Chapter 2

Bus Crush

 

The rest of the day was quite mundane.  It was the last class of the day and it just happened to be Taeyeon’s most dreaded class. History. Only because the teacher teaching the class is an old lady that could probably pass off as an artifact herself. Taeyeon kept herself entertained by spinning her pen and doodling on her text.

 

She stared at the clock and sighed as what felt like a lifetime was only ten minutes in reality. There was still a long time to go. She stared out into the classroom that was directly opposite hers. Yuri was having English since she was busy chatting with Taecyeon and the other boys. She turned her attention back to her class and noticed that most of her classrooms were already falling asleep on their tables.

 

After what seemed like a few years, her class was finally dismissed. Taeyeon walked towards the bench outside of the school library. Her usual spot as she waits for Sunny and the rest to end their classes. It didn’t take long for her to see those familiar faces.

 

‘Ahhhhh. Finally it’s over!’

 

Yuri cheered. Always the happiest when school ended. Taeyeon spotted Sunny from a distance. The girl was talking to the dancer. She could tell that there was some sort of attraction between the pair. She also knew that Sunny would never admit that she has feelings for a girl.  Taeyeon then saw a guy walking towards Sunny, interrupting the conversation she was having with the girl. She could see the frowns on their faces, especially Sunny’s. The other girl then excused herself and walked away from Sunny and the boy. Taeyeon knew who the guy was. It was Sunny’s ex-boyfriend. Lee Sungmin.

 

‘Should we help?’

 

Yuri was now staring at the same direction as Taeyeon.

 

‘She would give us a call if she needed any. Let’s just wait.’

 

Taeyeon replied. They waited for a bit more and watched as Sungmin handed Sunny a white envelope. The guy then walked away while Sunny turned around to face them. She was giving them an unreadable expression.

 

‘So what was your lover boy talking to you about?’

 

Yuri started the questioning

 

‘He’s so rude. How can he interrupt a conversation like that? Should I text Hyomin and apologize on his behalf? Urgh. I don’t even have her number.’

 

Sunny pouted causing Yuri and Taeyeon trying their best to hold their laughter.

 

‘Is she all that you think about? What’s in the envelope?’

 

Yuri pointed to the while envelope that Sunny was holding.

 

‘Oh. You know the school carnival this weekend? He gave me some coupons to use during the carnival. Are you guys going? We can spend them together’

 

Sunny took out a few coupons from the envelope

 

‘No thanks. I’ve spent my entire weekdays in school. There is no way that I’m coming her on a Saturday morning just for some carnival’

 

Taeyeon crossed her arms.

 

‘Oh! That reminds me. I had English class and guess what?’

 

‘What?’

 

‘The girl that Taecyeon is seeing is currently in Year 11 too! He was texting her in class and she told him that she knows everyone in her cohort. She asked us to just give a brief description so she can help identify her’

 

‘Oh! Is the mystery girl finally going to be unveiled?’

 

Sunny smiled. Always the romantic.

 

‘It’s fine. I rather not let anyone else know. You didn’t tell him that I had a crush on that girl did you?’

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at Yuri.

 

‘Aish. No worries. I just told him I found a new target, that’s all.’

 

‘Anyway, Yul, are you going to the carnival?

 

Sunny asked the tall tanned girl

 

‘Of course. There’s a sprint competition going on. I need to beat Hyoyeon. Seriously, she’s almost as short as the two of you but she runs twice as fast as you guys.’

 

Yuri told them.

 

‘Yah! I’m not that short!’

 

They heard someone shouting. Kim Hyoyeon is part of their clique. Those the girl is always busy with other commitments, they would always meet for a short while after school ended. She happens to be the captain for the dance team. It was through Hyoyeon that Sunny got to know Hyomin.

 

The girls talked for a while more before it was time for them to head home. Just before they left, Yuri suddenly remembered something and voiced it out.

 

‘Ah! Taeyeon! I just remembered something. Taec invited the girl he’s dating to the carnival. Apparently she’ll be bringing two of her friends along with her. Why don’t you try and talk to the girl? Then maybe you’ll fine out more about your bus crush.’

 

 

‘Aish. There’s no need for that. I honestly like what we have now. Strangers. Makes her more mysterious.’

 

 

Taeyeon smiled as they all walked to the main gate. Taeyeon boarded her bus as usual. She alighted opposite from the bus stop that she would always switch buses in the morning. Since it was peak hour, there were a lot of people waiting for the bus. Taeyeon barely squeezed into the bus when someone stepped in.

 

As the person turned, Taeyeon realized who it was. Her bus crush. This was the closest they have ever been. And at that moment, they were standing so close to each other that Taeyeon saw almost every detail of the girl’s face. She was beautiful and Taeyeon was dumbstruck.