Chapter 5

Bus Crush

‘Did you get it? Did you get the picture?’

 

Taeyeon’s attention turned to her side when she saw Hyoyeon appearing from behind the pillar

 

‘Taeyeon, your face was epic. This is going to be my new display picture for your name on my contact list.’

 

Hyoyeon could barely hold her laughter. She shared the picture with Yuri who joined in, laughing at the picture.

 

‘Sorry, Taeyeon. It was her idea.’

 

Yuri pointed to Hyoyeon. Taeyeon was still trying to make sense of the prank that her two friends had just pulled on her. While she was doing that, Sunny was already out of her seat.

 

‘YOU CHILDISH BRAT!’ Sunny shouted and chased the two girls down the near empty hallways.

 

Taeyeon watched as her three friends started to disappear. Her heart had skipped a beat when Yuri said those things earlier. Now, she was feeling a little bit numb.

 

‘Soonkyu! Hyomin’s watching!’

 

Hyoyeon turned back to say while she was trying to get away from Sunny. It wasn’t as if both Yuri and herself needed Sunny to be distracted. Even without any distraction, there was no way that the shorter girl could keep up with them. Hyoyeon was just being herself. A Choding.

 

 

‘Aish! I’m going to get you one day! Just you wait, KIM HYOYEON!’ Sunny stomped her feet after realizing that she just got tricked. She slowly made her way back to where Taeyeon was sitting.

 

‘Taeyeon? Are you okay? It was a really bad joke.’

 

Sunny told the girl

 

‘I’m fine. Really, it’s my own fault for falling for it. I mean, what are the odds that the same girl is asking around for me right?’

 

The pair continued where they left off. After a few minutes, Taeyeon received a phone call from her father.

 

‘Taeyeon, are you still in school?’

 

‘Yup. Is there something you want me to do?’

 

‘Alright. Good. Let’s have dinner together. I’ll pick you up in about 45 minutes. Is that alright?’

 

‘Sure. I’ll see you then!’

 

Taeyeon ended the call and looked at Sunny

 

‘My dad’s picking me up in 45 minutes. Do you want a ride home?’

 

‘It’s alright. I think I’m going to stay in school.’

 

‘Huh? Are you sure?’

 

‘Yeah. I can go home on my own you know.’

 

‘I know but you don’t even really stay in school unless……are you waiting for someone??’

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrows.

 

‘W..What?’

 

‘It’s Hyomin, isn’t it?’

 

Taeyeon smirked as she best friend.

 

‘Fine. I’m waiting for Hyomin. Happy now?’

 

‘Definitely. So….are you guys seeing each other….or?’

 

‘We’re just friends. She asked me out to have some ice cream after school and I said yes. So….yeah. just purely friends.’

 

‘For now.’

 

Taeyeon teased Sunny. She knew that although Sunny has no issues about homouality when it comes to those around her, the girl still has difficulties when it comes to her own feelings. She had just ended a long-term relationship with her ex, Sungmin and the last thing she wants is to fall back into another. She was also unsure about her feelings towards Hyomin. She just wants to make sense of what she’s feeling before coming to any form of conclusion. It would be a lie if she said she didn’t like Hyomin but seeing that it has barely been a month since her breakup, she didn’t want Hyomin to be seen as a ‘rebound’.

 

 

‘She seems like a really nice girl.’

 

‘She is. She’s been there for me throughout the whole break up thing with Sungmin. It’s just….you know how I feel about these things.’

 

‘No one’s rushing you. It’s not like Hyomin’s pressuring you to some form of commitment right?’

 

 

‘She not. Nothing of that sort. I’m just a little confused with myself, that’s all.’

 

 

‘You know you can talk to me about anything right?’

 

 

‘I know. I just need to sort this thing on my own.’

 

‘Don’t be so hard on yourself, Soonkyu.’

 

Taeyeon smiled at the girl.

 

‘Hi.’

 

The pair found themselves being interrupted

 

‘Oh. Hyomin. I thought there was dance practice?’

 

‘Turns out it’s just a short meeting.’

 

‘Oh.’

 

‘D..Do you want to go for some ice cream now? Taeyeon, do you want to join us too?’

 

Hyomin asked the two girls.

 

‘It’s alright. Thanks but my dad’s picking me up in a bit. The two of you can go ahead.’

 

Taeyeon smiled and kicked Sunny’s shin under the bench.

 

‘Ouch. Aish. I’ll see you tomorrow then.’

 

‘Yeah. Yeah.’

 

‘See you, Taeyeon. It was nice meeting you.’

 

‘Same here!’

 

Hyomin and Sunny left and walked towards the side gate while Taeyeon made her way to the main gate. By the time she reached, she spotted her father’s car turning in from the junction.

 

‘Hey Kiddo. How’s your day?’

 

‘Same old thing. Dad, could you stop by the station for a bit?’

 

‘Sure. Why?’

 

‘I need to top up my bus card. You don’t have to send me to school tomorrow’

 

Taeyeon told her father. She was determined to wake up in time for her usually morning routine. She was already starting to miss her bus crush.