Sleepless

Pinky-Promises

Taekwoon was lying awake in bed, incredibly confused. Jaehwan was mumbling in his sleep on the floor, but Taekwoon had learned to tune out the noise over the years. It was probably around three in the morning, but Taekwoon's thoughts were distracting him from the welcoming arms of sleep. The more tired he got, the more the thoughts invaded his mind. He couldn't understand why he lost his self control and kissed Jaehwan's neck. He didn't understand why he even had the desire to do that in the first place.

"Why did I kiss his neck? Jaehwan isn't a girl. Jaehwan isn't attractive. Well, he is attractive, but not to me. But I just said he was attractive, so he is attractive to me? No, he can't be attractive to me because he's not a girl. So, he's attractive to girls, but not to me because he's not a girl. Jaehwan isn't y either. I mean, he can be y. No, no he can't. Jaehwan can't be y. I mean, sometimes he bites his lip when he's nervous and it's kind of y. Wait, what? No, Jaehwan doesn't look y when he bites his lip. When did I even notice something like that? Am I a ert? Oh my God I think I'm a ert." Taekwoon sat up in his bed and continued mumbling to himself. "I'm obviously a ert if I wanted to kiss his neck, but maybe that was just because of my hormones. But I actually did end up kissing his neck, so I am a ert. I mean, being a little erted is ok, right? Since I'm a teenager and I have a lot of hormones. So it's ok to be erted. But not to Jaehwan. Jaehwan isn't a girl, so why am I being a ert toward Jaehwan? Maybe I want him to be a girl. Is that why? Why do I want him to be a girl? I'm a ert. I'm a erted ert. I'm a really erted ert that likes ing because I'm a ert. ert sounds so weird when you say it a bunch of times. ert. ert. Peeeerverrrrrrt."

Jaehwan woke up to the sound of Taekwoon singing about being a ert. He checked his phone and saw that it was four in the morning, and looked up to see Taekwoon swaying his arms and still singing. Taekwoon got louder and louder and switched from singing about being a ert to singing about doing ballet in a field of popcorn.

He could tell that Taekwoon was so tired that his brain was making him act loopy. There was a reason they couldn't pull all-nighters or wake up too early. Jaehwan watched Taekwoon grab his pillow and begin acting like he was dancing with it. At this point, Jaehwan knew that he needed to get Taekwoon to fall asleep or else the behavior would carry on into the next day.

"Taekwoon, it's time for you to go to sleep." Jaehwan reached over and pulled the pillow out of his friend's grasp.

"Oh! Jaehwan, you're awake! I didn't realize that you woke up." Taekwoon smiled and then pouted. "Hey, I want my pillow back. We were dancing together."

"I know, but you need to go to sleep."

"I don't want to."

"You have to."

"Why?"

"Because sleep is good for you."

"Why?"

"Because it help you grow."

"Why?"

"Because if you don't grow, people will make fun of you."

"But I'm tall."

"I know, but you still should go to sleep."

"Why?"

"Because" This was what Jaehwan was annoyed by the most. Taekwoon was so tired that he began acting with a child-like mentality. "if you don't go to sleep, you'll die."

"No I won't, you liar!" Taekwoon fell onto his back and stretched. "I'm not tired anyway."

Jaehwan sighed and stood up. He put the pillow back at the head of Taekwoon's bed and stared his friend right in the eye. They had a stare down before Taekwoon slowly raised his arm and poked at Jaehwan's nose. He continued poking at it and started giggling.

"Hey, why is your nose so big?" Taekwoon pinched it and giggled.

"My nose" Jaehwan began as his face went red, "is charming."

"I didn't say that it was bad that your nose is so big." Taekwoon pouted. "I just wanted to know why your nose is so big. I like your nose. It's charming, like you said."

"Thank you, but it's time for you to go to sleep."

"I'm not going to sleep." Taekwoon's eyes brightened like he just had an idea. "I'm not going to sleep unless you let me kiss your nose."

Jaehwan's mind went blank, and his face did the same. He just stared at his friend until Taekwoon went back to poking at his nose with a wide grin on his face. Taekwoon stopped poking and just stared at Jaehwan, who was trying to get his mind to properly work again. Eventually, Taekwoon wrapped his arms around Jaehwan's neck and pulled him down until they were both lying on the bed.

"Um, what are you doing?" Jaehwan pulled back slightly from Taekwoon, causing the grip around his neck to loosen.

"Well, since you didn't say I could kiss your nose, I decided that I'll go to sleep if you sleep with me." Taekwoon said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I don't really want to take up space on your bed."

"I won't go to sleep if you don't sleep with me."

"You'll hit me in the morning."

"No, I wouldn't hit you. It would be mean for me to hit you when I want you to sleep on the bed with me."

He gave up when Taekwoon tightened the grip around his neck, and he obediently laid down next to his friend. Jaehwan wrapped an arm around Taekwoon's waist and met the latter's eyes. Taekwoon's eyes crinkled at the corners when he smiled in an innocent, child-like way, and Jaehwan wondered if acting completely out of character when tired was how Taekwoon coped with things. He never really gave it much thought until now.

"Hey, Jaehwan?" Taekwoon snuggled into Jaehwan's chest as he spoke.

"Yeah?" Jaehwan tightened the grip he had around Taekwoon.

"Am I a ert?"

"I don't know, are you?"

It was silent for a bit, and Jaehwan thought over his friend's question. Why, of all things, was Taekwoon wondering if he was a ert? He understood that Taekwoon was probably confused about kissing him on the neck, but Jaehwan was confused about that too. Jaehwan blushed when he recalled the feeling of his friend's lips on his neck. He was confused about why it happened, but Jaehwan was more confused about why he didn't push Taekwoon away.

"I think I am a ert."

"Why do you think that?"

"Because I kissed your neck." Taekwoon paused. "I kissed your neck and kissed your lips, remember that?"

"It was actually me who kissed you, Taekwoon. It was a dare."

"I know, but I liked it. That's why I think I'm a ert. I liked it when you kissed me."

Jaehwan's eyes widened in shock, and his entire body froze. He didn't know how to react to a confession like that. He should be disgusted. Jaehwan should be disgusted because his best friend since childhood just told him that he liked it when they kissed. The confusion was beginning to give Jaehwan a headache, but one thought was clear. The feeling wasn't one-sided. Jaehwan had thought it felt nice when they kissed, but he wasn't about to admit something like that. It didn't matter if Taekwoon just admitted it for himself. Taekwoon wasn't in the right mind at the moment.

"Jaehwan, did you know that Jinsu is a bad kisser?" Taekwoon let out a laugh. "Like, she's a really bad kisser! I mean, I wouldn't really know because aside from you, she's the only person I've kissed. But when she kissed me, which was really gross, I hated it. Her lips were really chapped, which hurt, and they were cold and slimy. Yours weren't like that. Your lips were soft and warm, and I really liked it. You're a better kisser than Jinsu because kissing Jinsu is probably what kissing a dead fish feels like."

He couldn't help it, he really couldn't. As soon as Taekwoon finished talking, Jaehwan laughed. Sure, he felt bad that his friend had to go through that kind of torture, but the way he described it was so innocent. Jaehwan kept laughing, and Taekwoon's eyes were shining brightly as he watched. It took some time for Jaehwan to calm down, but once he did, Taekwoon was talking again.

"Did I ever tell you that it makes me really happy to see you laugh and smile?" Taekwoon reached up and squished Jaehwan's cheeks together. "You look the best when you're happy, and you have this one smile that I really like."

"You're way too honest for your own good, Taekwoon." Jaehwan grabbed one of Taekwoon's hands and loosely held it in his own. "You're always brutally honest, but you don't hide anything when you're like this."

"I like being honest. If I wasn't honest, I wouldn't tell you things like how I like your smile or how cute you are." Taekwoon noticed Jaehwan smile. "That's the smile! That's my favorite one! It's the one that makes your eyes seem really bright and it just makes you look so happy!"

"Well, I am happy."

"Good! But why are you happy?" Taekwoon tilted his head in curiosity.

"I'm happy because you called me cute, but you're way cuter than I am." Jaehwan saw Taekwoon puff out his cheeks. "You don't think so?"

"No! You're the cute one! It's cute when you get scared when we're watching a horror movie because you hold onto me like I'm the only one that can protect you. It's cute when you pout when you're upset or when you want something. It's cute how your eyes go really wide when you see something really cool or interesting. You're just cute!"

"Alright, fine. I'm the cute one." Jaehwan felt Taekwoon tighten his grip on their locked hands. "Can we go to sleep now?"

"Wait." Taekwoon looked up and stretched his neck, planting a quick kiss on Jaehwan's nose. "Now we can sleep."

Jaehwan just let Taekwoon lace their fingers together as he buried his face in the crook of his neck. Taekwoon let out a sigh, and his breath tickled, but Jaehwan kept still. As they both drifted off to sleep, Jaehwan thought about everything Taekwoon said in his loopy state. He found out a lot about what his friend thought about him, and Jaehwan came to a realization. Jaehwan was starting to develop feelings for his childhood best friend.

 

A/N: GUYS I JUST TOOK LIKE A GIANT LEAP OF FAITH WITH THIS CHAPTER. LIKE, WHAT EVEN IS THIS. IT'S A GIANT BALL OF KEO FEELS AND FLUFF, THAT'S WHAT IT IS. I SHOULD GET TAEKWOON TO BE RIDICULOUSLY TIRED MORE. Remember the first time, when he started talking to a wall? Yeah, good times...

I'm SUPER sorry for taking a while to update, but I did now, so are we all good now? Yes? No? Maybe?

Well, I hope you guys liked the chapter, at least.

Much love~

P.S. I kind of...started a new fic...and...could you guys give it a read...? I mean, it's bad right now, but it's only the first chapter! I honestly have no idea where I'm going with that fic, though.

The Angels and Demons Inside