Of Broken Gifts, Tears, and a Broken Promise

Pinky-Promises

It was five in the morning when Jaehwan's Chopper alarm clock went off. He had set it up in the living room and set it so that everyone could get an early start and open their presents early. The living room was filled with groans of protest when the alarm wasn't shut off right away. Hongbin was the first to sit up, and he sleepily kicked Wonshik so the latter would do the same. Hakyeon began grumbling about how he needed his full nine hours of beauty sleep, and Wonshik threw a pillow at him, saying it was too early for anyone to be listening to Hakyeon's girly ways. Of course, Wonshik got a glare that seemed a little more threatening early in the morning.

Jaehwan was awake, but he was struggling with opening his eyes. He stretched out his arm to turn off the alarm, but the alarm clock was too far to reach. Jaehwan was just going to leave it, but Hakyeon had threatened to smash it right when his arm fell to the floor. Jaehwan was up and shutting off the alarm in panic. Nobody was going to hurt his Chopper alarm clock. Nobody.

Taekwoon had grabbed Jaehwan's pillow and slammed it on top of his own head to block out all the noise. He was determined to fall back asleep. Taekwoon hated waking up early, and Jaehwan knew it, yet the latter insisted on setting the alarm to go off at five in the morning. Taekwoon pulled the top of his sleeping bag to cover his head, and Jaehwan pulled it back down. Jaehwan tried taking his pillow back from Taekwoon, but the latter had a firm grip.

"Taekwoooooooon." Jaehwan whined. "Get uuuuuuuup."

Taekwoon mumbled something incoherent and let go of the pillow, causing Jaehwan to fall back. Taekwoon pulled the top of his sleeping bag back over his face and zipped it, not to be disturbed. Of course, his best friend was annoyingly persistent, and laid himself on top of Taekwoon. He ended up being the one who was crushed since Taekwoon rolled over inside his sleeping bag, rolling on top of Jaehwan as a result. Jaehwan began whining, and Taekwoon reached out an arm from the sleeping bag and slapped the former, telling him to shut up.

Everybody ended up awake except for Sanghyuk, who was sleeping peacefully. Sanghyuk was undisturbed by all the commotion, and it was obvious that he was a heavy sleeper. Everyone decided to leave him be except for Hakyeon. Hakyeon, being the loving cousin that he was, flicked Sanghyuk right on the center of the forehead, waking him. Sanghyuk rubbed his eyes cutely and looked up at everyone. Eventually, he realized that everyone was staring at him, so he took cover under his sleeping bag, mumbling that he was awake and that he wouldn't fall back asleep.

Everyone stared at him a little longer before relocating to the kitchen. Only Jaehwan, Taekwoon, and Sanghyuk remained. Sanghyuk was waiting for everyone to leave, Taekwoon had already fallen back asleep, and Jaehwan was trapped underneath Taekwoon's body. Jaehwan saw no other option and began thrashing under Taekwoon. As a result, Taekwoon rolled off of Jaehwan and ended up on top of Sanghyuk, who squeaked and began apologizing for being in the way. Jaehwan stood up and ran to the kitchen, looking for cover before Taekwoon came to murder him. Taekwoon emerged from his sleeping bag, grumbling and half awake.

"Good morning Sanghyuk. Good morning floor. Good morning couch. Good morning table. Good morning Chopper alarm clock I gave to Jaehwan last Christmas and regret doing because you are really annoying and keep me from my beloved sleep. Goodbye dreams of winning the World Cup. Goodbye sleep. Good morning wall I'm about to w-" Taekwoon walked right into the wall that separated the living room from the kitchen.

Hakyeon, Hongbin, Wonshik, and Sanghyuk watched as Taekwoon slowly took a few steps back from the wall and stared at it in confusion. Taekwoon's forehead was red from hitting it against the wall, and he was spacing out. He reached out an arm and began petting the wall. Taekwoon's behavior was scaring the four that were watching him, and they became genuinely concerned when the former started to smile at the wall.

"I'm sorry wall. Didn't mean to walk right into you. Sorry if I hurt you. I hope you can forgive me. Well, goodbye wall. I'll see you later." Taekwoon finally walked away from the wall and into the kitchen, taking a seat on the floor.

Sanghyuk slowly walked into the kitchen, and everyone except Jaehwan stared at Taekwoon. Jaehwan went about and pulled out bowls and spoons so that they could eat cereal for breakfast. Taekwoon slowly laid down on the kitchen floor and curled up. Soon, he was lightly snoring, notifying everyone that he was asleep. Hakyeon stared at Taekwoon before walking over to him and poking his cheek. Taekwoon crinkled his nose and curled himself into a tighter ball.

"Cute..." Hakyeon walked back to everyone else and decided to speak for them. "Is he always like that?"

"Taekwoon? Yeah, he's always like that in the mornings. Usually just the mornings when you wake him up extremely early. It messes with his brain. Once he wakes up again he'll be normal." Jaehwan replied as he poured the cereal into the bowls.

"He's really talkative in the morning."

"I guess. He's not a morning person, but he talks a lot to inanimate objects. I think it's to coup with the fact that he's up earlier than he should be. I don't really know. It's just normal, so don't worry about him."

"Are you sure we shouldn't be worried?"

"I'm sure."

Jaehwan finally finished pouring everyone's milk and cereal and set up the table. Everyone sat down and began eating, watching as Jaehwan went to wake up Taekwoon. Jaehwan decided to poke Taekwoon continuously. He never could figure out an effective way to wake up Taekwoon immediately, so his methods changed all the time. When poking didn't work, Jaehwan began shaking him. When shaking didn't work, he began blowing in Taekwoon's ear. When that didn't work, Jaehwan grabbed Taekwoon's arm and dragged him along the kitchen floor, whining for him to wake up.

"Jaehwan, I will kill you if you don't let go of me right now." Taekwoon's sudden voice startled the other five boys, and Jaehwan let go of Taekwoon's arm immediately.

"Breakfast is ready...?" Jaehwan squeaked out before taking a seat at the table.

Breakfast was quiet except for the sound of chewing. Nobody was really awake enough to have a conversation. Taekwoon would also glare at anyone who opened their mouth to speak. They quickly learned that he should be left alone in the mornings.

Once all six boys had finished their cereal, they walked over to the Christmas tree that was standing at the corner of the living room. They were all filled with a sudden energy that had them laughing and arguing about who got to open their presents first. It was eventually decided that Jaehwan would be the first to open his presents since it was his house. Jaehwan happily scavenged out all the presents his friends got him from under the tree and stared at them, deciding which one he should open first.

"Open mine first." Everyone spoke simultaneously.

"Wait, actually, open mine last. I want you to open mine last." Hakyeon grabbed his present for Jaehwan from the pile and held it to his chest.

"Ok...?" Jaehwan crinkled his nose at Hakyeon in confusion, but let it go.

Jaehwan closed his eyes and grabbed the first gift that his fingers came in contact with. He opened his eyes and looked at the name on the wrapping. It was from Hongbin, and the boy was nervously biting his lip. Jaehwan carefully undid the the wrapping, and slowly opened the box that hid his gift. He smiled brightly when he saw what was inside.

"Chocolate. Cho. Co. Late. Chocolate. CHOCOLATE. CHOCOLATE." Jaehwan put down the box and tackled Hongbin to give him a hug.

Hongbin let out a relieved sigh and laughed as Jaehwan went on about how happy he was about the chocolate. Jaehwan happily went back to where he was sitting and turned to pick up his box of chocolate. Only to find out it wasn't there. Jaehwan looked immediately to Taekwoon, who was holding the box protectively.

"No." Taekwoon placed the box behind him and glared when Jaehwan began to whine. "Not this early. You're too hyper already. There's a reason your family doesn't keep chocolate in the house."

Jaehwan pouted when he saw the unrelenting glare Taekwoon gave him. The former turned back to his presents, grumbling about how he should be able to eat all the chocolate he wanted since it was Christmas. He closed his eyes again and chose another present. This time, it was the present from Wonshik. Jaehwan undid the wrapping carefully like Hongbin's, and his reaction was just as joyful.

"Hehe...Chopper..." Jaehwan stared happily at the Chopper plush toy before tackling Wonshik in a hug that was more suffocating than the one he gave Hongbin.

"Jaehwan...Jaehwan...can't breathe..." Wonshik took in as much oxygen as possible when Jaehwan let go of him. "I didn't really know what to get you, so I asked Taekwoon what you liked."

"Chopper makes Jaehwan happy." Jaehwan giggled.

"Uh-huh...Ok...Just go back to your presents."

Wonshik pushed Jaehwan back to his place and watched as the latter placed the toy on his head. Jaehwan opened the rest of the presents with glee, hugging each person as he thanked them. From Taekwoon he got a sketchbook and notebook. Jaehwan was glad that now he had something to draw and write song ideas into. He hadn't gotten anything from Sanghyuk since they had only met the day before, but Jaehwan decided that a hug would be a good present. Sanghyuk was reluctant since he was shy, but Jaehwan eventually got his hug. Hakyeon had gotten Jaehwan something that made him understand why his present was to be opened last. Hakyeon's present was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. It was a figure of Luffy's ship with smaller figures of his entire crew attached. Jaehwan stared at in complete awe and slowly turned to Hakyeon.

"This. Is. Beautiful." Jaehwan tackled Hakyeon and wrapped himself around the latter. "Thank you so much Hakyeon! I know I used to really really really hate you, but I really really really love you now. Thank you so so so so soooooo much! If you were a girl, I would totally kiss you right now."

"Um, please don't." Hakyeon slowly pushed Jaehwan away from him after Jaehwan finished talking. "I really don't want you kissing me duck-face. These lips are for my future wife, and my future wife only."

Jaehwan slowly backed away from Hakyeon and went back to his figures. Jaehwan looked around the room and pointed to Wonshik. Wonshik blinked slowly and stared at Jaehwan in confusion.

"It's your turn to unwrap the presents." Jaehwan gathered all of Wonshik's presents from under the tree and placed them in front of him.

Wonshik opened Jaehwan's first, and he saw that Jaehwan had gotten him a horse kigurumi. He stared at it before slowly putting it on. He and Jaehwan had a staring contest before breaking out into laughter.

"Looks like the kigurumi duo is now a trio!" Jaehwan and Wonshik started laughing even harder, and Taekwoon punched Jaehwan's arm. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Look at what you started. Please don't tell me you got everyone else an animal onsie."

"About that..."

"Jaehwan!"

"And next I'll open Hongbin's present!" Wonshik tried to keep Taekwoon from murdering Jaehwan, and his method worked. "Awesome! Hongbin got me a graffiti set!"

"My mom wouldn't let me get you a bunch of cans of spray paint, so I settled for the graffiti set. It's as close as you'll get to real graffiti for now." Hongbin smiled sheepishly before Wonshik threw a pillow at him.

"Don't act like it's not an awesome present. I love it!"

Wonshik decided on opening Hakyeon's gift next. Inside the box was a blue, horse neck pillow that was cute but creepy at the same time. Wonshik looked up to see Hakyeon smiling nervously at him. After staring for a bit, Wonshik gave Hakyeon a smile and put the neck pillow around his neck.

"I'm a horse wearing a horse. Giggle." Wonshik ended up getting a sleeping bag hurled at him.

"What kind of person just says giggle!? I wouldn't have minded, but you said it with such a straight face! I see how much you appreciate my present! You didn't even thank me. I was being thoughtful! You're always falling asleep on the bus, and you always look so uncomfortable. I thought a neck pillow would have helped, but if you don't like it, I'll just take it back and use it myself." Hakyeon moved to take the pillow from around Wonshik's neck, but the latter stopped him.

"Hey, I didn't say I didn't like it. I do, really. Thank's for the neck pillow, Hakyeon. I'm happy that you put a lot of thought into it."

"Well, as long as you don't hate it..."

Wonshik continued opening his presents and saw that Sanghyuk actually got him a present. He unwrapped it and saw a cap in the box. Wonshik began laughing joyfully before grabbing Sanghyuk in a headlock.

"Hey, thanks! Even though we only met yesterday, you still got me a present! Wow, that's actually kinda creepy." Wonshik slowly let go of Sanghyuk and stared at him suspiciously.

"Hakyeon told me to buy a cap for a guy named Wonshik..." Sanghyuk looked down and pulled at his bangs when he explained to Wonshik.

"What? Hakyeon, really? You could've just gotten me the cap too."

"W-what? No, that's not what happened! I just told Sanghyuk that I had a friend that really liked caps, and I happened to say his name was Wonshik. It wasn't...I didn't...I just..." Hakyeon shut himself up when he felt his face grow red.

"Either way, thank you Hakyeon. But if Sanghyuk actually bought me the cap by his own free will, thank you Sanghyuk."

Before any more madness could take place, Wonshik went back to his presents. Well, now it was just one present since he only had to open Taekwoon's. Wonshik was left staring at Taekwoon's present, jaw dropped. He turned his gift in his hands a few times to see if it was real, and he turned to Taekwoon in shock. He looked between his present and his friend and back again before holding it out to Taekwoon. The latter just shook his head and smiled.

"You wanted it." Taekwoon pushed Wonshik's hands away and made sure Wonshik understood that the present was for him.

Taekwoon had given Wonshik his Trey Songz album. But it wasn't just any Trey Songz album. It was Taekwoon's favorite Trey Songz album. They were at Taekwoon's house, and Wonshik had seen the album on the former's dresser. He had just absentmindedly said he wouldn've liked to have one of Trey Songz's albums, but he didn't think anybody had heard him. He didn't think that Taekwoon would've remembered that he said it.

"Are you sure...?" Wonshik extended the album toward Taekwoon again.

"Yours." Taekwoon spoke the final word, and Wonshik had no choice but to accept.

"Thank you."

In the end, Jaehwan had gotten everybody a kigurumi. Everybody except for Sanghyuk, but he promised to get Sanghyuk one too. Hakyeon got a squirrel and Hongbin got a puppy. Wonshik got Hakyeon a set of assorted lip balms, and he got Hongbin a camera. It wasn't an expensive camera, but Hongbin was thrilled about it nonetheless. Taekwoon had given Hakyeon a hug and Hongbin a miniture replica of the Eiffel Tower. Sanhyuk gave Hakyeon coupons that said 'One Free Favor' on them, and that got him a light tap to the face. Hakyeon forgot Hongbin's gift, and Hongbin forgot Hakyeon's gift.

"Well, I see how much I mean to you." Both spoke simultaneously and laughed as they hugged each other. "I forgive you."

It was finally Taekwoon's turn to open his presents, and he did so quietly. Hongbin got him a soccer ball, Hakyeon got him an iTunes gift card, and Wonshik got him a set of Studio Ghibli movies. Jaehwan was excited to see Taekwoon's reaction to his present for him, but his excitement quickly disappeared when he realized something wasn't right. Jaehwan took the box from Taekwoon and began tearing up when he saw what was inside.

Jaehwan's present for Taekwoon was lying in ruins at the bottom of the box. It was torn up, and Jaehwan could only assume that one of his brothers had done the damage. Jaehwan's brothers never liked Taekwoon, so it made sense that they would destroy his present from Jaehwan. It upset Jaehwan so much since he had worked so hard on it. Without realizing it, Jaehwan began crying in front of everyone. The five other boys were startled, but not as much as Taekwoon. He figure Jaehwan would have been upset, but enough to cry? That wasn't the only thing that was shocking, though. After six years of knowing each other, after six years of making that one promise, Jaehwan broke it. Jaehwan broke his promise.

Taekwoon shouldn't have been upset. He shouldn't have been upset because their was no good reason to be. However, he felt betrayed. After six years of keeping his promise, Jaehwan broke it over something insignificant. Taekwoon didn't care about the broken present. He was glad that Jaehwan had even bothered to get him one. Taekwoon felt hurt and betrayed, and he could do nothing but stare at Jaehwan with those same emotions in his eyes.

This was another reason to add onto Taekwoon's list of why he doesn't like Christmas.

 

 

A/N: Here's 5/5, a day late. Yeah, I'm just gonna leave it on that note. All of you are probably mad, right? Yeah, this wasn't supposed to happen...I typed, and this happened. Geez, my own mind is against me...Well, I'll find a way for the plot to go the way I originally wanted it to even with this unexpected turn of events. *hides from possibly angry readers* bye...