Chapter 29

Bus Crush

'Yah. You're invading my space!' 

 

Jessica nudged at Tiffany who just rolled against her on the bed. It was only a few days into their summer holidays but the girls had gathered at Jessica's place for what they call an 'emergency' meeting.

 

'Urgh. Why hasn't she texted or called me.' 

 

Tiffany whined as she continued rolling restlessly on Jessica's bed.

 

'Maybe cause she thinks you're in trouble? I mean, shouldn't you be texting her first? You know, to let her know that everything is alright?'

 

Yoona who was munching on her chips turned away from Jessica's desktop computer just to comment.

 

'You have a point. But what do I tell her? That my dad played a prank on me? Why is it so hard.'

 

Tiffany continued whining.

 

'It's only hard because you're making it hard.'

 

Jessica commented as she reached out for her phone. She typed a quick message before setting it aside again.

 

'So, wait. Let me get this straight again, we're having this meeting just because the two of you are having girl problems?'

 

Jessica sat up and shook her head at her two best friends.

 

'And to interrogate you about Yuri. What's the deal with the two of you? And Im Yoona! Aren't you going to spare us some attention?' 

 

'There's nothing going on between Yuri and I. We're just friends.'

 

'Do you like her?'

 

Tiffany began her questioning.

 

'I don't know. Maybe?'

 

'Oh. That's something new. So....are you guys meeting for dinner tonight?'

 

'W..Wait, how do you know I'm going out for dinner with her?'

 

'The previous text was from her, wasn't it? Honestly, you're starting to lose your poker face. Is the ice queen losing her touch?'

 

Tiffany teased. Jessica glared at her best friend, ready to just tackle the girl when Yoona shouted.

 

'FOUND HER!'

 

Tiffany and Jessica got off the bed and walked towards the younger girl. They both went on either side of Yoona and stared at the computer screen.

 

'Is this the one you've been talking about? She's......'

 

Jessica commented, pausing to find the right word to say

 

'She looks really young and uptight. Are you sure you have a crush on her?'

 

Tiffany added in. Yoona ignored their comments and scrolled down on the girl's timeline only to pause at the 'recently added friends' posting.

 

'She's friends with Taeyeon? As in your Kim Taeyeon?'

 

Yoona clicked on the notification causing Taeyeon's profile to appear. 

 

'Wait, you're not even friends with her? And I thought the two of you are officially dating?' 

 

Jessica noticed the lack of 'mutual friend' between Yoona and Taeyeon's profiles. 

 

'What. We're not at that stage yet.'

 

'Is social network even considered a stage? You're hilarious!' 

 

'Shut up! It's not like you're friends with Yuri or anything.'

 

Tiffany retorted only to have Yoona nudging her. The younger girl had clicked on Yuri's profile and it showed that Yuri shared Jessica and Taecyeon as mutual friends. 

 

'Social networks don't mean anything.' 

 

Tiffany said in defeat and moved back towards the bed.

 

'I'm just curious. How exactly did you find her?'

 

Jessica took over and Seohyun's profile reappeared on the desktop screen. 

 

'I'm not telling.'

 

Yoona replied unwilling to tell her friends that she had actually spent the night before trying to find Seohyun's profile. 

 

'Stalker much.'

 

'I'm severely confused. If she's your childhood crush, is it a one-sided thing or?'

 

Tiffany asked without looking up from her phone

 

'Not exactly. We had the same nanny. So we spent a lot of time together. There were other kids but it has always been just the two of us.'

 

'Uhhuh....Go on.'

 

'Well, we went to the same school for a year.'

 

'Anddd....?'

 

'Her parents got a promotion and were transferred out of town. I think it was Japan? We lost touch after that.'

 

'And you can't get over her because of that?'

 

Jessica asked

 

'She was my first kiss.'

 

Yoona heard giggles as soon as she gave out that bit of information. 

 

'Tell me again, why are we friends?' 

 

Yoona huffed and continued looking at Seohyun's pictures, ignoring the teasing that was happening behind her.

 

'You're going to miss us teasing you when you leave tomorrow!'

 

Tiffany told the girl before bursting out into laughter

 

=================================================

 

'Hey, Sooyoung. Thanks for dropping by at such short notice, especially since you just got back.'

 

'No problem. What do you need help with?'

 

Sooyoung asked Taeyeon as she entered the girl's house. 

 

'Just a summer project. Are you busy?' 

 

'No. I don't really have anything going on. I'm pretty sure anything is better than unpacking.'

 

'Great. Yuri's at the back. I just need to grab something from my room.'

 

Taeyeon gestured Sooyoung to the backyard while she went up to her room to get her phone. Sooyoung walked to the back only to be greeted by a girl in a tank top, sweating it out in the sun. She couldn't help but stare at how fit the girl look. 

 

'Oh, hey. Didn't see you there. You must be Sooyoung? Taeyeon and Sunny told me about you. Do you mind passing me the drink?' 

 

Yuri walked towards Sooyoung as she took off her gloves. Sooyoung handed over the glass of iced lemonade to the tanned girl and watched in awe when Yuri emptied the glass.

 

'Aahhh. That was nice. It's really hot. I'm Yuri. Don't worry about that. That's a different project that I'm doing. I'm in the midst of redesigning my room. So I'm borrowing Taeyeon's backyard to do the dirty work since Mr Kim doesn't mind.' 

 

Yuri pointed to the planks of wood that she was sawing just a few seconds ago. 

 

'So, are you really attending our school next semester?'

 

'U..Uhhuh. Received my acceptance letter not too long ago.'

 

'Great! Do you need help unpacking? Taeyeon told me that you arrived two days ago.'

 

'Well, I'm trying to put it off as much as I can. Unpacking can be such a chore.'

 

Sooyoung commented.

 

'I see that the introductions are done? Shall we get started?'

 

Taeyeon gestured the pair to the guestroom next to the pool. 

 

'I'm not sure about you, but I'm already regretting that I offered to help the shortie.'

 

Yuri told Sooyoung. Yuri poured herself another drink and finished it before following Taeyeon. Once inside the guesthouse, the cold air from the airconditioning was a huge relief from the summer heat. 

 

'So...what do you guys think?'

 

Sooyoung took one look at the thing Taeyeon just showed them and looked at Yuri. The pair looked at each other, turning back to look at the thing and back at each other before bursting into laughter. Yuri laughed so hard that she had to lean against the wall while Sooyoung was literally rolling on the floor laughing.

 

'What? What's wrong with it? Oh come on, guys! It can't be that bad? Seriously! Stop laughing!'

 

Taeyeon frowned at the sight of her two friends laughing uncontrollably. Yuri helped Sooyoung get on her feet again and the pair leaned on each other for support as they wiped the tears from their eyes. 

 

'I'm so sorry, Taeyeon. It's just....oh god. What in the world is that thing suppose to be?'

 

Yuri pointed out at the clay figurine that Taeyeon showed them. Unsure if it was an animal or a shape of significant meaning. She felt bad for laughing at Taeyeon's 'masterpiece' but she just couldn't help it.

 

'Definitely, A for effort.' 

 

Sooyoung added causing both her and Yuri to burst into laughter once again. 

 

'All I can say is that, I'm glad you consulted us before handing this over to Tiffany. You definitely could do better, why don't we go shopping instead? Has she texted you? Have you texted her?'

 

Yuri asked trying to switch the subject. Taeyeon shook her head and sighed. She has been waiting for Tiffany's message for days now. Unsure if it was appropriate to text the girl after seeing how Mr Hwang reacted. A part of her wanted to know if Tiffany was okay, a part of her was too scared to text just in case Mr Hwang has Tiffany's phone. 

 

'Come on. Let's go out and get some comfort food.'

 

Yuri suggested, leading the way. She walked over to her car and changed her clothes before gesturing at the pair to get in. Summer was the only time when she gets to make full use of her car since her parents made it very clear that she was not allowed to drive to school. Mr and Mrs Kwon had given Yuri a long lecture about keeping a low profile in school about their family's wealth. As a result, only the girls knew about her family's background, not even Taecyeon or the rest despite the fact that Yuri is quite the social butterfly in school. 

 

'Hang on a minute'

 

Yuri told the girls while she typed a response on her phone. She placed her phone back into her pocket, turned up the stereo a little and drove out of Taeyeon's driveway.

 

'Is it just going to be the three of us today?' 

 

Sooyoung asked from the backseat.

 

'Uhhuh. Are you expecting someone else?'

 

Yuri answered, her eyes on the road.

 

'E...Erm, not really. I just thought Sunny might join us or something.'

 

Sooyoung replied. The first and last time she spoke to Sunny was the time they went to the amusement park. She would be lying if she didn't feel any sort of attraction towards the girl. In fact, one of the things other than meeting Taeyeon and attending her new school that Sooyoung felt she would look forward to was actually meeting Sunny again. 

 

'Oh. Soonkyu's probably having the time of her life now. She just sent me a picture of the Grand Canyon. It seems like Hyomin is actually going above and beyond for her. Can you believe that the girl actually went over to the states and convinced Sunny's mother on letting them go on a road trip together? Looks like Sunny won't have her usual boring summer this year.' 

 

Taeyeon showed Sooyoung a few pictures that Sunny sent her. Sooyoung tried her best to show a smile as she saw the selfies that Sunny took with Hyomin. She recognized the girl next to Sunny as the one who was standing outside of Sunny's gates. As much as she hates to admit it, Sunny does look happier than the last time she saw the girl at the amusement park. Taeyeon missed the change in Sooyoung's smile but Yuri, who happened to look at the rearview mirror noticed the slight drop in Sooyoung's smile. Yuri looked back at the road before Sooyoung noticed and made a mental note to ask the girl about it when they were alone.