Envy

Angel of Death

Their eyes stared into each other’s for a good 10 seconds until the girl turned her head around and the curtains took over the window again. He was about to pout when the curtains moved again. He immediately looked up and smile but his smile quickly fade away when he saw a boy. Sehun was literally throwing death glares at him and the younger roughly moved the curtains back in place. The lights were turned off from the other’s house making him realized that it was already late. He plomped himself on the bed again, deciding to sleep too.

 

Chapter 6

“Hayoung, let’s go to a café today. I’ll be meeting up with some friends there. Do you want to go?”, Sehun asked as he sat beside the girl who was sitting on the chair. Hayoung continued doing her homework after answering him with a ‘no.’

Sehun stood up and went to the closet. He picked a loose grey t-shirt with some splashes of colourful paint on it and a pair of jeans. He removed the clothes he was wearing. “What does Areum wants to talk about?”, Sehun muttered but it was followed with the sound of the eye of a mechanical pencil breaking. He turned around, sliding the grey shirt onto his body. He looked at Hayoung’s hand which stopped writing.

The younger turned around and met his gaze. Before Sehun could ask her, “Can I go there?”, she asked. Her eyes were darker than usual.

“What’s with the sudden change of mind?”

“I need to take my ‘gift’ there.”, Hayoung closed her book and went to her own closet, bringing out a black dress and a black hair band. Sehun just looked at her. He knew what she meant.

“Sure. Just don’t take it in front of others. You might freak them out too.”, Sehun muttered, sitting on his bed while waiting for Hayoung to change her clothes. He took the hairband and wore it to Hayoung, making a ribbon on top of her head. He cupped the other’s cheek, looking straight into her eyes. “If one of my friends were your mission, will you still kill them?”, he asked.

“You already knew the answer.”, she replied and removed his hands from her cheeks. Sehun continued to look at the younger who already broke their eye contact. She walked downstairs, meeting Suho. They seem to talk with Suho looking worried. As Sehun arrived at them, Suho gave Hayoung a quick hug and a pat on the head.

 

“Sehun-ah!”, someone’s voice echoed in the café. The two of them turned towards the voice. There were a few teenagers there. Hayoung’s eyes turned dark. Sehun could feel the aura around her is beginning to get spookier. A girl with two ponytails, each under her ears. Smiled to both of them. But when she saw Hayoung, her smile slowly disappeared. Hayoung could see the price she had to take beside the girl who was her customer.

“Oh? Sehun-yah, who is she?”, a light brown-haired boy asked Sehun.

“I brought my little sister. Oh Hayoung. I want to her to socialize.”, Sehun explained. Hayoung just bowed.

“Annyeong, Hayoung-ah! I’m Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol! 92’ liner~ ”, a black-haired guy waved at her. “I met you brother the first time was when he accidentally threw a ball at me.”, he continued, receiving a glare from Sehun.

“Hi, Byun Baekhyun’s the name.”, the boy who asked who she was introduced himself.

“Annyeong, Hayoung-ah. I’m Lee Areum.”, her customer smiled at her. She quickly averted her eyes from Hayoung.

“Hello, I’m Shim Changmin.”, the boy beside her waved. Yes, the price.

     Chanyeol looked at Hayoung’s and Sehun’s intertwined hands. “You two look so close. Like twins.”, he laughed. Hayoung’s hold on Sehun’s hands become tighter and Sehun was afraid because she might do something to Chanyeol. “What a cute sibling. Sehun-ah, you should bring her more often with us.”, and the hold on Sehun’s hand loosen. Sehun knew the girl was in shock. This was the first time someone said the word ‘cute’ when they do these kinds of things.

They ordered for what they wanted to have. Areum was getting uneasy with Hayoung. She was sipping her coffee and placed down her cup. However, she got shocked and immediately stood up. The sound of her chair being pushed echoed along with her scream. The cup tripped and the coffee spilled and dripped to the floor. “Areum-ah, what’s wrong?”, Baekhyun asked. Areum looked at him with wide eyes but shook her head saying it was nothing. The waiter came and cleaned up the mess she made.

Areum looked at Hayoung once again. The girl was drinking her green tea elegantly beside his brother. Sehun looked at Areum, making her looked away. Sehun already knew why Areum looked at Hayoung like that. His hand slowly made its way to Hayoung’s, giving it a squeeze. He wanted her to stop what she was doing. Hayoung turned her head towards him but her eyes were on something else. “So Hayoung, tell me what’s Sehun is like at house.”, Chanyeol placed his forearms on the table, looking charmly at Hayoung. “Do you have a picture of him smiling? He barely smiles at us.”, the guy pouted.

Hayoung thought for a while. She couldn’t just open up easily to the humans around her. “He does smile sometimes. You just didn’t see it. He smiles inwardly. Maybe one day, you’ll get to see it.”, Hayoung replied.

“Your voice sounds so calm.”, Baekhyun interrupted. “Sehun should ask you to sing him a lullaby.”, he clapped his hand. “And your clothes are fully black. You really do like black, don’t you? But maybe you should try to wear other colours. I’m sure white would be awesome for you.”, he smiled at her.

“Oh, look at the time, we have to go.”, Chanyeol patted Baekhyun’s shoulder to remind him an important thing.

They all parted on their own ways. Sehun held Hayoung’s hand, swinging it back and forth slightly. A scream was heard and they turned around. Changmin was laying on the ground, blood flowing out of him. He was hit by a car. Hayoung pressed the ‘send’ button. Areum looked at her phone, her eyes widened and tears dripping down. Sehun knew about it. “So, I was correct. Changmin was the price.”, he muttered.

They turned around and continued walking as if nothing happened. “Changmin was the most precious thing for her so I took Changmin as the price.”, Hayoung muttered.

“But that would make her actions on killing Jiyeon was nothing.”, Sehun looked at the sky.

“That shows how bad envy is. Changmin wouldn’t like her anyway. He already gave all his heart to Jiyeon. ”, they walked along the lonely street.


“This is just the beginning.”

-“Hayoung-ah, I’ve never heard your voice before. All you do is actions.”

“What do you mean? I can hear her voice.”

-“Hope this can help you. Give it to me when you finished reading it.”

Next Chapter - Friend?