of aegyo would be alright—because Chan Yeol hasn’t stopped looking her in the eyes with his beautiful brown ones, and she’s afraid she might faint if their staring contest continues any longer.

She does her aegyo again, but in an incredibly shy way. Chan Yeol didn’t seem to mind though; seeing that a smile appeared on his face, showing all his pearly whites. He laid his head on Ji yeon’s shoulder…

 

“I like you Ji Yeonnie. Don’t forget me when you have a lot of friends…”

“… and if you find out some things about me you might not like…”

“… I hope you won’t leave…”

 

Chan yeol has returned to the cheesy, clingy childhood friend she always knew… why is he so insecure anyway? Why is he always worried about being left or forgotten when she gains more friends?

Hmm, but oddly something new was added: what’s this about something she might not like about him? Is this what had him spacing out recently?

 But anyway, Ji yeon has reminded him several times of how important he is to her, but why is it never enough?

 

Could he be looking for more?

 

Ji Yeon just pushed that thought at the back of her mind.

Chan Yeol was her best friend; nothing more, nothing less.

And if it takes her thousands of times to tell him he’s important, then darn well, she’ll say it a thousand times.

 

“I won’t leave you Yeol. I like you a lot too.”

 

Meanwhile, Kai who was seated with D.O. has noticed Chan Yeol’s head laid on Ji yeon’s shoulder. He didn’t hear anything, but just the sight gave him longing eyes—he longed to be in Chan yeol’s place.

 

“Hey, how are you handling your crush on Ji yeon?”

 

Kai looks at D.O. to see him giving a concerned smile; of course D.O. would know he was looking at Chan Yeol and Ji yeon. Kai returned D.O.’s smile. He took one of D.O.’s hands and played with it.

 

“Not so well Kyungie-bear hyung… I’m a bit jealous right now, actually. But I can’t be like this; I can’t like someone who Yeol hyung has been pining after for so long… man, why did I have to like Noona?”

“Well, I don’t blame you for liking her—she’s quite a rare catch (^_^). But you know; there’s no need to feel ashamed. This happens to everyone. Most groups of friends have probably gone through the same situation. But it’s your choice what you want to do. You can always choose to tell Chan Yeol.”

“But that would be so inconsiderate; that would mean a formal declaration of war—it’s pretty much like asking ‘hey hyung, I know you’ve liked her for 4 years now, may I please it and hit on her too?’ I can’t do that, Kyungie hyung. I like Ji Yeon, but Chan Yeol hyung is one of my best friends.”

“And that’s why there’s nothing to worry about Jongie (^_^) It may be hard to see Chan Yeol slowly advancing in Ji Yeon’s heart, but you can make it. Pray a lot; try your best to keep reserved about your crush. A good friend like you can make it out; just do your best and let God do the rest.”

“ Yeah…Still, there’s that other problem that she likes Baek hyung”

“Oh, yeah… Shakespeare did say ‘the course of love never did run smooth’ or something like that.”

“Boy did he ever get it right. What are we going to do with all this growing affection bubbling out? I feel like Chan yeol hyung’s really going to have a hard time.”

 

----------

 

Hey everyone ^_^ the whole "don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful" idea came from a friend of mine, who said the same thing when he posted his picture with a flower on his hair in face book, and people were commenting and stuff so yeah--he's all swag--no hating the beauty >_<

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as well! ^_^