Awkward

Pinky-Promises

A/N: 600 Days With VIXX <3

 

Jaehwan and Taekwoon were sitting across from each other, eating breakfast silently. It was the day after the party, and Jaehwan had slept over after telling Taekwoon what had happened between him and Jinsu. It didn't take long for Taekwoon to get angry, and Jaehwan had to stop him from running back to Jinsu's house, planning on murdering the girl. Jaehwan had been close to tears when he was explaining, but he held them in. Seeing Jaehwan do that didn't help Taekwoon's anger. Taekwoon didn't think he'd be able to calm down until Jinsu was in tears or in the hospital.

After waking up, they had greeted each other with the usual 'good morning', but they were quickly enveloped in an awkward silence. Jaehwan had been so focused on what Jinsu told him, and he had been so intent on telling Taekwoon what had happened, that he had pushed the dare to the back of his mind. Taekwoon had been so worried when he saw Jaehwan so upset, and he had been trying so hard not to find and harm Jinsu, that he had pushed the dare to the back of his mind as well.

They had both remembered the kiss and the emotional turmoil that came with it, and they didn't know how to act. They knew that they should have been acting normal with each other. Taekwoon had told himself the night before that he would. It was just so awkward, and they couldn't help it. The atmosphere was tense between them, and their movements were stiff. They had even gotten strange looks from Taekwoon's sisters when they walked in to get breakfast.

"Did you two have a fight?" Taekwoon's oldest sister was the only one that bothered to question them. The pair remained quiet for a second, but Jaehwan answered.

"No..." Jaehwan glanced at Taekwoon, and immediately looked back to his bowl of cereal.

"Uh-huh. What's with all the tension, then?"

"We're just...kind of tired from the party." Jaehwan felt Taekwoon's gaze on him before it was diverted elsewhere. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Alright, whatever you say." Taekwoon's sister walked out of the kitchen, and Jaehwan felt the awkward tension magnify.

With the absence of a distraction, the pair was left with nothing but the sound of their own breathing and the slight clink of when their spoons hit the sides of their bowls. There was a clatter, and Jaehwan glanced up to see Taekwoon picking up his fallen spoon from the floor. He watched as his friend put the spoon in the sink, retrieving a clean one from one of the drawers. Jaehwan moved his gaze back to his cereal when Taekwoon sat back down.

The awkward atmosphere was suffocating, and neither knew what to do about it. Jaehwan quickly stuffed the rest of his cereal down his throat and stood up, placing the bowl and spoon into the sink. He turned to find Taekwoon staring at him, and he coughed. Taekwoon turned his head to stare at the wall in front of him. Jaehwan cleared his throat slightly.

"I'm gonna...go home now..." He slowly shuffled out of the kitchen, and he heard the squeak of the chair against the floor, signaling that Taekwoon had gotten up.

"So soon?" Taekwoon walked behind Jaehwan, whispering.

"Yeah, uh, I told my mom that...I told her I'd clean my room today."

"Oh, ok. See you later." Taekwoon looked up when they reached the door.

"Yeah, bye..."

Taekwoon closed the door and watched Jaehwan from the window. He watched as his friend ran a hand through his hair, looking like he was sighing. He stayed at the window even after Jaehwan disappeared from his sight. Taekwoon closed his eyes and took a deep breath. The atmosphere around him was still thick, despite Jaehwan's absence. He let out the breath slowly, and walked back to the kitchen.

Jaehwan's room was always clean.

 

Hakyeon was playing a video game with his younger brother when his phone rang. He took a glance at the caller ID and answered without a second thought. His younger brother complained slightly, but Hakyeon held a finger to his lips, telling him to be quiet. He quickly whispered, "Go play with Noona." before turning his full attention to the caller, who was spouting nonsense on the other end.

"Hey, Jaehwan, slow down." Hakyeon heard Jaehwan stop and take a deep breath. "Ok, now one thing at a time, please."

"I don't know what to do. It's so awkward and uncomfortable and weird, and he's being all confusing. I know that I should be acting like nothing happened, but it's so awkward, and I don't know what to do, and I'm all confused, and I also feel all guilty because it's all my fault that we're all awkward like this. I even lied to him to get away from the awkward, and I'm pretty sure he knew I was lying. Also, I'm really really really upset because it turns out that Jinsu is really horrible and mean and not nice like I thought she was. She said such horrible things last night after that dare, and oh my cuteness that dare ruined everything, That dare is the reason all of this happened. I should have said no and not did the dare. I shouldn't have done anything. But then again I did nothing, and that's the reason why we're so awkward, and we can't be awkward because we're best friends, and I need to tell him everything, but I can't now. What do I do? I really don't know what to do. It's all my fault, but it's also all that girl's fault, but it's mostly my fault, and I don't know what to do or what's wrong with me. Is there something wrong with me? I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me. But the things Jinsu said were so horrible. She really hurt my feelings and broke my heart more than she already did back in the fifth grade, and I don't know what to do. What do I do!?" Jaehwan finally stopped, and he was panting.

"Jaehwan, I hope that you're aware that I only caught like half of that."

"Hakyeon! This is serious! I'm in the middle of a crisis right now!"

"I understand that. I'll be over in about ten minutes. Don't stress yourself out."

"Too late. It's too late. I'm stressed out, and I'm freaking out, and I-" Jaehwan's words were lost when Hakyeon promptly hung up on him, pulling on his jacket right after he did so.

"I'm going over to Jaehwan's house! I'll call if I'm going to be out late!" Hakyeon walked out of his house once he got a reply.

 

Jaehwan was pacing back and forth while Hakyeon watched him. They were in Jaehwan's bedroom, and Hakyeon was still trying to get over the shock that came with what Jinsu called Jaehwan. Hakyeon didn't think she was capable of being so mean. She was straightforward, but Hakyeon didn't think she was so ugly in personality. To call Jaehwan something like that was unacceptable.

"But I'm kind of over that. I'm more worried about my situation with Taekwoon. It was so awkward this morning at breakfast. I couldn't eat my cereal like a normal person! It was just do tense and awkward and I don't know what to do!" Jaehwan threw his arms up in frustration. "What do I do!?"

"You could talk it out with him?" Hakyeon flinched when Jaehwan looked him in the eye.

"No. Not now, not ever. No." Jaehwan went back to pacing before halting in his steps. He flung himself on his bed and screamed into his pillow. He's been doing that a lot lately. Jaehwan raised his head and pouted. "We can't just sit and talk about how we kissed each other. Imagine how much more awkward that would be."

"I'd rather not." The silence settled back between them, and Hakyeon fell onto his back on the bed. "Look, duck-face, the only thing I can think of for you to do is act like nothing ever happened. Don't talk about it, don't bring it up, and don't think about it."

"It can't be that easy."

"It won't be, but it's better than you and him never talking again."

"Yeah, you're right." Jaehwan sighed. "I'll act normal tomorrow at school."

 

It was Monday morning, and Jaehwan was giving himself a prep-talk in front of the bathroom mirror. He was going to be prepared for when he saw Taekwoon. He would act completely normal. He would act like there never even was a party on Saturday. No matter what was going to happen that day, he would act like the annoyingly outgoing friend that he's always been.

Once Jaehwan was done getting ready, he quickly ate his breakfast and was out the door. Well, he went as far out the door as he could with a body in the way. He looked up to see Taekwoon, blank-faced as always. Jaehwan slightly cleared his throat before smiling widely. The smile felt incredibly forced, and he was sure it looked like it.

"Good morning Taekwoon! What a surprise! We usually meet up at the bus stop, so what are you doing here?" Jaehwan felt his cheeks strain, so he let the corners of his lip lower slightly.

"You don't want me here?" Taekwoon averted his eyes slightly when he spoke.

"No! It's not like that! It's just, your house is on the way to the bus stop, so you're making yourself walk more than you have to! I'm worried, that's all!" Jaehwan panicked, but he wasn't exactly lying. Taekwoon walked over to his house only for him to walk right back to his to get to the bus stop.

"Exercise is good."

"Oh, yeah, it is."

The two just stared around each other in silence, not knowing how to continue the conversations. Before the silence could get to the point of unbearable awkward, Jaehwan grabbed Taekwoon's wrist and dragged him to the bus stop. His excuse was that they would be late if they didn't get walking right at that moment.

The bus ride was mostly Jaehwan making really bad jokes to keep the silence away, and Taekwoon did smile every once in a while because of how hard Jaehwan was trying. Taekwoon had told himself he would act normal with Jaehwan again, but Jaehwan seemed to be doing more of the work. Taekwoon felt guilty, but he was quiet normally, so he was doing what he said he'd do. He was trying his best to keep their friendship from cracking right down the middle because of one meaningless kiss.

After what seemed like an eternity, the bus stopped, and all the students stepped off to walk the rest of the way to the school. Taekwoon and Jaehwan were cheerfully greeted by the rest of the group at the front gate, and Jaehwan looked at Hakyeon questioningly. Hakyeon shook his head slightly, and Jaehwan realized that no one else knew what happened at the party. Only the three of them knew, and that's because they were the ones playing. Jaehwan hoped none of the other students would talk about it too much.

As the six boys walked to the doors, three of them laughing, three of them exchanging nervous glances, they were approached by a small crowd of students. Hakyeon, Taekwoon, and Jaehwan recognized them to be the people they played truth or dare with, and their hearts dropped a little in their chests. The entire group, led by Jinsu, sneered at them before walking right past. As they walked past, the six boys heard whispers from them, and what they were saying weren't very nice.

Wonshik, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk were confused about why that was happening, but Jaehwan, Taekwoon, and Hakyeon knew exactly why. They looked away from the group and lowered their heads. It was going to be a long day, and Hakyeon pitied his two friends that were going to suffer the most.

 

A/N: Good Lord that was a horrible chapter. I'm tired, I'm hungry, and my mind is just out of it. But I had to update. I had to do it to celebrate 600 Days With VIXX.

I'm sorry ;~;