Cheesy

My Bias Doesn't Speak English!

"Counting on you." Jonghyun stated while looking at the ocean view. The two of us sat side by side on the edge of an old wooden jetty, enjoying the beautiful view of the sun, clouds and waves. I looked at him curiously when he said those words. "Hm?"

"Counting on you." He repeated. "What's that mean?"

I raised my eyebrows, wondering where he found that phrase. I totally forgot that I was the one who wrote it in my text the night before. "Well." I started. "If you're counting on me, it means that you depend on me." 

He titled his head, still not understanding my explanation. The word 'depending' isn't an easy word either.

"Um, like, if I say I'm counting on you to finish my homework, it means I trust that you will finish my homework for me. Yeah, trust." I explained again. He nodded somewhat understandingly, but maybe he just didn't want to look stupid. I grinned at him, knowing that he was still blur.

"So, you trust me?" He asked, looking at me with his puppy eyes. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What?"

"Last night you say you was counting on me." He said with a thin smile. I chuckled. "Did I?" He nodded in reply. I bit my bottom lip and smiled. "Well, I do trust you. But I don't think I meant it that way last night."

"Then what did you mean?"

"I- I don't remember." I mumbled coyly. I really didn't remember. Jonghyun kept looking at me, making me feel a little nervous. A smile formed on his lips before he turned away.

"So when are you leaving back to Korea?" I asked, avoiding any awkward situation that might occur. He pressed his lips into a thin line and sighed. "Tuesday."

"That's in two days." I stated with a frown. He nodded. 

"I wish I can stay longer. But I can't."

"I wish you could stay too."

The two of us gazed towards the ocean, silence creeping in after our last sentences. For some reason, I felt my heart sink. Meeting Jonghyun was a miracle for me. A dream come true. He was everything I ever wished for and everything I ever wanted. In fact, everything every fan wanted. It was pretty upsetting that he was going to leave so soon.

"Alicia." He spoke. I looked at him and saw that he was already looking at me. His expression was soft and he locked his gaze into my eyes. I gazed back, but my face was already turning crimson. Slowly a smile formed on his lips and he placed his hand onto mine. 

"I am happy."

I blinked. "You're happy?"

"Ne. I'm happy to meet you." He responded while nodding his head. My cheeks turned a darker shade of red and I suddenly burst out laughing, rolling my head back. His eyes widened at my reaction, hoping he didn't say anything wrong.

"Oh, waeyo? I said something wrong?" He asked nervously. I shook my head and bit my lip to stop myself from laughing. "No, you didn't."

"Then.." His question trailed of. I playfully hit his arm. "Why are you so cheesy?"

"Cheesy?" He asked innocently, blinking cluelessly. He definitely looked like a lost puppy. Those eyes, damn it.

"Cheesy." I stated before realizing how hard it was going to be to explain that. "Oh, never mind."

He still looked at me when I turned in front. "Um, like cheese? Cheese burger?"

That got me bursting out into another fit of laughter. Still his expression didn't change. He was so adamant to learn the new word. "What?" He asked in an amusing way. I couldn't stop laughing at the sight of him being so clueless at the wrong time.

"Wae gurae~?" He suddenly burst out childishly, whining about my laughing fit. In other words, he did an aegyo, causing more laughter to spill out of my mouth because it was so funny and adorable at the same time.

Suddenly his phone started singing and both of us stopped still. I looked at him curiously as he pulled it out and looked at the screen.

"Ne." He answered, looking the other way. I watched as he talked into his phone in Korean, saying things I couldn't understand. Well, I could probably understand a few words. Like, 'yes', 'no', 'I don't know' and 'maybe'. But he was talking to fast for me to understand anything else. After a few sentences, he glanced at me with a worrisome look.

"Ne. She's right beside me." That's what I heard him say in Korean. It was a sentence that I understood completely. He was talking about me? I frowned curiously, wondering who he was talking to. And seeing his face expression when he mentioned about me, I got worried.

Something didn't feel quite right. I swallowed and my lips, waiting for him to end the call.

"Who was that?" I asked gently when he finished talking. He bit his lips and looked down while stuffing his phone I to his pocket. Then he shook his head. "Nobody."

"That was obviously somebody." I responded, giving him a 'duh' look. He glanced at me, nervously. "Yeah.."

"What's wrong?" I pressed, curious about the call. I mean, if it had something to do with me, of course I'd be curious. He a breath and his lips before turning to face me. "It's Mrs. Han."

My heart stopped beating and my eyes grew wide. "Mrs. Han?" 

He nodded. "She.. want to see me later." 

My eyes flickered left and right while thinking about the possibilities. My head drowned in questions and thoughts. Mostly scary ones. If she knew about me and Jonghyun, that would only mean trouble. Did Onew really tell her? Did she find out? What was she going to do now? Will she stop Jonghyun from ever contacting me? Am I going to get involved with the police for going out with an idol? What the hell is going to happen?

"Don't worry." Jonghyun suddenly cooed, bringing me back to the present time. I looked at his assuring gaze. "I will tell her the truth."

"But what if she doesn't let us meet anymore?" I stuttered nervously. He swallowed and squeezed my hand gently. "I will.." He paused, searching for the right word. "..convince her." He smiled. I smiled back, impressed with the big word he used.

 

JONGHYUN'S POV

 

"You what?!" Key shrieked.

"I told Mrs. Han." Onew shrugged, a little guilt creeping onto his face. Key gave himself a face palm and groaned. Minho and Taemin shook their heads behind him. "Hyung, why would you do that?" The maknae asked with a hurtful expression.

"I- I didn't mean to. It slipped out of my mouth.."

"You just ruined the only happiness our dear Jonghyun hyung has." Taemin responded with his hands over his head. "This was supposed to be a secret." Key continued. "Does Jonghyun know?" Minho asked.

"This is terrible!" Taemin groaned, his hands on his eyes this time. "All hope is lost now!"

The other three boys turned to the youngest with curious expressions. "Why are you so hurt as if your love life is ruined?" Minho questioned. Taemin swallowed and looked at his hyungs nervously. "Uhhh.. Because.." He in a deep breath. "Because it's Jonghyun hyung. His life is like my life. You know. I feel for him so bad. He must be so devastated." He said with a fake grin.

Key and Minho shrugged before turning back to Onew. "Well, I care for Jonghyun hyung, but I'm only annoyed because we're going to get lectured at for sure about this. And you know how long Mrs. Han's lecture can last." Key nagged. "And you just lost all our trust because a secret is meant to be kept. Jonghyun would be so mad at you. And I've been helping that poor guy with his English to speak to that girl, and now it's all gone to waste."

"Uh, hyung. Your points aren't connecting." Minho whispered from behind. Key turned to him. "Well, I don't care. I'm random, okay."

"Look, guys. I'm sorry. But you're getting it the wrong way. I didn't get to finish my story yet." Onew tried to speak out, but everybody's attention went to the front door when they all heard someone walk in.

"Hyung." Taemin cried when he saw me walk in. I looked up at them with a mellow expression before glaring at Onew hyung. He kept quiet, but looked back at me with a tinge of fear. 

"Jonghyun, where were you?" Key asked.

"I was out." I responded plainly. "You guys probably already know with who."

I took off my shoes and quickly walked towards my room, passing by hyung. "Jonghyun-ah." He called, but I ignored him. The rest of the members watched quietly. "Jonghyun, wait." Hyung called again, this time gripping my arm. I stopped, but didn't say a word.

"Jong, don't take this the wrong way. I was helping you." He spoke carefully. I turned my head to give him another glare. "Helping me? Helping me get rid of her?"

"No. Not that way. I-"

"You what? Got so jealous that you decided to tell your dear sweet aunt about us?" I rudely interrupted. 

"Listen Jonghyun, that's not what I-"

"I don't care hyung." I spat. "You just ruined the most perfect relationship I thought I'd ever have. Forget it." I pulled my arm off his grip and walked to my room. Hyung stared at me while mumbling nonsense, trying to get his words right. He quickly rushed to mt room door before I could close it. "Jonghyun, if you could just listen to me. Just once, let me explai-"

"No, hyung. I can't." I cut. "I'm meeting Mrs. Han in fifteen minutes. So, just leave me alone." And I closed the door at his face. He sighed heavily in front of the door, his fingers rubbing his forehead. Then he walked back to the hall, where the rest of the members were eavesdropping the conversation. All eyes were on him.

"You really messed up." Minho spoke from the corner. Onew sighed again, his patience wearing thin. "Yes, thank you for making me feel wonderful." 

Minho shrugged. "You should do something about it. Jonghyun hyung looks really mad."

"Can you shut up?" Onew raised his voice at the annoying rapper. "If you guys just listened, things would be so much more better." Everyone frowned curiously, but Onew was too tired to explain anymore. He groaned in his hands and walked into his own room. 

I was in my room, worried and confused. But most of all, I was scared. I was scared that Mrs. Han was going to end my relationship with Alicia. I was scared that she might do something to her. I was scared that I would be punished. If only things were less complicated.

I changed my clothes into something slightly more formal, since I was meeting up with a cranky old lady who only had a heart for her nephew alone. I looked into a mirror with a deep sigh before walking out of the room. Time to meet my doom.

 

I stopped in front of the familiar restaurant to look at the sight of it. It was a really nostalgic place. The Asian Avenue Cafe. I smiled, remembering the first time I came here with Alicia. It was only more than a week ago, but it really felt like years. After a quick sigh, I stepped in and quickly looked around, searching for a familiar face. There she was.

"Good evening Mrs. Han." I bowed before taking my seat opposite hers. She didn't smile, but just nodded. "Good evening." There was already a glass of water placed in front of me, threatening me to drink it. But I resisted, deciding not to do anything offending in any possible way.

"I shall just get straight to the point with you, Jonghyun." She started, her tone as calm and professional as those scary rich company CEO's you'd see in Korean dramas. I gulped down a pool of saliva and pressed my lips into a thin line.

"I found out some rather..interesting news today. About you particularly."

"Mrs. Han, I just want to explain myself here. It's not really what you think it is-" I tried to speak, but she raised a hand in front of my face, signaling me to stop. "I heard the whole story."

Being the rebel I usually was, I spoke again. "Don't listen to Onew hyung, please. I swear it's not as bad as what he-"

"Jonghyun." She said sternly, making me wince and stop talking. "Do you ever listen?"

I swallowed again, this time keeping silent. I waited for her to finish. "Jinki told me everything." A small smile formed on her lips. But not the usual sinister ones that she'd usually give us when she was being mean. This time, it was a sweet one.

"He told me that you truly loved this girl."

My cheeks slowly turned red, even though my expression was more to surprised. "He said that?"

"Yes. And he begged me to let the two of you keep in touch." She continued. "Honestly, I really wanted to change all your numbers and make sure you never contact her again. But Jinki managed to convince me otherwise."

I didn't realize that I was gawking until a waiter came to place our food on the table. She had ordered before I arrived. I looked at the food, then back to her. "S-So, you're not going to end our relatio- Um, I mean, our friendship?" I corrected my sentence as I asked. She shook her head. 

"As long as this relationship doesn't cause any problems to your group and company, I wont stop you." She said while scooping in her dish. "And I hope you don't keep flying here just to meet her every weekend."

"Uh, I- I won't." I hesitated. She paused and looked at me for a moment. Then she spoke again. "It's not going to be easy, having a relationship with such distance."

I smiled thinly at her and nodded. "It's a risk I'm willing to take for her."

Mrs. Han glanced at me. "You know, I never liked you the most from your group. But I wouldn't like to see you heart broken."

I smiled wider at her, appreciatively. "Thank you for the concern. But like I said, it's a risk I'm willing to take."

"How cheesy of you." She joked in English, probably to herself. I noticed how she used a familiar word, and yet I didn't know what it meant. I tilted my head and she chuckled. "You're a really cheesy person Jonghyun."

"I guess. I get that a lot." I responded with another smile. She smiled back. Then we continued our dinner, talking about Alicia most of the time.