C21

Offense FELL Into My Hands

It has been a long time since I dance……ever thought with boys at that. I remember that the last time was when my grandpa was beside me, always. With remembrance of that. You can’t help to feel down and you just look at the best view – floor while you dance.

Halbeoji… how could you leave me..

Your thoughts trail off that you spacing out when Dongwoo talking. “yah ____, are you listening?” you seems to be stunned with that just smile sheepishly and uttering sorry. “Mian. C-can you repeat what you just talk about just now.” He rolled his eyes with that and swings you guys towards the side of the dance floor. “No way that I am going to repeat. I guess you’re thirsty-?”

Touching your neck – throat precisely. I don’t even notice that my throat is dry. Ahahha.. “sorry to ruin the dance.” He give you a drink and you drank – one shot. He let out a chuckle and get his drink.

He shakes his head. “you’ve been saying sorry to much. Do you want to take a fresh air outside?” looking at the surroundings and found Baozi and Jee still in the air. You smile inward to see that Jee. So you agree to Dongwoo. “yeah. Let’s go, I can’t stand this huge crowd.” Both of you put your cup on the table.

 

Both of you walk out and enter the school infamous garden – there’s benches, a fish pond, some trees and big field of flowers with different kind of it. Dongwoo find his way to one of the benches and invite you onwards. “Slow poke, come here.”

“Aigoo.. we just being friends like a moment ago and now you are too comfortable and calling me with ridiculous nicknames.” He smiles shyly. “Did I offend you somehow?”

You shook your head and sending him a warm smile ensures him. “I am fine with it.”

“glad you do.”

Bringing your attention to the open sky, you began to star gazing – counting the uncounted stars and imagine some stupid faces on the sky. “Dongwoo-sshi. Why are you here?”

“w-what? What do you mean?” he surprised of what you had said. it looks like you speak without thinking. “Just asking, why are you schooling here? Because I know….you’re not from this neighborhood, nonetheless this town.”

“a-a.. that. I uh…” he can’t even make out his words in response. “are you doing this for Jee?” he turn to you shocked. I guess that’s it. “i-it.. ‘s not what you think… she—me.. aa”

You shush him. “Dongwoo.” Resting your right palm on his shoulder. “I’m not trying to fight you here. Just calm down.” He nodded still with the shock face he got earlier. “mind telling your story?” you ask him.

The latter stay quiet for a while to scramble his words. Thinking that he quit on explaining, you shrugged it off with a sigh. “it’s okay if you d-“  he cut it. “Firstly, for so you know… me and Jee are not a couple. I don’t have those crush thing with her. and so do she.. we’re just friends. Just friends.” He looks down.

You obediently waiting for him to continue.. “I move here is because of her. Yes. “ you nodded knowing your answer. “so you do have does liking on her.” “no no… I told you I don’t and neither do Jee. She likes someone else.”

“she’s liking someone? What?” you shock and that your best friend is having a crush on someone and for the record. She never told you… you clench your jaw annoyed at that and was going to throw tantrums but stopped when Dongwoo calms you down. “don’t be mad at her, ____-sshi. She’s having a hard time to keeping this feelings and I don’t want your stubbornness ruined it. Just so you can release your tension.”

With a sigh you talk again. “you  know what. I’m not mad. It just… why didn’t she tell me? this days, it feels like she’s avoiding me. and earlier today she send me this present I don’t know what it is contain. She’s making me furious. Ugh!”

Being the best person that you can look up to.. Dongwoo pat your shoulder so that you relax. “I understands.” You shoved your face in your bare palms and pinch your puff cheeks. “ugh!!! How can I been such a fool. Pabo~~”

Dongwoo surprised a laugh and stop his patting. You look at him un-amused. “is there a comedy that you laughing?”

“a-ani… you’re just too cute, ____-sshi. Now I know why Jee always softened when she angry at you.”

“she’s angry with me? what for?” this is insane. Why is she angry? I’m the one who should be angry. She deceives me. And even tell Dongwoo without telling her first about her confusion and un-secureness.

“Jisun sometimes angry when she sees you acting ty towards people.” Oh that does it. ty? Those people who acting ty… this is frustrating. You rub your temple. “This is insane…. I’m not-“

Your words been cut off by some random classmates come to you running breathless. “yah Im ____! Your best friend’s knockout.”

“what do you mean, Changsub?” Dongwoo ask him. You don’t even recall that he’s your acquaintance. But you can’t just ignore him when he talks about your best friend. You give a full ear on him.

“she-she…”still catching his breath. “..i don’t know what happen- but Xiumin is with her all the time. You guys need to go check on her. The ambulance will be here soon.” After that Changsub explain. Dongwoo quickly run to the place leaving you still in daze. With the signal that he ran. You surpass a run with a thanks to Changsub while running. He then shout a “she needs you, ____-sshi!” you just nodded and keep running to Jee place.

 

When you arrive, people had been crowding around Minseok and Jee. And now that Dongwoo join the two. He keeps on trying to find her pulse. You come a bit later after him.

“Jisun-ah… ireona.” You heard Dongwoo utter rather whispering. “yah… don’t be like this.” He patt her pale cheeks trying to make her woke up. No avail.

You bend down to the floor so that you are close to her. “Jee..I’m here Jee. Please wake up.” You spoke up. You too keep on trying to wake her but Minseok pull you up. Standing beside him. “Woo.. the ambulance is here. Let’s take her outside.” He grabs Dongwoo attention and the latter nodded.

With a blink of an eye. He swiftly carry Jee bridal style in his arms and make his way outside while people just looking at his way. Minseok’s arm still embracing your palm, he pull you with him outside to follow the two earlier. You didn’t pull away and tail him.

 

A t  t h e  h o s p i t a l.

The three of you still waiting for Jee outside with a heavy heart. Praying for her best. Dongwoo has his both hand balled up in front of his face. Eyes closed, sitting on the respective chair. Minseok is patting him on his back, his face scrunch up – afraid.

You were standing in front of the emergency door too with a heavy heart and breathing. Your right hand holding the hem of your coat, transferring your sadness on it. This thing had happen to you before. The feeling of in-secured, sad and worry about the special person. Walking aimlessly, you walk back and forth again making Minseok worries. He motions you to seat next to him but you ignore for the nth time.

He sighs grumpily and walk to you. Grabbing both of your shoulder and walked you to the chair where he seat just now. “Seat here.” you just do as you told but you’re spacing out. He seats on your right so now you are in the middle of the two guys. Dongwoo look at you who are now pale worry. He give you an reassure smile and pat your balled up fist.

He took you in surprise because you didn’t seem to now notice that he look at you and patting you. He gives the same smile and continue to look at the air. You look back forward. Still aimlessly. And then Minseok embrace your shoulder and comfortably place your head on his left shoulder so that you rest a bit. Looking at him with sadness in your eyes. He just pats your head and makes you softened.

 

---

The emergency room’s door open ajar and reveal Jee who is on her bed sleeping with a breathing tube on his mouth. The three of you walk to the doctor and ask for her condition.

“She’s fine for now. We can’t confirm for how long can she bare this but… who is her guardian?”

“We are just her friends. Uhmmm Dongwoo.. you’re her cousin.” Dongwoo look at him and at the doctor. Your mind seems to processing what happen. He is Jee’s cousin?

“are you?” the doctor ask.

“Yes. I am.” He gives the doctor a confirmation and then the doctor asks the nurses to take Jee to her ward. “Where is her parents may I ask?”

“They are on their way.” Dongwoo answers. The doctor nodded. “I believe you know what does she suffers?” with that, Dongwoo nodded in agreement. Leaving you shocked. Suffers? You look at Minseok and you see that he too nodded at the doctor.

“The last time she checked in to the hospital was two weeks ago, am I right?” Dongwoo ask him. “is it gone worst?” the doctor face fell.. he place his shoulder on Dongwoo’s shoulder. “I’m sorry to say this, but- yes. She can’t survive without going on a surgery. And that too.. we can’t confirm her immunity onwards.”

Dongwoo’s face sadden. And then.. Jee’s parents come running. “Doctor Ko. Where’s my baby.. “ her mother spokes up. “Calm down dear.” Jee’s father pat her wife. “how can I calm down, Jongmin. My daughter is suffering alone.”

“Mr. and Mrs. Hwang. We need to discuss her surgery. Sooner or later, she will have to go on for a surgery.” With the sound of it. Jee’s mom almost faint. “woah woah… Gyuri. Calm down..”

Dongwoo - seeing his aunt having a hard time. He walks up to her and helps his uncle. “Thanks Dongwoo..” he shake his head still with the sad eyes he give his uncle a reassure smile.

“let’s go to my office so that we can discuss this matter.” The doctor offer. And then the three walk away leaving you with Minseok alone. With that, he walks to Jee’s ward while pulling you with him.