Chapter 6

Hello, Stranger!

REGRET

 

There he laid, with arms spread out widely-- and blood gushing out from his nose.

 

I made my way to him, checking his condition. "Hey. Are you okay?" 

He remained unmoving and speechless. I softly tapped his forehead with my palms, "You're hot,"

--

The sun's rays that beamed throughout the window woke me up. I realized it was a brand new day. I also noticed that I was already laying down in bed, with a pair of cotton stuck into my nose, and a damp cloth on top of my forehead. 

I lifted my body and saw Jiyeon sitting on a stool, resting its arms on the edge of the bed-- obviously sleeping, and a basin filled with water beside her. Furthermore, I figured out that my cast has been changed.

Carefully, I leaned to her perfectly shaped face and observed its physique for a moment. Without knowing, I softly carressed the strands of hair that cover almost half of her face. This gave me a better look at her- the blushing cheeks, the pale red lips, and the creases on her forehead which served as a signage for extreme stress. She also had her hair messed around, as if she didn't give a single, damn care about it. But all of these features of her did not matter, I mean... just that--

"O--Oh.." Her eyes slowly opened at the last touch I gave. Yawning, she continued, "You're a-awake.."

I quickly withdrew my hand from her face and acted as if I was checking on my arm.

"Yeah. I even saw you drool." It was a joke for me, but I ended up being skeptical.

"Did I?" She wondered and wiped off . I giggled inside, not letting her know.

"I'm hungry." I said and slided down the bed. 

"Hey hey, careful with your arm.." she responded.

 

 

 

 

I quietly sat down on the chair while Jiyeon cooked. 

"What did you do yesterday?" We both said in unison.

She looked at me curiously. 

"Me first." We both said again in perfect timing, amazingly. 

This time, she faced what she's cooking, as if giving up on having my answer.

"I told you... I was at the hospital." There was obviously doubt in her voice.

"Oh. Yeah I forgot." I replied with sarcasm.

"And you? What did you do to break a bone again and catch a fever?" she scolded while placing the platter of food in front of me.

"I....I just wanted to see those picture frames on top of the cabinet. W--W-why?! Is it bad?" I took a spoonful of fried rice.

She slammed the table with her palms. "Didn't I tell you to not touch anything here?"

I looked at her, shocked-- with rice still stuck into my mouth.

So this is how she loses her patience. Well I have a reason to lose my patience too.

I stood up and faced her, "Why don't you go to work today?! Go and have that 'Board of Director's meeting!'"

"Huh! Why do you even bring that topic now?? she confidently replied.

"Its just that after breaking another bone again, I ran and went to YOUR hospital! I asked the in-charge where PARK JIYEON was and she said YOU FILED A LEAVE that day! So I went to your office to confirm that you really did file a leave and found LEE QRI there. She offered to change my cast but I denied. Now, who's in the wrong place?!" I finished talking not noticing the grains of rice spitting out from my mouth.

"J-J-Juust---- AISSSHHH! Why does it even matter to you? Why does it matter if I lied or not? We all have our personal lives right?" she stuttered and crossed her arms. "And why did you deny Qri's offer?? Perhaps... you wanted ME to change it for you?! HAH!!"

"M-Me?! Y-You?! NO WAY!" I sat down and continued munching the rice. "You won't eat?" I looked up to her, immediately forgetting the argument just seconds ago. 

Her creased face calmed down and grabbed my bowl of rice. "Go cook your own food!" And disappeared to the living room.

"Y--Y-YAAAA!" I cursed myself. Together with it, my stomach growled and in order to survive the hunger, I had no choice but to yeah-- cook food my own.

I took the frying pan out and cracked an egg. Mixing the egg on the sizzling, frying pan, a thought came to my mind. I just realized when she mentioned it.

Amidst the pain I was feeling that time, why did I even deny Qri's help? Hmmmm. I mean I could easily reach out to her but I wonder why... WHY did I wait for Jiyeon instead? 

I shook my head in confusion. Ahhh, maybe because she's more expert at these kind of things. But still... Why did I even think of her when there are plenty of on-duty doctors in the hospital?

I spat my head lightly. No, its nothing. There's nothing---

"Aaaaacckk!" My left hand's index finger was burned. I quickly blew it and jumped in pain. Coincidentally, Jiyeon was in the sink, washing her hands and noticed me. I pretended like everything was fine and showed her a professional chef's pose. 

She neared to me. In addition, she grabbed my hand and lifted it. "Tssssss. I guess trouble doesn't leave you mister."

Abruptly, she dropped it and pushed me away. "Go sit. I'll finish cooking for you."

 

 

 

 

Silence filled the house as Jiyeon fed me a spoonful of kimbap.

"You're going to work?" I asked. 

She shook her head.

"Why? Did you file a leave again?"

"No."

"You're sick?"

"No."

"Then..."

"I won't go to work because I'm afraid you'll hurt yourself again. PLUS, I don't wanna see my house go into ruins because of you. Understand?" 

I nodded.

"Okay stay there. I'll wash these first."

"Alright." 

As soon as she turned her back to me, I quietly stood up. 

"If I say stay, you stay okay?" 

I froze in my position and was greatly amazed at her great premonitions. 

"Y-Yes." I muttered and sat back, just as she said.

 

--

"Come with me," she spoke as she held a kit-like object in her hand. I followed as well. 

"Okay take a sit."

I sat down on the couch. She did the same too. At the same time, she opened the kit which turned out to be a medical kit and lifted my hand up.

"I'm going to change your cast."

I remained speechless and watched her as she expertly unwrapped my arm from the cast.

"Aaaackk-" I fidgeted the moment the last wrap was taken out.

"It's okay. This will only take a few minutes." she reassured. 

I leaned back, refusing to see the condition of my arm.

"I think it's best if we wrap your arm in a few more weeks."

"W-Why?"

"Tsk, tsk. It's terrible."

"What do you mean t-terrible?" I shivered.

"Terrible! Just as the word says."

I leaned forward trying to take a peek at how terrible it was.

"Yaaa, don't move." But she was already in the midst of closing the cast. What i saw was pure bandages. 

I don't know if I should feel disappointed because I haven't got the chance to see it or happy, because I did not see its might-be-shocking condition.

"Allllllrigght. Its done." 

I exhaled almost a ton of air just as a critical person would do if the surgical operation goes right for him.

"Oh wait---" She remained holding my hand.

"What?"

"Your finger got burned right?" She took out another band-aid and wrapped it around my finger.

"No, its okay. Its just a small burn--"

"No. We must treat every wound, be small or big, with great care."

"Ugh--" I moaned, annoyed.

"You can't argue okay? I'm a doctor and I'm trained to do this."

For a few seconds she looked at me straightly in the eyes, eyes- filled with too much care and concern. And not only was she staring at me, but her hand which holds on tightly to mine also quite gave me a shivering feeling. And I couldn't do nothing but to return the gaze that she threw at me because-

Because I'm certain that this is the first time I've felt this kind of way. 

The first time I felt my heart skipping a beat.

The first time I was caught speechless, freezing and unmoving.

"Y-Yeaaah. I u-understand." I stuttered, signaling that I was back to my normal self. She smiled and it ignited my initial feelings again. Damn.

She then left and disappeared to her room. I was left in the living room.

--

2 hours later.

"Checkmate!!!" Jiyeon yelled excitedly. I stared at the chessboard.

"What checkmate are you saying?" I grabbed a horse piece and 'ate' her king. "Oh- I've just won." I displayed a mischievous smile and watched her curse herself.

"H-How.......?"

"Well well. I told you you can't beat me."

She first gathered all her aches and blurted out, "YYAAAAAAA! NEXT GAME, I WILL WIN FOR SURE!!!" 

I smirked. "Should we have a second round?"

"HECK YEAH!" she said like a hungry lion. 

I quietly rearranged the chess pieces together, as if  was sure of a win.

"Okay. Since I won last game, I'll let you go first." 

"Sure."

 

 

After 10 minutes.

"Oops. I won again." Haha I loved to see the annoyed look on her face. Then on a second thought, I flipped the chessboard upside down. "S-Sorry. Haha, losers keepers." It was really funny to see her face sore and red, almost fuming with smokes.

And before she could even land her steel-like hand to my face, I disappeared to the kitchen.

 

"YAAAAAA!"

 

I almost jumped in shock when she suddenly popped out by my side. I pretended like I never saw her and opened the cabinet, searching for snacks. 

She said nothing.

I looked at her, "What?"

In a blink of an eye, she snatched the snack right from my hand and vanished quickly, leaving the door slamming.

-Jiyeon's POV-

Together with the snatched snack, I snuck out of the house to find some air. UGHHHH, I should've gone to work rather than seeing that guy's face!! JUST SO ANNOYING!

 

I spent time in the street, roaming and glancing around. There were sweet couples around, and I can't help but to turn to the other side, preventing myself from fidgeting because of too much cheeeeziness.

 

Then I took a short shopping at the lounges, just another ordinary girl would do. I never knew but I was actually enjoying this 'free' time of mine. I realized that it's good to have a breathe of fresh air too.

 

While on the mall, I saw a hotdog steamed bun and purchased one. I was about to pay to the cashier when I thought of buying two instead of one. Well for who else? That damn guy. 

 

An hour passed and my legs felt exhausted already. So I decided to head back home and spend the rest of the day with the most annoying person ever.

--

5.00 PM

The traffic stuck me up for almost 2 hours. It was dark already and the sun was slowly setting. 

I stepped in the house without making a noise. As usual, the house was dark. The 'guy' did not even bother to turn on the lights or make something productive.

I was worried that something happened again so I nervously the lights, with a hinch of hope that everything was perfectly fine.

 

And thank God it was.

 

Everything was just the way they were when I left.

The stranger was gone out of the living room and was soundly sleeping in the room.

A cup noodle was left in the table.

And a couple of unwashed dishes laid down the sink.

 

I turned to the kitchen and took a frying pan out. I'd almost turn the stove on when a knock came into my ears-

I approached the door and twisted it open.

"Yes-" I was not able to finish my sentence when I saw the shadow of this very familiar person.

"Surprise." He said and smiled all the way to his ears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"C-C-CHANYEOL?!" I blurted.

 

 

A/N: I AM SORRY FOR THE VERY LATE UPDATE T^T WILL YOU FORGIVE ME AND STICK WITH ME TIL THE END? THERE'S MORE TO COME!!! Bye- I'm off to study XOXO

PS: I MISS YOU READERS <3