New Year's Resolutions

Pinky-Promises

"Are you sure you're not mad at me anymore?" Jaehwan timidly asked Taekwoon the same question he had been asking the entire day.

"Jaehwan, you've been asking me that question since Christmas day, and that was six days ago. Honestly, I'm not mad at you anymore." Taekwoon rolled his eyes at his friend.

"I'm just making sure. I'm really sorry..."

"Jaehwan, you've been telling me that you're sorry since Christmas day, too. Seriously, stop apologizing. I've told you to stop six days ago."

"Right...sorry..." Jaehwan heard Taekwoon let out a sigh, and he let out one of his own.

They sat in silence for some time before Taekwoon huffed. He sat up from his bed and faced Jaehwan. Jaehwan stared at Taekwoon curiously. The staring contest lasted for a few seconds before Jaehwan began blinking rapidly, whining. Jaehwan didn't like how Taekwoon just did that. When he had something to say, Taekwoon would stare at him for the longest time before speaking.

"We should do something for New Year's." Taekwoon suggested the idea fondly.

"Our families always have that party. That's something." Jaehwan didn't know what else to say other than that.

"I mean that we should do something different. Just us and our friends."

"You mean like start off the New Year with our friends?"

"That's exactly what I mean."

"But Taekwoon, we're only twelve. There's not much we can do."

"It was just a suggestion..." Taekwoon looked to the wall and pouted slightly.

"Are you pouting?"

"No."

"Taekwoon..."

"I will decapitate you."

"Ok, you're not pouting."

The conversation came to a halt. Jaehwan wanted to start off the New Year with his friends like Taekwoon had said, but as a twelve-year-old, there wasn't much he could do. He couldn't really miss the party his and Taekwoon's family always threw on New Year's Eve. His parents made it clear a long time ago that they didn't want him celebrating the start of the New Year without his family. Jaehwan got an idea as he thought about the party.

"Hey Taekwoon, we could just ask our parents if our friends' families could come to the party they always have." Jaehwan smiled brightly as he shared his idea.

"Yeah, but their families probably have parties that they already throw or go to." Taekwoon stared at the ceiling sadly.

"That's true...but at least we'll be starting off the New Year together."

"We do that every year, Jaehwan. That's nothing different."

Jaehwan felt a little hurt by that comment. He thought that Taekwoon liked consistency. Jaehwan didn't think that Taekwoon would want to do something different. He was glad that his friend actually wanted to spend time with other people, but to him, it sounded like his best friend wanted nothing to do with him anymore. He may have been over-reacting, but Taekwoon had been acting a little differently since what had happened on Christmas.

"I'm sorry, Taekwoon." Jaehwan whispered his regrets to the floor, and Taekwoon sat back up.

"Why are you apologizing?" Taekwoon looked at his best friend, concerned.

"A lot of reasons, I guess."

"Jaehwan, look at me." Taekwoon waited for Jaehwan to look up. "Did I say something?"

"It just...it sounded like you were bored of me for a minute."

"You know that's not what I meant."

"I know. I was just worried because of what had happened on Christmas..."

"Lee Jaehwan, I swear, if you bring up what happened one more time, I will ignore you for a month."

"Right...I won't bring it up again..."

Silence settled itself in the room again, and Jaehwan shifted uncomfortably. Jaehwan was aware that he made both his and Taekwoon's mood worse, and he didn't like that. He was supposed to be the mood-maker of the two of them. He was always supposed to be happy and cheer them both up. Jaehwan needed to take care to keep his position in their friendship.

"Well, what's your New Year's Resolution?" Jaehwan had a smile on his face when he asked.

"I don't really have one."

"Really?"

"Well, I'm not going to say that I'm going to try to make more friends, but I'll try to become closer to Hakyeon, Wonshik, Hongbin, and even Sanghyuk."

"See, you do have one."

"Yeah, I guess I do. What about you, Jaehwan?"

"Mine's a secret until the countdown."

Taekwoon groaned at that. He couldn't understand why Jaehwan couldn't just tell him now. Jaehwan took the holidays seriously, but couldn't he just tell him what his resolution was now? Taekwoon wasn't a patient person, and he didn't like how Jaehwan decided to keep this a secret when he was just going to tell him later anyway. Jaehwan might as well just tell him now.

They sat in silence for a bit longer before Taekwoon's mom called them down to help set up for the party. Their families switched between Taekwoon's house and Jaehwan's house each year, and the party was going to be at Taekwoon's for this year. Jaehwan took his regular job of setting out the bowls and setting up the table in the dining room. Taekwoon took his job of helping his mom with some of the food and pouring the drinks into the cups that Jaehwan already set out.

Two hours after getting everything ready, the guests started arriving for dinner and to socialize before the countdown. Most of the guests were adults. They were co-workers friends, and family of Taekwoon and Jaehwan's parents. They brought along some kids, but most were either older or younger. There weren't many other twelve-year-olds that the pair could talk to. Instead, they settled for each other's company in the crowded house.

"I don't like having these people in our house." Taekwoon looked around at the guests and glared at the wall.

"Your house is bigger than my house, so it's not as bad as it could be. You called your house 'our house' again."

"It feels like our house. You're here more than your own house."

"Where else are we supposed to hang out?"

"Your house."

"You know my brothers don't like you..."

"I know. I'm practically family. They need to deal with it."

Jaehwan couldn't help but giggle at Taekwoon's stubbornness. The latter was always talking about how the former's brothers needed to get used to him. Taekwoon wasn't wrong, though. It had been almost seven years. Jaehwan's brothers needed to accept the fact that him and Taekwoon were going to be best friends for the rest of their lives.

"Ten minutes left!" One of the guests yelled out, and everyone chorused their joy.

"Ten minutes left, Taekwoon." Jaehwan whispered to his friend.

"Yeah." Taekwoon whispered back to Jaehwan, at the same volume. "Are you going to tell me now?"

"Tell you what?"

"Your resolution."

"When there's a minute left, I will."

Taekwoon groaned and watched as the adults began pouring champagne into their glasses. The minors were given sparkling cider. Jaehwan quickly retrieved their glasses and scampered back over to the corner they had been sitting in. He handed Taekwoon a glass, and the latter accepted it with a slight smile.

"Five minutes left!" This time, a different guests yelled out the time.

"Five minutes left." Jaehwan was giddy with excitement.

"Five minutes left..." Taekwoon sighed.

It was annoying for Taekwoon to have to wait to hear Jaehwan's resolution. There was nothing hard about Jaehwan telling him at that moment, yet he insisted on waiting. Jaehwan was being more stubborn than Taekwoon had ever been. It was just a resolution, yet Jaehwan was making such a big deal out of it.

"Hey, Taekwoon." Jaehwan gently poked his friend's arm to get his attention.

"Yeah?" Taekwoon rolled his eyes slightly.

"There's a minute left."

"Finally!"

"My resolution is that I will think about all the possible consequences and outcomes of my actions before doing anything. That way, I won't break any of our promises again. They way, I won't risk our friendship again."

"You still feel guilty about that..."

"Of course! I almost lost my best friend."

"Promise you'll stick to that resolution?"

"Taekwoon, I pinky-promise."

Like so many times before, they reached their pinkies out and linked them. They kept them liked together, and both boys glanced at the television. There were eleven seconds left.

"Ten." Jaehwan turned back to Taekwoon and smiled.

"Nine." Taekwoon decided there would be no harm, so he smiled back.

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Six." Jaehwan lowered his voice so that he was whispering.

"Five." Taekwoon lowered his voice to match Jaehwan's volume again.

"Four."

"Three."

"Two." Their pinkies were still linked together, but the grip was more relaxed.

"One." Taekwoon and Jaehwan whispered together, and they finally let their pinkies go.

 

"Happy New Year, Taekwoon." Jaehwan smiled his extremely bright smile that lit up his entire face. It was Taekwoon's favorite smile.

"Happy New Year, Jaehwan." Taekwoon smiled back, but his was dimmer compared to Jaehwan's.

"Another year passed. It's been almost eleven years since we've been friends. It will be eleven years at the end of June."

"Yeah. We've been friends since we were five."

"Yeah! It feels like it was just yesterday when you rejected my offer to be friends." Jaehwan laughed. "It's hard to believe we're both sixteen now."

"It's weird to think that we're juniors in high school now."

"It really is. Hey, Hakyeon and Sanghyuk are here!"

Jaehwan pulled Taekwoon to where their friends were, and they happily chatted, reminiscing over the events that took place over the year. Ever since Jaehwan made his resolution when him and Taekwoon were twelve, they seemed to be closer than ever. That day was also the last day they made a pinky-promise. It was strange for the pair to not make pinky-promises anymore, but they got used to it since it had been four years.

That was another year behind them, and they couldn't wait to see what the New Year had in store for them.

 

A/N: That's right. I time skipped. Awesomely. Because I'm awesome. No I'm not. The time skip was awkward for me to write... Was it awkward to read? I bet it was. I just...come on, a lot more happens in high school. Middle school is just a bunch of fluff and friendship. With the occasional kid with raging hormones. And the other occasional kid that already has themselves all figured out.

ANYWHO. I hope you liked the chapter~ They're in high school now, so a lot more will be happening. *wink wink nudge nudge* Not really between Keo. Or maybe that's where all the drama will be. *evil laughter* Alright, I'm done. Happy New Year, guys! Guess what time it is. That's right. Shout out time. Starting from the person that subscribed to me after my last shout out. Yeah.

yonsul , 88momo88 , VEloneY , mithra , littlegoldbox , MonkeyFish , superkpopgirl , bean-prince , hanibarbie , urilda , Venice_98 , XxSaranghaeyoxX , kpopfwenzy , Minah-aff , yunyunie , blankpaper , Ayano131 , SuJuUKissLover , RiverPhoenix , sara12345 , Hime504 , himura_93 , angelchonsa , lala94 , EvilBaboo , Joeunheul , WhiteAngelG , KwonMiyoung96Line , sundaylatte , aidylx16 , mylady1218 , Jessichan , PinkCeptionx3 , SukiSomething , 19minutes , fallemonade , ShawolShineeTaemin , shineegul0405 , kekeke , remello , shimminyoungsw , analiz , keoprince , astunty , MicaelaDeneen , randomeee , ReikoXeo , siwonovi , ThatOneOtherWriter , CASIGO , InpiniteuTinTap , writinglover , kgorzz , ShesMyBlackPearl , livy621 , MyunggyuKaisooKeo , leejiarui , haileymay14 , Candi94

​Wow there were a lot of you. I'm glad~. By the way, this story has 100 subbies. Thanks so much~!!! I love all of you~~~!!!