Chapter 6

Bus Crush

Taeyeon was spacing out after dinner as she sat in her father’s car. That night, she made up her mind on gathering her courage and finally approach the girl.

She woke up bright and early the next morning. Taeyeon grabbed an extra carton of milk as well as a small letter that she had written the night before. She placed the carton of milk in a small paper bag and made her way to the bus stop.

 

 

The girl waited rather impatiently for her bus. Continuously tapping her feet and looking at her watch while blasting songs through her earpiece. She could see the bus that she was planning on taking a distance away. As she got ready to be the first to board the bus, it seemed like fate had other plans. The bus had to stop for a red light and someone had tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder. She turned around only to find a girl looking at her. Slowly, Taeyeon removed one side of her earpiece

 

 

‘Hi. I’m sorry to bother you but do you have spare change?’

 

The girl asked. Taeyeon nodded her head and took out some spare change from her pocket

 

‘Thanks. I’ll repay you tomorrow morning since we take the same bus every morning’

 

Taeyeon was surprised at those words. It was her first time seeing this girl and she definitely didn’t notice that they’ve been taking the same bus every morning.

 

‘It’s okay.’

 

She told the girl. They boarded the bus along with a few others. As soon as Taeyeon got on the bus, she scanned quickly but was disappointed when she didn’t see the familiar face. She went on to stand at her usual spot, minding her own business when the girl that had tapped her shoulder earlier stood next to her.

 

‘Thanks for the coins.’

 

Taeyeon smiled just to be polite

 

‘You’re from GG High School right?’

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow surprised that the girl even knew her alma mater. She would be lying if she said she wasn’t feeling a bit freaked out.

 

‘I’ve seen you when I went to visit your school for a joint-program. I’m Seo Joohyun. You’re the top student for your cohort right?’

 

Taeyeon tried her best to recall if she has seen the girl before.

 

‘Are you in SM College now? I think I need to work a lot harder so that I can get into the top college in Seoul.’

 

Taeyeon barely said a word since the girl was doing all the talking

 

‘Do I sound really weird now? I don’t mean to scare you. It’s just that you’re really popular in my school.’

 

‘I am?’

 

Taeyeon was definitely surprised.

 

‘Uhhuh. Especially after you hosted the mock United Nations conference two years ago.’

 

Taeyeon did host the event but that was only because she was forced to. By the time the bus reached Taeyeon’s stopped, the girl had already gotten Taeyeon’s number. As Taeyeon waited to alight from the bus, she noticed her bus crush squeezing out from a seat all the way at the end of the bus. Turns out, she was on the bus, but blocked by a rather large man that was sitting in front of her.

 

As the girl got closer to the exit, Taeyeon couldn’t help but smile when their eyes met. In return, the girl gave Taeyeon a smile. Taeyeon’s smile grew wider after seeing the girl’s mesmerizing eye smile. Surprisingly, it seemed as though it was just the two of them alighting at the next stop. The girl stood next to Taeyeon and looked at her.

 

‘Hey.’

 

Taeyeon heard the girl say.

 

‘H..Hey’

 

Taeyeon responded. She didn’t know what else to say. When the doors opened, they both almost alighted at the same time causing their hands to brush against each other.

 

‘Sorry’

 

They both apologized to each other at the same time

 

‘Y…You first’

 

Taeyeon gestured. She waved at her new friend, Seo Joohyun, just as the bus pulled away. As she waited for her next bus, she found herself still standing next to her crush.

 

‘I didn’t see you on the bus yesterday.’

 

She heard the girl say.

 

‘This is for you.’

 

She received an envelope from the girl. Taeyeon was about to hand the girl the paperbag but realized that the girl was already boarding her bus. Taeyeon watched as the girl gave her another smile and waved at her. This time, Taeyeon found herself waving back. She stared at the pink envelope for a few seconds, contemplating if she should read it.