Her Circumstance, Fun Times Don't Last

His and Her Circumstances

 

It was already dark so Kyuhyun thought that I should be going home.

“Let’s call for a cab.” He said.

“Oh. Yes. Right! Thanks for the wonderful day!” I said.

We stared at each other for some time. Why do I feel disappointed now that I have to go home? But I have to, or else my parents would be angry again. Then a group passed by us and bumped my back hard. I lost my balance and was going straight for the ground. I mentally prepared to hit the ground and closed my eyes. This is gonna hurt!

I fell.  Did I?

I opened my eyes to see that I did fell. But not on the ground. I fell on top of Kyuhyun. I mean, I’m literally on top! I’m so close to him! I could even feel his breath!

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Dae?!” I answered immediately.  I can smell him. Ah! ert me! Stop it this instant!

“Good thing I reacted fast. What would happen if you hit the ground?” He said relieved.

We stayed silent now for some second when my cellphone rang. I suddenly realize that we’re still on the same embarrassing position when I fell. So I stood up quickly and turned around to hide my blush. I think he realized it too that’s why he had his back on me. To fill in the tension, I answered the call.

“Annyeong hasseyo?” I said. I forgot to check who called.

“So what happened? Are you enjoying my ‘gift’?” the voice on the other side said. It was Joo-unni. And she sounded really excited.

“What do you mean what happened!?” I panicked. Did she saw us? Is she here somewhere? I’m so embarrassed right now!

“I did told the driver to take you to a park. Did he not do it?” She said. So she did not see after all!

“Oh. He did bring us here. What are you thinking unni?” I asked her.

“You did not like it? Perhaps I should have asked the driver to take you somewhere else.” She replied.

“Well… I am thankful…” I said softly so that Kyuhyun won’t hear.

“So you did like it! I knew it! So did you two already kissed? Or something more intimate?” She said really happily from the other side.

“Yah! What do you mean by that?” I asked while blushing.

“Nevermind. I already told the driver to pick you up. He’s just on the other street so I guess he’ll arrive in a few minutes.” She said changing the flow of our conversation.

“Ah. Thank you unni!” I said.

“No problem.” She said then hung up.

“That was Noona, wasn’t it?” Kyuhyun said as soon as I turned off the phone.

“Ah. Yes! She said that the car will pick us here any minute now.” I said.

“That’s good then.” He answered while smiling with relief. Then the car finally appeared. The driver said sorry to us. He said that it was what Unni instructed him. He drove me home and this time, it was really our house. I went directly to my room when I arrived. Nobody came to greet me. I guess they still have some business going on. I was lost in my thoughts when someone knocked on the door.

“Young miss, are you inside?” it was a maid.

“Dae. I am!” I said. She went inside and bowed.

“Your parents have just arrived. They summon you for dinner.” She said politely then exited the room. I followed her and went to the dining hall. I saw my parents looking quite down. So I went directly to my seat and waited for them to break the silence.

“So how’s your day?” my mother asked.

“It was okay. I’m quite tired. We went from one shop to another.” I lied, partially. I did go with them earlier.

“I see.” My mother said. The atmosphere has become really weird today. They would usually scold me never to do that again, or what happened at school, or something like that.

“What happened? You two looked down.” I finally asked.

“Everything that we’ve done is for you, JooHyun. We did everything. But it seems like business isn’t going to well and-” mother started to explain but father stopped her.

“Just make sure you graduate as first. Then marry the son of the president of Jung International. No matter what happens, this engagement must not be broken. You understand, do you?” Father said bluntly. It looks like the business is starting to fall and my marriage to Yonghwa is the only thing that would prevent it. I’m really unlucky am I?

“Of course father.” I said trying to console his depression.

“It is not a matter whether you love him or not, my dear. Love is just something which will be a burden to you someday. But Mr. Jung is likable. I’m sure that you’ll feel something for him someday.” Mother said smiling to me. They don’t care about me at all. They only care for business. She does not need to rub it in. I already know that I have no choice in this matter. Why remind me of something like that. Before, I’d say, I’m sure I’ll like him someday. But now, I’ve met someone…

“Yes mother. I guess I should go to my room now. I’m tired. Goodnight, appa, umma.” I said trying to hold my tears. I went to my room and locked it. Coincidentally, my cellphone rang. It was Joo-unni.

“Are you home already?” She asked.

“Unni… I…” I said while crying.

“What happened? Did your parents found out what I did?” She asked worried.

“I really can’t be with him, unni… I really” I said trying to suppress the pain.

“Is this about my brother?” She said. It seem like she realize what my problem is.

“What should I do? I don’t want to defy and disappoint my parents.”

“Stop crying. Be strong Seo. Forget about this first. Graduation is still far, right? You won’t marry until you graduate. Maybe by that time, we can think of something for your happiness.” Unni said cheering me up.

“I don’t know if I should still keep my hopes up. I’m really miserable, am I?”

“Please don’t say that.”

“I wish I never rode with Yonghwa to school the other day. I wish we never nearly killed Kyuhyun the other day. I wish I never got to know him. I wish I’m not suffering this much now.” I said bursting to total sadness.