I Don't Know

Please

“I love you, Kwon Haerin.”

I froze in my position.

This can’t be happening, right?

“Yeah.” Kikwang smiled sheepishly. “The girl I’ve been admiring is you, Haerin-ah.”

My heart was beating faster as I couldn’t figure out how to react after Kikwang’s confession. My breath became short and I felt like the world had stopped spinning.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

“Kikwang--“

“I know this is my fault that I let you slip from my hand.” he looked down and swayed his left foot. “I’m too late, aren’t I?”

“Kikwang, you--“

“No need to cheer me up.” he looked up and flashed me a bitter smile. “I’m happy as long as you’re hap--”

“LEE KIKWANG, LISTEN TO ME!” I yelled to shut him up. My tears were waiting to fall but I just couldn’t let it happen. “Why didn’t you tell me in the first place?”

“B-- Because… I was…”

“Afraid?”

“Ani.” Kikwang shook his head.”I was sure that you deserved someone better.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“You’re one of a kind, Haerin-ah. You’re different from any other girl in this world. And me? I can only make you sad, worried, and so on. All bad. You deserve someone better than me.”

I slapped him. Hard.

“W--“

“You’re not the same Lee Kikwang I know. This isn’t you.” I shook my head. “You’re not my best friend.”

He looked dumb. “I’m Kikwang.”

“No. I don’t know who you are. The Kikwang I know is someone who is confident with himself, not a coward like you.” I took a deep breath then walked away. Just when I was about to leave the room, I turned around. “You weren’t late until you said I deserved someone better.”

 

^^^^^

 

“Son Haerin.”

I lifted my head up from my big dining table only to see Dongwoon looked at me, smiling widely. It was still six in the morning but he looked good already, I hadn’t even taken a bath yet. I forced a small smile. “Hey.”

He was a bit surprised. “You aren’t… angry?”

“Why should I?” I sat up straight and stretched my arms up in the air.

“I called you ‘Son Haerin’.” he took a seat next to me and placed his chin on his palm, tilting his head. “Is something wrong?”

I chuckled. This boy is really something.

He nodded. “It is. Malhaebwa~”

“It’s nothing.”

“It’s something.”

“Dongwoon.”

“Haerin.”

I sighed in defeat. No way could I win against this smart boy. “It’s all about Kikwang.”

“He did what?” he asked casually, but I could sense that he was surprised. He took a slice of bread and put strawberry jam on it. He took a bit of his bread and smiled like a child.

“He confessed.”

Dongwoon coughed hard. I patted his back and gave him a glass of water. He drank it in one go and slightly hit his chest. “I’m okay. Thanks.”

“You scared me!” I rolled my eyes and sat back on my chair.

Silence.

Dongwoon cleared his throat. “So?”

“So what?”

“What was your answer?”

“I gave no answer because he didn’t ask me out.”

He gave me ‘what-the-hell-did-you-say’ look then opened his mouth to say something but he closed it again. “How do you feel now?”

“Miserable.” I looked down and smiled bitterly. “It feels like I have no luck at all in this life. Every decision I make is always wrong.”

“Do you…” Dongwoon looked hesitant. “still love Kikwang hyung?”

Then it hit me. The question Dongwoon asked made my brain stop working. Do I still love Kikwang? Do I?

“I… don’t know.”

“If you still love Kikwang hyung, I’ll let you go. Hyung and you love each other, who am I to be the one who is separating you two?”

“Dongwoon--“

“Let’s break up.”

“Dong--“

“It’s okay, Haerin-ah.”

I shook my head no. “It’s not okay at all.”

“I’ll say that it was me who wanted to break up.”

“But--“

 

“Don’t.”

 

That voice. It stopped my heartbeat for a few seconds.

Groggily, I looked at the owner of that voice who was standing by my kitchen door. The last person I wanted to see in this situation.

Kikwang.

My ing best friend, Lee Kikwang.

Hearing his voice in this situation sent chills down my spine. Like seriously.

“Don’t break up with her.” Kikwang said, walked closer to where Dongwoon and I were sitting. He smiled. “Break up with her and you’ll break her heart too.”

“Hyung--“

I gathered all my courage to speak up. “How long did you stand there?”

“Huh?”

“I’m asking how long did you stand there?”

“The moment Dongwoon said “Let’s break up.”, waeyo?”

I secretly sighed in relief. He didn’t hear the part when Dongwoon said Kikwang and I loved each other.

“Hyung, you don’t know--“

I stepped on Dongwoon’s foot before he could tell Kikwang whatever he wanted to tell. Kikwang looked at me confused but I just looked away.

“HAERIN! HAERIN!” Saeyeon’s voice suddenly echoed in my house. A moment after that, she appeared in my kitchen door, panting.

“What’s wrong?”

I was sure she didn’t realize that Kikwang was there as she blurted out. “Eunsoo figured out that you loved Kikwang, not Dongwoon.”

 

====================

*deep bows*First, I want to say that I'M SO SO SO SO SORRYYYYYYYYYY for updating just now. I was hospitalized and mom didn't let me touch my lappie even once. I also forgot that I had this on-going story. *smacks my own head* Hence I couldn't update anything until now. :(

And for those who have been so faithful to me, I thank you. You guys are the best! :')

 

TEASER!

"Now, who will you choose?"

I smiled at the two smiling boys. "The one with the ice cream."