His Circumstance, Invitation to a Ball

His and Her Circumstances

 

I was an ordinary, poor, bully highschooler yesterday. But because of an accident I did not cause, I became a part time all-around slave for the guy-at-fault’s sister.

Flashback:

I was walking home from the next day after the accident occurred. It was like the usual. I’ve bullied another nerd before going home and it made my day. Then suddenly, two cars parked beside me and the guy-I-beat’s sister came out of the first car. Oh yeah! I have to work for them. Great.

“Mr. Cho, please come with me now. Ride the other car. Your uniform is in there. Hurry now, we’ll be late!” the woman said.

“Late for what? Uniform? What the-” I tried to make excuses when one of the bodyguards from the other went out of the second car and pulled me inside. The two cars started to move towards an unknown destination.

“Change to your uniform now. By the way, call her Ms. Jung from now on. We’re going to a business meeting and all you need to do is stand beside us and stay quiet. We’ll if you made a noise, I’ll be glad to silence you up.” The man who pulled me in said.

“Alright.” I said with annoyance. The uniform they were talking about was a suit. Like any private bodyguards you see in movies. A black suit, with black ties, well, without the sunglasses. “Aish! You people spend too much money! This uniform is even more expensive than our annual home rental!”

“Now, at least you understand how powerful the person you beat is. But don’t worry. You’ll serve under Ms. Jung. Now wear it already.”

I wore the uniform and kept quiet. We arrived at the destination and I just stood there as instructed.

End of Flashback.

“This piece is the authentic work of Shen Zhou, Ms. Jung.” The man across Ms. Jung said.

“I see. A really rare item.” Ms. Jung tried to examine the painting.

‘This is boring. Is she a painting fan? Buying paintings like that at super high price just to display it in their house. Waste of money. Rich brats are rich brats.’ I thought while looking at them talking.

“You see, I have a difficult time acquiring it. I went through a lot of auctions. This is a very rare piece and you’re the very first one I’m showing it to.” The man continued.

‘Yeah right! Authentic you say! Ha! Only fools would fall for that. That’s not even near the original work!’ I remarked at his statement.

“I’m very honored. I am thinking of doing business here. How much would you like to sell it to me?” Ms. Jung asked.

I literally fell at her statement and bumped the vase beside me and made a lot of noise, but I reacted fast to avoid breaking it. I sighed a sigh of relief and placed the vase back in its place. I realize that the whole room is looking at me. Great!

“Well, let’s just ignore him. He’s new.” Ms. Jung said and everybody else started removing their gaze from me.

‘Fool. Fool. Fool. Ani- Stupid I say! How can you even believe that that is the real thing?’ I sigh and stayed quiet in my place. ‘I shouldn’t involve myself any further.’

“This piece is very difficult to obtain. But I guess one million dollars is enough to compensate.” The man said.

“That’s a low price for it, don’t you think? But  I guess it’s not that expensive anymore.” Ms. Jung said.

‘One million dollars for a fake! Hey, hey, stupidity has its limits you know.’ I tried to contain my thoughts but my conscience is getting the better of me.

“Ms. Jung, don’t you think you’re wasting your money in buying that?” I finally said. I’ll be dead for sure but, man, why do I have to do the good deeds now?

“Pardon me? This is a very rare piece and you say it’s a waste?” the man asked me.

“Please forgive him. We’ll take him outside immediately.” The bodyguard beside me started pulling me out.

“Wait. Let him finish. I’m interested to what he has to say.” Ms. Jung ordered her bodyguard to stop pushing me out? I nearly killed her brother yet she’s treating me as if I didn’t offend their family.

“What do you mean? He looks like someone who doesn’t value art.” The man complained.

“He has reasons for butting in. Is there, Mr. Cho?” She looked at me as if telling “Make a good excuse for your actions or you’ll really die.”

“Well, first of all, that painting is suppose to be painted during the Mung Dynasty? Meng? Either way, China didn’t have that smooth paper before. How can that be anything but real?” I reasoned out.

“True. And it’s Ming. I never knew you were knowledgeable on these things.” She said with amusement on her face. It seems I triggered her curiosity.

“Wha- Ms. Jung I…” the man said looking worried.

“Don’t mention it Mr. Kale, I guess our business here is done. Don’t look too worried. You should be thankful to that brat, if I have brought it before I knew its fake, who knows?” Ms. Jung said with a devilish smile and stood up and left the room. Her bodyguards followed her so I followed too. Before leaving the room, I think I heard a faint DAMN.

I returned to the second car when Ms. Jung called out.

“Ride in my car. I want to ask you some things.” She said. I obeyed. Why do I keep following her orders? I really hate these rich people always making us poor do what they want. But she does not radiate the ugly attitude the wealthy have even though she acts too high and mighty. I feel like I knew her. Nah~ It must be flu. I need to check if I have it later.

“So Mr. Cho, how’d you know it was a fake?” Ms. Jung asked.

“You can call me Kyuhyun, Ms. Jung.” I replied.

“Well, then Kyuhyun. How?”

“I burnt the original painting that he was selling you when I was young.”

“Burnt?!”

“Well, I didn’t know how valuable it was and it was just laying around the house so I used it to lit the firewood.”

“And how’d you come to possess something like that?”

“My father. It was his, Ms. Jung.”

“Noona. You can call me noona. I like you better than my brother, Yonghwa. Don’t worry, I won’t give you to him.” She said with a smile. “And since he’s incapable of going with me tonight, I guess you’ll do.”

“Tonight?”

“Yes, tonight. I have to attend a party but I can’t find myself a substitute for my brother-who-you-placed-into-the-hospital. That’s why you’ll have to me instead.”

Oh Great!!!