Chapter 24

Hello, Stranger!

DOUBT

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

The sun's radiance which was slowly starting to peek into the closed windows woke me up from a deep sleep. My head feels heavy and there was still this smell from my mouth. I was surprised to see myself lying down on the couch, with blankets on. I couldn't remember a thing that night- I mean, I couldn't remember the next moments after I drank that one shot.

"Are you alright?" I heard a voice. The face was near to me, yet it was fuzzy and blurry. 

I moaned. "Your friends went home a little earlier. I moved you to the couch because you looked so uncomfortable sleeping on the table." Ahh, this voice- i recognize it was mom's. "But you sure drink a lot." 

I slowly got up and held my head out of dizziness. "And I hangover a lot." 

"Mm, that's good." My mother said, assisting me to get my senses back. 

I looked at her. "What's good?"

"Because you socialize."

"UGH. No- nonono. I'm not gonna argue because my head feels so sick." 

I saw her smile, before she tried to fix my messy hair. "Breakfast, I need breakfast." 

I left her and made my way to the kitchen, half-awakedly. I sat down and saw a complete meal and a coffee. "Wah, it looks so tasty but my head ugh," I banged my head to the edge of the table; only the sound of clanging metal chopsticks stopped me. I looked up, it was Kai. It was him who placed the chopsticks. He also seemed to be suffering from a hangover. 

However, he had an apron, and the smell of raw coffee beans stuck on him. I grabbed the chopsticks, and he grabbed my head. 

Suddenly, he started the temples of my forehead where I think the pain must be coming from. It felt so good that I was as if energized. Now his fingers went to the nape of my neck, and gave it a proper massage.

By then, I was a little bothered by the tiny shivers whenever his bare skin touches mine. I shook my shoulders signaling him to stop. He sat beside me and started eating.

Mother came and examined us but more like me. "Kai is such a good cook." she said. "I told him I'd do it but he insisted since his arms are free anyway." 

I looked at him and something bothered my mind. It felt like something happened last night. I was certain, it had something to do with him, but I just can't remember.

--

"Are you going to work?" Kai asked. 

"Yeah, the hangover's a bit gone anyway." I was washing the dishes and he was beside me. 

"Ah, by the way, I'll be going out today." he said.

"Where?"

"I'm going to find a job," 

I listened.

"I'll be moving out soon.

I stopped and the sound of the gushing water from the faucet was the only thing that flew into the air. I pretended I was never shocked and replied, "That's good." I didn't look at him, although I wanted to know what he thinks. 
He walked away and I tried not to be so emotional.

--

That day, I went to the hospital with several things in mind. My patients, Chanyeol.... and Kai.

Walking across the hallway, I saw Myungsoo as he paced with his cane towards me. I was grateful he no longer had those crutches. "Oh, Myungsoo! Wah- it looks good. You're recovering!"

He smiled. "It's because of you Doctor, I mean, Jiyeon."

I smiled back. Just then, I saw Chanyeol at the end of the hallway and I wanted to get a conversation.

"Umm, excuse me- " I took a step to follow Chanyeol but Myungsoo blocked my path with himself. I looked at him, who was staring at me. 

"I heard you had a get together last night."

"Yeah. Krystal told you?" 

He nodded.

"So yeah, will you excuse me--?" Again, I, in an attempt to talk, ran to Chanyeol who already disappeared. But Myungsoo this time grabbed my hand tightly. Again also, I looked at him. For several seconds, I noticed his grip getting tighter, and his gaze changing into a furious one. 

"Myungsoo ah, why are you like this?" Then, his previous look returned and he let go of my hand. I twisted my wrist because it felt numb.

"I-I'm sorry. I just ah," he said in an awkward manner. "I wanted to ask you a favor."

I doubted him; he sweated a lot and his actions were just so mysterious. "What is it?"
But still, I answered.

 

-Myungsoo/Stranger's POV-

Under the scorching heat of the sun, I toured the city to find a job. I was not able to graduate college, but if I were to, it will be an art university anyway. I had no idea on what to fill up if ever I made a resume. However, I was a painter, a fast learner, and you might say- smart.

I came across several establishments but they all have the same requirements, that is, a college graduate with a good track record. And I had none of those. 

But then, just before lunch, I found this small museum that was looking for a Museum Guide. A good speaking ability and having an eye for paintings were the only requirements. When I saw this, I felt like I've hit the jackpot. However, I could see an enormous long line of applicants for the position.

"I won't lose this!" I told myself as a motivation, and fell in line. 

The people who aspired for the job, I noticed, were bringing with them their resumes, perhaps to impress the manager. I, on the other hand, had nothing in my hands.

And finally, I was next in line for the interview. When the person before me came out of the room, he looked distressed and shocked. "Good luck," He said to me, in a hopeless tone.

"Next please,"

I got up and entered the room.

Inside, I saw a man sitting on a chair with a desk, and a separate chair opposite of him. I sat down and smiled as I do not know how to start. 

"Your name...?" he asked; his forehead creased.

"Kim Myungsoo."

"Okay so, Kim Myungsoo, this will be a very short interview." I nodded.

He asked my educational background and my personal background as well. I came to the point when I felt comfortable talking with him, and it also came down to that one question. 

"You see, this is a bondpaper and a pencil." He pointed to the items laid on his table. "Get it, come on." He urged me like some puppy. I picked those and listened to his next instruction. "Now, in the span of a minute, will you draw a rough sketch of what you think the meaning of love is?"

I thought for a moment and then started scribbling. 

--

I got out of the room and was told to wait for the announcement of results. After an hour, the manager in charge came out.

The people crowded on him, anxious to hear their names. 

"The result is out. For the position of a Museum Guide, -----------------   Kim Myungsoo is hired."

Yes, I heard my name, and at the same time, I heard heaps of sighs and murmurs from the crowd. I stepped out of the said crowd and faced the manager.

"Kim Myungsoo ssi, I am very much impressed by your sketch. Others drew their families, partners and memories. But for you, it was exceptional to draw the sketch of a beating heart."

I smiled out of happiness. "It's because I thought people already fail to realize what makes it possible to love. They seem to forget that one organ that beats the most and gives them shivering hormones when they become attracted to someone. I was also shocked that I thought of it." I giggled.

"Anyway, congratulations. So, would you be starting tomorrow?" The manager said, shaking my hands at the same time. 

"Please expect that." I smiled.

--

On my way home, I stopped by a convenience store to buy some soda. When I was on the cashier to pay, my cellular phone vibrated. I slid it to unlock.

"Jiyeon is with me. You know what that means right? Think whatever you want- and find us." The message said, and it came from an unknown number. 

In a hurry, I left the bottle of cider at the counter and rushed outside. I clenched my fist and sprinted at full speed----------

I found out I was running to the hospital, the only place I knew where Jiyeon and Kai would meet. I was very certain that this was none other than Kai's doings. 

I looked for her at her office, but she wasn't there. I searched her at the operating rooms but there was no Jiyeon of some kind. Until, I went deep for the basement carpark and saw Kai's cream colored hair. He was alone as I scanned the place.

Then, Jiyeon came out of a car and Kai went towards her. She wasn't aware that Kai was there, at least that's what I thought. 

As Kai grew nearer and nearer to Jiyeon, my heart was also getting fiercer. And when he finally went to touch her shoulders, I ran and pushed him away- ramming him to the car's windshield. It produced a loud noise, and I saw Jiyeon tremble in shock.

"How did you get my number?!" I grabbed Kai's collar, still shoving him in.

"Myungsoo ah!" I turned to face Jiyeon who screamed for help. How I hoped she was actually calling my real name. But she called for Kai, as Myungsoo, and pushed me away. "Ya- are you okay?" She lifted Kai and touched its stiff back. I watched them and was puzzled. 

"Whaa... Why...?!" I told myself. She looked at me and had this glare that could kill a man. 

"Kai, are you crazy? Why are you doing this?" I stayed speechless. 

"Get away from him, Jiyeon." I told her, but she replied with a slap landing on my face turning it to red.

"I don't understand you..." she whispered, but I heard it. 

"I'm okay Jiyeon. Stop it," Kai interrupted. He was now able to stand firm and had that bittersweet smile of success hanging onto his lip. 

"It was only the beginning. And now, you've just made me certain what your weakness is." He told me, when he overtook Jiyeon's figure. 

Eventually, they left me; Jiyeon carried Kai over her shoulders. 

--

The road seemed narrow for Myungsoo, as he walked dead inside. He crossed the stoplights without hesitation and ignored the beeping of horns towards him. 

When he was busy ignoring the rest of the world, Krystal was there, at the sidewalk, observing him for his actions.

Eventually, Myungsoo had stopped at the bridge and sat on the edge of the mould. He looked at the sky but absolutely, he had no thoughts of jumping in. He just wanted to at least get some stress off. 

Krystal had followed him all the way but still hesitated to get some talking.

"Hey," Krystal finally opened up. 

Myungsoo smiled at her and the woman now stood beside him. 

"Why are you here?"

"Mm. I just want to."

"I wonder what happened?" Krystal asked; she carefully thought of that question.

There was a long pause--------  to the point that only the rushing wind and the serene breathing of the still waters could only be heard.

"I don't understand..." Myungsoo's voice began to crack. Krystal peeked at his face and knew that he was on the verge of crying. "I loved her, and I wanted to protect her.... why can't she believe me?"

In the middle of the bridge, Myungsoo was torn between crying and keeping his emotions steady. But after everything that happened to him that day, he figured that it was okay for men to cry, and so he did------- heavily. 

Krystal also had not managed to keep the tears to herself, and so she started to cry, but less heavily than what Myungsoo did. 

"Myungsoo ah," she called onto him. The man looked up when he heard his name. "I'm sorry for everything. I mean, I'm just sorry.." 

Then, she wrapped Myungsoo's head into her arms, and thought of the deal she had made with her brother, Kai. 

 

*I actually made some time this week so can I say that I'm back to writing? But still, I urge you all to get mad at me. HAHA :)

And! By the way, I wanted to specially mention saeoh-chan for her very overwhelming comments. I actually get happy when you guys spam comments <3