Chapter 17

Bus Crush

Mr Kim and Taeyeon were waiting at the hotel's lobby for their guests. Mr Kim had given Taeyeon a brief summary of their guests on the ride to the hotel. The client is a Korean who had started his company in Japan and was now considering to expand his business in South Korea. Instead of branching out, he was more interested in setting joint ventures with Mr Kim so that both companies could benefit. He had brought along his youngest daughter with him.

'There he is. Come on, let's go greet them.'

Taeyeon nodded and followed Mr Kim

'Good afternoon, Mr Choi. It's nice to see you again. Hello Soo Young. I would like to introduce you to my daughter, Taeyeon.'

Taeyeon smiled and greeted the pair

'She looks just like you. It's nice to finally meet you. Your father talks about you a lot. You're a freshman in one of Korea's top college? I was thinking of sending my Soo youngie there next year. Maybe the two of you can talk about that later when your father and I discuss business.'

Taeyeon smiled at the man and his daughter. They walked out towards the hotel's restaurant where Mr Kim had made reservations.

'That was a nice lunch. Taeyeon, why don't you show Soo young around town? I'll give you a call once we're done'

Taeyeon nodded and the pair excused themselves from the table.

'What would you like to do? Is there anything that you want to do?'

Taeyeon asked the girl

'Hmm, are there any popular street food or snacks? I didn't really eat much for lunch because I was planning on trying out the street food. I miss the spicy rice cakes!'

Sooyoung told the shorter girl.

'Oh, sure. Let's get ourselves more food then'

Soon enough, the pair were walking along the streets with food in their hands. They have warmed up to each other and those who didn't know any better might have mistaken them for best friends. Taeyeon and Sooyoung stopped at another food stall when Taeyeon's phone starting ringing. 

'YAH! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT FOR THE STUDY SESSION?!'

Taeyeon cursed herself silently when she heard an angry Yuri.

'I'm so sorry, Yul! I'll make it up to you. I'm at an important business meeting now. Talk to you later'

She ended the call quickly.

'Important business meeting?'

Taeyeon heard Sooyoung chuckle and she couldn't help but laugh. She was about to stuff more food into when her phone started ringing again.

'I'm really in an important meeting now. Sorry!'

She was about to end the call when she heard soft sobs over the phone. She looked at the caller ID and realized that it wasn't Yuri.

'Sunny? Hey, what's wrong?'

'..I..She said it was just a b..bet'

'Huh?'

'Hyomin said that it was just a bet. S...she said she made a bet with her friends.....But sh...she didn't expect to...to fall for me and wanted to come clean...'

'What?! Where are you right now?'

Sunny mumbled her location.

'Somewhere you have to go?'

'Do you mind?'

Taeyeon asked the taller girl.

'It beats staying in the hotel room alone. But would your friend mind?'

'She'd understand.'

Taeyeon told her as the pair stood up and made their way to the car.

'Wait, should we get her something? Like her favourite snack or i don't know. Something that might help cheer her up?'

Taeyeon smiled at Sooyoung's considerate suggestion. They bought Sunny a snack and got in the car together. Taeyeon gave the driver some instructions before leaning back into her seat.

'Sorry to cut our food adventure time short'

'It's no worries. If I end up going to the same school as you next year, I'm expecting more food trails.'

'Sure. I'll be more than happy to bring you around'

When the car stopped in front of Sunny's house, Taeyeon noticed a familiar figure standing outside the gate.

'What are you doing here?' 'I'm so sorry, Taeyeon. Please tell her that I really meant it when I said I have feelings for her. It was just a stupid bet from before I even got to know her.'

'Why did you do it? Why did you even agree on a bet that involves playing with someone else's feelings'

'I'm sorry. I'm really sorry'

'It's not me that you should be apologizing to'

Taeyeon gave the girl one last look before gesturing to Sooyoung to enter Sunny's home. The pair greeted the maids along the way as Sooyoung followed Taeyeon closely.

'Sunny?'

Taeyeon asked as she knocked on the door. She opened it slightly and saw the girl hugging her knees.

'Hey.'

Taeyeon called out to the girl and sat next to her. She rubbed the girl's back in an attempt to make her feel better. Sunny looked up and gave a small smile while wiping her tears when she saw an unfamiliar face.

'Sorry. This is Sooyoung, daughter of my dad's business clieng. Sooyoung, this is Sunny, my best friend'

The pair exchanged small smiles as an awkward silence filled the air.

'T..This is for you. Just thought it might help cheer you up. Food cheers me up.'

Sooyoung tried to lighten the mood.

'Thanks.'

Sunny smiled.

'She's waiting outside you know.'

'I know.'

'What do you plan on doing?'

'I don't know.'

There was a long silence until Sunny stood up.

'You're only here for a few days right? Do you want to go to the amusement park?' 

Sunny suggested

'Huh?'

'It'd be killing two birds with one stone. I need something to keep my mind off things and well, you should have some fun while you're here.'

'Great idea. But how are we going to get past the girl standing outside?'

Taeyeon asked

'It's fine. Come on. Let's go!' 

Sunny walked past the two girls and grabbed her coat. Taeyeon looked at Sooyoung and the pair exchanged shrugs while smiling at each other. Both amused by the shorter girl who was trying her best to look as if everything was just fine.