S.O.S Language

My Bias Doesn't Speak English!

Carol rang me up again that night, this time she was kinda mad. Well, of course she would be since I just dumped her the day before. After some nags and apologies, she finally came to her point of why she called.

"Who called you yesterday? That unknown number you DUMPED me for.." She said, trying to guilt trip me again. I rolled my eyes, noticing her tone. "I told you I'm sorry." 

"Yeah, yeah. I know. You didn't even finish telling me your story yesterday." She said, still excited about yesterday's story. 

"Oh, yeahh... About that.." I stammered but she cut in. "You said Jonghyun was thanking you, right? Omg, I still can't believe that your favourite singer had thanked you. How did it feel? Did you talk to him? Did you tell him you love him?" 

"Woah, slow down chick! It's like as if you're the major SHINee fan here."

"They are kinda cute."

"I thought they were gay?" I mocked.

"Well.... Gay-ish cute I suppose?" Carol squeaked, making both of us laugh out loud. "So? What happened after that?" She asked again.

Suddenly I got nervous. Should I tell her that I went out with Jonghyun? I mean, she's my best friend. I tell her everything. But, maybe Jonghyun doesn't want me to tell her anything. If I tell her, the news might leak out and the whole world will know. Then I'll be in trouble and sasaeng fans are going to threaten me and write bloody letters to me!

If I tell Carol, I'll get bloody letters in my mailbox.

"Uhh, he thanked me in korean, but I didn't know he to reply. Then Onew told me that the amulet was really important to Jonghyun. So I'm like, I'm glad I helped. That's it." I replied, half lying.

"That's it?" She sounded disappointed.

"That's it." I repeated. Completely lying this time. Then I heard a grunt over the other line. "You didn't try to get his number or anything?" She scolded me as if I did a crime. 

"Nope. He's an idol. It's impossible to get an idol's number." I said without hesitation. I should probably get an award for the best liar of the century. 

"You're boring." She groaned. Oh Carol, you have no idea...

After putting up with Carol and her million questions, I quickly picked up my laptop and started doing my research. Today, I'm learning how to speak korean! No turn backs.

'Learning korean easy' I typed in the famous search engine, resulting with 345,671 matches found. Wow, this is going to take some time. I scrolled down the page slowly till I found a certain link that caught my attention. 'Learn How To Speak Korean In 1 Week.'

Click!

 

JONGHYUN'S POV

I found it! Perfect! 

'How to speak English in 1 week.'

I immediately clicked on the link and started scrolling down the page, skipping the introduction. I mean, seriously, who ever reads the introduction? I wanted to call up Kibum or Jinki hyung to help out in my English, but they always seem so busy. So why not try the Internet right?

Okay. Lesson one, basics. Hello, goodbye, thank you, your welcome, good morning, I'm fine, how are you... I know all that. It's all as simple as 'Oh My God'. I smiled, mentally patting my own back for knowing at least this much of English.

Lesson two, nouns. Book, pencil, door, fan, mat, car, radio, speaker... Yeah, I could learn all that in no time. How hard can it be? What's next?

Lesson three, verbs. Kick, sing, dance, play, throw, catch, run, jump... This is getting boring. I need some challenge. I scrolled down the lessons, skipping lesson four, five, six... Until lesson twelve, which was something to do with grammar. I kept reading the passages until a certain word caught my attention. I read it out, softly to myself. Ehrnicorn. That's what I sounded like reading it. 

I'm not an expert in English, nor am I even as good as a fifth grader at it, but this word, ehrnicorn, quite amused me. I didn't know such word could actually exist in a language.

"Hyung!" I heard a call suddenly from outside my room. "Hyung! I got some candies for you!" Kibum yelled from the kitchen. Yes! I could ask him about ehrnicorns. 

"Kibum-ah!" I called. "Come over here for a while." I stayed in my seat infront of my laptop and randomly scrolled up the page while waiting for Key to come over. "What?" He asked and sat beside me, looking at my screen before giving out a teasingly loud roar of laughter. 

"How to speak English in 1 week? Seriously hyung?" He cried amusingly and moved the cursor at the top of the page, re-reading the title and laughing again. Then I watched him as he ran a quick look over the introduction and slowly scrolled down, getting a hint of each lesson.

"Yah. Don't get all teasy. I wanted to ask you something about a word I found." I grumbled while taking back the control of the cursor. "Ehrnicorn."

"What?" 

"EHRnicORN!" I pronounced carefully, while he kept frowning in confusion. I scrolled down the page, intending on finding the word. "It was here somewhere..." I mumbled to myself while furrowing my eyebrows at the laptop screen until I saw the word. "There!"

In a second, Key started to giggle again, this time he tried to hide his laughter as though I showed him something embarrassing. "Hyung." He started with a wide grin. "It's not 'ehrnicorn', it's 'Younicorn'."

I frowned and looked at the word on the screen. It spelt U-N-I-C-O-R-N. I didn't see any 'Y', or any double 'O'. Where did the 'you' sound come from?

When I asked Kibum about it, he gave me a simple answer. An answer that also made me blush just slightly out of embarrassment.

"Read the introduction.."