Confusion

Pinky-Promises

The night was cold, and Taekwoon didn't have much to protect himself from the wind that was slowly picking up. It had probably been around fifteen minutes since he had walked away from the party. Since he had walked away from Jaehwan. Taekwoon's emotions were knotting with each other, and he couldn't tell what he felt. He at least knew that he was confused, but that didn't really help him. It was just reassuring that he didn't completely lose himself from that kiss.

The more Taekwoon tried to think about it, the more he tried to fully understand what had happened, the more confused he got. He let out a sigh, and watched as a few leaves danced away from him, being carried by the wind. He didn't know where he was going. His feet were just carrying him wherever they pleased. Taekwoon eventually stopped walking, sitting on the curb by a stop sign.

Taekwoon sat in silence for a moment before laughing. He couldn't help it. The entire situation was so strange to him, and how it all happened seemed so stupid. Jaehwan could have refused to do the dare. Taekwoon could have refused to take part. Instead, he just let it all happen. He just let his best friend lean in, closer and closer, before planting his lips on his own. He could have left the circle when the bottle stopped, pointing at him. He could have been his normal, unwilling self, and turned the bottle so that it was pointing at someone else.

Walking away was just as bad as doing nothing to stop it. He could have sat there, acting like he didn't care. He could have sat there, acting like it didn't matter. He could have glared at Jaehwan, showing that he didn't want something like that happening again. He could have even showed a different side to himself, laughing it off as if it was the most ridiculous thing in the world. Then again, laughing when he was always stoic would have seemed suspicious.

Taekwoon acted like a coward. He walked away, and he knew that someone would bring it up at school on Monday. He walked away from something that anyone else would have laughed off. He walked away when he could have faced what was to come next. Taekwoon felt disappointed in himself.

"What the hell." Taekwoon ran a hand over his face and groaned. "What's wrong with me?"

Thinking about it again, Taekwoon realized that he was terrified. He wasn't terrified about what his peers would do on Monday, but he was terrified of himself. He was terrified of his own emotions. Taekwoon wasn't disgusted. Taekwoon was incredibly confused, but not disgusted. He liked it, and that's what terrified him. The thing that was even more terrifying was that Taekwoon wondered what would have happened if he had intensified the kiss. He wanted to intensify the kiss, and Taekwoon was terrified by that thought.

Taekwoon had let his best friend kiss him, and he liked it. Not only was it his best friend, but it was Jaehwan, a male. Taekwoon had nothing against a boy liking another boy, but he definitely had something against himself liking another boy. But he didn't have to worry. He didn't like Jaehwan. At least, he hoped that he didn't. Not that way.

Maybe Taekwoon just enjoyed it because it was his first kiss, as embarrassing as that may seem. Maybe he just enjoyed it in the heat of the moment. Maybe he just enjoyed it because he was finally given the opportunity to do something that he never thought he'd do. Taekwoon preferred this train of thought, so he decided to stick with it.

"Next time I see him, everything will be normal. We'll act like nothing happened. We'll never bring it up again." Taekwoon let out a sigh before standing up, deciding to walk home. "I'm never going to a party again."

 

Jaehwan was screaming into a pillow. After the group had dispersed, he had gone to find an empty room, hoping to be left alone with nothing but his thoughts. Lucky for him, he found an empty room, and he didn't hesitate to throw himself on the bed, screaming his heart out. After screaming for a good two minutes, he rolled onto his back, groaning.

"Something must be seriously wrong with me." Jaehwan threw his arms over his face and let out and over exaggerated sigh.

"Glad to know you finally realized it. There's always been something seriously wrong with you." Jaehwan looked up to see Jinsu in the doorway, arms crossed.

"What are you doing here?"

"This is my room, idiot."

Jaehwan noticed that there was a difference between when Jinsu called him an idiot and when Taekwoon called him an idiot. Taekwoon never sounded like he meant it, and he always said it in a concerned, affectionate tone of voice. Jinsu said it like she wanted him to drop dead. Her tone of voice was always cold when she said it. Jaehwan didn't understand why he still had a small crush on her.

"Oh, sorry. I'll leave." Jaehwan stood up, but Jinsu pushed him so that he was sitting again.

"No, I want to talk." Jinsu smirked. "I always knew that there was something off about you, but now I know exactly what it is."

"What are you talking about?"

"Remember when you told me that you liked me in fifth grade, and I laughed in your face?"

"Who doesn't remember that. It was right before class started, so everyone knows what happened." Jaehwan looked down, feeling his cheeks burn.

"Yeah, well, I'm really glad I did that."

"Why?" Jaehwan felt his chest tighten slightly.

"Because, Jaehwan," Jinsu said his name with distaste. "you're a ."

Jaehwan's head snapped up at the term, eyes widening. Jinsu was looking at him with laughter in her eyes. She had uncrossed her arms, and her hands were know on her hips. Her expression was mocking.

"I'm no-" Jaehwan stopped when Jinsu sneered.

"Don't even try denying it. If you weren't one, you wouldn't have kissed Taekwoon."

"It was a dare! You guys would have made me do it even if I had said no!"

"But that's the thing, Jaehwan! You didn't! You didn't say no!"

"I-"

"Poor Taekwoon must be disgusted with you right now. Honestly, he tried stopping it. He said it was stupid. Did you hear me, Jaehwan? He said that kissing you was stupid."

"That's no-"

"He's never going to talk to you again. Did you see his face when he walked away? He was absolutely disgusted. You may have been his best friend, but he'll never forgive you. Taekwoon's straight, and I can tell that he's never going to forgive a like you."

Jaehwan was shocked into silence. He wasn't expecting this. He didn't know that Jinsu was so horrible. Jaehwan had a crush on the Jinsu he knew. He had a crush on the sweet girl that he saw in the hallways. Yes, he had heard her say a hurtful thing or two, but he never would have thought such an ugly word would pass between her lips.

Jaehwan looked at Jinsu again, and for the first time, he thought she was ugly. The way she was acting was ugly, and Jaehwan saw that in her physical appearance. He definitely didn't know what he saw in her in these past nine years. He didn't know why he so desperately clung to the hope that she would return his feelings. Jaehwan wanted to get as far away from her as possible.

"You're horrible." Jaehwan's voice came out in a choked whisper.

"You're going to have to do better than that to make me feel insulted, ." Jinsu sneered again. "Get out of my room. Actually, get the out of my house."

Jaehwan stood up and staggered out of the room, hearing the door slam behind him. The emotional turmoil he was feeling before disappeared, and now he just felt hurt. The girl he had liked for nine years just showed him how ugly she really is, and his best friend walked away from him without a single word. Jaehwan felt lost, and he absent-mindedly walked out of the house.

Jaehwan began walking home, and he wondered what he was going to do now. Taekwoon probably did hate him, and it was Jaehwan's fault. Jaehwan should have said no. He should have said something, anything. Instead, he just leaned forward and kissed his best friend. Jaehwan felt so stupid for not trying to get out of the dare. Everyone would have seen him as a wimp, but that would have been better than his best friend hating him for the rest of their lives.

As Jaehwan walked, he immersed himself deeper into his thoughts. As he mentally yelled at himself, he felt tears gathering at the corners of his eyes. Jaehwan paused in his steps to will the tears away. He wasn't going to cry. In his mind, he had started over with that pinky-promise he made to Taekwoon. Taekwoon said it was okay for him to cry now, but Jaehwan wasn't going to. He still felt guilty about what happened five years ago.

He resumed walking, and he walked past Taekwoon's house. He stopped, his heel, and walked so that he was directly in front of it. Jaehwan noticed the light was on in Taekwoon's room, and he wanted to talk to him. He wanted to apologize for doing nothing to stop the dare, and he wanted to tell Taekwoon about what had happened with Jinsu. Jaehwan wanted comfort, but he wasn't so sure that it was going to be given to him.

Jaehwan realized a little too late that he had already walked to the front door and rang the doorbell. His body was so used to walking up and ringing the doorbell right when he saw Taekwoon's house. It was almost as if he couldn't stop himself from doing it. Jaehwan listened as footsteps pattered down the stairs and to the door, and he stared blankly at the person who opened it.

"What are you doing here?" Taekwoon's question came out harsh, but it wasn't unwelcoming.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. I was headed home, but I rang the doorbell out of habit. I'll go." Jaehwan lowered his head and turned to walk away, but Taekwoon grabbed his elbow.

"What happened?"

"What do you mean? Nothing happened."

"Your eyes... You look like you've been crying."

"I'm not supposed to cry, remember?" Jaehwan managed a small smile, but the corners of his lips quickly turned back down. "Ok, I almost cried."

"Why?"

"It's nothing."

"Jaehwan."

Jaehwan remained silent, and Taekwoon sighed. For once, he didn't know what to do. Jaehwan had never tried keeping things from him. If Taekwoon asked, he would tell him every detail about everything. Jaehwan always trusted him, even if neither of them could do anything to change a situation. Taekwoon wanted to know why Jaehwan was upset. He wanted to help him. He couldn't do that if Jaehwan didn't tell him anything.

Taekwoon let his hand slip from Jaehwan's elbow to his hand, and he felt Jaehwan tense. He still remained silent, and Taekwoon began to feel extremely worried. Taekwoon gently tugged at Jaehwan's hand, and the latter reluctantly walked in, closing the door behind him. He allowed himself to be led up the stairs and into Taekwoon's room.

Instead of letting Jaehwan's hand go, Taekwoon held on tighter and pulled his friend into a hug. The position was slightly awkward, as was everything else that happened between them that night, but Taekwoon didn't let go. Jaehwan held still, but he eventually raised his free arm to hug Taekwoon back. He stuck his face onto Taekwoon's shoulder, and he let out a shaky breath.

"Jaehwan, please talk to me." Taekwoon sounded like he was pleading, and in a way, he was.

"I'm sorry." Jaehwan whispered before peeling himself away and taking a deep breath. He was going to tell Taekwoon what happened, but he wasn't sure how either of them would act as he retold everything that Jinsu said. "It was just a horrible night."

 

A/N: I just defiled this story with foul words. You guys have no idea how uncomfortable it made me to type f*ggot. Well, maybe you do. It's just a really foul word. I'm not going to lie. I do cuss, but I really don't like that word. I have a few homoual and biual friends, so hearing that words really upsets me.

Since they're in high school, the cussing has to happen every once in a while. It's really almost impossible to go without hearing multiple, every day, in high school.

Well, I hope you guys liked the chapter. Jinsu is truly horrible. I don't like her at all.