Chapter 18

Hello, Stranger!

THE BATTLE►

 

-Chanyeol's POV-

I looked at my watch while I sat on one of the benches just surrounding the fountain. It was already 9 pm and I was alone in Lotte World's event centre. As the cold wind kissed my skin, I decided to call it a day.

"Uhh, let's wrap up for now..." I could only say to the employees who were there that time. "Take off the banner and blow the candles. And also, please sweep off the petals of roses on the ground. Today's event is cancelled..." I said, fully regretting everything.

"How about the cake sir?"

I looked at the 3-layered cake which had Jiyeon's name on it. "You can eat it together with the other staffs." I smiled. "I was going to throw it anyway." Then, I walked out of the place.

At 7:00 pm, I told Jiyeon to come because I had prepared an event for her. I invested a lot of time and thought to this very important event. Since 4 pm, I already made the necessary preparations. I even hung a banner that says 'To Jiyeon who I like and. . . love.' I personally rolled out the red carpet and scattered rose petals around. With the help of the employees, I arranged 100 candles into a heart shape and lit them one by one. Furthermore, I wore my best suit and went to get the personalized cake that I had ordered 1 month before. Tonight, I was supposed to tell my true feelings for Jiyeon which were gone unnoticed all this time. I was supposed to show her this serious and manly side of mine. I was supposed to. . . . properly ask her out. 

 

-Stranger's POV- 

After I sent Jiyeon a series of texts pleading her not to be mad, I suddenly got bored being alone in the house. I told her I will not bother her anymore so I have to live up to my word. Then, I suddenly recalled the days when I was in my hometown. 

I remembered how I used to climb trees and pick fruits which were fresh and ripe. The moments when I swam all day in the river, thinking that I'll catch freshwater fishes. There were also times when I'd crumple paper and play baseball with the other village kids.

I probably forget how those felt like because my injured arm limited my actions for 3 months. But then now that I got the cast taken off, the feelings come back and it makes me reminisce about them more. 

 

And so the whole afternoon, I missed my right arm so much that I unkowingly did some household chores.

Making use of the sun's beaming rays, I did the laundry: both using the washing machine and handwashing myself. I was very happy because I can feel my arm again. Not like when it was wrapped in a cast, nimble and numb.

Next, I tried to do a general cleaning of the house myself. Well, it's just that I became bothered to see cobwebs hanging at every corner. At first, I only thought to take the webs out but the more I observe, the more I see dust all around! So yeah, I kinda broke into a pool of sweat because of that. 

 

And then at last, the sun was slowly going down. It gave me way to water the tiny plants which Jiyeon planted around the house. I quite had fun with the sprinkler even though there were only a couple of plants to be watered. 

 

By 5:30 pm, I decided to make the rice ready, so I turned the rice cooker on while I took a rest in the living room. I took my phone and saw a text message from Jiyeon. 

"Hey..."

I smiled because I really would never thought that she'll text me. Does this mean that she actually cares for me? Shall I stall for more time and be quiet for another hour and see if she'll send a message?

 

 

@ 6:30 pm. Exactly as I thought, Jiyeon sent me a text message. Now I know that she really cares! "Hey.. stop sulking." her text read. 

For a moment, I put down the phone because the ramen I was cooking boiled. And after 10 minutes, I came back to the couch and received another text from her. "Kai, stop it. I'm not mad or what."

With that text, I brought the phone with me as I pour out the ramen from the lid pot to the bowl. I typed in "Hahaha! I'm laughing at you- - -" when suddenly my arm stung. It hurt so badly that I dropped the phone down. Eventually, I had to lie down on the floor while curling up and groaning in pain. I thought I had to endure it, but the feeling lasted longer that what I guessed. 

While lying down, I reached for my phone and dialled Jiyeon's number. "Hello?" she answered. 

"J--J-Jiyeon. . . h-help... m-my arm. . ." I said, desperately trying to convey my current situation.

"What. . . happened?!" she asked. 

I was ready to tell her what happened when the call ended.

 

-Myungsoo's POV-

It was late afternoon when I turned the TV on for some news. Fortunately, the hospital has cable channels and that made me switch to different TV stations. 

I think I spent some time just watching the finals of the footbal league game. Then I switched the channel to watch dramas which I easily got bored of. At the end, I decided to turn the TV off because it wasn't helping any at all to relieve my boredom. 

The room got quiet with me lying on the bed and with Krystal not being around. I glanced at my leg to see how it was like for the past 3 days that I've been here in the hospital. It seemed bad because it was wrapped in a stainless steel tube. Krystal said that it has around 18 stitches and would probably take 3 months to heal. 

But I really don't think it would be that long. I believe in myself more than anyone else would and I estimate that 3 days is enough. 

 

I had such strong will and determination so I slowly went out of the bed. Sitting on the edge, I thought of standing up with my two legs together planted on the ground. Up to that moment, I firmly believed that it was nothing serious and that all I needed was great timing and effort.

And so within a second, I made up my mind and bravely stood without any support and relying only to the two legs I had. For 5 seconds, I felt nothing at all. Instead, I witnessed it myself that I was really standing on the ground. 

I even tried to shake the injured leg to see if it would react; not a thing occured. I was happy because I completely thought that I was all good. 

 

But then when I climbed up the bed again, I felt my leg numb.

Suddenly, it's like millions of sharp needles pierced through my skin and I cannot help but to scream in pain. I held on to my leg but the pain is just too much that I feel like screaming would just make it worse.

Luckily, a nurse was passing by and heard me shrudding and screaming in pain. 

 

-Author's POV-

The hospital turned chaotic that time and on the other hand, Kai is trying hard to endure the pain from the house. Jiyeon is the main character of today's event and she alone can decide for herself. Not to mention Chanyeol out there also waiting for her to meet him. In short, she was stuck in a tough choice where she might have to balance the weight that is on her shoulders. 

She is currently being surrounded by nurses and she has to think fast. 

Where to go? That is the question that lingers on her mind. And in just a while, she makes up a decision. 

Slowly, she squeezes herself and makes her way out of the crowd. She makes sure she was in the right sense for making the right decision. 

Then, she inhales deeply and runs. 

 

 

 

 

Gasping for air, she opens the door. At that very moment, the door to Myungsoo's room and the door to the house where Kai is in: both opened. 

 

-Stranger's POV-

I badly tried to endure the tingling pain in my arm, hoping for Jiyeon to come. A few minutes later, I heard footsteps from outside the house. 

I crawled myself from the kitchen towards the living room. Heaps of sweat fall down on my face and I breathed heavily. 

 

At last, the door opened and someone came rushing in.

 

"Hyung. . . !"

"J. . . Jiyeon," I faded a whisper when I found out that it was not her at all. 

"Hyung! Are you okay?!" Jonghyun exclaimed. 

I heard him before I lost my senses. 

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

Gasping for air, I put on the lab gown and opened the door to Myungsoo's room. He was on top of the bed, screaming loudly in pain.

I went to him, "Myungsoo. . . calm down!" I grabbed an injection and injected some medicine on him. It was a strong painkiller. 

Seconds after, he calms down and sits on the edge of the bed. I held his face, looking at his bewildered and tired expression. "What happened?" I asked him.

"I didn't know. . . . ." he replied while staring blankly at me. Him not being his normal self is an effect of the painkiller I gave. 

I hugged him lightly and muttered, "Don't worry, its nothing serious." I consoled him and laid him on the bed. I stood by his side and brushed his hair as his eyes got teary. Even with the painkiller, the pain might still be there somehow enough for him to flinch. 

He closed his eyes and I guess he was ready for sleep. I, then, prepared to leave the room. But he got hold of my hand so I turned around to face him.

With begging eyes, he whispered, "It hurts. . . "

I caressed his hand which was holding mine and assured him, "Bear with it for the night. . . We'll see what we can do tomorrow morning." I smiled and slowly slipped off from his hand. 

"I need nurses to standby for him the whole night." I spoke to the intern nurses.  I once looked at him who was sleeping already and then went out of the room. 

 

 

 

As I entered my office, I picked my phone. Before I forget, I had to tell Chanyeol I was sorry for not being able to make it. Being his friend, I'm sure he'd consider this situation right? 

So I texted him, "Sorry, I can't make it.... there's still next time right?" Either way, it's already 9 pm and I guess he would not wait until this time.

 

-Stranger's POV-

I woke up in the hospital that morning. I was lying in bed with IV drips and saw the sun rising from the east. I was just a bit bothered when I saw someone familiar sitting in front of me. He was also facing the sun so I only saw his back.

Slowly, he turned around and faced me.

I rubbed my eyes because my vision was slightly unclear that moment.

"It's funny how fate always wants us to see each other. . . . . . Is fate by my side. . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . Kim Myungsoo?" I heard him speak; the person who was sitting in front of me--- the guy who was. . . . . . . . . . in a wheelchair. 

 

 

*The Battle has officially started! Now I guess everybody is getting the whole picture? YES! Kai is Krystal's brother and the stranger is none other than Myungsoo! Everyone should be asking why there was a name change.... Find out Kai's ulterior motives in the next chapter! :D*