Chapter 13

Bus Crush

Yuri gave the cab driver directions to one of her favorite restaurants. There was a long queue outside the restaurant and Jessica was surprised that Yuri was just walking to the front of the line. She knew the restaurant that Yuri picked very well. She was only surprised because what Yuri was doing is a similar scene to what her father would do when they decide to eat at the restaurant. Jessica was familiar with the restaurant since her family had dinners there quite often. Most of the time, in one of the restaurant’s exclusive private rooms. Sometimes, she would also tag along with her father when there are business meetings over dinner. Her father is afterall, part owner of the restaurant.

 

‘Good evening, Ms Kwon. Oh, good evening, Ms Jung.’

 

The lady at the front of the line greeted the pair.

 

‘Table for two?’

 

The lady asked. Yuri nodded. She knew the lady but she wasn’t expecting the lady to know Jessica as well.

 

‘Sure. A moment please. Table for two for Ms Kwon and Ms Jung’

 

The lady spoke through a walkie talkie. It didn’t take long for a waiter to appear gesturing the pair to follow him.

 

Yuri smiled at Jessica, prompting the girl to enter the restaurant first.

 

The waiter was about to pull out the chair for Jessica when Yuri stopped him and insisted on doing that gesture herself.

 

‘Would it be the usual for the both of you?’

 

The maître d asked the pair.

 

‘Yes sir.’

 

Yuri and Jessica replied at the same time. There was a slight moment of awkward silence as soon as the maître d left the pair alone.

 

‘So, do you come here often?’

 

Yuri asked Jessica

 

‘I should be asking you the same question.’

 

‘I asked first. I’ll answer once I get your reply.’

 

‘I come here often with my family. My dad and his business partner owns the restaurant.’

 

Yuri raised one of her eyebrows when she heard what Jessica had answered

 

‘Are you by chance……the daughter of Mr Jung? Jung Holdings?’

 

Jessica looked at Yuri surprised that Yuri knew such information

 

‘Do you know my father?’

 

She asked the taller girl.

 

‘Woah. Talk about a small world. Or does this count as fate? My dad happens to be your father’s business partner.’

 

‘No way. Mr Kwon? Kwon Enterprise? Wow.’

 

The pair almost broke into laughter at the new information.

 

‘Are you the older daughter or the younger daughter?’

 

‘Older one. My younger sister’s Krystal.’

 

‘Ahh…I can’t believe that we haven’t met each other before. I’ve seen your dad so many times. I’ve even had dinner with him a few times.’

 

‘Same here. Now that I think about it, you do look a bit like Hyuk-jun oppa.’

 

‘Oh, you’ve met my brother?’

 

‘Yeah. I think our fathers were trying to be funny and tried setting up an arranged marriage. Obviously that didn’t work out, it wasn’t exactly a great idea either’

 

‘Oh.’

 

Yuri suddenly remembered what her older brother mentioned before he left for the US for his studies. He had spent the whole night talking about how he met a girl over dinner with their father and his business partner. He even said that he plans on getting to know her better once he’s finished with school. The girl in front of her, is the one that her brother has his eyes on.

 

‘Don’t take it the wrong way. It’s not that I don’t like him. It’s just……..’

 

‘You don’t have to explain yourself.’

 

Yuri interrupted the girl. She couldn’t help but feel a little bit upset.

 

‘Two wild mushroom risotto.’

 

The maître d announced as he placed the two plates on the table.

The pair ate in silence. Yuri would be lying if she said she was feeling fine. Strangely, she was feeling slightly dejected.

 

‘Do you want to go home? Where do you live?’

 

Yuri asked the girl as they were walking around the area after dinner

 

‘It’s only a few minutes away. I can take the bus home, it’s fine.’

 

Jessica told her

 

‘…At least let me wait for the bus with you?’

 

Yuri offered. Jessica smiled as they made their way to the bus stop. The pair barely talked since dinner.

 

‘Did I do something wrong?’

 

Jessica asked Yuri

 

‘Huh?’

 

‘Did I say something wrong?’

 

‘…..’

 

‘You’ve been awfully quiet since dinner.’

 

‘…Ah….I’m just tired’

 

Yuri lied.

 

‘My bus is here. Thanks for dinner. It’s nice meeting you.’

 

Jessica got up from her seat and flagged the bus. She waved to Yuri as she walked towards an empty seat.

 

Yuri was still sitting at the bus stop even long after the bus was gone. She leaned back against the glass and lets out a huge sigh.

 

‘Aish. I messed up didn’t I?’

 

She muttered before standing up. She decided to talk a long walk to clear her head. What are the odds that the girl that she found herself attracted to is the same girl that her brother had mentioned just a few months ago.