Chapter 7

Bus Crush

Taeyeon opened the pink envelope and took out the pink piece of paper that was inside it.

 

Hey there, 

 

I just wanted to thank you for the other day. I wanted to thank you personally but I didn’t see you riding the bus so I wrote this hoping that I’ll bump into you today. If you’re reading this then I guess I managed to master enough courage to pass this to you. Hope you have a great day ahead!

 

the klutz,

T. H.                          

 

 

Taeyeon smiled as she slipped the paper back into the envelope and slipped it in between her notebook. She smiled as she looked out of the window. This was a perfect start to her day.

 

Her first class of the day happened to be the one she shares with Sunny, Hyoyeon and Yuri. It was Statistics. The teacher wasn’t around but everyone had been given a worksheet to finish and a relief teacher had written some formulas on the whiteboard before leaving them on their own. Taeyeon took out her notebook to write down those formulas. It was then that Yuri, noticed the pink envelope when Taeyeon was digging her bag for her pencil case.

 

‘OOOOH. What is this?’

 

Yuri waved the pink envelope.

 

‘Looks like a love note. Doesn’t it? Who is it from?’

 

Hyoyeon joined in

 

‘YAH! Give it back to me!’

 

‘It is a love note then!’

 

Yuri teased as she opened the pink envelope. Hyoyeon on the other hand helped to block Taeyeon from standing up.

 

‘OMG! Riding the bus? Is this who I think it is? What did you do to deserve thanks? DAEBAK!’

 

Yuri tried her best not to laugh in disbelief.

 

‘You’re not pulling another prank are you?’

 

Sunny raised her eyebrow

 

‘I’m being serious. See for yourself.’

 

Yuri passed over the envelope. Hyoyeon was still holding the struggling girl down

 

‘This is amazing, So it’s not one sided afterall! It’s all yours, Hyo.’

 

Sunny handed the envelope to Hyoyeon who returned to the seat and started giggling along with Yuri.

 

‘It’s just a letter of thanks. It doesn’t mean anything.’

 

‘But it’s a start! You should write one back.’

 

‘B..But.’

 

‘Just write one in return. You can be like…..letter buddies or something. Since you’re so shy to talk to her!’

 

Sunny suggested.

 

‘Yeah. Start exchanging letters! That’s kinda romantic actually.’

 

Yuri smirked while nudging Hyoyeon

 

‘Uhhuh. I agree with them both but just don’t declare you crush on the first letter. You wouldn’t want to freak her out after finally progressing.’

 

Hyoyeon smiled as she returned the envelope back to the original owner.

 

‘I’ll think about it’

 

Taeyeon replied

 

‘You need to at least give her a reply! I mean, if I plucked up enough courage to give someone something, I would expect at least a reply. You’ll make her think that you’re extremely unfriendly or worst, that you hate her.’

 

Sunny tried to convince Taeyeon.

 

‘Fine, I’ll write her a letter.’

 

Taeyeon muttered earning a round of more teasing from her friends. That afternoon, Taeyeon took a different route home. She didn’t want to risk the chances of bumping into the girl empty handed. She rolled around her bed restlessly that night, thinking about what to write to her bus crush. It wasn’t until a few hours later did Taeyeon got off the bed and took the plastic bag that contained the colored envelope and paper that she had bought from the school’s bookstore earlier.

Hey,

 

 

No worries about the other day. I didn’t take the bus because I was running late that day. Would you like to have ice cream? Do you know the famous ice cream parlor near where we would switch buses? If you’re free today, shall we meet at the bus stop at say 4pm?’

 

p.s. you don’t have to have ice cream if you feel uncomfortable.

 

p.p.s what does T.H stand for?

 

Regards,

Kim Taeyeon

 

 

Taeyeon took one look at her finished letter and crushed it.

 

‘Too creepy.’

 

She spent the next few hours writing and rewriting. Soon, her wastepaper basket was full.

 

‘Argh. I can’t do this. I don’t know anymore! I’ll just settle for this.’

 

Taeyeon wrote one last letter before sealing it. That way, she could prevent herself from staying up all night.

 

She woke up in time the next morning and waited for the bus. This time, the same girl that approached her yesterday talked to her while they waited for the bus. Once she got on the bus, Taeyeon scanned the room and spotted the girl easily. They exchanged smiles, acknowledging each other’s presence. Since the bus was rather crowded, Taeyeon was unable to move near the girl. Instead, she spent the bus ride talking to Seohyun. She stole glances from time to time smiling at her bus crush. The girl too, returned the smiles.

 

As usual, the pair alighted from the bus together. Taeyeon was hoping that they could at least chat but her bus was just behind the one they had just alighted from.

 

‘My bus is here. This is for you.’

 

Taeyeon passed the girl a baby blue envelope as she rushed to the back to board her bus. She waved to the girl as her bus pulled away. This time, she hoped that the contents of her letter wouldn’t scare the girl away.