Chapter 17

Hello, Stranger!

TOUGH CHOICE►

A/N: Okay for everybody's convenience, I am still gonna use "Stranger's POV" for the revealed Kai and "Myungsoo's POV" for Krsytal's brother. Just keep in mind that the stranger has revealed himself as Kai so far and that Myungsoo is Krystal's brother. Thanks!

 

-Stranger's POV-

It has been 3 days since I've had an encounter with Krystal's brother, Myungsoo. Then, I never visited the hospital again and we didn't get to see each other. Jiyeon, of course, was seeing him daily. I don't know if she talks about me to Myungsoo because lately she's not been saying anything to me. Could it be because I didn't tell her my name and ends up knowing it from someone else?

 

 

 

It was morning and I was too lazy to get up from being lumped down on the couch. I've been hearing a couple of Hey's from Jiyeon but I have not bothered to get up. I estimate that now is around 9 am. Jiyeon eventually got tired of waking me up so I guess I'd better drag time until 10? 

And so I tried to close my eyes again but I heard footsteps approaching the couch.

"YAAA! WHEN WILL YOU WAKE UP? ITS 9:30 ALREADY!" An annoying Jiyeon pulled my hair out while making a fuss.

"Aaaack! What is wrong with you?!" I unknowingly yelled at her. She seemed to be taken aback. I got up and brushed my hair, "Ugghhh, it hurts..."

She stood and said, "S--Sorry,"

I continuously groaned in pain. She sat beside me and began my hair also. "S-sorry, did it really hurt?"

Slowly, I put my hand down so that it was only her brushing my hair like I was some kind of dog. She was all sorry and sincere but all this time I was pretending that it hurt and smiling because she looked so cute for being sorry. 

"Ya~ you think I will get fooled?" she suddenly held my face and said those words in front of me. She squished my cheeks a lot until I looked like a pig. "So you're laughing about how pathetic I was?"

I shook my head.

"Ayyyy. Don't lie anymore. I saw you smiling while I was brushing your hair."

She had fun of my face- pulling the nose so it looked bigger, stretching the eyes out wide, and pressing the cheeks together like a pig. 

Soon, she was laughing by herself. 

 

I looked at how precious each smile from her was and forgot how I appeared. She laughed like there's no tomorrow but for me it was one of a kind. Each time her eyes sparkle, my heavy thoughts fade away. She was making fun of me, and I'm happy about that. I am happy that I get the chance to make her smile, even in such little ways. 

 

When she was dying of laughter, I made my turn and held her face. She became a lot confused when I looked at her, straight in the eyes. She became more serious than confused when I began leaning into her face. 

And it was only an inch away when she muttered, "K--Kai,"

I stopped and pulled my hand away from her face. I suddenly remembered that I still have a lot more things to take care of. I think it should not be the time yet for my personal feelings. 

"O-Oh... Kai why are you being like this huh?" Jiyeon asked; shock still present in her face. 

I knew myself that she was trying to cover up the flustered and shy look by walking away. So I caught her hand while she was escaping. "Now that you know my name...... why don't we talk about it?"

--

 

"So I guess it's right. You are Kai, just like what Myungsoo said." Jiyeon said as the eggs sizzled on the frying pan while she was cooking them. 

I sat on the chair and waited until she finishes cooking. "I think so. . ." I tapped my fingers on the table thus creating a light sound. "I also think that I am Kai."

"What do you mean you think? Of course you are Kai! Its not like you had amnesia or something." Jiyeon replied as she laid the fried eggs on the table. 

"Well . . . " I whispered. She started eating; I also began touching the food. "Did Myungsoo say anything about me?"

"Uhhhmm. He only said that you were college classmates."

"Ah. Nothing else?"

"Yep." Jiyeon nodded. 

"But Jiyeon.... you've already met him many times right? How is he?" 

Jiyeon stopped eating for a moment and replied, "He is kind. He behaves well during the tests I run on him and really follows my prescriptions. Why don't you go visit him by the way?"

"A....Ah. S-soon, I'll stop by there. But doesn't he mention anything?"

"Hmm," Jiyeon thought while biting her spoon. "Ah! Right! I once heard him arguing with Krystal."

"Argue about what?"

"I have not really heard about the whole thing. . . " 

I snapped my fingers, expressing a 'what a waste' look. That time, a phone call to Jiyeon alarmed us.

"Hello? Now? Ah, later? Okay, okay. Yeah sure, I was busy now anyway." she hung up after talking.

I slightly peeked at who the caller was when she put down the phone. It was Qri. And it was late when I knew that Jiyeon was looking at me all the time when I was peeking at her phone. I was afraid that she'll accuse me of breaking through her privacy but thank God she was thinking of something else. 

"Now that I recall, you don't have a cellphone right?" she asked.

"A...ah, I had one but I did not have it with me when I came here."

"That's right. I should buy you one then."

"E-eh? But then you have to work-"

"Ayyy, Qri called to switch shifts with me. I'm working in the afternoon."

"Ah, really?"

"Yeah, so stop eating and get dressed. It's 11:00 already."

"What, we're going together? You can buy it on your own-"

"I don't know the style that you want. Just go change your clothes. Palli~"

 

 

 

 

 

In no man's time, we reached S mall. She led the way to the 2nd floor where the Samsung shop is located. "Tada~ Go on, pick what you want." she offered.

"This," I showed her one phone. 

"Seriously? Its on sale and the oldest model!"

"Its cheap so. ."

She kept wandering around so I was forced to look around too. "Ahh, this," I showed her another phone. 

"Mmm. The features are good but apart from being small-sized, the style's a bit outdated." she rejected it again.

Aiiissh, what's the point of making me choose when she herself, wants to decide what to buy?!

 

 

Until 12, I think I've showed her around 15 types of phone but it was all rejected. It was only then when she picked the latest model out and made me choose it by force. 

"Okay, let's get this." she said.

"Jiyeon, it's worth 200 dollars! I may not be able to pay you back!"

"Ayyyy- If you ever think of going back to where you came from, you can just give it to me. I'm not giving it to you either."

"Ugh! I told you we should get the cheap one!"

"Ya, ya- keep quiet. You're like a kid!" 

My wailing was all useless because she has already paid for the phone. "Here, I already entered my number so call or text me if anything happens. It's good that you don't have to run all the way to the hospital when you need something."

I accepted it half-heartedly while we rushed out of the mall. "I have to go to work now. Let's separate here." she muttered.

When she looked for a taxi, I took a picture of her. She didn't notice that so I took a lot more pictures. I was happy because the phone's quality is so good and so her pictures were all nicely captured. Although she looked haggard, she still appeared beautiful on camera with an undone hair.

I put down the phone when she rode the taxi, waving goodbye to me. Awhile later, I took the city bus home. 

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

As soon as I reached the hospital, Kai texted me. "Are you there?" 

I replied hastily, "Yeah. I just arrived. You? Are you in the house?"

"No. . . I'm at your hospital."

"Really?" I looked around to see someone that's maybe him.

"Keke. Just kidding. ^0^ " he texted.

"-.- I don't have time for your jokes, Kai." I replied as I made my way to the office.

"Haha. . . Look! I'm right behind you! :)"

I turned around thinking he was really there but there were only nurses present. He texted me again, "Hahaha! Did you really turn around? ke ke ke x)"

"In your face! >0< Stop bothering me. . ." I replied.

"You must look sooo funny right now. . . xx)" 

I was in the midst of texting him curse words when Chanyeol came. "Oh? I've never seen you busily texting someone. . . who is it?"

"A...ah... Eh? M-me? Ah, no! I wasn't texting Chanyeol."

"Then what are you doing on your phone?"

"Ahhh.... that,"

Chanyeol sighed. "Lately, you're not texting me anymore. . . I keep sending you MMS of everything I do but I don't get any replies.... It's unfair Jiyeon!" he protested like a child who demands the TV channel be switched to Cartoon Network in the midst of a news report. 

"A-ahh. . . Chanyeol it isn't like-" 

"I know, I know. You don't have to explain Jiyeon."

"Aaaaaah, Chanyeol ah, you're thinking wrongly!" I nagged just to make him feel better. 

"I'm giving you a chance to make up for those things," he said. 

"E-eh?" I asked. 

"You don't want? So you're really abandoning me Jiyeon...." he replied and tried to shake my hands off from clinging onto him. 

"A----ah...! No! What is it? What do I have to do?"

Chanyeol grinned. "7:00 PM. Lotte World. See you there!" he said and abruptly ran off. 

That's it? That's all that he wants? Owww.. I thought it would be a bit harder. Whoaaa, as expected, Chanyeol can't afford to make me suffer. Haha.

I looked at my phone only to see a series of texts from Kai. 

"Arraseo. . . I won't bother you."

"You are not mad, right?"

"Jiyeon?"

". . ."

"T_T"

"Annyeong. . ."

He must've sent those when I was talking to Chanyeol. Ha! It's better this way so that I'll get more focus on work. I'll just text him later when I'm on break. 

I looked at the clock and noted that it was 1:30 pm when I started the shift.

--

 

 

3 hours later.

I had less patients that time so I took my phone. It was amazing that Kai did not actually texted again. Ahhh. He's keeping his word. I should just text him later. 

 

1 hour later. 

I once again had a spare time and checked on my phone. There were no new messages. Tsss. He's really not texting me. Should I text him? Mmmm, later?

"Hey..." I sent him a short message. 

 

1 hour later @ 6:30 pm. 

For the last time, I tried to check my phone again. But still, there was no reply. He must be sulking.

"Hey, stop sulking." I texted him. 10 minutes later, there was still no reply. 

"Kai, stop it. I'm not mad or what." I texted him again. 

I waited 5 minutes for a reply but I failed to get one. "If you won't reply, I'll get that phone back. Seriously."

 

In the meantime, I got ready because there was only 15 minutes left til 7:00 pm. I remember that I had to meet Chanyeol. I took my white coat off and put on the casual one. I was heading for the exit when suddenly, a commotion happened. 

"Doctor! Doctor!" the nurses gathered. I knew that they were calling me. "That patient, he said his leg hurts! He's screaming in pain now!" the nurse said.

"W-Who?!" I asked.

"No. 127. . . Myungsoo ssi,"

"What?!" I uttered in shock. I looked at the clock and there were only 10 minutes left til 7 pm. Also at that time, I received a phone call. The caller ID displayed 'Kai' and so I answered it. 

"Hello?"

"J--J--Jiyeon. . . , " Kai's voice sounded like it was shivering.  "H..help..... M---My arm. . ." he said, almost whispering and at the same time groaning in pain. 

"W--What happened?!" I asked him but an incoming text message interfered. I opened it which came from Chanyeol.

"Jiyeon ah, you did not forget about tonight right? I'm waiting for you~~ <3 <3 ^^"

Receiving that, I almost had to bang my head on the wall. 

 

In front of me is a nurse who says a patient is having complications and urgently needs medical assistance. In my head, Kai's gruesome voice that groans in pain echoes through my whole lobe, while my heart is having doubts to make up for the things I did to a very close, childhood friend. 

 

 

In a split second, I made up my mind and ran. 

 

 

*OMG! What happened? Jiyeon is faced with a big crisis! To my readers who are also keen observers, where do you think Jiyeon ran off to? Myungsoo, who is her patient and is having complications? Kai, whom she knew as a stranger for several months and is suffering in pain without clear cause? Or Chanyeol, whom she grew up together as a childhood friend and is now hoping that she'll make up for the past 'no communication' days? I'd appreciate some comments down below! ^^*