Fall Chorus Concert

Pinky-Promises

Taekwoon and Jaehwan had never used their vocal chords so much in their lives. The fall chorus concert was coming up, and their teacher was continuously talking about how everything had to be perfect. She was constantly stopping the class and making them start an entire song over. It didn't matter if it was only one person who made a mistake or if they were at the very end of the song. If the teacher heard a mistake, the entire class had to start over.

You could see that the teacher was stressing out. Her usually neat bun was replaced by a messy one with stray hairs falling into her eyes. She was developing dark circles underneath her eyes, and she was always nearly screaming by the end of class. She had a mad gleam in her eye whenever she quickly turned to face a student who called out her name. Everyone was trying their hardest to meet her standards, but it wasn't enough.

The class quickly learned not to complain about being overworked. The first time a student complained about their throat being sore, she slammed her fist onto the piano and yelled for the student to get out of her class. Jaehwan felt bad for the student, but Taekwoon didn't. Instead, Taekwoon felt bad for the piano. It was suffering a lot because of the teacher's stress. The next student to complain was given a detention on the spot. The thing that was surprising about that was that the student was the teacher's favorite. That was when the class knew there would be no room for anything other than practice.

Jaehwan couldn't go the rest of the day without complaining about a sore throat whenever he talked. Taekwoon didn't complain at all, unsurprisingly. Taekwoon didn't talk much, so he didn't suffer as much as the others. Instead, he opted for telling Jaehwan to shut up if his throat hurt so much each time the latter complained.

The one good thing that came out of everyone's overworked vocal chords was that Taekwoon and Jaehwan didn't have to hear Hakyeon talk. Also, it was apparently a tradition for Hakyeon to go silent a few days before the concert. Hakyeon explained that it was to 'preserve his voice quality' on a piece of paper when Taekwoon kept giving him strange looks for not talking. It was strange, but it was a relief to Taekwoon and Jaehwan nonetheless.

The Sixth Grade Mixed Chorus was going to be singing four songs. They were average length songs, and the words, rhythms, and tunes were relatively easy to remember. The songs only seemed difficult because of all the unnecessary work the teacher was putting into it. The way the class was singing it was fine. It sounded almost exactly like the recording of the songs that the teacher had them listen to at the beginning of the year.

The teacher started recording every rehearsal when it was a week before the concert. The class would have to listen back on the songs, and the teacher would begin pointing out everything that was wrong. A lot of the mistakes that the teacher pointed out weren't even major mistakes. No one in the audience would have realized a slip up. The teacher's stress was slowly affecting all of the students, and everyone was becoming easily irritated. The only person who's behavior didn't change was Taekwoon's.

Taekwoon's behavior didn't seem any different to anyone. He rarely talked, and when he did, he was always really quiet about it. His level of singing was already high, and his voice didn't ever crack or falter during the rehearsals. Also, Taekwoon always looked annoyed, so there really seemed to be nothing different. However, Jaehwan noticed that Taekwoon was crankier than usual. He'd always start sighing between songs, and he'd sigh even more when the teacher said something negative about the rehearsal. Jaehwan noticed that Taekwoon was tense during almost every rehearsal, and the latter would try to avoid talking about singing as much as possible.

Jaehwan started thinking that maybe chorus wasn't the best for Taekwoon. Taekwoon loved singing, but Jaehwan could tell that the former didn't enjoy it as much as he seemed to before. Also, whenever the topic of music came up, Taekwoon was always interested in the conversation and gave his input every once in a while. Taekwoon loved to talk about singing and always did so whenever he was given the opportunity. During his free time, Taekwoon would always start humming or singing quietly. It worried Jaehwan that Taekwoon was doing none of those things lately.

At lunch, Jaehwan and Taekwoon sat down at their new table that specifically had room for only two. After Jinsu started sitting at their old table, a lot more of her friends began flocking toward it. It was discomforting that Jaehwan and Taekwoon were the only boys there, so they had a silent agreement to find new seats. Luckily, they found the table they were currently sitting at being concealed by a protruding part of the wall. Jaehwan was relieved to be away from Jinsu again, and Taekwoon was glad to be able to enjoy his food in silence. Well, as silent as silence could get in a crowded cafeteria with Jaehwan sitting on the other side of the table.

"Taekwoon." Jaehwan waited for the said boy to look up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Taekwoon looked confused before shaking his head and continuing to eat.

"There's something wrong."

"No, there isn't."

"Taekwoon, I know you like the back of my hand. Something's wrong, and I want you to tell me." Jaehwan crossed his arms stubbornly.

"I hate chorus."

"I knew there was something wrong! Really, yo-" Jaehwan paused for a moment. "Wait, what? You said that you hate chorus?"

"It's more of what the teacher's doing to it."

"What, you mean overworking us? Yeah, it's unfair, but I don't think that's a good reason to hate the class."

"No, I mean that she's taking the fun out of it."

"Ok, I don't get where you're coming from."

"Singing is supposed to be enjoyed. I can't enjoy it if she's forcing it on me."

"Well, she's forcing it on the whole class, actually."

"Jaehwan."

"Sorry! Sorry. If you're starting to hate the thing you like doing the most, you should just quit the class."

"I can't."

"Why not?" Jaehwan already knew why not, but he decided to ask anyway.

"It's one of the few classes we have together."

"Yeah, but come on. We're best friends. I go over to your house basically everyday anyway. Besides, I hate how you seem all gloomy now." The last remark earned Jaehwan a glare, but he could tell it was half-hearted.

"I know. You're right. I just can't quit the class though." Taekwoon let out a sigh.

"Fine, I understand. Just don't regret that decision."

"I won't."

"Do you promise?" Jaehwan saw Taekwoon raise an eyebrow.

"Yes, I promise."

"Do you pinky promise?"

"Jaehwan." Taekwoon groaned at the question.

"At least say you do."

"Fine. I pinky-promise that I won't regret not dropping out of chorus." Taekwoon rolled his eyes at Jaehwan's smile.

 

It was the day of the concert, and Jaehwan was over at Taekwoon's house, freaking out. They were supposed to wear white shirts and black pants, but Jaehwan didn't have a single white shirt that didn't have anything on it. He quickly ran over to Taekwoon's house and began tearing through the latter's closet for a white shirt. Jaehwan turned to see Taekwoon with one held out to him, an expression on his face that seemed to be saying, 'really?'. Jaehwan let out an embarrassed laugh and quickly put the shirt on.

"How do I look?" Jaehwan held his arms out and smiled.

"Like Jaehwan. Now let's go. My sister's waiting." Taekwoon walked out of the bedroom, and Jaehwan pouted before running after him.

Taekwoon's sisters loved Jaehwan. They babied him as much as they babied Taekwoon. Well, they used to. They stopped when the boys became middle-schoolers. They did occasionally mess around with him, but he wasn't treated any differently than Taekwoon. Jaehwan was basically their second brother. This also had a downside. Jaehwan got to be scolded by them along with Taekwoon. He got to be ordered around by them along with Taekwoon. But of course, the better things stood out more. Whenever one of Taekwoon's sisters decided to take Taekwoon for ice cream, Jaehwan got to tag along. It was nice.

"Come on short-stacks. You guys can't be late for your first chorus concert of the year." Taekwoon's sister started the car, and they were on their way to the school. "Oh, by the way, mom and dad are going to be able to make it back in time for your concert. They were let off of work ten minutes ago. If they're not there for the beginning, they'll be there for most of it."

Jaehwan let out a small cheer, and Taekwoon smiled slightly. He was glad that his parents were coming to see his chorus concert. He had a feeling they would, though. Whenever Taekwoon was part of an event, his parents always came to watch, even if it interfered with their work. Jaehwan's parents wouldn't have been able to make it to the concert, so he was glad that his 'other parents' were going to be there.

When Taekwoon's sister parked the car, Jaehwan grabbed Taekwoon and his sister's arm and dragged them to the auditorium. Taekwoon was trying to yank his arm from Jaehwan's grip, and his sister just laughed before planting her feet on the pavement and holding Jaehwan's wrist.

"Slow down short-stack. I know I said that you shouldn't be late and that you're excited, but you've got plenty of time thanks to my expert driving." Taekwoon's sister pulled her arm from Jaehwan's grip and smiled.

"You ran a red light. That's why we have time." Taekwoon rolled his eyes at his sister and began pulling Jaehwan instead.

"Don't start talking about driving with me, mister. I'm the one that's going to be teaching you to drive, so no smart comments."

"Wonderful. I'll look forward to seeing you with flowers at the hospital."

Taekwoon dragged the laughing Jaehwan away, and his sister soon followed, complaining. Taekwoon decided to tune her out and just pointed the way she had to go. Once she disappeared to get a seat, Taekwoon and Jaehwan walked to the chorus room. The class did a few warm up exercises and went through the beginning of the pieces before the teacher smiled.

"All of you will do wonderfully." The teacher led them onto the stage, and Taekwoon mentally sighed. All that stress and suddenly she's back to normal.

The teacher introduced the class as the Sixth Grade Mixed Chorus and talked briefly about the songs they were going to sing. The pianist began playing, and the class began singing. Halfway through the song, Jaehwan and Taekwoon saw the latter's parents enter the auditorium and sit down. From that point forward, Taekwoon and Jaehwan sang a little bit happier. They successfully sang through their concert with no mistakes, but the teacher had a displeased look on her face. Everyone shrugged it off. They were going to hear about it the next day anyway. It probably wasn't that important.

Everyone filed off of the risers, and Taekwoon and Jaehwan both speed-walked to meet up with the former's family. They were complimented and congratulated on their first concert, and they were offered to go out to eat. Without hesitation, both boys agreed. They decided that chorus wasn't going to be so bad if they got to go out to eat after each concert.

 

 

A/N: Guys, I did it. I posted a chapter. This is chapter 1/5 of the ones I'm going to post to celebrate Vixx's first win. If you don't know what I'm talking about, refer to the chapter before this one. I already have the general ideas for the other four chapters, I just have to type it out. Thank you for readin you guyzezezezzzzzz! Oh Lord, I'm lame. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, though. This boring chapter...

Love me ;-;

Actually, love Vixx. *shoves Vixx in your face and down your throat*

Hehe...he...hehe...*cough*

Well, I'm off! *gets on horse and rides away*