Chapter 9

Bus Crush

Friday went by extremely slow for Taeyeon. She barely focused in class. The only thing on her mind was her bus crush.

 

‘Taeyeon, I’m so sorry you had to miss the bus’

 

‘Hey, no worries. Are you feeling a lot better? Have you told her what you told me?’

 

Sunny smiled before answering

 

‘I’m all good. I’m not sure how to tell her yet. Maybe tomorrow? We’re going out after the carnival. You’re coming right? Hyoyeon’s performing then there’s the mini sports event after.’

 

‘Oh. I don’t know. I was actually thinking of staying home.’

 

‘Come on, Taeyeon! I need someone to keep me company since the rest are all busy. Besides, you need to keep yourself busy so your mind occupied until Monday’

 

‘You have a point there. I’m only agreeing because I heard there’s those carnival games available. I need to get some carnival coupons though’

 

‘Leave that to me! Sungmin gave me more than enough for us to share.’

 

‘Right. About that. Is he coming to the carnival?’

 

‘I should think so. Why?’

 

‘Nothing. Just curious’

 

Taeyeon smirked, she has something up her sleeve for him.

 

The next day was a great day for a carnival. The sun was high in the sky but it wasn’t too hot. Taeyeon went to look for Sunny and the rest as soon as her father dropped her off.

 

‘Taeyeon! Over here!’

 

Taeyeon walked over to Sunny and Yuri. They were all waiting for the dance performance to start.

 

‘You look great.’

 

Yuri commented. Since it wasn’t exactly a school event, they were all dressed in their casual home attire.

 

‘You’re just fishing for compliments. You don’t look too bad yourself.’

 

Taeyeon replied.

 

‘They’re starting!’

 

Sunny nudged the pair. The three of them watched the performance in silence. Clapping loudly after the performance.

 

‘You guys were great!’

 

Taeyeon complimented Hyomin and Hyoyeon after their performance. The five of them made their way to the carnival stalls to look around and grab something to eat. There was still another hour before the mini sports event starts. While walking around, Yuri heard her name being called.

 

‘Kwon Yuri!’

 

The five turned to see Taecyeon waving at them.

 

‘Oh. I forgot, Taecyeon’s introducing the girl he’s dating to everyone.’

 

Yuri smiled at the approaching pair.

 

‘Hey, guys. Meet Yoona. She’s from Soshi Girls High.’

 

Taecyeon introduced the girl next to him.

 

‘Hi. It’s nice to meet all of you.’

 

She greeted them after they introduced themselves to her.

 

‘Did you come here alone? I thought Taecyeon said that you’re bringing two of your friends with you?’

 

Yuri asked directly.

 

‘Oh. They wanted to walk around the carnival on their own. I think they’re probably somewhere around here’

 

Yoona replied.

 

‘What time is your race? We’ll go down to the stadium and watch’

 

Taecyeon asked

 

‘In about an hour. You can watch Yuri try her best to catch up with me.’

 

Hyoyeon smirked

 

‘Yah. Don’t be so confident.’

 

‘Should we make a bet then?’

 

‘What’s on the line?’

 

‘If you beat me, then I’ll be your slave next week.’

 

‘And if I don’t?’

 

‘You’ll be my slave.’

 

Yuri contemplated for a bit.

 

‘Yuri, don’t do it. It’s not worth being Hyoyeon’s slave. Do you remember the last time this happened?’

 

Sunny told the tanned girl

 

‘Aish. Not you too! Don’t you guys have any confidence in me?’

 

Yuri grumbled

 

‘So bet or no bet?’

 

‘It’s on. Kim Hyoyeon!’

 

Yuri shook Hyoyeon’s hand while Sunny and Taeyeon groaned. Now, they have to brace themselves for a week of  Yuri whining about being a slave.

 

‘Oh. There he is. HEY! LEE SUNGMIN!’

 

Taeyeon shouted at someone at the far end. Sungmin stopped and glared at the girl. He started to walk towards her

 

‘How about a game of gladiator jousting?’

 

Taeyeon suggested. Sungmin just glared at her and then turned his attention to Sunny and Hyomin. He was about to walk off when Taeyeon grabbed his arm.

 

‘Come on. Are you going to wuss out?’

 

‘What is it in for me if I agree?’

 

‘If I beat you, then you’ll stay the hell away from Sunny.’

 

‘And if you don’t?’

 

‘Then it’s your call. What do you want from me?’

 

‘If I win, then you’ll have to do all of my assignments and let me do whatever the hell I want.’

 

‘Sure.’

 

‘Deal.’

 

Taeyeon and Sungmin shook on it. No one else other than the two of them knew what was at stake. The pair walked towards the carnival games area where the gladiator jousting arena was.

 

A small crowd started to gather as the pair started putting on their safety gear. Taeyeon had taken off her shirt, leaving just a black tank top on.

 

‘Woah. Didn’t know Kim Taeyeon was so attractive. Check out those abs.’

 

One of the boys in the crowd voiced out

 

‘Should we stop this?’

 

Hyomin asked Sunny, Yuri and Hyoyeon.

 

‘No. This just got interesting.’

 

Hyoyeon replied

 

‘B..But she could get hurt’

 

Yoona added in

 

‘I agree with Yoona. Should we stop this?’

 

Taecyeon said

 

‘No. Trust us. Taeyeon’s the champion in gladiator jousting. We play it almost every summer at her summer vacation home. No one can match her.’

 

Yuri told the rest smiling along with Hyoyeon.

 

‘Right, Sunny?’

 

Sunny didn’t reply. She had her eye fixed on her best friend who was stepping up to the platform. The girl looked at Sunny and gave her a wink, as if reassuring the girl that everything would be fine.