His Circumstance, What's in the Bag?

His and Her Circumstances

 

I didn’t even sleep a wink last night. It’s not because it’s cold at night, it’s not because I can hear the waves so loud in my ear. It is because I don’t know what might happen to Seohyun who is helpless inside the tent if somebody would come. I’m glad nothing bad happened. But really, how can she be so enthusiastic?

“So how is it?” She asked again. She twirled around for me to get a better picture.

“Simple I guess.” I commented on the pinkish white dress she is wearing.

“Really? And I thought it’s cute.” She pouted. I think you’re cute.

“Why are you shopping clothes?” I asked.

“Because I don’t have any. And besides, they’ll just give it to us for free, right?” She giggled.

“Yeah, I guess so.” I replied.

“I’ll find another one.” She said and smiled. She went back and looked for another dress to try on.

I was busy looking at her search for a dress when my cellphone rang.

“Dae? Annyeong?” I said. There was a long paused then the other side of the line finally spoke. It was a male voice.

“Kyunie?” the voice asked. No one ever calls me by that nickname except one person, Eunhyuk-hyung.

“Hyung! How did…?” I replied.

“Joon-ah gave me after I asked him. So you really did have a cellphone. But, oh well, I was worried because when I came to visit home, you weren’t there. Mother was worried about you too.” He said.

“Umma? Impossible. She’ll never worry about me.” I said.

“Kyunie, you’re the only one who thinks that. Mother loves you as much as she loves us.” He said.

“I never felt any love at all.” I said quite mad at how the conversation is flowing.

“That’s because you closed your heart to her. But, forget about that for now. Where are you and when will you be back?” he asked.

“I guess the day after tomorrow. I don’t know where I am but I promise you, I’m not in danger.” I replied.

“Oh well, then I’ll stay with umma till you get back. By the way, isn’t your birthday tomorrow?” He asked.

“Ah! I forgot about that. But then, I can’t celebrate with you. I’m working.” I said quite sad.

“We can always have an after party.” He said. Then Seohyun went out of the dressing room. It seems like she was looking for me.

“Hyung, I have to go back now. It’s nice talking to you. Really.” I said.

“I know. We all do miss each other a lot. But, well then, I’ll hung up now. Bye.” He said.

“Bye.” Then the call ended. I went towards Seohyun and looked at the dress she picked this time. It was a bluish tube dress which is neither fancy nor simple. It was elegant yet understated. It was y at the same time conservative. It fitted her well.

“That dress suits you.” I said with a smile.

“Ka-kamsa!” She said. “I thought this wouldn’t suit me because it’s very different from the ones I usually wear.”

“It is different, because you’re the one who picked this dress, not your mother.” I said.

“How did you know?” She asked.

“Just a hunch.” I said. It’s quite obvious. The dress you wore at the party that one time don’t seem to fit you. So I’m sure it was your mother’s choice.

“Well, I’m really glad you liked it.” She said. “Ne, why don’t we pick one for you too?”

“Ani ani… I don’t need many clothes.” I said refusing the offer.

“Don’t worry, you won’t pay for anything.” She said then went and looked at the shelves. She asked me every now and then about my size. She’ll get one and look at the garment for ten seconds then return. It went on for some time.

“Here, try this on.” She said giving me, finally, her choice. It was simple. A denim pants, white printed shirt and grayish vest. I went and tried it. I saw myself staring at the mirror. It was simple yet a rich radiating aura comes with it.

“It suited you!” She said with amazed eyes. “Well, it’s quite simple. But it didn’t hurt your charm.”

“Thanks. But really, there’s no need for me to buy new clothes.” I said.

“Well, you see…” She started. “Well… Nevermind. Come, let’s get out wearing these. I’m quite hungry now. We left the beach quite late already and it’s nearly lunch now. We didn’t get to eat breakfast.” She said.

“You’re right. You must be really hungry by now then. Let’s find some place to eat.” I said then started walking out the door.

“Why? Aren’t you hungry too?” She said quite embarrassed.

“Well, this isn’t a new experience for me. I usually don’t eat.” I said quite embarrassed.

“I’m sorry… Did I offend you in some way?” she asked quite worried.

“Not at all. Come, let’s eat.” I said then headed out of the store. She followed behind me quietly. I saw a restaurant quite near. Hmmm… I wonder if noona would also be the one to pay when we eat in that expensive looking resto

Just when I went towards the restaurant, Seohyun suddenly went towards a street vendor near the sidewalk across the restaurant. It looked as if she’s a local of the island was not placed as a spy by noona. I can’t seem to make out what she was selling because Seohyun is blocking the stall. She looked excited even though I can only see her back.

“But… Really? Kamsahamnida! Really, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.” I can hear her squeal from afar. What could it be?

She then went towards me while carrying a paper bag. She’s smiling so happily that I can’t find it anywhere in me to scold her for running anywhere without him. Why do I feel possessive all of a sudden?

“What’s in the bag?” I asked.

“I… I actually don’t know. It’s the first time I saw it. But it just smelled too good that I can’t stop myself from taking a look. Here…” She said then lifted up the bag. She opened the bag for me to see the contents. The steam from the bag scattered in the air and I smelled a very familiar scent of food.