The Rumors and the Promise

Pinky-Promises

Warning: Cussing. Wow, there's a lot of cussing in this chapter... Well, it's a lot for this story... Just letting you guys know. I don't want anyone to be too surprised about the language.

 

The next day at school, Taekwoon found out that Jinsu was serious about spreading rumors to the whole school about him and his friends. The day had started out well. Nothing had happened until the group of six actually stepped onto the school grounds. That was when everything started. There were whispers and dirty looks, and only Taekwoon knew why until they made it to the door to enter the school.

"Hey Taekwoon!" A freshman boy approached the group, smiling. "The six of you look really happy this morning. You guys obviously did something fun last night."

There was laughter from the students that had been listening in, and Taekwoon ignored everyone. He wasn't going to show anybody that he was angry. He maintained his emotionless face, but the five behind him were clearly confused. They were approached by a few more students, but their words were subtle enough for Jaehwan, Hakyeon, Wonshik, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk to remain oblivious. Taekwoon hoped too soon that it would stay that way.

Once they reached the front door of the school, Taekwoon halted abruptly, staring at the picture plastered on top of the peeling paint of the metal door. There were shocked gasps from the boys behind him, and they were all frozen in place. A few moments passed before Hakyeon reached forward that tore the picture from the door, examining it carefully.

"This is from the party." Hakyeon's words jolted Taekwoon, and he mentally cursed. "Taekwoon, Jaehwan, someone had taken a picture of when we were playing truth or dare. Whatever rumors are being spread about you two, they can't be denied. This picture is real, and the school knows it."

"That ..." Taekwoon mumbled under his breath, but Jaehwan caught it.

"Taekwoon, what's going on?" Jaehwan reached out to put a hand on his friend's shoulder, but Taekwoon jerked away sharply. Jaehwan took a step back, surprised and hurt. "Taekwoon..."

"Thanks for taking down my display. That was hard to put up, you know." The group looked up to see Jinsu frowning at them. "It doesn't matter. More than half the school already knows that the six of you are faggots, and that's all you need to know."

"You prissy ! What the  did we do to get this? You better explain, you ugly !" The source of the voice surprised everyone. The one who spoke was Hongbin, and his face was red with rage. "You know damn well that we don't deserve this, and you have no ing right to call us faggots! One ing picture that some ing bastard took while Jaehwan and Taekwoon were doing a dare doesn't prove ! It was a ing dare. Everybody that was at that ty party knows that! And if anyone that knows the truth spreads these ing rumors, they're es! You deserve to burn in hell for pulling a stunt like this, you ugly-, insufferable !"

There was silence, and all the students who were in hearing range were staring, wide-eyed. Hongbin was visibly shaking in anger, and everyone was at a loss for words. Hongbin never got angry. Hongbin never even got upset. Hongbin was always smiling, and it took a lot to get him mad. Everyone looked to Jinsu for her reaction, and her face was unreadable.

"What did you just call me?" Jinsu's voice was quiet.

"I called you three things. I called you a , an ugly , and an ugly-, insufferable ." Hongbin's tone of voice matched Jinsu's.

"You're going to regret that, pretty-boy." Jinsu turned to face Taekwoon. "I warned you, Taekwoon. Everything's just going to get worse for you and your friends, and it'll be all your fault."

Taekwoon watched as Jinsu walked away, and he let out a long sigh. He felt his friends' eyes on him, but he didn't feel like explaining anything at the moment, so he just walked into the school. The picture that was on the door was plastered all over the lockers and walls, but Taekwoon paid no attention. He didn't even care when a few things were thrown at him, and he just kept walking when his peers insulted him.

The day continued, and the rumors got worse as the day progressed. They started off as hushed whispers about the group's uality and their relationships with each other, but the rumors soon turned darker and more inappropriate. There was no escaping the onslaught of comments in the halls or classrooms, and the group avoided each other, spending the day in isolation from the rest of the student body.

Foul words were constantly thrown at them, and everyone was soon treating each of them horribly. Papers with crude drawings were thrown at their heads, and people were staring everywhere they went. The whispers followed them everywhere, and they were being emotionally battered the entire day. Every little action they performed was accompanied by a snide remark, and the six of them didn't think that they'd be able to take any more of the treatment, and it was only the first day the rumor was spread.

 

"Taekwoon, it's time for you to explain what is going on." Hakyeon was towering over Taekwoon, who had been pushed onto the couch in the former's living room. "We know that you know, so spill."

The entire group was present, but nobody was in any mood to joke around. Just an hour ago, Sanghyuk had been crying from everything that happened that day, and everyone comforted him until he stopped. Wonshik was uncharacteristically quiet, and Hongbin's anger from the morning hadn't disappeared. Hakyeon looked like he was ready to smack someone while breaking out into tears, and Jaehwan had a gloomy look on his face. Taekwoon's heart felt heavy, but it twisted at the sight of Jaehwan.

"It's my fault." Taekwoon breathed out the words, and everyone gave him their full attention. "Jinsu came to my house. I don't know how she knows where I live. I was angry, and I tried closing the door on her. I told her to go away."

"Go on." Hakyeon signaled for Taekwoon to continue when he paused.

"She said she'd tell the whole school we were...that word...if I closed the door on her. I didn't want that to happen. I opened the door all the way, and she told me she felt bad for me because I've been Jaehwan's friend for so long. She said she 'understood' that I was mad at him for kissing me. I said he didn't have a choice. It was a dare, but she said that I shouldn't pity him because he's disgusting." Taekwoon paused again and took a deep breath. "It was disgusting. It felt gross and wrong, and I don't want it to happen again. It was cold and uncomfortable. Jinsu...she kissed me."

"That is going to die." Hakyeon stood up, but Wonshik yanked him back down. "What kind of shameless bi-"

Hakyeon cut himself off when Jaehwan abruptly stood up and walked out of the living room. Taekwoon watched as he walked away, and he continued to stare in that direction for a few moments. He was pulled up by Hongbin with the command to talk to Jaehwan, so he allowed his feet to carry him to his best friend. He found him sitting on the floor of Hakyeon's library, face blank.

"What's wrong?" Taekwoon felt like he was at a loss for what to do to comfort his best friend.

"You're seriously asking me that." The question came out as a statement. "A lot of things are wrong, Taekwoon. My pride has been completely ripped apart thanks to those stupid rumors. My life has been messing itself up since that party. I just found out that my best friend was kissed by the girl I used to like. Even though I don't like her anymore, it still hurts. The girl I used to like kissed my best friend. Then again, I don't even know if you're my best friend anymore."

"I am."

"It takes two people to decide something like that. I don't think we're best friends anymore." Jaehwan remained emotionless, and Taekwoon's heart dropped to the floor.

"What?"

"We've hardly talked these past few days. It's only been a few days, but I feel like you've grown so distant. Something like that with Jinsu...why wasn't I the first to know? Why didn't you tell me first? The Taekwoon from before the party wouldn't have had to ask me what was wrong. The Taekwoon from before the party would have known exactly why I'm upset. Why have you been avoiding me?"

"You're one to talk!" Taekwoon was suddenly angry, and he ignored the better part of himself that told him to stay calm. "You haven't made an effort to talk to me either! You don't know what I'm going through! I've been so damn confused ever since you kissed me! How am I supposed to talk to you normally if I feel my emotions tangling up with each other every time I think about you!?"

"I'm sorry, but I know exactly what you're going through! Like you said, I'm the one that kissed you! How do you expect me to talk to you normally after doing something like that!? The only thing that I think of when I look at you is that kiss, and that scares me! How am I supposed to treat you like my best friend if I can't even see you the same way anymore!?"

"I don't see why it's so hard for you to act normally around me again!"

"It's not like you're trying any harder than I am! Stop being a hypocrite!"

"Why didn't you just say no to doing that dare!? It's your fault we're like this!"

"Oh, so it's my fault now!? It's all my ing fault!?"

"Yeah! It is!"

"Fine, then I'll fix this whole damn situation!" Jaehwan spat the words at Taekwoon. "I ing pinky-promise to never talk to you ever again! This friendship is over! That way, none of your problems will be my ing fault!"

Jaehwan roughly linked their pinkies together, and he quickly unlinked them. He shoved past Taekwoon, and the latter heard the front door slam soon after. Only then did he realize what had happened. Taekwoon stared wide-eyed at where Jaehwan was just standing, and slowly sank to his knees. His chest felt hollow, and his stomach was twisting into sickening knots.

Taekwoon had just ruined everything. He put all the blame on Jaehwan, and he lost his best friend. He lost his very first friend. Jaehwan had ended it the way it all started. Jaehwan ended it with a pinky-promise, and pinky-promises can't be broken.

 

A/N: You guys hate me now, don't you? I'm really really really suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper sorry. NONE OF THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Everything's going downhill now... Their friendship is over... ;-; Well, it's not actually over, but man, this story has a lot of conflict...

I hope you guys don't hate me too much. Everything will get better, I promise.

But wow, first pinky-promise in four years, and it was to end their friendship.

Bye...much love...?