It Hurts

Please

“People who are meant to be together always find their way in the end. If it’s not meant to be, then it won’t happen.” Hyunseung took a sip of his coffee and patted my head. I told him the whole story between me and Kikwang and that was his conclusion. I met him in the lobby earlier and dragged him to this café after having a little fight with Kikwang in the hallway. Saeyeon’s mom called so she had to go home, leaving me here.

“But--“

“You love Kikwang, don’t you?”

I froze. Me? Kikwang? Oh hell no.

“Kick that ‘best friend’ title away. You love him, right?”

I could only blink, my brain couldn’t work properly.

“I may not know you for a long time, but I can tell you this. The way you look at Kikwang, the way you act when he’s around, it shows that you love him.”

“I… don’t know anything about love.”

Hyunseung smirked and leaned back on the back rest. “You don’t know what love is but you know how to love. How funny.”

I looked down on my shoes and bit my lower lip. Am I really in love with my best friend?

“So, have you met Joonkun hyung?”

I lifted my head up and shook it. “No. Why?”

“Well, he asked Kikwang about that kiss thingy and your best friend explained it. Hyung said this could be worse than when people found out you had ice cream party with us last month. He also said he would solve this kissing problem but he would ask you first. That’s why Kikwang called you to come to Cube.”

“Huh? W--”

Hyunseung lifted his hands up. “Whoops. Don’t ask me. I know nothing.”

I heard the ring on the door clanged and I saw two people in disguise walked in. I rolled my eyes, knowing who they were. Kikwang and Joonkun.

I mouthed ‘how could they know that we’re here?’ to Hyunseung and he just waved his phone at me, non-verbally telling me that he texted them about our whereabouts since I didn’t saw him making any phone call earlier.

“Hi, Haerin.” Joonkun greeted me, sat across me and Kikwang took a seat next to him. Both of them took their scarves and hats off at the same time.

I bowed slightly. “Annyeong.”

“Let’s get to the point. Well, I’d like to tell you something and I do hope you will agree.”

I raised my eyebrows in reply.

He looked around the café and after making sure that no one was here but us and the employee in the kitchen, he leaned in and whispered. “People are now curious about whom Kikwang was kissing with and we can’t easily tell them that it was you who is Kikwang’s best friend, it’s like throwing you to lion’s cage. They would think ‘best friends do not kiss on the lips’ and start bombarding questions to our company about that. They might hurt you too as well. Besides, I hope you haven’t forgotten about the news a month ago. Remember the news about B2ST had ice cream party with you and people mistaken you as Kikwang’s girlfriend? In order to cover you up, I’ve decided to let public know that Kikwang is dating Jinhee and it was actually her who was having ice cream party with B2ST and kissing with Kikwang.”

I felt the world stop spinning and a big stone dropped down on my head. “Why Jinhee?”

“Well, people know that Kikwang and Jinhee are friends. Besides, Jinhee often comes to B2ST’s events and it can help us to make an alibi that Kikwang and she are dating.”

I was speechless. This man in front of me wanted to use Jinhee?

“So?” he asked.

“How about Jinhee? Isn’t she in danger too?”

“Fans prefer seeing their idol dating someone from the same world.” he emphasized the word “world”. “Both Kikwang and Jinhee are from entertainment world. Kikwang is a singer and Jinhee is a model. Even though there will be some issue about this, I’m sure it would be gone in a snap.”

I felt Hyunseung grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed it, encouraging me. Now after knowing that I have feelings for Kikwang, I found it hard to face a situation like this.

“And… I’d like to ask for your permission because I know you guys are best friends since a long long long time ago and I know how important Kikwang is for you.” he breathed out. “You know how people act when they’re dating, right? Hugging, holding hands, kissing… that’s what they’re gonna do in public. Kikwang won’t have chances to meet you like before. He has to meet Jinhee more than he meets you. I hope you don’t mind if I take away Kikwang from you for a while.”

I gulped. KILL ME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW!

“I’ve discussed this with Jinhee and she agreed. And for Kikwang… he will say yes if you’re okay with this. I’ll introduce you to public as Kikwang’s best friend two weeks after I announce Kikwang and Jinhee are dating so people wouldn’t be suspicious if Kikwang is being seen with you. I want people to focus on Kikwang’s relationship with Jinhee.”

I squeezed Hyunseung’s hand a bit hard, silently distributing my emotion.

“So?” Joonkun questioned me again.

“Okay. I agree, as long as people won’t realize that it was me. Go make stories up and trick people, I don’t care.”

His face brightened. “Oh thank you, Haerin! I knew you would agree to this. I’ll call you when it’s time to introduce you.”

I forced a smile and glanced at Kikwang who was looking at me in disbelief. He stood up and grabbed my wrist, pulling me up. He dragged me out from the café to the deserted park behind it.

“Aww!” I yelped in pain. “Yah! Let go, Kiki. It hurts!”

He turned at me and I could see the anger in his eyes. “Are you crazy?”

I yanked my hand away. “I’m sane, Lee Kikwang.”

“THEN WHY DID YOU AGREE, HUH?”

“WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? DO YOU WANT ME TO CONFESS TO PUBLIC THAT IT WAS ME AND GET ATTACKED BY FANS OUT THERE? DO YOU WANT ME TO HEAR PEOPLE BADMOUTHING ME? IF PEOPLE KNEW IT WAS ME WHO WAS AN ORDINARY GIRL, I’M SURE THEY WOULD BE SO CRAZY.” I scoffed. “NO WAY, KIKI! I HAVE MY LIFE! I LOVE MY PEACEFUL LIFE!”

“This decision will hurt Jinhee too, Haerin! In fact, she has no relation with this problem yet she has to sacrifice for you.”

“So what?” I laughed bitterly. “Oh, I see. Now you’re standing up for her. It’s a good thing to stand up for your girlfriend.”

“I don’t have a girlfriend!” he clenched his fist tight, trying to hold his anger. “I prefer being seen with you than faking a relationship with Jinhee.”

“WHAT? Kiki, you know we’re not from the same level. You’re so popular out there while I doubt everybody in my university knows me. WE. ARE. DIFFERENT!”

I saw him tensed up but he did nothing. Oh, thanks God!

“Bye, Kiki.” I felt the tears started rolling down on my cheeks but I just ignored it. I turned around and ran as fast as I could.

Why do I have to love the wrong person?

 

^^^^^

 

I threw my body on to my bed, burying my head on my pillow. I cried my eyes out, screaming as loud as I could. What a long day.

! I didn’t know love would hurt this much. Now I know how my mom felt when my dad dumped her.

I felt my phone vibrated. I looked at the caller ID and heaved a sigh out.

Saeyeon.

“Yo *sniffs* boseyo.”

“Omo! Are you crying, Haerin?”

I sat up straight and wiped my tears away. “I would be lying if I said no.”

“Aigoooooo~ Do you want me to come to your house?”

“You don’t have to.” I smiled, knowing at least someone cared about me. “Why are you calling?”

“Hyunseung told me that you’ve discovered your feelings for Kikwang--”

“Don’t bring his name here.”

“Oops. Sorry.”

“Hmm.”

“Well, I was curious-- Oh! Someone is coming to my house. Talk to you later, Haerin!” was all she said before hanging up. I put my phone on my nightstand table and laid down on my bed. I closed my eyes, trying to erase everything about Kikwang from my mind. I sighed. Even though I don’t want to do that, but I have to.

I heard the rain started pouring down. Is heaven crying for me?

I walked up to my window and looked at the dark sky above. I silently prayed to God, asking for only the best thing that would happen in my life.

My eyes accidentally caught someone in disguise standing still in front of my gate and he was soaking wet. I squinted my eyes and realized that it was Dongwoon. I quickly ran downstairs, grabbing an umbrella on the way there. I opened it and ran to where Dongwoon was standing. He looked a bit surprised seeing me running to him but a small smile appeared on his face a second after that.

I opened my gate and let him in, pulling him underneath my umbrella. “What the hell are you doing, Woonie? You could have just entered my house. Now look at yourself! You’re soaking wet! How if you were also stalked?”

He chuckled halfheartedly. “I just felt like standing here somehow.”

“Aish. Babo.” I flicked his forehead but he just grinned. Both of us walked inside my house and I told him to wait in the kitchen. I came back to him, holding Kikwang’s clothes and two towels. I stood in front of Dongwoon who was sitting on a chair then covered his head with the small towel then rubbed it, drying his hair. “Babo, Woonie.”

I felt his arms slid around my waist and he pulled me closer to him. I was caught off guard and I felt my heartbeat increasing. Aigooooo~ What should I do?

He pressed his forehead against my stomach while hugging my waist and I continued drying his hair. Seriously, I don’t know why but I like this feeling. I felt something tickling inside my stomach but I didn’t know where it came from.

“Be strong, Haerin-ah.” I heard him whispered. He pulled away and looked up at me, letting the towel fell behind him. “I’ve heard it all from Hyunseung hyung about you liking Kikwang hyung. Umm… actually… I sorta forced him to tell me.”

“I’m okay, Woonie. Go change your clothes now before you catch a cold.” I smiled and patted his head. “You can wear Kikwang’s clothes. I have his clothes since he used to stay over here. He even has a room in this house.”

He nodded and went to my bathroom, bringing Kikwang’s clothes and the other towel with him. After changing his clothes into Kikwang’s, he came back to the kitchen. I wanted to laugh seeing him wearing Kikwang’s clothes. Well, you know… Kikwang’s body is… umm, yeah like that… and Dongwoon is taller, so… yeah. See? I can’t even explain it.

“I’ll dry your clothes. You go to the living room first.” I took his clothes away and put it in the dryer. After that, I went to the living room only to find Dongwoon watching a drama. I sat next to him on the couch and he turned his gaze to me. I smiled and he returned it.

“So, how long have you been falling in love with Kikwang hyung?” he asked, looking back at the screen in front of him.

“I don’t know. Besides… I’m not sure whether it’s really love or not. If it really is, I don’t know am I gonna love him forever or not. You know… Kikwang and I are best friends, so… I don’t want my friendship to be ruined because of this love thingy.” I chuckled.

“Everything in this life is temporary because everything changes. That’s why it takes great courage to love, knowing it might end anytime but having the faith it will last forever.”

I looked at the tall boy beside me in surprise. Did it really come from his mind? He could say something like that? Whoa!

“You’re lucky, Haerin. You love someone who is close to you, who cares about you, who knows you well, who will protect you from anything bad.”

I scoffed. “You don’t know how it feels to be craving for his hug but you can’t get it easily. You don’t know how it feels to be ditched by your best friend. There were times when I really needed him to calm me down but he was out for schedules. I celebrated my birthday alone for the past two years because he was so busy with his interviews and photoshoots. When I was sick, he didn’t visit me because he had to do some filming.”

“Can you keep a secret?”

I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

“Kikwang hyung was the one who begged our manager to let you stay in our apartment. He wanted to have more time with you.”

“What--“

“Try to think about it more. Why would he want to protect you by asking you to live with us when your identity wasn’t revealed yet?” he chuckled.

I gasped. Oh God! Dongwoon is right!

“He cares about you, Haerin. He always wants to share his happiness with you. He’s sad when you’re sad. Aren’t you happy because hyung has reached his dream?”

“Yes, I’m happy that now he’s a singer like what he has dreamt of.” I inhaled deeply, feeling the tears started to gather in my eyes. “But I also hate it, Woonie. Call me selfish, childish, or whatsoever but I hate that he has no time for me anymore. His schedule takes him away from me!”

My tears rolled down on my cheeks as Dongwoon pulled me in his embrace. “So… Doojoon hyung was right. The one who seems the strongest is sometimes the one who is in most need of a hug.”

I sobbed in his arms.

“You’re not alone, Haerin. You have me and the others here. Call us if you need anything.” he said, caressing my back.

I nodded, tears still streaming down on my cheeks.

Why does it feel so right to cry in his embrace? Somehow, I feel safe and calm whenever I’m in Dongwoon’s arms.

 

====================

Oh yeeeeeessssss finally I can update! kkkk~ I couldn't open aff yesterday or two days ago and I was sooooo frustated. ><

From now on, I'll try to update twice or thrice a week. Is it okay? :O

GO GO LEAVE COMMENTS HERE, GUYS! :D