Chapter 9

Hello, Stranger!

A FRIEND ►

 

 

Endlessly, I walked back and forth in the balcony while pondering about something. I stopped to look at the sunset in the far west, where my house is facing. Suddenly, some thoughts came to my mind.

 

 

 

I am 22 years old. I work as an assistant salesman in a convenience store. I live in a rural place so there has been rare opportunity  for more decent jobs. But even though opportunities seldom appear, I was happy and contented. Why? Because somebody taught me how to appreciate life through art. Together with him, I found my place in painting. I learned how to value every small thing that I had. It was him who urged me not to give up whenever I faced problems. It was him who recovered and redeemed me when I failed my exam to the national university. It was him who... kept me strong and became my guiding pillar. But lately, my desire to live was gone. The moment I knew that he was tortured and abandoned by his long time rival, I suddenly got weak and lifeless. Then I knew... I figured out that in exchange for all he did to me, I guess its time for me to pay him back. I am Kim Jonghyun. And I am determined to find him- the stranger for everyone's eyes, yet the lost friend in me.

 

 

 

 

"Jonghyun ah, seems like you're in deep thought..." I turned around to face the source of the voice.

"Omma,"

"Hm?"

"I think I'll be away for a few weeks." 

My mother has always been strict and kept secluding in her arms as if I am a prep kid. But I was shocked when she merely sighed and said, "Go on, son. I know that you're struggling on something. Follow what your heart says."

My gloomy day became bright all because of what she said. Now, I was more determined.

"Omma, I promise to myself I won't be back until I find him."

She just nodded and as a mother, she caressed and embraced me. "Take care, my son. I know you'll find him soon."

 

 

After packing the things which i would be needing for my "trip", my family sent me off to Jeju airport. With heavy hearts and hopeful feelings, we bid our goodbyes to each other. 

"Good luck on your journey, Jonghyun." My father said. I simply nodded and then boarded my plane.

 

Having besitted on one of the plane seats, I gathered my thoughts on what I was about to do. There's no going back Jonghyun. You already started, better end it. 

Then I felt the plane moving. We're going to Seoul.

 

 

"Passengers from Jeju Island, we are landing Seoul International Airport in less than 10 minutes."

That announcement from the speaker phones woke me up. It has already been 3 hours since we took off from Jeju. I just realized it now..... I'm really serious on what I'm doing. I'm going to a place I've never been to, people I've never met, situations that I could not possibly overcome. 

Sigh.

I could not imagine what future is waiting for me, here in this very place. S E O U L.

 

 

 

As soon as I came out of the airport, I hailed a taxi. 

"Where are we headed sir?" muttered the taxi driver. 

"Can you take me to the nearest police station?"

"Alright sir."

 

While we were crossing the highway, the taxi driver exclaimed, "You're on a vacation sir?" 

I fakedly nodded. 

"Then why go to a police station sir?"

I looked at him through the center mirror and smiled. "I'm on a vacation....... to find someone,"

"A-ah," he replied, feeling a bit awkward. "Is he some sort of criminal? Are you a detective then?"

"Hah, no. Just a friend--- a long lost friend."

 

 

Coincidentally, just when our conversation was getting deeper, we arrived at a police station.

 

 

 

"Excuse me...." I anxiously said to the officers on duty in the station.

"Yes?" one of them said.

"I just want to ask if you ever..... saw this man?" I asked as I pulled out 'his' picture and showed it to the officer.

"I don't think I recognize him...."

"R-Really? Was there then, any case of extortion or abandonment of a stranger? Like someone being tortured to death?"

"Try going to other precincts, they might have the person you're looking for. Go," the superior one muttered. "We don't entertain lost persons."

"B--but---," 

It was as if they threw me out of the building.

 

 

 

I found myself walking down the streets, desperately looking at the map of Seoul which I just bought a while ago.

 

 

 

I spent the whole afternoon looking through different police stations, but they are all saying the same thing. That is, "Sorry, but I think you got the wrong precinct. Try this and that, maybe you'll find him there."

 

 

After getting worn out from the day's events, I decided to have dinner at a fastfood house. And just when I was about to pay for the meal, I came across a familiar looking guy who happened to be paying also.

He was tall, dark and has a bunch of friends tailing behind him, laughing and having fun. I can't take a closer look at his face, because I felt like I don't have to. There is this strange aura that I have for his presence.

I tried to ignore him and the stranger feeling that I had, but what happened next clearly got the heck of me.

"3 servings of samgyupsal,"

The moment I heard him speak, lightning struck my body, then I froze. For a second, I could only feel my world turning and fading. His voice..... I clearly remember it.

 

"I want to win."

"There. You can have it."

 

Those were the very words he said to him, that day- the day of the National Painting Competition. The day when I lost track of my friend.

With fury eyes and a throbbing heart, I looked at him. "K-Kai,"

 

Fortunately, he didn't hear what I said and thanks God, I went back to my senses again.

"Here is your change sir," the cashier said.

Coincidentally, I stretched out my hand to receive the change, however Kai stretched out his palms also. He and his friends got silent for a while, and he now had a reason to look at me.

 

I gasped air, not knowing how will things turn out later.

 

He looked at me and grinned, "I think I'm wrong. Its your change."  

 

With eyes wide open, I replied, "Y-yeah. I also thought so," I grabbed the change from the cashier and went out the building.

Just when I realized that encounter, I ran as fast as I could, until I reached the train station. All I could think was revenge and hatred. I forgot that it was already past 6 pm and I need to catch the last train to Gangnam, where my aunt is living. 

 

And very fortunately, I caught the last train.

Reaching my breath, I stepped in the train which was veeeeeeeeery full with people. I felt like they were squeezing and suffocating me. Drenched with sweat, I tried to reach for something to hold on to. And just when I held someone else's arm, I out.

 

--

 

 

"I told you I didn't know what happened. He held my arms and for a moment I thought that he was some sort of ert! Not until he collapsed and fell on my back!"

"Its good that you managed to carry him outside the train. Haha,"

 

"Chanyeol, its even more good that you came across me, trying to carry him out of the train station."

"What now Lee Qri, should we bring him to the hospital?"

"Yeah. Call Jiyeon and tell her to prepare the emergency room."

 

 

*YAAAAAAAHOOOOOO! I updated again!!! There's a new character and its Jonghyun! He looks for his friend, the stranger, but will he be successful in finding him? Find out more in the next chapters! BTW, i will be updating more soon because its summmmeeerrrrrr!! :DD*