Her Circumstance, An Unexpected Phone Call

His and Her Circumstances

 

Last night, all I did was bother unni by crying to her. I hate it when I bother her but she’s the only person who understands me the most. Today, father and mother came for breakfast. It was surprisingly unusual. They are usually out in the office by this time.

“JooHyun, later, we’ll be going to a fair trade. An important stockholder of mine has a habit of going to those kinds of places and we’ll be accompanying him. So we’ll be picking you up this afternoon after school.” father said instead of a simple ‘good morning’.

“Dae, appa.” I said and started eating my breakfast. I ate breakfast today the fastest. I don’t really want to eat with the cause they’ll just say something that would ruin my mood. I went to school and endured schoolwork throughout the day. Later in the afternoon, Appa did pick me up from school. Then we went to a market. It was filled with people. Stalls here and there. Our group walked out and started heading towards the fair.

“Mr. Lee, do you always go to fairs like this one?” appa asked him. He is starting a conversation.

“You see, you can find a lot of great treasures in this kind of gathering. I once bought an authentic painting of a great painter in one of the fair I attended once.” Appa’s partner said.

“That’s really amazing, Mr. Lee. Truly.” Appa complimented.

“Well, it really depends on your luck. By the way, Ms. Seo, I’ve heard from your father that you’ve been doing a really great job at school. I’m impressed. My child doesn’t value education.” He said turning to me this time.

“Thank you for the compliment.” I said. We entered the place and it was really full of people.

“My daughter is engaged to the son of the president of Jung International. She really do make us proud.” My father said. Now, he’s spreading it. It makes it harder to deny and escape now.

“Really? That’s a very great decision Ms. Seo. If I’m your father, I’ll be as proud!” Mr. Lee said. Only if father really feel proud.

The whole afternoon, we roam around looking at the display. Mr. Lee liked a lot and bought too many. He said it’s an addition to his collection. I don’t care. Then my cellphone rang. It was a message from Joo-unni.

‘Seo, I’ll be changing phones tonight, here’s my new number.’ It said. I saved the new number for future use.

We went home that evening and went towards the dining room for our supper.

“So how was your day?” mother started the conversation.

“The usual.” Father said.

“It was tiring.” I said.

“Oh well, that’s to be expected.” Mother replied. “By the way dear, tomorrow, Mrs. Choi invited me for a tea party. Please come with me.”

“What? But, you’ll just talk about business and I don’t-” I tried reasoning.

“It’s about time you learn our business! After all, you’ll not be a display after marrying Mr. Jung, you’ll become his business partner too! It would be embarrassing for our name if you don’t know how to do business. Starting today, you’ll be involved with our family business. Take responsibility as our daughter.” Father said. It was the first time he raised his voice. It means he’s really serious this time. Well, father never did joke when it comes to this matters.

“…Dae…”  said. I finished my meal and went to my room. I need to talk to someone. Someone who understands me.

I called unni’s new number.

“An-” I didn’t wait for unni  to greet me.

“Unni! Appa became more serious today... I’ll have less freedom now. What should I do?” I said.

“Seo…hyun?” a male voice came out. This voice… could it be?

“Kyuhyun?” I said trying to guess the man on the other side of the line.

“What the?! How’d you get my number?” he said.

“Unni gave me. She said this is her new number so I…. You have a phone?” I said.

“Yeah… Noona kind of bought it for me this afternoon.” He said.

“I see…” He has a phone now! I can hear his voice anytime!

“Yeah. And she lied again. What is she thinking? Is she planning something?” he said.

“I don’t know. Oh well, I guess I disturbed you so I’ll…” I’m about to cut the call when he said something.

“What do you mean less freedom? It’s not as if you’re free in the first place right?” he said.

He’s… right. I was never free even before! I… how did he know? And he remembered the first words I said on the phone…

“Hello? You still there?” he said.

“Ah… yes, mian… How did you know I was never free from my parents even before?” I asked.

“I know what people like you think. They’re all the same. For business, and for business. Well, I guess you and noona makes an exception. And also, you mentioned that you’re parents always disagree with you the other day at the amusement park.” He explained.

“I see… So rich people are very easily read, huh?” I commented.

“Not at all! I can never read noona’s mind you know.” He joked.

“Ha ha, you’re right. Me neither. She always does things that surprises me. But I envy her…” I said.

“Why would you envy her? She’s scary the way she is. Her looks can stop wars. And most of all, her smile can tame a devil!” he said with a scared voice.

“Ha ha ha… That was cruel of you!” I said while laughing.

“But it made you happy just now, right?” He said.

I blushed at his statement. “Ye-ye-yes… Kamsa hamnida!” I replied.

“It’s ok. Don’t feel burdened because of your parents. You’re not their servant, if you don’t like what they say to you then fight back.” He said.

“Yes… Well then, I think I should turn off the phone now. Goodnight.” I said and stopped the call. I did not wait for him to reply anymore. I can never fight back to them, Kyu… Not like Joo-unni. I’m envious of her strong will and courage. She, who once faced the situation I’m in, never gave in to fear and fought for freedom, but I can’t. That’s our difference.

“You really have it hard. But you know, things like that should not affect you anymore. How many times have it happened before? It’s not as if they would throw you out in the streets if you fail them every single time, right? But if they do, call me. I’ll be with you, no matter what time of day.” Unni said raising my face up to see her smiling. I smiled. “See? You’re beautiful when you smile like that.”

I smiled after remembering that. “It’s just business, not marriage or anything like that.”