Downhill

Pinky-Promises

Taekwoon had gone home with a heavy heart. After Jaehwan left Hakyeon's house by slamming the door, everyone filed into the library to see Taekwoon on his knees, staring blankly at the floor. Hakyeon scolded him for what happened, but Taekwoon didn't care. He knew it was his own fault, so he didn't bother listening to the words coming out of his friend's mouth. He knew that if he did, he would feel even worse. Eventually, Sanghyuk and Wonshik pulled him to his feet and led him to the door. Wonshik walked him home.

With nothing on his mind but how horrible of a person he was, Taekwoon fell onto his bed, groaning. He decided he didn't want to think too much about everything that happened that day until the next morning, so he his side and quickly fell asleep.

 

Taekwoon found himself at the playground in his neighborhood, completely alone. He looked around and walked until he reached the sandbox. Suddenly, a little boy pushed past him and began building a sand castle, looking incredibly lonely. He was soon joined by another little boy, and Taekwoon thought the first boy wouldn't look so lonely anymore. The second boy stood in front of the first boy, watching him carefully.

"Hi." The second boy spoke, and Taekwoon was suddenly filled with a sense of déjà vu. The first little boy looked up and just stared. "I said hi." The second boy pouted before continuing. "My name is Lee. Jae. Hwan. That's how you say it. Lee. Jae. Hwan. Don't you know how to talk? I like to talk. Talking is fun. Talky talk talk." Jaehwan giggled. "See? Talking is fun."

Taekwoon felt like he was going to be sick when he realized that he was reliving the time he first met Jaehwan. He watched as little Jaehwan began crying when little Taekwoon refused to be friends with him. Taekwoon knew what was going to happen next. His younger self would apologize and start crying, and then they'd pinky-promise. They'd become best friends.

"Stop crying. You're such a baby." Little Taekwoon frowned at little Jaehwan and threw some sand at his feet.

Taekwoon was horrified by what little Taekwoon said, and he felt his heart break a little when little Jaehwan began crying harder. Little Taekwoon didn't care about the tears spilling down the other boy's face, and he kept building his sand castle. The scene disappeared, and he found himself in an empty hallway of his high school.

There were voices echoing down the hall, so Taekwoon walked until he found the source. He saw a group of boys standing around a body curled up at their feet. The group was saying terrible things to the person at their feet, and that person was doing nothing. One of the boys from the group bent down and grabbed the person by the collar, yanking him to his feet. Taekwoon saw that it was himself being pushed against the lockers.

Taekwoon saw himself glare at the person holding him up, and he took a few steps closer to get a better view of the scene. He froze when the boy spoke.

"You're a ing eyesore, you know that? You do absolutely nothing. All you ever do is watch people, and it's ing creepy. Don't you know how to talk? Or does your self think we're not good enough for you to talk to?" It was Jaehwan, and the other boys with him were their friends. "You're absolutely worthless. A ing waste of space and skin."

Hakyeon, Wonshik, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk laughed before sneering at him. The sound of heels clicking on the floor caused them all to tense and look up, but the group relaxed when they saw who it was. Taekwoon saw himself trying to get out of Jaehwan's grip, but he couldn't. The girl that approached the group gave Jaehwan a peck on the lips before wrapping his arm around her.

"Are you guys at it again?" It was Jinsu, and Taekwoon couldn't believe that she was with Jaehwan.

"Of course, sweetheart. He needs to learn that nobody wants a like him here." Jaehwan glanced at Taekwoon and spit in his face. Jinsu gasped and properly faced Jaehwan.

"Did he try to touch you again?" Jinsu gasped again when Jaehwan nodded. "That's horrible! Why is he still able to stand? He deserves to be on the floor bleeding for trying to touch you!"

"I know. I was just getting to giving him what he deserves." Jaehwan smirked when Jinsu squealed in delight.

"Alright, come over to my place whenever you're done. I think you'll deserve a little reward after this." Jinsu winked before walking away, and Jaehwan quickly turned back to Taekwoon.

Taekwoon watched himself flinch as Jaehwan drew back a fist. It hurt to watch himself get beaten up by the people he called his friends. It was painful to see that he did nothing to help himself. It broke his heart to see the people he cared about beating him like he was nothing, and it was horrible to see himself just take it. The scene disappeared right when Taekwoon saw a tear slide down his own cheek among the bruises that were beginning to form there.

"You're such a baby."

 

With tears streaming down his face, Taekwoon woke up. He glanced at the clock by his bed and saw that it was nowhere near the time he had to wake up. His chest felt tight, and he curled up into a small ball. Taekwoon's breaths came in short gasps, and his body felt as if it really had received the treatment his friends gave him in his dream. He wrapped his arms around himself and whimpered as the tears flowed down his cheeks in a fresh wave. He didn't want to live like that. He wanted Jaehwan to stay by his side. He wouldn't be able to take it if Jaehwan was against him. He would truly be alone without his friends.

"Jaehwan." Taekwoon gasped out his friend's name between sobs. "Jaehwan, I'm s-sorry." Taekwoon whimpered and let his sobs shake his body until he fell back asleep.

 

Compared to the day before, school was much worse. Everyone noticed that the group of six were avoiding each other like the plague, but that just fueled the rumors. There were talks of lover's quarrels and someone not being 'good enough in bed'. No matter where they went, the six boys were followed by the rumors and nasty looks.

Taekwoon had been waiting for the opportunity to talk to Jaehwan alone, but whenever he saw him, the latter turned in the other direction. It hurt to know that Jaehwan was being serious about never talking to him ever again. Taekwoon hoped that Jaehwan would forget, even for just a moment, that they had that argument. They hadn't had a normal conversation since the night they kissed, and Taekwoon desperately wished they'd go back to normal. Taekwoon wanted his Jaehwan back.

When everyone was at lunch, Taekwoon stayed behind in the empty classroom. He thought he'd finally be left alone to think about everything, but someone soon joined him in the classroom. Of course, it just had to be Jinsu who walked in. She walked straight over to Taekwoon, and she leaned against him. Taekwoon really wanted to push her away, but at this point, he knew that it would only make things worse.

"There's an easy way to stop these rumors, you know." Jinsu ran her hand up and down his arm, and he grimaced. "We just have to tell them it was a lie."

"You started them. They'll know you're lying." Taekwoon tried taking a step back, but she followed.

"No, we just have to use certain things to our advantage. We can stop the rumors if we tell them we're dating, and tell them that I started the rumors to cover it up." Jinsu went back to running her hand up his arm.

"Bull." Taekwoon decided to ignore the hand.

"Don't you want all the torture to stop for your friends?" Jinsu continued when Taekwoon said nothing. "We're dating. You're introverted and such a good friend to Jaehwan, who has had a huge crush on me for so long. You didn't want to hurt his feelings, and you wanted nobody to know about our relationship. And me, being the wonderful girlfriend I am, agreed to hiding our relationship by pretending I hated you. That is why these rumors were started, but since you decided you absolutely hated seeing your friends going through so much, you agreed for us to make our relationship public." She slowly laced her arms around his neck, and he made a face.

"Believable, but I'm not acting like your boyfriend." Taekwoon cringed when Jinsu stood on her toes to match his height.

"You will." There were voices echoing down the hall. "And you can start now."

Taekwoon froze when Jinsu pushed their lips together for the second time in their lives. It was disgusting, and his fingers twitched in annoyance. The voices in the hall were coming closer, so Taekwoon gave in and wrapped his arms around her waist. If Taekwoon wanted the rumors to stop and for his friends to be able to go to school without worries, he knew he needed to be convincing.

There was a gasp at the doorway, and Jinsu pulled away from him, looking to the door. Sanghyuk was standing there with a freshman girl that obviously didn't believe the rumors if she was talking to him, and they were gaping at the scene before them. Sanghyuk looked at Taekwoon with anger and betrayal in his eyes, and Taekwoon knew he was in a lot of trouble. There was no way Sanghyuk would keep quiet about this.

Taekwoon and Jinsu watched as the girl slowly backed away and ran off, most likely going to tell someone what she saw. Sanghyuk was still standing there, and he took a step forward. He seemed to think better of it and turned around, about to leave the room.

"I'll leave you two alone. I'm...I'm going to go find Hakyeon." With that, Sanghyuk left.

Jinsu turned back to Taekwoon, and he quickly dropped his arms from her waist. She smirked at him, and he pushed her away. He knew that she wouldn't do anything this time. She got what she wanted, and Taekwoon was going to suffer because of it. He needed to catch up to Sanghyuk, or else everything would just get worse.

 

A/N: I swear that everything will get better soon. I SWEAR. Please don't stop reading because of this ;-; it'll get better soon. It will. I promise.

You can throw tomatoes at me...I'll give you cookies too if that'll make you happy...

But for real, I HATE JINSU WHY DO I KEEP WRITING HER IN.

Goodbye for now...much love...?