Chapter 16

Bus Crush

It was Friday night. Yuri and Taeyeon were hanging out in Yuri's room. Sunny had gone for another date with Hyomin just to make up for their lack of private time the following day. Taeyeon had been contemplating about asking Yuri a few questions. She has had a few guesses on who the girl might be but she wasn't sure how to approach the topic.

 

'So, you're planning on telling Sunny and Hyomin that they don't have to join us tomorrow? Does that mean it will just be the four of us?'

 

Taeyeon heard Yuri asking her

 

'Huh? Oh yeah. I told them about it this afternoon.'

 

'You're spacing out. What's wrong?'

 

Yuri asked the shorter girl

 

'It's nothing. Just a little nervous about tomorrow.'

 

Taeyeon lied. 

 

'Why am I being dragged into this while that shorty get to go on a date.'

 

Yuri mumbled.

 

'Do you have a date tomorrow?'

 

Taeyeon asked

 

'No, I'm just saying.'

 

'You owe me one anyway'

 

'What for?'

 

'Last week! When you left me and Tiffany alone!'

 

'But you had a great time right?'

 

'Yeah….'

 

'So shouldn't you owe me one? At least you had a better time than I did.'

 

Yuri mumbled the last part but Taeyeon managed to decipher it all.

 

'Oh. Come to think of…..you didn't tell me how it went with you and Jessica. Did she find her wallet? Did you guys head home straight or?'

 

'There's nothing much to tell. She found her wallet, we went for dinner at my dad's restaurant. Turns out that our fathers are business partners. End of the night'

 

Taeyeon frowned at the very short summary.

 

'That's all?'

 

'Uhhuh. What else could have happened?'

 

'Oh.'

 

'It's getting late. Are you staying over?'

 

Yuri pointed at the clock. It was already almost midnight.

 

'Oh crap. Got to go. I'll see you tomorrow at the cafe. 2pm! Don't be late!'

 

Taeyeon packed her stuff and left Yuri's room. Yuri let out a loud sigh before switching her game console off. She was about to switch off her lights and get some sleep when her phone started vibrating. She looked at the caller ID and was slightly confused as she picked up the call. 

 

'Hello? Yul?'

 

'Hello, oppa.'

 

'What are you up to?'

 

'It's after midnight here. I'm going to bed. What's up?'

 

'There's something I need to talk to you about.'

 

'Huh?'

 

'I heard that you met Jess? Jessica Jung.'

 

'Oh. How did you know?'

 

'Jess and I kinda keep in touch.'

 

'Oh. I didn't know she was the girl you were talking about. There's nothing going on between us. I'll make sure of that. I'm so sorry, I really didn't know she's the one.'

 

Yuri rambled

 

'Woah. Slow down. Do you like her?'

 

'Huh?'

 

'Just answer me honestly. Do you like her?'

 

'…….'

 

'Just so you know, I told you that I wanted to get to know her better because I like having her as a friend. She's a nice girl and if you like her, go for it. She doesn't swing my way. She made it very clear to me that night. The night My Jung and dad tried to fix some 'arranged marriage'. That was what made me want to get to know her more. Such a strong character but there's something more to that too. Anyway, go ask her out.'

 

'Wh…?'

 

'I'm your brother. When Jessica told me that your mood changed after you told her about our 'arranged marriage', I just had a feeling that my baby sister was jealous.  Then I remembered the things I told you about her before. I need to go now. Got a class in 10 minutes. Just go for it! Bye, kiddo!'

 

Yuri still had her phone to her ear even after the call ended. She was relieved yet worried at the same time. Her phone vibrated again and this time it was a message

 

' Here's her number XXX-XXXXXX. You can thank me later ' 

 

She debated with herself for a while before deciding to just take the chance and text the number

 

'Hey. Kwon Yuri here. I was just wondering if you would like to have an early lunch with me before our study session? I want to make up for last week. If you're up for it then, 12pm at the restaurant? Hope to see you there.'

 

Yuri pressed the sent button and tossed her phone aside. She was nervous and anxious about the reply. At the same time, since it was already almost 1am, she wasn't expecting a reply. The girl decided to go to the kitchen and get herself a drink. When she came back into her room, she noticed the white blinking light. She unlocked the screen and saw a reply. Yuri can't help but smile.

 

'Hello. Lunch sounds good. I'll see you at noon then. It's late, you should sleep soon. Good night! (: '

 

On the other side of town, a different situation was going on.

 

'You're late.' 

 

Taeyeon heard her father say.

 

'Sorry, I lost track of time when I was at Yuri's.'

 

'It's fine. Do you have any plans tomorrow?'

 

'I....I'm suppose to have study together with Yuri, Sunny and a few others.'

 

'Oh. I think you might have to cancel that.'

 

'Huh? Why?'

 

'I have an important business meeting with a client and his daughter is around the same age so he insisted that I bring you along. Family's a big thing to him. I mean, it's a big thing to me too. Can you do me a favor? It's lunch and you can bring her around after that before we meet again for dinner.'

 

'.....'

 

'Please?'

 

Mr Kim rarely asked Taeyeon for a favour. She knew that this meeting must mean a lot to him.

 

'Sure. I'll just let Yuri and the gang know about it.'

 

She excused herself and went up to her room.

 

'Hey, I know I was the one who asked you out for the study date but something came up. My dad has this business meeting with a client and I can't make it. Sorry :/ How about ice cream on Sunday to make up for it?'

 

She texted Tiffany.

 

'It's fine. I was about to tell you that I can't make it too. My dad just told me that he wants me to follow him to work tomorrow. I was going to tell you after I call Jessica but her line's engaged. I like the ice cream suggestion though. I don't have any plans for Sunday yet..'

 

Taeyeon smiled at the response. The pair continued texting throughout the night, forgetting to update both Yuri and Jessica about the fact that they were unable to make it for the 'study date'