Keeping and Making Promises

Pinky-Promises

After their first meeting at the playground, Taekwoon kept his promise and met Jaehwan again. Jaehwan was extremely happy to see the other boy, and they grew closer each time they saw each other.

Eventually, they didn't have to worry about whether or not the other would be at the playground the day they went. When school started back up, the boys discovered that they had the same first grade class. They were both delighted to know this, but Jaehwan expressed his joy more openly than Taekwoon.

Jaehwan was a social butterfly and talked to all of the kids in the class. Taekwoon kept to himself, but that was mostly because the other kids stayed away from him. He only talked to Jaehwan, and Jaehwan made sure to include Taekwoon in all of his activities. They were inseparable since the first day. Although it made Taekwoon uncomfortable, Jaehwan dragged him around whenever he went to talk to another classmate.

True to his word, Jaehwan didn't shed a single tear after he made the promise to Taekwoon. It was difficult, but he didn't cry. Jaehwan didn't cry when an unknown boy pushed him, when he fell off his scooter, when he lost his favorite toy, or when his mother yelled at him for bringing a bucket of worms into the house. Jaehwan wanted to stay friends with Taekwoon because he thought that Taekwoon was interesting. If Jaehwan cried, though, Taekwoon wouldn't be his friend anymore.

It had been a year since the two boys first met, and Jaehwan discovered that Taekwoon was awkward when it came to displaying emotions. Not that he understood it, of course. A six-year-old Jaehwan couldn't fully grasp why his friend Taekwoon didn't laugh or smile as much as the other kids his age.

"TEACHER, TAEKWOON IS BEING A MEANIE-FACE!!!" Jaehwan snapped his head up and looked in the direction that the yell came from.

Taekwoon was staring blankly at a girl that looked like she was on the verge of tears. Taekwoon had been waiting for Jaehwan at the painting station and had accidently spilled paint on the girl's drawing.

"Now now, it's not nice to say things like that about your classmates." The teacher gently patted the girl's head and crouched down to meet her height. "What happened that made you say something like that?"

"He spilled paint all over my drawing! I was gonna give it to my mom and dad!"

"That doesn't mean you can call him something like a meanie-face."

"He did it on pu...po...pe...pu...pur...purple...purpose...purpose! He did it on purpose!"

"Why would he do that on purpose?"

The girl's reason was that she thought Taekwoon hated her. She thought he hated her because Taekwoon never talked to her. The teacher asked Taekwoon if everything was an accident, and he just nodded quietly. The teacher said that recess would be extended until she finished a new drawing since she really wanted to give one to her parents. After the girl agreed, the teacher walked to his desk and everyone resumed what they were doing.

Jaehwan speed-walked over to Taekwoon and pulled the boy to a table that nobody was at. Taekwoon looked at Jaehwan in slight confusion, but immediately sat down when the other boy did.

"Let's just do something else over here."Jaehwan timidly suggested the new idea to Taekwoon since he didn't want to do something the other boy didn't want to do. He also felt like it was his fault that Taekwoon was called a meanie-face since Jaehwan was the one that suggested painting during recess.

"Let's sleep." Taekwoon looked at Jaehwan and spoke seriously.

"We can't sleep, silly! This is recess, not nap time!"

"I want to sleep." The two had a bit of a stare down before Jaehwan gave in.

"Fine! You can sleep. I'll wake you up when recess is over."

Taekwoon put his head down and quickly fell asleep in response to Jaehwan's statement. Jaehwan quickly grew bored, and decided to entertain himself by making faces at the unconscious Taekwoon. Soon enough, the girl finished drawing, and the teacher announced the end of recess.

Jaehwan blew into Taekwoon's ear, and the other boy shot out and arm and grabbed Jaehwan's. He glared at him and tried to fall back asleep.

"Hey! You can't go back to sleep! Recess is over!"

"No."

"Taekwoooooooooooooooooooon! You'll get in trouble!"

"I don't care. Sleep."

Jaehwan pouted and tried thinking of a way to fully wake up Taekwoon. He decided to just hold Taekwoon's arm, the one that wasn't already holding one of Jaehwan's own, and pulled as hard as he could. As a result, they both fell to the floor, and Jaehwan earned himself a smack to the arm. As Taekwoon got off of Jaehwan, he couldn't stop himself from calling Jaehwan stupid. Jaehwan felt himself tear up at the no-no word directed at him, but he knew that he couldn't break his pinky-promise. Aside from when they first met, Taekwoon never called Jaehwan stupid in the entire year that they knew each other. Taekwoon was probably really mad about being woken up and kept from going back to sleep.

Jaehwan pushed himself off of the floor and walked over to Taekwoon. Jaehwan hugged him and apologized for waking him up and causing them to fall to the floor, and Taekwoon quickly apologized for calling Jaehwan stupid again.

"You didn't cry?"

"No, silly. My eyes are dry, and I can't break the pinky-promise that I made you." Jaehwan pouted at Taekwoon for thinking that he shed some tears.

"Good."

Jaehwan stared at Taekwoon a bit before giggling. Taekwoon was so interesting to him, and he wanted to be Taekwoon's best friend forever. Jaehwan suddenly got an idea, and ran after Taekwoon, who had started walking to his seat. He grabbed Taekwoon's arm and made sure he had the other boy's full attention.

"Taekwoon, I want us to be friends forever." Jaehwan beamed at Taekwoon, who was shocked at the sudden statement.

"Ok, let's be friends forever." Taekwoon took a hold of Jaehwan's hand as he spoke.

"Do you promise?"

"Jaehwan," Taekwoon wrapped all of Jaehwan's fingers except for his pinky. "I pinky-promise that we'll be friends forever."

Jaehwan giggled as he watched as Taekwoon clumsily linked his pinky with his own. After Taekwoon untangled their pinkies, he kept his grasp on Jaehwan's hand and walked them to their seats. Jaehwan smiled for the rest of the day, and Taekwoon gave a barely noticeable one whenever he saw the one on his friend's face.

 

A/N: YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! The chapter is up sooner than I thought! So, the lovely subscriber who's username I forgot, I lied to you. I updated just now instead of tomorrow. Hehe, sorry. It's another short chapter, but I like it! Wait...is this one shorter than chapter one? I dunno... Hmph, I can't believe that little girl called Taekwoon a meanie-face. >:(

I already have seventeen subscribers on this story, so I thank all of you~! *throws more cookies as a form of bribery* LOVE MEEEE D:

Um...anyway, thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!