THE GLANCE STEALER

JUST KEO [LEO and KEN] - ONE-SHOTS

THE GLANCE STEALER

 KEO

ROMANCE

ONE-SHOT

PG-13

 

 

It was a windy spring day when I met you. I walked through a narrow pathway and made a stop soon after I've reached the end of the skinny aisle. My fingers then graced softly on an old stuffy bookshelf case before the library could present sets of tables and chairs for book lovers to enjoy their hobbies in silence. My fingertips then crept to one book to another until my eyes found what I'm looking for. It wasn't some old dusty and smelly book for a science report but, my eyes landed onto you.

 

There is a chocolate brown table sitting next to an open window which the pale breeze of spring air coming through its opening. That wind then softly a bush of dark soft locks of a pale white male wearing a knitted black sweater underneath a white wife beater; skinny, same colored cotton pants and, a set of charcoal sneakers hugging his feet.

 

His legs were crossed together and, one of his feet is hanging in the air sometimes swaying at the same time as his hair sways along with the wind. His hands were busy holding a thick red hard-bound book; fingers busy flipping the pages once it was scanned and read by the same, busy, pair of eyes.

 

His face was flawlessly giving a poker, serious and, unreadable face but, fortunately, I can make something out of him. There is one word that escaped in my mouth the moment I saw you sitting there.

 

Perfect.

 

And I think I can say more as I watched you while I stayed frozen on my spot. The way the wind blows your hair, or the way your foot sways or even, the way you shine when the orangey light of the sun slipped in through the window; you are perfect, cool and amazingly handsome. There is no doubt.

 

When I heard a cough, it’s as if I've just woken up from my greatest dream. I got startled and move away because there was a person standing behind me, waiting for me to decide which book I'm going to pick up. Without scanning the shelf, I've picked up a book that doesn't relate on anything that I feel right now but a long journey to understanding math.

 

I managed to settle to a long rectangular table in the center, carefully dragging the chair out as to not make any noise and attention. I preferred sitting at the edge of the table facing the west and seated across me is a man wearing very thick pair of glasses all slumped down to his little corner of book haven.

 

I've sat there so that I can be able to watch you even you're three tables (to my right) far from mine and on the edge. I think no one will suspect me stealing glances over you when I pulled my head up and accidentally, my eyes will catch you.

 

It was a perfect plan.

 

 

The very next day, I came to the library panting and coughing from running but I was happy because I saw you again sitting on the same spot the same time I first saw you.

 

The next day and the days that came, I did the same routine over and over. I've always come to the library at the exact hours I always expect you to be where you at. And, even though sometimes I need to cut classes, it's fine. I've always hated math.

 

I've been doing the same routine for over a month now and there are times that I feel like I'm dying from being out of breath but, it was always and will always be worth running for whenever I see you, still sitting before the same chocolate brown table with an open window and an open book in your delicate pair of hands.

 

 

 

Then there came a day, I didn't know if today was for Books' day because of how many that came and started owning each chairs in the library. Some were already sitting on top of the tables and on the carpeted floors and the librarian couldn't control it anymore since she's one soul over fifty or even a hundred packed in one library. But there is one seat left untaken. I don't know if I can call myself lucky today but also unfortunate. Lucky, because the seat left untaken was beside you yet unfortunate as I didn't prepare my heart for this day to come this soon.

 

 

With a shaken heart and wobbly legs, I made through without falling into pieces to the table. With a sweating and shaky hands holding the book firmly and with a lump throat but still could speak, I made my first move for a hopeful conversation with a stutter.

 

 

"U-um... I-I... u-uh--"

 

"You can seat here."

 

 

Thankfully, I was cut off because I can't imagine being more embarrassed than I already was just talking to you. Though, my heart took a leap after hearing your voice for the very first time. It was smooth and soothing. I can't believe that even your voice is lovely.

 

 

But since I came here to... um...*cough* read a-- before I finally settle my in the chair, hanging in the middle, I flipped the cover book to see its title then my eyes bulged largely reading the book's name -- A Stalker's Confession by some unknown writer.

 

 

 

I embarrassingly-- with a flushed face-- took a seat beside you who chose to keep yourself busy with your books once again. With still a red face, I cleared my throat in a low volume then start opening the book covering the book's title in caution.

 

 

 

 

 

30 minutes have passed but I can't seem to flip the next page to chapter two.

 

 

 

 

 

My head was spinning, I feel like I'm choking down the words that didn't even entered my brain. I couldn't understand anything and hear nothing aside from my heart that couldn't stop pounding.

 

Is this the feeling of being beside you? I feel like you're a vampire and yet you didn't drink my blood but you seem to have out everything of me making me helpless and soulless in and out.

 

 

Before I could die from reading a book that I couldn't understand, my eyes shifted to the five-inch space between me and you. A flash of amazement came to me as I couldn't believe that the huge amount of space between us before was now reduced to inches.

 

I felt a loud thump of my heart inside my ribcage after feeling you shifted beside me. I couldn't control my emotions but at least I wasn't choking in words from the book anymore.

 

 

My eyes ever so slowly move from the open book in my hand that was finally left forgotten to reaching the end of the five-inch space and that is your arm, resting on top of the table.

 

Seeing your skin glows from up close is a wonderful experience but the most incredible is just simply by sitting beside you. I couldn’t contain my heart. It might explode anytime soon.

 

 

I started to feel the butterflies dancing inside my stomach and my hairs on my body rising up from its tingling sensation. Please, stop me now. My eyes, it might not stay on staring at your glittering arm any longer.

 

 

Without a blink to pass, my eyes roamed its way to your hands, onto the open book and it traveled to your arms until it found your neck and it stayed for a moment to witness your Adam’s apple going up and down in the process. Then, it began exploring again and finally, my eyes landed to your god damn face.

 

 

I could stare it for hours and for god knows how long He can make me to blink my eyes and close it shut.

 

 

Okay. I'm in love and I'm desperately in love with this handsome son of god sitting beside me. I don't know how I ended up admitting it but maybe I felt it grow in me on the very first day. This makes me uneasy analyzing my feelings beside him but I'm thankful that I've finally have my answers whenever I feel the butterflies in my stomach or when my heart suddenly beats irregularly whenever you shifted your position or softly scratching your brow.

 

 

I'm glad that even though I'm not good in reading, I've found an interesting book to keep (if god will agree that I can and hopefully I will someday) and to watch over a book of you but didn't have a chance to open and read yet.

 

 

I wish I could be able to, you know. But, you still don't know me and the only thing that we could pass from being strangers is if I can read yours and you will read mine.

 

 

So, can I do that? Can I read yours?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A snap woke me up from my thoughts. The next moment, I saw a book shove in front of me and your hand was holding it.

 

Oh, crap! Did he hear my thoughts?

 

 

“Mostly,”

 

 

I gasped. ! Everything?

 

 

“You want to read this, don’t you?”

 

 

 

I blinked as my eyes scan the book in front of me. It was the book you were currently reading (but it seemed that you were already done with it) and bravely shift my gaze at you then as if burned with your strong gaze, I looked down in despair.

 

I just can’t, okay? I might turn blind if I stare too long. My face will turn flush and I might puke blood. Can’t let that happen today. I might slice my heart with a knife if that embarrassing moment happens.

 

 

“Are you sick? You look like you’re dying.”

 

 

You spoke to me once again and even though I felt happy with that, my brain starts malfunctioning right now and can’t process other than helping my heart to beat out blood.

 

 

“Hey, you’re hot.”

 

 

You said and I froze on the spot when I felt your palm pressed against my sweaty forehead. Soon, I felt intoxicated with love and I finally erupted which made my body shuts down.

 

 

 

 

The next moment was blurry and hazy. I heard someone talking to someone else. I can’t understand most of their conversation but I clearly heard my name being spoken then someone by the name of a lion then my senses shuts off.

 

When it works again but still having some problems seeing and hearing, I heard inaudible voices and a blurry silhouette covered in dark (I don’t know. Maybe it’s a dress) but thankfully my sense of touch can still feel. My body can feel the strong arms wrapped around mine and the warmth it’s giving.

 

 

It felt heaven, actually. Wait. Is this heaven already? Am I already in heaven?

 

 

Did I die for eating too much love… already?

 

 

I heard an inaudible sound then I felt I’m lightly shaking but still wasn’t enough to cause me to panic from an earthquake.

 

 

 

My senses then switched off for the second time.

 

 

 

When I open my eyes, I felt relieved that I can finally see straight as the florescent light on the ceiling doesn’t seem to blur in my eyes anymore. I felt the mattress comforting my body and the warm blanket enveloping me. And, I heard indistinctive voices so I followed where the voices were coming from and tilted my head only to get shocked to see someone other than the nurse who was talking to her co-employee on her table.

 

 

 

There was a man occupying the seat behind the empty bed on his back. He was sitting with his legs crossed. His hands were holding an open book and his eyes were busy reading it.

 

 

My brain didn’t have to analyze and remember who the man is. It was you.

 

 

My stomach started flipping everywhere once again. My heart stopped pumping blood inside my lungs and I knew I’m already dead. My hand touched my left and felt my troubled heart aching and crying inside of me.

 

 

 

 

 

A loud snapped from a book made my eyes blink and my body jolted. My eyes were still fixated in you so I had witness what you did next.

 

You put the book on top of the side table then your left elbow landed on the armchair so that you can rest your head onto your knuckle.

 

Your eyes gazed at me and I watched how your lips stretched to give a smirk then went back to their natural position.

 

“I’ve never read such book before. I’m starting to get interested.” You said then smiled. Right then and there, I was swooned—no—I will always get swoon by you.

 

 

“Tell me, what genre do you like to read most?” You asked and it made my heart stops from beating (for the second time).

 

 

“R-ro-romance?” I stuttered and you chuckled which was the first time I’m hearing and seeing it.

 

 

You’re like a pixie dust. You’re forever be glowing in my eyes.

 

 

“Mine is mystery. I like to have some thrill from reading.” You said.

 

 

Honestly, why am I talking to you? Or rather, why are you talking to me? I’m so happy that I could die from too many heart attacks but, is this really supposed to happen? Like, I’ve never dreamed of us having this kind of conversation before. Actually, I’m too shy to dream about you talking to me since I don’t know your voice until hours ago—

 

—okay, fine. I dreamed about you countless of times. But, I find it hard to believe that we’re having this kind of moment even though we started talking about books rather than asking me about my overflowing feelings for you.

 

 

“Do you like mysteries as well besides romance?”

 

I found myself nodding to you. It’s as if I’m hypnotized (well, I already am. One month ago and still is.).

 

You smiled. “Are you feeling okay now?”

 

My head bobbed up and down again.

 

“I’m glad you are. Then, I can go now.”

 

My mouth gaped open wide when you stood up from your seat. My body automatically moved on its own to sit on the bed, ready to stop you from leaving.

 

As if you’re an alien who came from a distant star and you can hear my thoughts. You stopped from moving and stand there beside my bed.

 

 

My eyes landed on the metal strap of your belt, too embarrassed to lift my red face to meet yours.

 

 

“I’ll see you in the library tomorrow.”

 

 

My eyes went large after hearing that. My brain automatically recorded your voice and repeated it over and over inside my head.

 

 

Then, you walked away after that. At the same time the door closes, I plopped my upper body down the bed again, my hand still holding my aching chest.

 

 

Everything, still, is surreal. I still can’t believe it yet.

 

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow. That’s what he said. He’ll see me tomorrow…” I chanted repeatedly.

 

 

I think, I’m already dead and I’m in heaven right now.

 

 

I shut my eyes close with a smile on my face.

 

 

I’m happy that I’m dead. And, I died in peace.

 

 

 

So much in peace…