Engagement?!

Take Me Away

 

 

 

In the US


 

“Shinhye darling, come over here so your father and I can have a little chit chat with you.” Mrs. Park told her daughter when she just got home.

 

“Okay mom, I’ll just take a shower and be downstairs.” Shinhye yelled, upstair.


 

“So, how’s college life so far after you graduated high school.” Mrs. Park told her daughter when she got downstair after taking a shower.

 

“It’s going ok, I guess.” she said not interested.

 

“Well, at less you didn’t say that you hate it.” she told her softly.

 

“So, you’re mother and I called you downstair to have a chat with you is because we planned a engagement for you.” Mr. Park told her.

 

“What? You planned a engagement for me? You guys are joking right, I mean I’m only 19 years old. There’s no way.” Shinhye didn’t want to believe it. She looked at her parents, and they were dead serious, they weren’t joking around with her.

 

“I can’t believe it. And you call yourself parents!” she yelled at them, and got up her seat.

 

“Shinhye, let us explain, sit down, and calm yourself down.” Mrs. Park quietly told her.

 

“How can I calm down when I know that I’m going to marry someone that I don’t even know!” she argued with them.

 

“Shinhye! Sit down and listen to what your mother and I have to say about this!” Mr. Park finally yelled at her.

 

“Fine, if I do sit down, you guys better have a good explanation for this.” she sat down on the opposite side of the sofa, facing her parents.

 

“Your father and I, thought it’ll be a perfect future for you up ahead. The reason for your marriage that, we’re just planning ahead for your own good future. We want the best for you, so we engaged you to Lee Jongsuk. You were worried that we’re going to married you off to someone we don’t know right, so you don’t have to worry no more.” Mrs. Park explained to her.

 

“You know, your explanation about my perfect future up ahead is even more worser than, if you would have said that it was for money.” she told them back.

 

“Is that a right way to speak to your mother Shinhye, that isn’t how we raised you!” Mr. Park yelled at her.

 

“Oh, if that isn’t how I was to be raised up, then was I raised up just to be married off to the man I don’t even know!” she told them off. Which earned her a slap in the face from her mother.

 

“We know Jongsuk, enough for you to be married off to him. If you don’t know him enough then, get to know him when you do.” Mrs. Park angrily told her, after slapping her in the face.

 

“That is all, you can go back to your room.” Mrs. Park said when she lost her temper.


 

Mrs. Park then went to the backyard to water their flowers, while Mr. Park just sit in a chair and read his newspaper.



 

***


 

Shinhye stood in the living room, with watery eyes, and then went straight to her room, and locked the doors.


 

“How could they do this to me? If there’s no other choice for me, then I just have to escape home.” she told herself, and thought of something.


 

She grabbed her cell phone and made a call out of the state.


 

Phone conversation

 

(S.Korea)Dahee: Hello, this is Dahee speaking.

 

(US)Shinhye: Dahee ya.

 

(S.Korea)Dahee: Oh, Shinhye ya what’s wrong are you crying. It’s been ages since you called, and you call now while crying. Tell me what's wrongs.

 

(US)Shinhye: Mianhe, but this is important, can you give me your house address. I’ll tell you later when I get the time too.

 

(S.Korea)Dahee: Wae, are you planning to come here?

 

(US)Shinhye: Deh.

 

(S.Korea)Dahee: Did your parents agree to this, that you can come over to Seoul.

 

(US)Shinhye: Deh, they agree that I can come over. (she lied)

 

(S.Korea)Dahee: Araso.

 

Phone call ended


 

When I ended the call, I quickly got up and packed my bags.

 

“I don’t want to spend another minute in this house.” she said.


 

When she got done with packing her mother then came knocking on her door.


 

“Shinhye ya, I just want to remind you that tomorrow we’re going to have dinner with Lee Jongsuk and his family. So you better be in your best behavior, and wear something nice too.” Mrs. Park told her through the other side of the door and walked away.


 

“I guess I just have to be patient for one more day.” she thought angrily.



 

***



 

At Lee Jongsuk house, the maid prepared dinner for them.


 

“Such a lovely house you live in.” Mrs. Park told Jongsuk.

 

“Ah, it’s nothing really, my parents went through alot of effort to get the house.” he said to Mrs. Park, and stared at Shinhye right behind of her mother.

 

“I can see that.” Mr.Park laughed and tapped Jongsuk’s shoulder.

 

“What do you think, Shinhye ya.” Mr. Park asked her daughter.


 

Shinhye was looking down at the floor, until her father asked her a question.

 

“Huh?” she said.

 

“I asked what do you think of Jongsuk’s house.” Mr. Park asked nicely.


 

Shinhye just wanted this to be over with so she pretended a fake smile.


 

“Ah, I think its great isn’t it, it’s so nice.” she faked a laughed.

 

Mrs. and Mr. Park smiled at them and gave them a few moments together and went to talk to Mrs. and Mr. Lee.


 

“So, I think you heard of the news. That we’re getting engaged. I’m looking forward to it.” he said.

 

“Don’t even think about it. I haven’t even agree to this.” she said back at him.

 

“Look, I know you’re probably not happy with this whole thing but, it’ll past. So just release your anger, and enjoy your time you have now.” he said.

 

“What do you know, I don’t even know you and we’re getting engaged and you’re not affected by it.” she told him angrily.

 

“Actually, you’re right, I’m not affected by it because I actually do want to marry you.” he said.

 

“For money, I see.” she replied not looking at him.

 

“No, there wasn’t any money involved at all.” he said looking at her.


 

Jongsuk then reach for her hand, and pulled her close to him.


 

“What are you doing?! Let go!” she yelled at him.




Looking straight at his eyes.