The First Snowfall

Pinky-Promises

Taekwoon, Jaehwan, Hakyeon, Hongbin, and Wonshik were hanging out at the playground that was in Taekwoon and Jaehwan's neighborhood. It was cold, but they didn't care. They were too busy chasing each other around and tackling each other to the ground. When Wonshik and Jaehwan started chasing Hakyeon around, Taekwoon and Hongbin decided to just sit and watch. Hongbin's cheeks were flushed from running and the cold, but adrenaline was still pumping through his veins. He still wanted to do something.

Hongbin spotted an abandoned soccer ball and jogged over to it. He didn't know a thing about soccer, but he figured that it would be fun to just kick it around. Hongbin kicked the ball over to Taekwoon, and on reflex, Taekwoon stopped the ball with his foot. He glanced up at Hongbin's slight smile and slowly stood up. Soon, they were kicking the ball back and forth, increasing the distance between them to kick the ball further.

Eventually, Jaehwan and Wonshik gave up on trying to catch Hakyeon and joined in. After a while, the simple fun in kicking the ball to each other was replaced by a game. Their competitive spirits kicked in, and they were enjoying running around playing an improvised game of soccer. It didn't take long for them to collapse on the ground, side by side, exhausted. As they tried getting their breaths back, Taekwoon saw something white flutter above him before dropping in his hair.

He quickly sat up and began jabbing at Jaehwan's side with more force than necessary. Jaehwan's eyes were closed, but they quickly opened at the pain in his side. He sat up as well and pouted at Taekwoon. Curious, the other boys sat up as well. Taekwoon was faced with four confused faces, but the only explanation he offered was to point up. Everyone stared up for a few seconds and saw what Taekwoon had noticed a few seconds before. In unison, they exclaimed joyfully.

"Snow!" The five boys were quick to get up and jump around in glee.

After spending about half an hour on trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues, running around, and cupping their hands to gather some to throw at each other, they were officially tired out. They felt as if they had no more energy, but they were happy. The boys went their separate ways since it was getting late, but they agreed to meet up again to play in the snow.

Taekwoon walked beside Jaehwan as they made their way to the latter's house. Taekwoon had become slightly upset since they left the park, and Jaehwan noticed. He didn't understand why the former was upset, but after seeing his friend so happy, he didn't like it. Once they entered Jaehwan's house, he questioned Taekwoon about it.

"What's wrong?" Jaehwan looked at Taekwoon, concerned.

"I'm just a little upset. Nothing's wrong." Taekwoon started walking up the stairs, and Jaehwan followed him.

"Are you upset because all of us had to leave the park since it was getting dark?"

"That's part of it."

"What's the other part?" Jaehwan waited for an answer, but he got none. "Do you think that I forgot our tradition?"

"Maybe." Taekwoon looked to the floor.

"Come on, let's get started. It's not good for you to be upset on the day of the first snowfall."

Jaehwan grabbed Taekwoon's hand and pulled him down the stairs. The former continued pulling the latter until they got to the kitchen. Only then did Jaehwan let his friend go. He quickly opened the pantry door and rummaged for what he was looking for. On the other hand, Taekwoon was pulling some items out of the fridge. They both dumped the required items onto the counter and got to work. Jaehwan began preparing hot chocolate and popping popcorn, and Taekwoon began mixing ingredients for cookies. Thanks to his father and mother, Taekwoon already knew how to make a few things without a problem.

The popcorn and hot chocolate were finished a little before Taekwoon finished with the dough, and the two boys worked on shaping the cookies before placing them into the oven and relocating to the living room. There, they pulled multiple movies from the cabinet and began watching as they feasted on popcorn and hot chocolate while waiting for the cookies to finish. Halfway through their first movie, the oven dinged, signaling the finish of their cookies. Taekwoon got up to put the cookies on a plate, and Jaehwan followed to make more hot chocolate.

This was their tradition. Two years after becoming friends, they discovered that their parents made the both of them hot chocolate and cookies on the day of the first snowfall. They decided that from that point onward, they would get together on the day of the first snowfall and eat cookies with hot chocolate together. It was only the year before that they decided to add movies and popcorn to their tradition. They both liked the opportunity to pig out while still hanging out.

"You know..." Jaehwan trailed off and faced Taekwoon.

"What?" Taekwoon spoke after swallowing his cookie.

"We never really made our tradition official."

"What are you talking about? Of course it's official. It's a tradition."

"Well, I don't think it's official."

"What do you mean?" Taekwoon rolled his eyes and took another cookie from the plate.

"We didn't pinky-promise to make this official." Jaehwan pouted when Taekwoon laughed.

"That's what you meant?" Taekwoon watch Jaehwan nod. "Fine, if it really bothers you that much."

Jaehwan smiled his bright smile and put his cup of hot chocolate down. Taekwoon did the same and placed his cookie back on the plate. Jaehwan cleared his throat before speaking again.

"Do you pinky-promise that we'll do this every year on the day of the first snowfall?" Jaehwan held out his pinky joyfully.

"I pinky-promise that we'll do this every year." Taekwoon also held out his pinky.

They linked their pinkies together and waited a second before letting go. It was strange. It had been a while since the two pinky-promised. Well, they did on the first day of school, but they didn't actually do it. That pinky-promise was more of a mental one, but to Taekwoon and Jaehwan, it still meant just as much as all the actual pinky-promises they made to each other.

 

A/N: So, suuuuuuuuuuper short chapter, but hey, I got something for y'all next chapter~~~!!! Don't get too excited >.> remember, they're only in the sixth grade right now. So, considering what happened this chapter, I think it's obvious what's going to happen in the next chapter. Well, the event...ANYWAY. THIS IS 3/5 AND I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER UPDATED SO MUCH IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. This is how much I love Vixx, this story, and all of youuuuu~. 4/5 is up next, so I'm almost done updating in honor of their first win.

Hey, did you guys know that Leo's favorite song is Wetter by Trey Songz? Like...>.> Sir, is there something you're not telling us? You don't seem like the type...but then again, it's always the quiet ones...

Hope you enjoyed the short chapter! *gives cookies, hot chocolate, popcorn, and hugs*

See you next chapter!