Special Chapter, Joo's Circumstance Part 2

His and Her Circumstances

 

“So Mr. Cho, how’d you know it was a fake?” I  asked.

“You can call me Kyuhyun, Ms. Jung.” He replied.

“Well, then Kyuhyun. How?” I guess Kyuhyun’s alright. Like a brother.

“I burnt the original painting that he was selling you when I was young.”

“Burnt?!” Are you serious?! Who in their right minds would do something like that!

“Well, I didn’t know how valuable it was and it was just laying around the house so I used it to lit the firewood.”

“And how’d you come to possess something like that?”

“My father. It was his, Ms. Jung.” He remained silent. I guess everybody have their secrets. I won’t dig any further.

“Noona. You can call me noona. I like you better than my brother, Yonghwa. Don’t worry, I won’t give you to him.” I smiled. “And since he’s incapable of going with me tonight, I guess you’ll do.”

“Tonight?”

“Yes, tonight. I have to attend a party but I can’t find myself a substitute for my brother who you placed into the hospital. That’s why you’ll have to me instead.”

“What? Me? You know I hate rich people like you! Then going to a place full of those people I hate to the core? I don’t think so, Ms. Jung,” He instantly rejected.

“NOONA!!!” I corrected him. “And you can’t do anything. It’s an order from master to slave.”

I took him to a store to find him something to wear. Well, it took us some time to find something suitable. Then I went home to change. Then we went to a salon. After Kyuhyun’s makeover, I was taken aback. He looked like father! Nah~ It must be just a resemblance. How amazing how he can look so different with his highschooler look and the formal elegant look.

We went to the venue of the party. I went and greeted friends and business partners here and there. Kyuhyun looked bored so he went to a corner.

“Ms. Jung, is he your brother? It’s been a long time since I last saw him. He looked really handsome now is he?” An old family friend told me.

“Ani… He’s just escorting me for tonight’s party since my brother can’t come.” I corrected.

“Really? He’s not your brother? I thought he was! He kind of resembled your father. Sorry, it’s an honest mistake.” He apologized.

“Dae… He does looked… a little like… father.” I said. “Oh, I have to greet Mr. Park. Let’s talk later, alright?” I walked away to avoid making the topic go to somewhere unnecessary and went towards Kyuhyun. I pulled him away from the corner and took him with me to Mr. Park.

 “Joo!!! How nice of you to drop in!” Mr. Park said as soon as he saw me.

“Mr. Park. Thank you for inviting. And Happy birthday!” I said.

“Who’s this? Your lover? Quite young. But good-looking I say.” Mr. Park asked.

“This is Mr. Cho Kyuhyun. And he’s not my lover, Mr. Park. He’s just escorting me for this party since my brother can’t come.” I said defended quickly. Do I look like someone who would go after guys my brothers age?

“Oh yeah? Sorry about that. Well then Mr. Cho, is there anything you can give this old man for his birthday?” he turned to Kyuhyun.

“Mr. Park, I have not asked him to prepare any-” What are you planning?

“Anything, child?” Mr. Park cut me and insisted on asking Kyuhyun for any gift. It seems like he knew he’s not rich and is mocking him.

“Well, if there is anything I could give you, would you accept a song?” He said.

“A song? I like songs. Do you play piano? A song with only voice is great, but with musical accompaniment, better. Don’t you agree?” He said.

“Of course. Any song request?” He said. Stop! What are you doing? Are you trying to embarrass yourself?

“Anything child. Anything.” He said then showed him to the stage where a grand piano sits.

“Ladies and Gents, my friend here would like to offer us all a little entertainment. Let us listen to the song he’d offer us.” Mr. Park announced to everyone in the main hall. All attention focused on him. Please don’t embarrass yourself!

He started playing the piano skillfully then when he started singing, it actually sounded amazing. Now I’m really confused. Didn’t you say you hated the upper society? Then how come you know if an art is authentic or not? How come you play piano as if you’ve been playing it since small? How come?

He finished the song and after shaking Mr. Park’s hand, he went down and went towards me.

“I never thought you could actually do that. You’re making it harder and harder to believe you’re not one of us. Since this afternoon, you’ve been giving me a lot of surprises.” I said.

“Thanks for the compliment, but I never would have dreamed of being part of your world.” He said bluntly. Then vanished from sight again.

I chatted with friends for a while then got tired so I felt like breathing some fresh air. I went outside and saw a very sad and lonely Seohyun.

“Parties are suppose to be enjoyable, isn’t it?” I said as I approach her.

 “Unni!!!” She said with happiness and relief.

“What’s with that look? You’re destroying your beautiful face. You know that girls are prettier when they smile.” I tried cheering her.

“I flunked at Music Class again. I don’t know how I’ll be able to make my parents say they’re proud of me anymore.” She said.

“You really have it hard. But you know, things like that should not affect you anymore. How many times have it happened before? It’s not as if they would throw you out in the streets if you fail them every single time, right? But if they do, call me. I’ll be with you, no matter what time of day.” I said raising her face up to see me face to face. I smiled then she smiled back. “See? You’re beautiful when you smile like that.”

“Unni… Why are you so kind to me? Is it because I’m your brother’s fiancé?” She asked quite worried.

“I’ve… always wanted a sister. But God gave me a brother who thinks he controls the whole world. I’d even wish that Kyuhyun was my brother. I’m a bad sister, am I?” I confessed.

“Kyuhyun?” She looked confused.

“The one my brother nearly killed. I am really grateful of that incident. You can never judge a person by its appearance. I never thought he could play the piano and sing like that. Really unexpected.” I said.

 “Unni, if ever-”

“JooHyun, let’s g home. Ms. Jung, please excuse us.” Mr. Seo interrupted.

“Of course, Mr. Seo, Let’s talk some other time, okay?” I said to her.

“Dae unni!” She said and followed her parents towards the car.

“What were you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked me.

“Nothing. I was chatting with Seohyun a while ago. But they have to leave so I felt like resting for a while.” I answered.

“Seohyun?” He asked.

“She’s my brother’s fiancé. Remember the girl with my brother yesterday during the incident?”

 “Oh her. I remember. But noona, I still have classes tomorrow. So I better go home now.” He said.

“I never thought bullies study.” I said. I nearly forgot you’re still studying. Maybe I should send him home.

“You never thought I could sing and play the piano, too.” He reminded me.

“Right. Okay then. I’ll tell the driver to drop you off your house. I’ll pick you again tomorrow after school, okay?” I said and smiled.