His Circumstance, An Unexpected Phone Call

His and Her Circumstances

 

I headed home as soon as Seohyun reached their home. When I arrived, Umma was sitting on a chair waiting for me.

“Can you tell me now what happened the other day?” she said.

“I’m tired. And I don’t see the need to tell you.” I said trying to avoid her.

“That lady the other day. Who is she?” she asked.

“She’s just my employer. I’ll be working for them for a year, didn’t you heard?” I said heading for my room. She grabbed my arm to stop me from going further.

“What?!” I said annoyed.

“Stay away from her and her family. It will do you no good. Have you forgotten what happened to your father?” she said to me while trying to suppress a strong emotion.

“That’s for me to decide.” I said shaking off her grip and went to my room without wasting any moment.

“Stop saying that as if I don’t have a say! Not only are they rich, they’re also Jung!” I heard umma say faintly outside my room before she started crying. How’d she even know they were Jung? The principal might have told her.

The next day, I was surprised to see myself waiting for no one. Did they forget me or is it my day off today? Seems like I was free today so I decided to walk home. I decided to use the long cut for today. That means, I’ll walk through the busy supermarket. Why not? I have nothing else to do. And I have nothing to buy.

It was a busy day at the supermarket. I should have checked the schedule. People from us, the lower class, and some from the middle class and few from the upper class have all gathered today for the ultimate sale. They have displayed the rarest items as if it was a public gallery for people with money and people who need money. I walked through the crowd avoiding the merchant’s ads as I pass them.

I walkd swiftly away from the crowd. Really a bad choice to come here. I need to go home fast. I suddenly stopped walking when I saw in the corner of my eyes, a porcelain plate, sold by an old woman.

“You have good eyes, mister.” The woman remarked when I approached her booth. “Are you here to shop?”

“Not really. I’m just passing by.” I said.

“Why did you come near my stall then?” She inquired.

“I was curious why no one’s coming here when your goods are obviously a good trade.”I said.

“People usually believe what they hear even if what they hear is false.” The old woman said. “You have a bright future ahead of you.”

I nodded then went back to my tracks. Strange woman. Is she a fortune teller?

As I was about to exit, I saw Seohyun with a group of those high class people radiating the aura ‘I’m rich, if you’re not wealthier than me, move away, I’m coming through’. They must be here for the grand sale. I wanted to talk to her but she seemed busy and didn’t notice me.

“Don’t just stare, approach her.” A voice from somewhere said. “If you don’t want to, then start walking already, you’re blocking my way.”

I looked behind me and saw the person who was talking to me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked. It was noona.

“That’s my line.” She said.

“This is another route home, since you didn’t pick me up, I decided to go home.” I explained.

“Oh. They must have come late. It’s really bothersome if I can’t give you order directly. Give me your cellphone. I’ll add myself to your contacts.” Noona said while putting out her hand.

“Do I really look like someone who can afford things like that?” I said quite annoyed.

“You don’t have a cellphone?!” She looked surprised.

“Sorry to say, but I don’t. Did I disappoint you?” I said pointing out that I’m poor.

“Nevermind then. I’ll buy you one. Good thing we’re in the market.” She said while having a very wide smile on her face then she walked towards a stall selling electronic gadgets. She looked at each phone they got on display. Then she took a black phone, bought it and went back to me.

“What?” I said puzzled.

“My gift to you. I’ve stored my number there already. I assume you already know how to use one?” She asked me.

“Of course! I’m not that ignorant!” I said.

“Good!” she smiled again. Her smile. Whenever I see it I feel a chill running down my spine.

She motioned for me to follow her so I did. All afternoon, all she did was buy things here and there. Total waste of money. But she never buy anything without asking me. I wonder why?

“What do you think of these?” She said pointing to the things in a stall.

“Ugly. Total waste of money. Buying that would do you no good.” I said trying to stop her from buying everything.

“I see.” Then she went to another. She’ll always ask me and then buy things I said, it’s ok or I say it’s good.

“I’ve bought plenty! I’m so happy!” Noona said.

“You nearly bought the whole place.” I remarked.

“Well then. That’s all for today. I’ll tell you my next orders through mail from now on. Go home now!” She said with a big fat smile on her face.

I did as she says. I went home and directly to my room. I don’t want umma bothering me again today. I feel tired today even though I did nothing really heavy and tiring today. I decided to take a bath. I felt really refreshed afterwards. I was about to sleep after that when my phone started ringing. The number was unknown. Who could it be? I thought noona already entered her number? Well, this must be her since she’s the only one who knew my number.

“An-” I was about to greet noona emotionlessly when the other side of the line cut me.

“Unni! Appa became more serious today... I’ll have less freedom now. What should I do?” the other side of the line said quite sadly.

WHAT THE?!