Her Circumstance, If Only, If Only

His and Her Circumstances

 

He finished the song and everybody in the hall clapped their hands in amazement. Mr. Park, father’s business partner, came to him and shook his hands. Reconciliation? I don’t know.

He came down and went towards Joo-unni, said something, then left. Then the slow music started playing. He went towards a corner and stayed there. As anti-rich as I last saw him. I was entranced and just kept looking at him.

“JooHyun, you’re late. Come, let’s greet Mr Park.” Father said behind me. He didn’t notice I was looking at someone, did he?

“Dae. Appa, about our music clas-” I tried to apologize.

“We’ll talk about that later at home dear. Just show our friends here that you’re fit to be our daughter, right now. Okay?” Mother said cutting me.

We went to Mr. Park and greeted him. Then the three of them were having fun chatting. I left them be and tried to find something to eat.

“Didn’t I say, don’t ever come near me again?” the guy I wanted to meet finally is in reach and started a conversation.

“This is a party and I’m invited. I didn’t mean to meet you here.” I replied. Why the heck did I say that? Please don’t hate me! I don’t even know you’re name yet.

“Please don’t take those words too seriously. And…” he stopped for a moment. I also stayed silent and waited for him to gather the correct words for what he wanted to say.

“I’m actually thankful to you. Noona told me that you said to just let me go and not send to prison.” He continued.

“Noona?” I’m surprised at how he called unni.

“Oh. I meant Ms. Jung. Well, that’s all I want to say-” he looked like in a hurry to go away.

“Um… Can I ask you to dance?” I asked trying to stop him. What the-! Girls aren’t suppose to ask the guy to dance. My parents will be very upset with me once they learned of this.

“I don’t know how. I’m sorry. You know I’m not from your world. I do not belong.” He said.

“We live in the same world. If not, then we’re not talking right here right now.” I smiled at his honest remark. “And I’m not that much of a dancer too.” I giggled a little.

“I still don’t like to associate myself with your kind who looks down on society.” He said then started to walk away. I wanted to talk to him more. Convince him that not all rich people had their fun in life. Make him see that she’s just an ordinary girl.

Left with no choice, I tried to do what my parents instructed me. Mingle with important people and act the proper etiquette for a young lady.

“I heard you’re already engage to Mr. Jung’s son. That’s a very nice choice.” One commented.

“You’re very lucky. If only I had a daughter instead of a son, I’d also pick Mr. Jung to be her husband.” They say.

I went to a corner and looked for a seat. I am tired physically and mentally… and emotionally.

“Parties are suppose to be enjoyable, isn’t it?” a woman came and asked me.

I looked up to see who it was. And I found myself looking at Joo-unni. “Unni!!!”

“What’s with that look? You’re destroying your beautiful face. You know that girls are prettier when they smile.” She said trying to cheer the lot of me.

“I flunked at Music Class again. I don’t know how I’ll be able to make my parents say they’re proud of me anymore.” I told her a fragment of my problems.

“You really have it hard. But you know, things like that should not affect you anymore. How many times have it happened before? It’s not as if they would throw you out in the streets if you fail them every single time, right? But if they do, call me. I’ll be with you, no matter what time of day.” She said raising my face up to see her smiling. I smiled. “See? You’re beautiful when you smile like that.”

“Unni… Why are you so kind to me? Is it because I’m your brother’s fiancé?” I asked since I don’t want to lose unni. What will happen if she learned I like someone else?

“I’ve… always wanted a sister. But God gave me a brother who thinks he controls the whole world. I’d even wish that Kyuhyun was my brother. I’m a bad sister, am I?” She confessed.

“Kyuhyun?” Who’s that?

“The one my brother nearly killed. I am really grateful of that incident. You can never judge a person by its appearance. I never thought he could play the piano and sing like that. Really unexpected.” She said.

So Kyuhyun is his name…

“Unni, if ever-”

“JooHyun, let’s g home. Ms. Jung, please excuse us.” Father said.

“Of course, Mr. Seo, Let’s talk some other time, okay?” she said to me.

“Dae unni!” I said and followed my parents to our car. I don’t care what happens at home now. Scold me or not, I’ll accept anything.

The two of them were quiet the whole time we traveled home. I’m starting to get nervous of this silence. What could they be thinking?

“Dear, you did a great job socializing this evening. I guess we’ll let the Music Class issue pass this time.” Mother said without emotion.

“Dae.” I’m saved.

“Make sure you befriend the Jung family. Since you still can’t marry, and I already need to start the construction of the new building, we’ll need their help. I hope you won’t fail us on this one. Your marriage is something very important to our company. I expect you understand what I’m trying to say.” Father said bluntly.

“Of course.” I looked down. I really do have no choice. To make them  happy, I don’t deserve to be happy myself.

How nice it would be if Kyuhyun was one powerful person in the business world. But he won’t even try to know anyone as long as their rich. I don’t think I can even break his shell of anger towards us. I wished I was never born like this. If only he could see this side of me. If only he could hear the sadness of my heart… If only, if only…