TOUCH OF AN ANGEL

JUST KEO [LEO and KEN] - ONE-SHOTS

KEO

ROMANCE, SUPERNATURAL

PG-13

a/n: this was inspired by Hotarubi no mori e. If you haven't watch it, you can search it in youtube. enjoy~

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

300 years ago, in the midst of war, a cute little baby was born. But, since his mother and father cannot afford to keep him at the moment they abandoned him in the forest to keep him safe and promised to return as soon as the battle was over. But unfortunately, they never kept that very promise.

 

The boy wrapped around in a warm blanket and tucked inside a basket cried and cried until he was so hungry and tired to do so. Fortunately someone—or most probably something—aid him and put a glowing mask on top of his face to cover it up that made  the baby stopped from crying. It came from a floating man wearing a ceramic mask.

 

The boy then smiled and laughed as soon as the floating man showed him funny faces. The boy’s laughter echoed inside the hallow forest that became lively and vibrant upon the appearances of different forms of floating men, women with their umbrellas and animals.

 

They all gathered around the boy who continued to laugh and made everybody put a smile on their faces.

 

“What should we do about him, N-sama?” one of the floating men asked.

 

N, who is the god of the forest plastered a smile on his face and reached for the boy to take into his arms and wiped away some sweat that accumulated when the boy cried. His glowing body sways to cradle the boy in his arms. His smile grew wide when the boy loved the comfort he was giving him.

 

“We’ll keep him here. He’ll live forever with us. He’ll stay and will not age anymore after reaching the age of twelve. Until someone, a human, who will touch him he shall disappear and his eternity will finally end.”

 

N lift the boy up and the boy wriggled his small cute little legs in joy that also showed in his face.

 

“He shall be named Leo from a lion whose roar will bring peace to this forest.”

 

The boy chuckled in gladness and from then on, he became part of their family.

 

 

 

 

 

Present time, a kid of five panted, already tired and hungry by walking in circles as he got lost in the forest after he sneaked out of their new house to explore the new place they will live outside the city. He never gone into a forest before since there wasn’t any in the city but mini parks that has dead end of brick walls and cemented houses surrounding it. He wanted a vast scale of forest like this one but unfortunately for him, it was too late to change his perception.

 

After tripping for almost every single time on a protruding root, he came to a halt and slumped down on his knees and cry as hard as he can because not only his foot hurts but also he’s getting scared of not going out alive anymore.

 

He kept wailing and wailing until he heard a ‘pst’. He lifted up his head and looked around but found nothing, or more particularly, no one. He’s starting to get scared. He lifted up his body from his tired wobbly legs to stand up and pressed his back against the roughness of the tree and then, hugged it with his arms hugging it from the back in panic.

 

“Pst,”

 

He heard another. It made him more scared than he already is. He gulped as he started to sweat coldly and not to mention, the sun was about to set any time soon now and it will be dark.

 

“Are you… lost?”

 

A soft pale voice said that brought shivers down his hair and spine.

 

“You… are definitely lost.”

 

Once again, he shivered and was about to run away into the woods when the voice found a vessel and it came from a tall boy wearing black  pants, white sleeveless shirt over a black knitted sleeves and was bare feet as he goes out into his hiding spot in the bushes. The man’s face is covered with a cat ceramic mask so he couldn’t tell if he was seeing a monster with a cat face or probably not.

 

“C’mon, I’ll show you out.” It talked without opening his mouth to speak. It made him sprawled into the ground, face first from tripping into the tree’s root once again. He was about to yell and run away but this happened so it brought embarrassment and it showed in his cheeks.

 

“You wouldn’t be tripping over and over again if you didn’t go in here.” It said again as it walked over him and hand out the other end of a tree branch. “Take it so we can go.”

 

He was hesitant at first but then took the other end afterwards. Then, they started to walk.

 

“The forest is very cunning. You shouldn’t go if you’re not with someone older. It gets easier to get lost when you’re alone.”

 

It talked once again and he found himself silently listening to his voice.

 

“A-are you… l-lost too?” he asked as soon as he found the courage to do so.

 

The taller boy made a stop and so as he then, the boy turned to face him after letting go of the other end of the branch.

 

“No. I live here.”

 

“H-here? L-like, I-in the forest?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Then silence filled them in but the taller boy was quick to start another conversation, or more particular, got another warning for him.

 

“If you follow that stone pathway, you will be fine. It goes straight out of here and into the temple. Do not linger into the woods anymore if you’re not accompanied with an elder—“

 

“T-then,” he cut him off. “W-will you accompany me the next time I visit?”

 

The taller boy fell silent but afterwards answered, “I don’t see any problem with that.”

 

He smiled in delight. “Then, I will bring you a pair of shoes so you wouldn’t walk in bare feet anymore!” he exclaimed.

 

“Okay.” The taller boy replied.

 

“My name is Ken, by the way. What’s yours?” he asked but then got embarrassed as soon as he said it.

 

“N-ne-never mind!” He waved his hand and shook his head. “I should probably go.” He said in a sad voice then turned his back, lowering his head.

 

He started walking but heard a clear voice saying,

 

“Leo. My name is Leo.”

 

It brought a smile on his face but when he turned around for Leo to see it he was already gone.

 

 

 

 

The next day, Ken can feel the excitement rushing up inside him after waking up and breathing the fresh air surrounding him. He quickly took a shower then ate his breakfast and jumpily went to the door not forgetting about the shoes he asked for his older brother last night and kept it and slid in a box for Leo then bid his goodbye to his parents.

 

“Are you going to the forest again? You might get lost, Kennie!” his mother shouted.

 

“No. I won’t get lost, mom. See you later!” he confidently said then finally run off toward the forest.

 

 

 

“Here. Just like I promised.”

 

Ken showed a toothy smile when he saw Leo standing beside the lamp post standing in between the forest and stone pathway toward the temple. He then walked over, taking a step closer but before he could close the distance between them to a foot apart, Leo stopped him with another fallen branch which he grabbed from the ground.

“Stop. You can’t come any closer.” Leo said as he put a distance in between them with the help of the branch.

 

“W-why?” Ken asked as he was confused. He turned sad when Leo didn’t answer him. With a sigh, he step backward and place the shoes down the ground.

 

“Thanks.” Leo said and carefully takes the shoes on and wore them. He then handed the other end at Ken once again.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

With that, Ken grabbed the other end sadly and they walked inside the forest in silence. He was upset and Leo knew how the younger boy felt so he finally opened his mouth to speak.

 

“If you touch me, I’ll disappear.” He said.

 

Ken lifted up his head to meet Leo’s and stare at the taller boy’s cat mask in astonishment. But before he could speak, someone else does and it wasn’t Leo’s voice. It was someone scary and deep.

 

“Leo, he’s a human! Get away and don’t touch him!” said by the scary and hoarse voice. Then, something moved in the tree’s bushes and what made Ken shrill in fright next was the long hand-like branch flowing out of the tree’s branches and shielded Leo inside its spikey fingers.

 

“It’s okay. He’s with me.” Leo said, reassuring the tree spirit that immediately backed away once being told everything is fine.

 

“But, I have to warn you boy.” Said the tree. “Leo is not to be touched.”

 

“He won’t. Right, Ken?” Leo turned around and sternly gazes at the younger.

 

Ken was taken aback and was still shock but he managed to nod his head in reply.

 

They continue to walk and finally made a stop in front of a small lake inside the forest. Leo took his seat on the grassy floor while Ken did the same since they were still holding both ends of the branch together and still keeping his mouth silent, he sat beside him but he made sure they have enough distance to each other.

 

“The god of the forest granted me a life to continue living. But, I am not a human nor I am a spirit. I am just someone who cannot move on. If I touch a human body or if they touch me, I will disappear.  The spell the god of the forest casted on me will break and I will be but nothing.”

 

Ken blinked his eyes twice after listening to Leo’s story. He was still frightened that there are spirits living in the forest but, this is far more frightening knowing that he cannot touch Leo and they will have a huge distance between them for Leo to be safe.

 

“I… understand.” Ken sadly acknowledged, lowering his head in devastation. He cannot do anything but to accept the fact that he will never touch Leo, ever. But, it served him another purpose of going in the forest and trusting Leo for not keeping him lost inside.

 

“But, it doesn’t keep us away from each other, right? You’re my friend now, right?” he asked afterward, desperately showing Leo that it didn’t matter to him if he can’t touch him but of course, deep inside it does. Leo didn’t know how badly he wanted to hug the older after knowing that someone was there and he wasn’t alone on their first meeting inside the forest.

 

Leo turned his head and look at him but didn’t made any gesture nor verbal answer. He just stayed silent.

 

“Can’t you remove your mask, Leo? I can’t seem to know if you’re agreeing to what I said or you don’t want to answer because you don’t want to be my friend—“

 

Before Ken could end his speech with a dot, all of a sudden, Leo slowly took off his mask and Ken gasped mentally but his eyes grew larger after finally seeing Leo’s face.

 

He’s beautiful. Ken admitted. He's mesmerized by Leo's beauty.

 

“I will be your friend.” Leo finally answered and Ken happily smiled.

 

 

 

Their friendship grew stronger as the days passed by. They both spend a lot of time together that they didn’t take notice of the changes that was happening to their surroundings but most importantly, Ken’s.

 

From being a five-year old kid, Ken finally grew into an adolescent. And, the changes only occurred to him one morning after waking up and was about to wash his face.

 

He’s finally eleven and just about a year younger than Leo. Soon, he will finally grow much older than him. Leo will stay twelve forever unlike him who will grow older and older and will have grey hair soon.

 

His face saddened and his heart cried because of that. For a short moment, he wanted to live just like Leo does. He will not age and he will not grow old anymore. But, as reality kicks him in, the consequence of his wish will kill him. He won’t ever touch his parents, his brother and his grandparents. He doesn’t like that to happen.

 

So, how does Leo cope up with not touching a human body, and the warmth it can give?

 

Leo sure is sad. I feel sorry for him but I can’t do anything other than giving him my company.  He thought.

 

He stared at his reflection in the mirror once again and forced a smile though it didn’t reach his eyes. But, he needs to be optimistic. Leo needs him more than anybody.

 

“You’re going out again, Ken?” His brother asked once seeing him putting his shoes on.

 

“Yep,” he nodded.

 

“It’s your birthday. You shouldn’t be anywhere. Mom’s cooking something for you.”

 

“I’ll be back before sunset, Hyung. I promise.” He said then swiftly took off like he always did for the past years.

 

 

Ken run his way to their meeting place and his heart will always excited whenever he’s getting near because he loves picturing and seeing Leo standing beside the lamp post, waiting for him.

 

“Leo!” he shouted once he sees him on his usual spot beside the lamp post.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

Ken cheerfully nodded then followed Leo, walking behind his back with, always, a wide distance between them.

 

They walked to the same trail then ended up on their favourite place which is the flower garden and a large pond in the heart of the forest.

 

Ken immediately picked some flowers while Leo took his seat on the large stone in between the pond and the garden. His favourite spot.

 

“Ken,” Leo then called that made Ken immediately stopped picking flowers and turned his head toward where the other boy was.

 

“Hmm?” he hummed.

 

“Come here.” He said and Ken immediately obeyed. He sat next to the large stone where a medium rock stone lies and gave one piece from his bunch of flowers to Leo’s lap.

 

“What is it?” Ken asked, getting curious but Leo stayed silent and just fixated his gaze at him.

 

“Do you want to sneak out later this evening?”

 

“What?”

 

“Well, there will be a spirit festival. I just thought you should come with me and see.” Leo said.

 

Ken blinked his eyes then without noticing it; his hand started reaching toward Leo’s face. Seeing it behind his mask, Leo started leaning backward and Ken’s hand just keep moving forward until the silence that filled them vanished when Ken burst a laughter.

 

Leo, without knowing, pushed himself straight into the pond, wetting himself and so does Ken but he was happy. And, Ken was glad.

 

Leo asked him and it feels like it will be a date.

 

“Hey,” Leo called once again. “Are you coming?”

 

Still laughing his heart out, Ken nod his head and splashed Leo with water and Leo returned the favour.

 

They spent half their time in the pond and the other half was spent in talking random stuffs.

 

 

Ken finally bid his goodbye before the sunset falls and promised to sneak out later.

 

“I will wait for you here, then.” Leo said.

 

“Yeah.” Ken replied and waved his goodbye.

 

 

 

After celebrating his birthday, Ken silently sneaked out of his house and without looking back, he run to the forest as fast as his feet can go.

 

He was panting hard when he reached the place where Leo is always waiting for him.

 

“You ran again.” Leo noted.

 

“Of course!” Ken exclaimed in between breaths. “Sneaking out is forbidden. My brother got hit on the legs after my father found out he left during the night to meet his friends.”

 

Leo then smiled. “Let’s go.”

 

Ken plastered a smile then they both started walking inside.

 

 

After the festival, Ken and Leo walked to the sidewalk going back to their meeting place and they were having a light conversation.

 

“Did you have fun?” Leo asked.

 

“Yeah.” Ken nodded in delight. “It’s my first time seeing spirits gathering in a festival and not to mention, they even transformed into humans!”

 

Leo chuckled. “Well, it’s because other humans sometimes mixes in the crowd without knowing it.”

 

Ken then sternly gaze at Leo’s side view, couldn’t help but to silently wish for Leo to remove his mask just this night. He wanted to see Leo’s face in the dark because he’s absolutely sure it will grow bright in his eyes.

 

Noticing the stare, Leo tilts his head to meet Ken who’s obviously spacing out staring at him.

 

“Ken?” he called but Ken’s eyes didn’t flinch.

 

“Ken?” he called once again but he didn’t hear a respond from him.

 

Then he called him for a third time, this time taking off his mask. Ken finally flinch and blink his eyes. Leo was glad seeing that expression on his face: startled.

 

“Ken,” he called for the fourth time and finally he did hear a response. A hum.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I think it’s okay for me to touch you like this.”

 

Without muttering another word, Leo put the mask on, on Ken’s face and brushed the mask’s cheek with his hand.

 

Ken gasped in surprise. He was about to stop Leo when the latter leaned forward and kissed the mask’s lips.

 

Leo pulled away afterward and even though Ken’s face is hidden behind the mask, Leo can see the blush appearing on his cheeks.

 

“Keep it. It’s yours now, Ken.” Leo stated.

 

Ken then takes off the mask to show Leo how happy he was. He was about to say it. The three words he wanted to say long before. But, something inevitable happened.

 

A boy running past them suddenly tripped and Leo’s reflexes told him to save the boy and he did.

 

“Be careful next time!” Leo shouted to the boy that didn’t even thanked him and just runs away after being saved.

 

“C’mon, I’ll take you—“

 

“Leo!” Ken cut Leo as soon as he saw Leo’s hands started to drift off and vanish.

 

The boy is human and Leo had touched a human body.

 

Leo was also stunned. He watched his hands drift away in his eyes but he wasn’t sad his life has finally ended though he was a little disappointed that he won’t be able to see Ken anymore but…

 

“Ken, come. Let me hug you for the first time.”

 

And Ken didn’t even waste a second. He lunged himself into Leo’s arms while tears start falling down his eyes.

 

“I love you, Ken.” Leo whispered his final words and before he finally disappears, he has this contented smile on his face because he heard Ken’s reply.

 

 

“I love you too, Leo! I love you so... so much.”

 

 

 

 

Someone precious might be gone in your life before you, but the greatest assurance you can get is to be able to say how much they mean to you before it’s too late.

 

 

 

~THE END~

a/n: I know it's not good enough unlike the movie but I really did my best I could muster. I wrote this for 7 hours, of course, with breaks in between but I know it's not fully furnished. I wasn't happy of how it ended. I thought of reincarnating Leo just like I wish Gin to be reincarnated as well but I think their 'I love you's' says it all. I hope you had a great time reading this~!

This is also my belated Bday fic for Ken~ ♥

 

See you in the next KEO story~! ♥